Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Would Towns current team beat Sir Bobby Robsons? Video 10:03 - Nov 4 with 1660 viewsunstableblue

I look at the above video and look at the physicality of Robsons heroes - that later 1981 team was sensational in my mind (we need a statue of them all) - and the definition in their legs, but it was a different era, a different time

The fitness and training drills would have been far less intense, rigorous, scientific… etc etc

You think about the diet, the current training methods, the levels of fitness, the game analysis, the change in systems?

Oh and MS Word and laser printers?

The obvious answer is Robsons team were more talented - but a modern, extremely fit and technically drilled McKenna side (albeit in the third tier) would I think give them a very very good game.

Places Kevlar helmet on and awaits response?

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Would Towns current team beat Sir Bobby Robsons? Video on 10:23 - Nov 4 with 1575 viewsElephantintheRoom

It’s still five month’s to April Fool’s day.

I doubt the current mob would beat a proper bloke select managed by Mick McCarthy let alone any of Town’s decent teams from history. As yet they are struggling to keep up with Plymouth

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Would Towns current team beat Sir Bobby Robsons? Video on 10:33 - Nov 4 with 1550 viewsgeg1992

With the rules having been so different, I'm sure the match would have been abandoned! Many of the tackles back then wouldn't be OK now!

Poll: Who would you play in place of Burns on Sunday?

Would Towns current team beat Sir Bobby Robsons? Video on 10:37 - Nov 4 with 1534 viewshype313

No.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Would Towns current team beat Sir Bobby Robsons? Video on 10:43 - Nov 4 with 1517 viewsusm

In a one-off game, probably not, the Robson bos would come out on top
But over the course of a season I think the current lot would end up higher, purely due to better fitness, pace, coaching, tactics etc
[Post edited 4 Nov 2022 12:06]

FOYSC
Poll: Did Broad just get a hat trick without realising ?

Would Towns current team beat Sir Bobby Robsons? Video on 10:46 - Nov 4 with 1509 viewsBluefields

On a current playing surface or a 1970/80's one?
Remember Mich D'Avrays testimonial when a team of retired/aging pro's from the past made the then current side look silly.
Would Towns current team beat Sir Bobby Robsons? Video on 10:50 - Nov 4 with 1480 viewsArnoldMoorhen

Make the current team play 70 games in a season, plus internationals, and make them travel to Eastern Europe and play a match on a Wednesday before this game you are proposing on the Saturday, then we can talk.

I'm reasonably confident that, under the current rules, Eric Gates would win as many penalties as necessary for the boys of 81 to win, and that John Wark would score them all.

I wouldn't question Terry Butcher's physicality to his face, either.
Would Towns current team beat Sir Bobby Robsons? Video on 10:54 - Nov 4 with 1460 viewsKeno

I wonder how long Big Al would last before getting red carded either for a tackle or bad language!!

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Would Towns current team beat Sir Bobby Robsons? Video on 10:58 - Nov 4 with 1451 viewsOldFart71

I would very much doubt the Town team today would beat Robson's team. It has been highlighted about the fitness regime now under McKenna. But Robson's team played many more games. Smaller squad and but for that would have won the League which Aston Villa won due to our injuries. Wark was a better midfielder than any that Town have today. He scored goals for fun and very rarely missed a penalty. Mills and Burley were tremendous fullbacks. Muhren and Thyssen along with Wark were as good as any Premier League team today and better than most. Yes we had the ordinary players such as Osborne, Turner and Geddis and Cooper wasn't an International.
Login to get fewer ads

Would Towns current team beat Sir Bobby Robsons? Video on 11:08 - Nov 4 with 1408 viewsDarth_Koont

Easily.

And if Robson’s team had the same physical training advantages they’d win easily. With the caveat that they’d also probably need to develop a few more all-round and defensive skills. The much faster tempo would expose weaknesses.

