Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Dairy-free. 13:44 - Mar 23 with 1022 viewsNthQldITFC

I finally made the switch to dairy free 'milk' in the form of Sainsburys own 'oat drink' which I am amazed by. I already prefer it to milk on cereal and in coffee and tea. The amount I bang on about environmental issues, I should have done this years ago (shame on me), but it's partly a possible health reason that actually triggered me into doing it.

Question: Does anyone have any recommendations for a dairy-free 'butter' substitute? I've tried Bertolli (which actually has some milk in anyway, by the look of things), but I find it has a really nasty aftertaste.

What about 'cheeses'?

Cheese... sorry, cheers.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Dairy-free. on 13:55 - Mar 23 with 972 viewsRyorry

These are the only ones I eat & enjoy now, having tried dozens of others over many years -

(widely available from most supermarkets)

https://thevegankind.com/p/vbites-white-cheddar-style-cheezly-190g (also widely available, but TVK are v. good for many other things too).

Poll: Time of the annunciation

Dairy-free. on 13:59 - Mar 23 with 948 viewsJ2BLUE

Flora original.

Agree about oat milk on cereal. It's amazing.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Dairy-free. on 14:01 - Mar 23 with 944 viewsJammyDodgerrr

Dairy-free. on 13:55 - Mar 23 by Ryorry

These are the only ones I eat & enjoy now, having tried dozens of others over many years -

(widely available from most supermarkets)

https://thevegankind.com/p/vbites-white-cheddar-style-cheezly-190g (also widely available, but TVK are v. good for many other things too).

Second for this stuff. It's exceptional and been having it for years.

Poll: How many Loanees would you like in the team next season?
Blog: [Blog] What Happened to Our Star Number Nine?

Dairy-free. on 14:10 - Mar 23 with 911 viewsFtnfwest

'dairy free milk'? what, water?
Dairy-free. on 14:14 - Mar 23 with 898 viewsmutters

If you are a fan of latte / milky coffees highly recommend Alpro Barista Oat. Lovely stuff and for a dedicated milk fan, it takes a lot for me to enjoy alternatives.

Poll: At what price would you sell our 32 year old Leading Scorer Murphy this summer?

Dairy-free. on 14:16 - Mar 23 with 887 viewsBeckets

Dairy-free. on 14:01 - Mar 23 by JammyDodgerrr

Second for this stuff. It's exceptional and been having it for years.

Another vote for this.
Dairy-free. on 14:23 - Mar 23 with 867 viewsclive_baker

Oak Milk is lovely. If anyone is in the market I would also recomment the CO-OP GRO range, quite a bit cheaper than some of the branded alternatives and has a really good taste.

Re. cheese, this is a topic that's come up on here before and I really struggle with dairy free cheeses. Was involved in them for work for a period so literally spent my days trying SO many with a view to some acquisitions and there's some horrible ones out there. I think when somebody nails a really good Cheddar without any compromise, they'll kill it.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Dairy-free. on 14:39 - Mar 23 with 831 viewsRyorry

Dairy-free. on 14:23 - Mar 23 by clive_baker

Oak Milk is lovely. If anyone is in the market I would also recomment the CO-OP GRO range, quite a bit cheaper than some of the branded alternatives and has a really good taste.

Re. cheese, this is a topic that's come up on here before and I really struggle with dairy free cheeses. Was involved in them for work for a period so literally spent my days trying SO many with a view to some acquisitions and there's some horrible ones out there. I think when somebody nails a really good Cheddar without any compromise, they'll kill it.

Did you try the white cheddar-style Cheezly? (the original with soya & potato, not their new soy-free one, haven't tried that as allergic to coconut).

If someone blind-tested me on the original v. good quality real cheddar, not sure I'd be able to taste the difference.
[Post edited 23 Mar 2022 14:40]

Poll: Time of the annunciation

Login to get fewer ads

Dairy-free. on 16:14 - Mar 23 with 736 viewsHARRY10

ta, for that

given how milk is produced (avoids gory details) I have thought about reducing usage, but shall try dome oat stiff tonight as I'm off to Sainsburys

here's hoping
Dairy-free. on 16:21 - Mar 23 with 724 viewsJ2BLUE

Dairy-free. on 16:14 - Mar 23 by HARRY10

ta, for that

given how milk is produced (avoids gory details) I have thought about reducing usage, but shall try dome oat stiff tonight as I'm off to Sainsburys

here's hoping

You might want to try Alpro unsweetened. Some ethical issues raised about them last time I mentioned them but their unsweetened oat milk is great and I found it was the sweetness which was putting me off using it in drinks before discovering that.

Truly impaired.

Dairy-free. on 16:22 - Mar 23 with 722 viewsGeoffSentence

You should try that 'oat drink' with porridge. It will blow your mind.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Dairy-free. on 16:24 - Mar 23 with 704 viewsJ2BLUE

Dairy-free. on 16:22 - Mar 23 by GeoffSentence

You should try that 'oat drink' with porridge. It will blow your mind.

Oat milk on Cheerios is great.

Truly impaired.

Dairy-free. on 16:28 - Mar 23 with 693 viewspositivity

yes, once you swap to non-dairy milk, whenever you go back to milk extracted from cows it tastes really greasy & claggy, weird how tastes change

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

Dairy-free. on 16:54 - Mar 23 with 668 viewsclive_baker

Dairy-free. on 14:39 - Mar 23 by Ryorry

Did you try the white cheddar-style Cheezly? (the original with soya & potato, not their new soy-free one, haven't tried that as allergic to coconut).

If someone blind-tested me on the original v. good quality real cheddar, not sure I'd be able to taste the difference.
[Post edited 23 Mar 2022 14:40]

I can't say it rang any bells so I just googled it, I do recognise the packaging but not sure if I'm confusing it with Sheeze, who are based up on the Isle of Bute. They got snapped up for a lot of money by an American company IIRC.

I've just ordered some, I needed a few other bits anyway. Looking forward to trying, thanks for the tip.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Dairy-free. on 17:08 - Mar 23 with 651 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Cheese days are over!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If he goes will he still be Super?

Dairy-free. on 17:10 - Mar 23 with 643 viewsNthQldITFC

Thanks all. I am investing in one pack each Pure and Flora!

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Dairy-free. on 17:39 - Mar 23 with 602 viewseireblue

Dairy-free. on 17:10 - Mar 23 by NthQldITFC

Thanks all. I am investing in one pack each Pure and Flora!

Hmmm Dairy free cheese you say. Have you tried,

Violife
Sheese
GreenVie
I Am Nut Ok
Mouse’s Favourite
Vegusto
Tyne Chease
Applewood
….

https://www.greenbaysupermarket.co.uk/collections/dairy-free-cheese-alternatives
Dairy-free. on 18:26 - Mar 23 with 550 viewsmonytowbray

Mature cheese - Violife Mature or Koko.
Spread - Sainsburys Garlic and Herb.
Blue - I think it was Sainsburys who did the best or maybe Tesco.
Applewood Smoked and Mexicana Chilli ones are good.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024