Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The most important thing about our signings 22:21 - Jul 14 with 2427 viewswkj

Is they all seem to have resale potential.

As we know, many of the signings we made under Evans were players who were likely not to have many years left in the game, or if they did, there were approaching decline.

No one want's to be a selling club, but it is a strategy we see working for teams.

As discussed on here, our academy is not producing any income - so we may find ourselves cycling through players over the next few seasons. I hope we manage to use this to our advantage and get into the promised land once more.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

The most important thing about our signings on 08:20 - Jul 15 with 2177 viewsitfcjoe

I don't really think that is the case - Harper aside - we are buying players in their prime who realistically unless they are exceptional we aren't going to make money on. Especially as we are no doubt handing out very healthy contracts

If you want players with resale value then they need to be U23 really, with the ceiling to play in the Premier League - bar Harper again - I really don't think that is the case.

This is win now mode, and sign players who will be able to contribute in Championship

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

The most important thing about our signings on 08:25 - Jul 15 with 2151 viewstractorboy1978

The most important thing about our signings on 08:20 - Jul 15 by itfcjoe

I don't really think that is the case - Harper aside - we are buying players in their prime who realistically unless they are exceptional we aren't going to make money on. Especially as we are no doubt handing out very healthy contracts

If you want players with resale value then they need to be U23 really, with the ceiling to play in the Premier League - bar Harper again - I really don't think that is the case.

This is win now mode, and sign players who will be able to contribute in Championship

Yes, it very much looks a squad built to go through this division, to stick together and with a couple more additions comfortably stay up in the Championship. Then we build from there.
The most important thing about our signings on 09:09 - Jul 15 with 2095 viewsPhilTWTD

I remember saying some months ago they'd be trying to assemble a Championship squad and this does look as near to that as can be managed, I think. The players we've signed have largely been signed ahead of Championship rather than League One opposition even if most of them weren't at Championship clubs.

Wes Burns had actually agreed to join Coventry this summer before Fleetwood took a one-year option which meant they couldn't do the deal. Fleetwood weren't expected to as the option meant his wages went up to a level they couldn't afford. That meant there was a fee which Coventry couldn't stretch to.
The most important thing about our signings on 09:15 - Jul 15 with 2056 viewsitfcjoe

The most important thing about our signings on 09:09 - Jul 15 by PhilTWTD

I remember saying some months ago they'd be trying to assemble a Championship squad and this does look as near to that as can be managed, I think. The players we've signed have largely been signed ahead of Championship rather than League One opposition even if most of them weren't at Championship clubs.

Wes Burns had actually agreed to join Coventry this summer before Fleetwood took a one-year option which meant they couldn't do the deal. Fleetwood weren't expected to as the option meant his wages went up to a level they couldn't afford. That meant there was a fee which Coventry couldn't stretch to.

Crazy that a newly promoted Championship club couldn't stretch to £150k, plus you see Fraser heavily linked with Hull and then they go under an embargo

I saw a journo say only 4 clubs in L1 can afford fees this summer, must be a similar case for the bottom 8 or so of the Championship.

We've really lucked into a summer of having money, when the market is depressed, and most other clubs finances are screwed - we can't miss this opportunity

The most important thing about our signings on 09:19 - Jul 15 with 2018 viewsElderGrizzly

The most important thing about our signings on 09:15 - Jul 15 by itfcjoe

Crazy that a newly promoted Championship club couldn't stretch to £150k, plus you see Fraser heavily linked with Hull and then they go under an embargo

I saw a journo say only 4 clubs in L1 can afford fees this summer, must be a similar case for the bottom 8 or so of the Championship.

We've really lucked into a summer of having money, when the market is depressed, and most other clubs finances are screwed - we can't miss this opportunity

Yes, we can't afford to screw up the advantage this summer, similarly to when Evans first got us and he mis-spent due to incompetent management/ownership.

A relatively small outlay this season, spent well, should be enough to get us up.

And then I expect a decent churn again next season. We don't have time for 'potential' this season. We have impatient new owners who can't afford to gamble like that for now.
The most important thing about our signings on 09:20 - Jul 15 with 2014 viewsPhilTWTD

I suppose they must have been concerned about their FFP situation after a year without fans. That may well be right, no surprise money is short after the last year. We are clearly shopping in a different market to the likes of Wigan and Sunderland for the most part as well, can't see either of them making a move for a player of Celina's profile.
The most important thing about our signings on 09:22 - Jul 15 with 1992 viewsSteve_M

"We've really lucked into a summer of having money, when the market is depressed, and most other clubs finances are screwed - we can't miss this opportunity"

That's what Wigan did in the early 2000s, ITV Digital had a massive impact on spending for most clubs but they spent a decent amount fairly well and went up two divisions in three seasons.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

The most important thing about our signings on 09:23 - Jul 15 with 1987 viewsPhilTWTD

The most important thing about our signings on 09:19 - Jul 15 by ElderGrizzly

Yes, we can't afford to screw up the advantage this summer, similarly to when Evans first got us and he mis-spent due to incompetent management/ownership.

