Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Not scoring from corners 09:33 - Mar 28 with 1767 viewsroysboys

I am loving the KMcK revival at Portman Road and the style of football we are playing but we do seem to lack a goal threat from corners. I wonder what the problem is? Are our centre backs too 'nice'? Is the delivery inconsistent? Discuss!

Blog: Pig Tales - An Old Story Brought Bang Up to Date

Not scoring from corners on 09:39 - Mar 28 with 1737 viewsRadlett_blue

Statistically, only about 4% of corners result in a goal from the ensuing play and far fewer from a direct header from a corner. Crowds always get excited because the ball is going into the danger area, but a goal is very unlikely. Knowing that made Oxford's recent equaliser even more galling. So no, we shouldn't be devoting huge amounts of training time trying to improve something which probably isn't below average and which also is unlikely to bear much fruit.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Not scoring from corners on 09:43 - Mar 28 with 1707 viewsSitfcB

Not scoring from corners on 09:39 - Mar 28 by Radlett_blue

Statistically, only about 4% of corners result in a goal from the ensuing play and far fewer from a direct header from a corner. Crowds always get excited because the ball is going into the danger area, but a goal is very unlikely. Knowing that made Oxford's recent equaliser even more galling. So no, we shouldn't be devoting huge amounts of training time trying to improve something which probably isn't below average and which also is unlikely to bear much fruit.

With the amount of corners we’ve had since we last scored from a corner (Shrewsbury H, 9/10/21) we should’ve scored a few goals from them!

It is something that should be worked on. Wouldn’t be surprised if we get a set piece coach in in the summer.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Not scoring from corners on 10:07 - Mar 28 with 1614 viewsGarv

Also goals from outside the box.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Not scoring from corners on 10:08 - Mar 28 with 1610 viewsSamWhiteUK

We don't have enough physical presence to score from corners
Not scoring from corners on 10:34 - Mar 28 with 1561 viewsbobbyramsey

Any headed goal would be nice, don't seem to remember too many this season.....
Not scoring from corners on 10:37 - Mar 28 with 1554 viewsPhilTWTD

Not scoring from corners on 10:34 - Mar 28 by bobbyramsey

Bonne at Lincoln but no others readily come to mind.
Not scoring from corners on 10:39 - Mar 28 with 1538 viewsDubtractor

Not scoring from corners on 10:34 - Mar 28 by bobbyramsey

Smart tactics to avoid playing for headed goals, future proofing our tactics for when heading the ball gets banned.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Not scoring from corners on 10:40 - Mar 28 with 1539 viewsclive_baker

Something McKenna touched on in his post match presser, so it's certainly been noted.

I think with 2 of Edmundson, Burgess, Woolfy on the field and probably 1 of Norwood / Bonne / Piggot we do have a bit of a threat. The delivery hasn't been great at times, but it's true that we very rarely threaten from corners. Which is a shame as we're likely to keep winning them with the amount of wide threat we have.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Login to get fewer ads

Not scoring from corners on 10:46 - Mar 28 with 1504 viewstractorboy1978

Not scoring from corners on 10:40 - Mar 28 by clive_baker

Something McKenna touched on in his post match presser, so it's certainly been noted.

I think with 2 of Edmundson, Burgess, Woolfy on the field and probably 1 of Norwood / Bonne / Piggot we do have a bit of a threat. The delivery hasn't been great at times, but it's true that we very rarely threaten from corners. Which is a shame as we're likely to keep winning them with the amount of wide threat we have.

I don't think the delivery is too bad generally, we just don't seem to attack the ball very well. Berra, Chambers and Smith were real masters of that, despite not being towering centre backs. Murphy too. I don't remember Anderson/Tabb's delivery being particularly special.
[Post edited 28 Mar 2022 10:50]
Not scoring from corners on 10:47 - Mar 28 with 1495 viewsfranz_tyson

Why disregard set-pieces? Especially as we're going to have to find other ways to score more goals.
We can't expect to score all our goals from crosses from the right where a midfielder arrives just at the right time, right place.
There's teams whose main strategy is making the most out of set-pieces. Why can't we learn from them? We too good for that? Chambers used to get his fair-share, Smith, too. We don't have to compromise our playing style in the slightest.Just give ourselves that extra chance of scoring. It's not as if we're banging in goals left, right and centre .
Not scoring from corners on 10:58 - Mar 28 with 1453 viewsSitfcB

Not scoring from corners on 10:37 - Mar 28 by PhilTWTD

Bonne against Shrewsbury.

