Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Think you're having a bad day? 08:33 - Sep 3 with 2296 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

At least you're not one of our chickens, 2 out of 3 appear to have been combine harvested while we were working yesterday!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Think you're having a bad day? on 08:47 - Sep 3 with 1813 viewsReuser_is_God

At least Nandos will now be fully stocked.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Think you're having a bad day? on 08:50 - Sep 3 with 1806 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Think you're having a bad day? on 08:47 - Sep 3 by Reuser_is_God

At least Nandos will now be fully stocked.

R.I.P. Priti and Maggie.

Think you're having a bad day? on 09:11 - Sep 3 with 1762 viewsElephantintheRoom

I'm having a similar problem - four out of eleven have been ritually disembowelled in recent weeks, all in broad daylight at weekly intervals, usually on a wednesday afternoon.

Not sure of your location - but the culprit we have is almost certainly a pine martin, stoat or stone marten. I spent a small fortune making the chicken area fox, deer and wild boar proof - but hadn't reckoned on something climbing over the fence to get them.

The only real solution is an electric fence - though so far i have taken the khe sanh approach and mowed an open barrier around the wire surrounding my chicken patch which I patrol every hour with the hounds.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Think you're having a bad day? on 09:19 - Sep 3 with 1719 viewsFixed_It

Just check that your local Chinese haven't started offering Chicken Bales on their menu...

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Think you're having a bad day? on 09:24 - Sep 3 with 1701 viewsgiant_stow

getting combined harvested would ruin anyone's day, its true.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Think you're having a bad day? on 09:33 - Sep 3 with 1666 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Think you're having a bad day? on 09:24 - Sep 3 by giant_stow

getting combined harvested would ruin anyone's day, its true.

It's knowing they are still out there, spat out in little bits among the trails of barley straw, that really hurts.

Think you're having a bad day? on 09:37 - Sep 3 with 1647 viewsgiant_stow

Think you're having a bad day? on 09:33 - Sep 3 by BanksterDebtSlave

It's knowing they are still out there, spat out in little bits among the trails of barley straw, that really hurts.

RIP chickens. I hope it was at least quick.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Think you're having a bad day? on 09:42 - Sep 3 with 1632 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Think you're having a bad day? on 09:37 - Sep 3 by giant_stow

RIP chickens. I hope it was at least quick.

Poor lonely Theresa left all alone and she probably saw it all.

Login to get fewer ads

Think you're having a bad day? on 09:47 - Sep 3 with 1622 viewsWD19

I have 2 baby foxes currently chilling out at the end of my garden.

Does your sole remaining chicken want some new friends to hang out with?
Think you're having a bad day? on 09:48 - Sep 3 with 1614 viewsWD19

Think you're having a bad day? on 09:42 - Sep 3 by BanksterDebtSlave

Poor lonely Theresa left all alone and she probably saw it all.

Those early years of learning to run through the fields of wheat paying dividends.......
Think you're having a bad day? on 09:56 - Sep 3 with 1586 viewsleitrimblue

Think you're having a bad day? on 09:11 - Sep 3 by ElephantintheRoom

I'm having a similar problem - four out of eleven have been ritually disembowelled in recent weeks, all in broad daylight at weekly intervals, usually on a wednesday afternoon.

Not sure of your location - but the culprit we have is almost certainly a pine martin, stoat or stone marten. I spent a small fortune making the chicken area fox, deer and wild boar proof - but hadn't reckoned on something climbing over the fence to get them.

The only real solution is an electric fence - though so far i have taken the khe sanh approach and mowed an open barrier around the wire surrounding my chicken patch which I patrol every hour with the hounds.

I find it almost impossible to keep out Pine martins. They can climb everywhere and a strong enough to break through most wooden defences. Had one semi living in a out building last year. Think the dog was at war with it, but not obvious who would end up victorious
Think you're having a bad day? on 10:06 - Sep 3 with 1559 viewsElephantintheRoom

Think you're having a bad day? on 09:56 - Sep 3 by leitrimblue

I find it almost impossible to keep out Pine martins. They can climb everywhere and a strong enough to break through most wooden defences. Had one semi living in a out building last year. Think the dog was at war with it, but not obvious who would end up victorious

We have them living in the roof space. Only ever seen them eating bird food and I was quite pleased to have them as lodgers until the chicken killing started. Mind you, they could be innocent as there is a large area of woodland surrounding our property.... and all manner of beasts live in there

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Think you're having a bad day? on 10:36 - Sep 3 with 1510 viewsleitrimblue

Think you're having a bad day? on 10:06 - Sep 3 by ElephantintheRoom

We have them living in the roof space. Only ever seen them eating bird food and I was quite pleased to have them as lodgers until the chicken killing started. Mind you, they could be innocent as there is a large area of woodland surrounding our property.... and all manner of beasts live in there

Sounds like a similar situation, we also have forestry behind house. They seem desperate to get in roof space but not happened for last year or so. I'm happy for them to be around house as believe they do a great job keeping down rodent population. Me and the dog accidentally cornered one in a out building a couple of years ago and I watched jump an clamber over a 8 foot wall from a standing start, very impressive. None of my neighbors have managed to construct or buy a Pine Martin proof chicken coup yet....
Think you're having a bad day? on 11:03 - Sep 3 with 1433 viewsArnoldMoorhen

Think you're having a bad day? on 10:36 - Sep 3 by leitrimblue

Sounds like a similar situation, we also have forestry behind house. They seem desperate to get in roof space but not happened for last year or so. I'm happy for them to be around house as believe they do a great job keeping down rodent population. Me and the dog accidentally cornered one in a out building a couple of years ago and I watched jump an clamber over a 8 foot wall from a standing start, very impressive. None of my neighbors have managed to construct or buy a Pine Martin proof chicken coup yet....