A relatively small outlay this season, spent well, should be enough to get us up.

And then I expect a decent churn again next season. We don't have time for 'potential' this season. We have impatient new owners who can't afford to gamble like that for now.

There are similarities aren't there? We made big signings for the division we were in under Keane. Lee Martin then, Scott Fraser now. In terms of exits, Jordan Rhodes then, Liam Gibbs now. The manager - and management above him - seem to be a different level now, however. Hopefully the players will similarly perform to a greater level.
Login to get fewer ads

The most important thing about our signings on 10:05 - Jul 15 with 1859 viewshadleighboyblue

We seem to be finding and signing the sort of players the previous set up would'nt have managed to do .

The sourcing of these players is a credit to the club , I agree with you about Harper , but all the others are at a good age ,solid performers and likely to see us progress to the Championship and be strong enough to stay there .

The club feels like a much more professional outfit which bodes well for the future . I can't see us being a soft touch any more
The most important thing about our signings on 10:09 - Jul 15 with 1831 viewschrismakin

The most important thing about our signings on 09:23 - Jul 15 by PhilTWTD

There are similarities aren't there? We made big signings for the division we were in under Keane. Lee Martin then, Scott Fraser now. In terms of exits, Jordan Rhodes then, Liam Gibbs now. The manager - and management above him - seem to be a different level now, however. Hopefully the players will similarly perform to a greater level.

You cant however compare Lee Martin to Scott Fraser.

Martin was an expensive kid purchase from Keanes utd contacts. Useless signing.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

The most important thing about our signings on 10:21 - Jul 15 with 1776 viewsPhilTWTD

The most important thing about our signings on 10:09 - Jul 15 by chrismakin

You cant however compare Lee Martin to Scott Fraser.

Martin was an expensive kid purchase from Keanes utd contacts. Useless signing.

Just comparing the size of deal. Martin was a big signing at the time because of his background and cost a couple of million if I remember rightly.
The most important thing about our signings on 10:22 - Jul 15 with 1766 viewschrismakin

The most important thing about our signings on 10:21 - Jul 15 by PhilTWTD

Just comparing the size of deal. Martin was a big signing at the time because of his background and cost a couple of million if I remember rightly.

Oh. Yes agree

2.5 painful millions.... how just how lol

Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?

The most important thing about our signings on 10:25 - Jul 15 with 1748 viewsPhilTWTD

The most important thing about our signings on 10:22 - Jul 15 by chrismakin

Oh. Yes agree

2.5 painful millions.... how just how lol

As Elder says, there are some similarities on the position we're in in being the monied club. Hopefully we won't waste that this time around. Certainly the manager is one you'd have more faith and trust in.
The most important thing about our signings on 10:31 - Jul 15 with 1721 viewschrismakin

The most important thing about our signings on 10:25 - Jul 15 by PhilTWTD

As Elder says, there are some similarities on the position we're in in being the monied club. Hopefully we won't waste that this time around. Certainly the manager is one you'd have more faith and trust in.

This is is being financially savvy..

Imagine when the purse strings actually get used.....

The most important thing about our signings on 10:34 - Jul 15 with 1713 viewshype313

The most important thing about our signings on 10:25 - Jul 15 by PhilTWTD

Indeed, Simon Jordan on TS was saying Derby should go for someone like Paul Cook as Rooney is totally unsuitable for them right now.

He did caveat it by saying he is on a great project here and wouldn't touch them now, but shows we do have someone highly regarded in the game.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

The most important thing about our signings on 10:36 - Jul 15 with 1699 viewsPhilTWTD

The most important thing about our signings on 10:34 - Jul 15 by hype313

Indeed, Simon Jordan on TS was saying Derby should go for someone like Paul Cook as Rooney is totally unsuitable for them right now.

He did caveat it by saying he is on a great project here and wouldn't touch them now, but shows we do have someone highly regarded in the game.

Exactly, someone of Cook's profile now was who should have been appointed when Keane was brought in. Needed a steadier more experienced hand at the tiller.
The most important thing about our signings on 10:39 - Jul 15 with 1676 viewshype313

The most important thing about our signings on 10:36 - Jul 15 by PhilTWTD

Exactly, someone of Cook's profile now was who should have been appointed when Keane was brought in. Needed a steadier more experienced hand at the tiller.

Holloway at that time would have been the perfect appointment, Unfortunately Evans went down the showbiz route.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

The most important thing about our signings on 11:38 - Jul 15 with 1571 viewsChurchman

The thing that strikes me is that for the first time in ages the players coming in are an improvement on those going out in ability and attitude. In terms of age and value, if they have a good season, demand for them will increase but the length of contracts tells me the expectation on them is beyond getting out of this dreadful league.