COYB

Not scoring from corners on 10:58 - Mar 28 with 1456 viewsrickw

Statistically we have 8 goals from set pieces this season - which places us 21st in the table for that (Rotherham top with 19) , we've only conceded 9 from set pieces too, (5th best record - again Rotherham top with just 4).

It does make a big difference and I'm sure McKenna knows that and is working on it, Mick always had us doing well with set pieces - but it's not just managers like him who clearly work on them - Man City and Liverpool have scored the most set piece goals in the PL and Man City have only conceded 1 from set pieces too.

Poll: Of the Non Favourites for ITFC managers job who would you prefer
Blog: Reasons for Relegation

Not scoring from corners on 11:02 - Mar 28 with 1437 viewsSitfcB

Not scoring from corners on 10:58 - Mar 28 by SitfcB

Lee Evans against Doncaster.

COYB

Not scoring from corners on 11:03 - Mar 28 with 1432 viewsPhilTWTD

Not scoring from corners on 10:58 - Mar 28 by SitfcB

Ah yes, that was a really good header from a set piece.
Not scoring from corners on 11:06 - Mar 28 with 1409 viewsclive_baker

Not scoring from corners on 10:46 - Mar 28 by tractorboy1978

I don't think the delivery is too bad generally, we just don't seem to attack the ball very well. Berra, Chambers and Smith were real masters of that, despite not being towering centre backs. Murphy too. I don't remember Anderson/Tabb's delivery being particularly special.
[Post edited 28 Mar 2022 10:50]

Yeah definitely think it's a bit of both, Smith, Berra, Chambers were really threatening from set pieces, I think we also had a culture and identity that put a lot of emphasis on it under Mick, which I would imagine we don't now. Anderson put a lovely ball in though, to be fair to him.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Not scoring from corners on 11:55 - Mar 28 with 1318 viewsSamWhiteUK

That year when we had Chambers, Berra and Smith going up was brilliant for set pieces. I genuinely felt we were likely to score every time we went up there. I'd be interested to see the stats, to see if goals were as common as I remember. I'd wager we were one of the top teams in that regard that year.
Not scoring from corners on 13:08 - Mar 28 with 1244 viewslongtimefan

Not scoring from corners on 10:37 - Mar 28 by PhilTWTD

Norwood against Sunderland (not from a corner)
Not scoring from corners on 13:11 - Mar 28 with 1236 viewsPhilTWTD

Not scoring from corners on 11:55 - Mar 28 by SamWhiteUK

That year when we had Chambers, Berra and Smith going up was brilliant for set pieces. I genuinely felt we were likely to score every time we went up there. I'd be interested to see the stats, to see if goals were as common as I remember. I'd wager we were one of the top teams in that regard that year.

I think the two centre-halves that season, Smith and Berra, scored 13 between them. Murphy was obviously a big presence as well and I'm sure plenty of his 27 came from set pieces.
Not scoring from corners on 14:22 - Mar 28 with 1116 viewsITFC_Forever

Not scoring from corners on 10:07 - Mar 28 by Garv

Also goals from outside the box.

Jackson vs Burton the most recent one I can think of.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Not scoring from corners on 11:04 - Apr 1 with 919 viewsSamWhiteUK

Not scoring from corners on 13:11 - Mar 28 by PhilTWTD

I think the two centre-halves that season, Smith and Berra, scored 13 between them. Murphy was obviously a big presence as well and I'm sure plenty of his 27 came from set pieces.

Murphy as well, of course, I'd forgotten that was his goal-scoring year.
Not scoring from corners on 11:18 - Apr 1 with 883 viewsjayessess

We've had 405 corners this season and I think we've scored three times (Evans v Doncaster, Bonne v Shrews, Aluko v Cambridge). At 4% that's 13 goals we've missed out on.

If we'd scored another 13 goals our goal difference would be the same as Wigan's...

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024