Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Older supporters please help 18:02 - Jul 20 with 1441 viewschrismakin

Seeing a few discussions in regards to stand names etc.

Can I ask, besides Sir Bobby and Sir Alf, did any other ipswich manager succeed more than Burley?

For the slightly younger generation he was a hero imo, footballer come manager. 4 x play offs, play off winners. Top 5 in prem.. Europe!! Etc. Would it be to much to have a George Burley Stand?

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Older supporters please help on 18:04 - Jul 20 with 1397 viewsJ2BLUE

I think a stand is a bit much for Burley. Especially as we'll need one for Cook after he wins three league titles in a row.

Burley needs something but a stand isn't it.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Older supporters please help on 18:05 - Jul 20 with 1386 viewsWD19

Might be OK for afternoon games.
Older supporters please help on 18:05 - Jul 20 with 1386 viewsIllinoisblue

Unless George is going to pay for it, no. We need actual sponsors giving us cold hard cash.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Older supporters please help on 18:09 - Jul 20 with 1350 viewschrismakin

Older supporters please help on 18:05 - Jul 20 by Illinoisblue

Unless George is going to pay for it, no. We need actual sponsors giving us cold hard cash.

Good point

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Older supporters please help on 18:13 - Jul 20 with 1334 viewsFunge

Chico mentioned earlier that John Lyall's 91/92 promoted team achieved great things in going up - which is fair comment, particularly when considering:-

- where we finished the season before
- the amount of money (or relative lack thereof) spent on the team
- the competition faced from a Blackburn team, most noticeably, who were beginning to spend Jack Walker's millions.

Obviously Lyall moved upstairs, Mick McGiven proceeded to play some truly attritional football, and the less said about 94/95, the better - but 91/92, we looked ace.

EDIT - fck it, name it the John Lyall stand.
[Post edited 20 Jul 2021 18:14]
Older supporters please help on 18:16 - Jul 20 with 1306 viewsMerseyBlue

Older supporters please help on 18:04 - Jul 20 by J2BLUE

I think a stand is a bit much for Burley. Especially as we'll need one for Cook after he wins three league titles in a row.

Burley's Beer and Burger Bar and Bistro
[Post edited 20 Jul 2021 18:16]

"Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."
Poll: Who will be the winner?

Older supporters please help on 18:19 - Jul 20 with 1275 viewspositivity

Older supporters please help on 18:13 - Jul 20 by Funge

Chico mentioned earlier that John Lyall's 91/92 promoted team achieved great things in going up - which is fair comment, particularly when considering:-

- where we finished the season before
- the amount of money (or relative lack thereof) spent on the team
- the competition faced from a Blackburn team, most noticeably, who were beginning to spend Jack Walker's millions.

Obviously Lyall moved upstairs, Mick McGiven proceeded to play some truly attritional football, and the less said about 94/95, the better - but 91/92, we looked ace.

EDIT - fck it, name it the John Lyall stand.
[Post edited 20 Jul 2021 18:14]

if you split the lyall/mcgiven eras, then lyall showed the greater improvement.

burley had the higher highs, but arguably left us in much the same place as he joined, but on the brink of administration.

bobby & alf are leagues ahead of both of them for me

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

Older supporters please help on 18:25 - Jul 20 with 1240 viewsSibelius8

Scott Duncan deserves serious consideration.
Login to get fewer ads

Older supporters please help on 18:36 - Jul 20 with 1214 viewsFunge

Older supporters please help on 18:19 - Jul 20 by positivity

if you split the lyall/mcgiven eras, then lyall showed the greater improvement.

burley had the higher highs, but arguably left us in much the same place as he joined, but on the brink of administration.

bobby & alf are leagues ahead of both of them for me

Sir Alf and Sir Bobby clearly better than both, and, indeed, every other English manager ever, apart from perhaps Brian Clough.

Agree with the rest of your post, with the caveat that admin was driven by Sheepshanks.

My younger self used to have BIG arguments with a young SomethingBlue about Sheepy.