The one that vexes me is Downes. If he was to settle down, show what he is capable of in a settled more successful team - and wanted to be here, I think he would get a far better move in a years time than he is likely to now.

As for the Academy, I thought until Dyer’s interview it was doing ok. KD was right. No player has made anything much since Wickham. The Academy has been trashed along with the rest of the club by Evans and decisions will need to be made on what to do with it. The interviews with the Americans and people running the club now suggest they will invest in it rather than scrap it. I hope they do, but I suspect a lot depends on when we scramble out of the L1 pit.
The most important thing about our signings on 12:13 - Jul 15 with 1516 viewsElderGrizzly

The most important thing about our signings on 11:38 - Jul 15 by Churchman

The thing that strikes me is that for the first time in ages the players coming in are an improvement on those going out in ability and attitude. In terms of age and value, if they have a good season, demand for them will increase but the length of contracts tells me the expectation on them is beyond getting out of this dreadful league.

The one that vexes me is Downes. If he was to settle down, show what he is capable of in a settled more successful team - and wanted to be here, I think he would get a far better move in a years time than he is likely to now.

As for the Academy, I thought until Dyer’s interview it was doing ok. KD was right. No player has made anything much since Wickham. The Academy has been trashed along with the rest of the club by Evans and decisions will need to be made on what to do with it. The interviews with the Americans and people running the club now suggest they will invest in it rather than scrap it. I hope they do, but I suspect a lot depends on when we scramble out of the L1 pit.

We were spending over £2m on the academy under Evans, which is a huge amount as a L1 club. By itself it is more than entire wage bills at some L1 clubs.

Are the new owners prepared to put more than that in?
The most important thing about our signings on 13:10 - Jul 15 with 1464 viewswkj

They are in some cases standout players who were the top of their team, if they come here ands perform - we get promoted, how can their resale value do anything but go up? Not to mention some of the fees paid are fairly nominal.

Crybaby

The most important thing about our signings on 13:19 - Jul 15 with 1431 viewsVic

If you’re right about the position we are in then it makes a lovely change to the on the right side of things for a while. For so long it seems we’ve just been behind the wave - eg, when we got relegated the same season the ITV money was switched off way back when. That’s was a key component in ruining us financially - we’re only now recovering.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

The most important thing about our signings on 13:20 - Jul 15 with 1430 viewsitfcjoe

The most important thing about our signings on 13:10 - Jul 15 by wkj

They are in some cases standout players who were the top of their team, if they come here ands perform - we get promoted, how can their resale value do anything but go up? Not to mention some of the fees paid are fairly nominal.

Without going through them one by one - look at someone like Lee Evans, even after his loan spell with Wigan he went to Sheff U for £750k, before dropping back down.

In order to get good resale value you are talking players going for £5m or so - and teams aren't going to pay that for players in their mid to late twenites, these are fees for younger players.

Someone like Harper could be worth £10m in 18 months time - whereas Evans, Pigott, Burns, Hladky or Fraser may be worth £1-2m absolute tops barring a miracle.

If you want to sign someone for a resale value, if they are over 23 then it's very unlikely - it happened here with Waghorn but that is very much the exception rather than the rule

The most important thing about our signings on 15:29 - Jul 15 with 1334 viewswkj

The most important thing about our signings on 13:20 - Jul 15 by itfcjoe

Without going through them one by one - look at someone like Lee Evans, even after his loan spell with Wigan he went to Sheff U for £750k, before dropping back down.

In order to get good resale value you are talking players going for £5m or so - and teams aren't going to pay that for players in their mid to late twenites, these are fees for younger players.

Someone like Harper could be worth £10m in 18 months time - whereas Evans, Pigott, Burns, Hladky or Fraser may be worth £1-2m absolute tops barring a miracle.

If you want to sign someone for a resale value, if they are over 23 then it's very unlikely - it happened here with Waghorn but that is very much the exception rather than the rule

I am not expecting massive gains, but more encouraged that we wont be with our back against the walls with players we consistently let go for nothing. Even if we break even, it is a massive step up from the mismanagement of talent we're used to.

If we are successful, I don't see many of those players depreciating in value over the next 2 seasons.

Crybaby

The most important thing about our signings on 20:01 - Jul 15 with 1240 viewsBryanPlug

The most important thing about our signings on 12:13 - Jul 15 by ElderGrizzly

We were spending over £2m on the academy under Evans, which is a huge amount as a L1 club. By itself it is more than entire wage bills at some L1 clubs.

Are the new owners prepared to put more than that in?

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

The most important thing about our signings on 21:04 - Jul 15 with 1186 viewschrismakin

The most important thing about our signings on 20:01 - Jul 15 by BryanPlug

[content removed at owner's request]

Is the Ipswich Womens team part of the overall club or separate affiliation?

Just wandered as when you review all the original interviews of the owner group they are very keen to sort all areas of the club out and cover all angles.. so we know academy will be one... is the ladies another they are concentrating on.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024