Would keeping some geese in there with the chickens even the odds a bit? At the very least they would sound a very loud alarm, but I don't think the pine marten would hang around if a goose got angry.

Plus: goose eggs.

Plus: goose for Christmas.

I'm a solutions guy.
Think you're having a bad day? on 11:05 - Sep 3 with 1409 viewshomer_123

Think you're having a bad day? on 11:03 - Sep 3 by ArnoldMoorhen

Would keeping some geese in there with the chickens even the odds a bit? At the very least they would sound a very loud alarm, but I don't think the pine marten would hang around if a goose got angry.

I'm a solutions guy.

Moorhens?

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Think you're having a bad day? on 11:09 - Sep 3 with 1403 viewsleitrimblue

Think you're having a bad day? on 11:03 - Sep 3 by ArnoldMoorhen

I'm a solutions guy.

Great idea Arnie, that may just work. Actually, I wish I had read it before I ordered the 2 mountain lions.. Think not having chickens is my lazy solution. Though may look into just getting some geese instead now
Think you're having a bad day? on 15:37 - Sep 3 with 1229 viewsArnoldMoorhen

Think you're having a bad day? on 11:05 - Sep 3 by homer_123

Moorhens?

We're waders, mate. We'd hate all that gritty stuff in the coop getting between our webbed toes.

But I'd like to see a Pine Marten try and get to our nests in the reeds. Little sht tries it on with my eggs, he's going down. Pine Mar Ten fathoms down, more like.
Think you're having a bad day? on 15:40 - Sep 3 with 1222 viewsArnoldMoorhen

Think you're having a bad day? on 11:09 - Sep 3 by leitrimblue

Great idea Arnie, that may just work. Actually, I wish I had read it before I ordered the 2 mountain lions.. Think not having chickens is my lazy solution. Though may look into just getting some geese instead now

Mrs leitrimblue: Why does your Internet search history have so many searches for Cougars?

leitrimblue: I was looking for some Mountain Lions to scare off the bloody Pine Martens.
Think you're having a bad day? on 15:44 - Sep 3 with 1218 viewsEireannach_gorm

Think you're having a bad day? on 09:11 - Sep 3 by ElephantintheRoom

Think you're having a bad day? on 16:21 - Sep 3 with 1168 viewsGeoffSentence

Who had the audacity to combine your garden?

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Think you're having a bad day? on 16:25 - Sep 3 with 1163 viewsSwansea_Blue

When we were house (and chicken) sitting in the States, the chucks used to free roam. They'd return to the coop each night, so were pretty easy to look after. When the first winter storm came in we had to round them up pretty quickly and get them locked away before the snow got too deep, but obviously in retrospect we'd missed one. We found what was left of it the next morning, a pile of feathers, lots of blood and a few bits of something, right outside the hen house. It had obviously been sitting there, looking at its friends and waiting to get back in when something had taken it. Poor thing.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Think you're having a bad day? on 18:30 - Sep 3 with 1072 viewssolomon

Clarksons farm is nothing compared to this.
Think you're having a bad day? on 18:41 - Sep 3 with 1049 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Think you're having a bad day? on 16:21 - Sep 3 by GeoffSentence

Who had the audacity to combine your garden?

When you phrase it like that, it makes you think it was a bit of an extreme way for the farmer to retaliate against the grain thieves.

I am a little curious as to why Bankster is so confident the combine got them when they roam so free and there are no visible remains. Is there no chance a more natural predator did for them or that the combine has caused them to scarper?

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Think you're having a bad day? on 18:48 - Sep 3 with 1041 viewsBluesky

Ooh that's clucking bad luck!
Think you're having a bad day? on 18:49 - Sep 3 with 1040 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Think you're having a bad day? on 18:41 - Sep 3 by Nthsuffolkblue

When you phrase it like that, it makes you think it was a bit of an extreme way for the farmer to retaliate against the grain thieves.

I am a little curious as to why Bankster is so confident the combine got them when they roam so free and there are no visible remains. Is there no chance a more natural predator did for them or that the combine has caused them to scarper?

I think there instinct would be to leg it back through the fence into the coop. I think I have spied where the dastardly deed occurred as the stubble is slightly higher in one small section where the traumatised farmer has raised the blades when he saw what was occurring at the far reaches of his combine.
There is of course the possibility that a passing motorist has borrowed them.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024