TWTD.
Older supporters please help on 19:02 - Jul 20 with 1135 viewsPinewoodblue

Older supporters please help on 18:05 - Jul 20 by Illinoisblue

Sponsorship money would be greater if they could find someway to move TV cameras to Cobbold Stand.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Older supporters please help on 20:16 - Jul 20 with 1035 viewsbluebudgie

Bill Mcgarry for me. He is often overlooked but it has to be remembered he took on a Town team that was really in the doldrums despite being crowned English champions three years earlier. We had been relegated from Division One with an ageing team who had lost all confidence under Jackie Milburn. that was near to the relegation places when Mcgarry took over but with some astute signings(bringing Ray Crawford back was a masterstroke) and tough management skills, he got the Town promoted within 4 years. If it wasn't for Bill Mcgarry I think we would have been relegated that season to the third division and would have missed out on the halcyon days of Bobby Robson.
Older supporters please help on 20:33 - Jul 20 with 1000 viewsKropotkin123

Unless managers are winning top flight trophies, then I don't think they should be added to stadium names.

I feel like Burley was the victim of his own success. We had too small a squad to play in Europe alongside the Premiership. So it is hard for me to split Lyall and Burley simply on the higher highs argument.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Older supporters please help on 21:42 - Jul 20 with 913 viewsIllinoisblue

Older supporters please help on 19:02 - Jul 20 by Pinewoodblue

Sponsorship money would be greater if they could find someway to move TV cameras to Cobbold Stand.

Would it? Majority of time camera is at pitch level rather than top of stand where signage or names spelt out in seats would be

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Older supporters please help on 22:10 - Jul 20 with 877 viewsColin_Viljoen

How about "The boys of 81" stand.
we could name the blocks after the players.
Mick Mills block, row A, seat 1 etc
Older supporters please help on 23:16 - Jul 20 with 822 viewsArnoldMoorhen

Older supporters please help on 18:04 - Jul 20 by J2BLUE

I said in a different post today that I'm surprised that no-one has suggested a statue for Paul Mariner. At Busch Stadium, home of the St Louis Cardinals baseball team, they have a walk of champions. It would be great if one day the statues of Sir Alf, Sir Bobby and Kevin Beattie could be joined by some others from their great teams.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/chiski/8635270288
Older supporters please help on 23:54 - Jul 20 with 787 viewsChurchman

Older supporters please help on 18:25 - Jul 20 by Sibelius8

Scott Duncan deserves serious consideration.

Well said,

Without Adam Scott Mathieson Duncan, it’s doubtful whether the club would have made it into the league before WW2. He’s a massive figure in ITFC history, for me 3rd behind Ramsey and Robson. George is next, then Lyall and McGarry.
Older supporters please help on 00:12 - Jul 21 with 773 viewsRocky

Let's not forget an English legend, Jackie Milburn, who as manager signed the likes of Danny Hegan and Frank Brogan and who was responsible for setting up our successful youth system which formed the basis of our most successful years under SBR.
Older supporters please help on 07:18 - Jul 21 with 673 viewsLeaky

Older supporters please help on 18:09 - Jul 20 by chrismakin

Good point

Ed Sheeran Stand
Older supporters please help on 07:46 - Jul 21 with 637 viewsBluefields

Older supporters please help on 18:36 - Jul 20 by Funge

Sir Alf and Sir Bobby clearly better than both, and, indeed, every other English manager ever, apart from perhaps Brian Clough.

Agree with the rest of your post, with the caveat that admin was driven by Sheepshanks.

My younger self used to have BIG arguments with a young SomethingBlue about Sheepy.

TWTD.

Bob Paisley is clear of any English manager by a long way.
Older supporters please help on 08:00 - Jul 21 with 621 viewswkj

Burley did an exceptional job with the town- nobody can ever say his promotion and Premier League runs were lucky, as we played some great football along the way.

However, the other side is that Burley and Sheepshanks both made a lot of mistakes. We were thinking way into the future with the stands being added, as well as our stature in the game. Not a lot felt like we were solidifying at the time, rather trying to run forward. Now Bruley didn't build the stands, however, his recruitment and adaptability made it so we were unable to remain competitive as teams had sussed us out from the season before.

So whilst they both created some great history, they never really cemented a legacy - and for my money, THAT is what makes a manager/player/owner a 'gimme' for a statue, stand or ground named after them.
[Post edited 21 Jul 2021 8:02]

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024