Pronouns: He/Him

Would Towns current team beat Sir Bobby Robsons? Video on 11:08 - Nov 4 with 1406 viewsSuperblue95

Would Towns current team beat Sir Bobby Robsons? Video on 10:58 - Nov 4 by OldFart71

I would very much doubt the Town team today would beat Robson's team. It has been highlighted about the fitness regime now under McKenna. But Robson's team played many more games. Smaller squad and but for that would have won the League which Aston Villa won due to our injuries. Wark was a better midfielder than any that Town have today. He scored goals for fun and very rarely missed a penalty. Mills and Burley were tremendous fullbacks. Muhren and Thyssen along with Wark were as good as any Premier League team today and better than most. Yes we had the ordinary players such as Osborne, Turner and Geddis and Cooper wasn't an International.

Current lot would edge it but mostly because Robsons team are pensioners now.

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

Would Towns current team beat Sir Bobby Robsons? Video on 11:20 - Nov 4 with 1374 viewshoppy

Would it be with the League One standard referees officiating, or the likes of Clive Thomas....

Oh.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Would Towns current team beat Sir Bobby Robsons? Video on 11:26 - Nov 4 with 1361 viewsKeno

Would Towns current team beat Sir Bobby Robsons? Video on 11:20 - Nov 4 by hoppy

Would it be with the League One standard referees officiating, or the likes of Clive Thomas....

Oh.

sorry let me edit that for you or the likes of Clive ******** Welsh *********** **** B******* Thomas....

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Would Towns current team beat Sir Bobby Robsons? Video on 11:59 - Nov 4 with 1285 viewsBloomBlue

But could a 'extremely fit and technically drilled McKenna side' hack it for a 3pm Sat kickoff after a heavy pub crawl on the Friday night aka 70/80s style, personally I don't think they could especially with the state of pitches and heavier ball. Plus Gatesy would put in a couple of clever dives in the first 20 mins resulting in a red card for Morsey.
Would Towns current team beat Sir Bobby Robsons? Video on 12:00 - Nov 4 with 1272 viewshoppy

Would Towns current team beat Sir Bobby Robsons? Video on 11:59 - Nov 4 by BloomBlue

But could a 'extremely fit and technically drilled McKenna side' hack it for a 3pm Sat kickoff after a heavy pub crawl on the Friday night aka 70/80s style, personally I don't think they could especially with the state of pitches and heavier ball. Plus Gatesy would put in a couple of clever dives in the first 20 mins resulting in a red card for Morsey.

Half time ciggies? Or would they just have those instead of the 'drinks breaks' every time a player is down?

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Would Towns current team beat Sir Bobby Robsons? Video on 12:10 - Nov 4 with 1230 viewsBloomBlue

Would Towns current team beat Sir Bobby Robsons? Video on 12:00 - Nov 4 by hoppy

Half time ciggies? Or would they just have those instead of the 'drinks breaks' every time a player is down?

Although the 'drinks break' is a good point look at how many times our 'extremely fit and technically drilled' side stop for drinks, never did that in the 70/80s, could the current team play without stopping for a drinks break? Especially when you remember the heatwave of 1976, the team never stopped then. This current squad have it so easy.

*when the old squad did stop during the game for a drink the bottles contained vodka none of this energy drinks c**p
Would Towns current team beat Sir Bobby Robsons? Video on 12:14 - Nov 4 with 1204 viewsWeWereZombies

Would Towns current team beat Sir Bobby Robsons? Video on 12:00 - Nov 4 by hoppy

Don't be silly.

Nowadays Big Al and The Beat would have have a vape on the go with special instructions for the younger subs to meet them by the corner flag with it when someone in the crowd let off a flare....

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

Would Towns current team beat Sir Bobby Robsons? Video on 12:55 - Nov 4 with 1120 viewsBasingstokeBlue

I reckon they'd be about equal. After all, Bobby's team are getting on a bit, now.

Poll: What do you think of the three stars being relocated?

Would Towns current team beat Sir Bobby Robsons? Video on 13:08 - Nov 4 with 1053 viewsjayessess

I think if you time-travelled any elite team from 1981 forward in time to 2022 they'd lose to most professional teams.

Football is such a game of fine margins and in those 40 years billions have been spent trying to find ways to make footballers stronger, faster, fitter, more technically skilled, more tactically aware. To believe the 1981-teams win, you'd need to believe that most of that is largely pointless.
[Post edited 4 Nov 2022 13:12]

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024