Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
As the Tories plan to build on ULEZ Uxbridge win… UN General Secretary 16:36 - Jul 27 with 2547 viewsunstableblue

By cautioning speed of green action - UN leader calls for a slightly different level of urgency?!

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

As the Tories plan to build on ULEZ Uxbridge win… UN General Secretary on 16:42 - Jul 27 with 2499 viewsBlueschev

He obviously doesn't realise it's drizzly and overcast here in Felixstowe, in July! Greece is hot in summer shocker! It was really hot once in 1959 too. Case closed.
As the Tories plan to build on ULEZ Uxbridge win… UN General Secretary on 16:49 - Jul 27 with 2478 viewsBlueBadger

Yes, but the tennis and the cricket were briefly held up during one match.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Do we still want KM to be our manager
Blog: From Despair to Where?

As the Tories plan to build on ULEZ Uxbridge win… UN General Secretary on 16:52 - Jul 27 with 2469 viewsunstableblue

As the Tories plan to build on ULEZ Uxbridge win… UN General Secretary on 16:42 - Jul 27 by Blueschev

He obviously doesn't realise it's drizzly and overcast here in Felixstowe, in July! Greece is hot in summer shocker! It was really hot once in 1959 too. Case closed.

Don’t forget it’s a hoax because they changed the colours on the weather maps

And all scientists are wrong because of Covid and vaccines and sh!t

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

As the Tories plan to build on ULEZ Uxbridge win… UN General Secretary on 18:40 - Jul 27 with 2391 viewsGeoffSentence

I don't get people's problem with the ULEZ. It's basically a w@nkpanzer tax. If they called it that it would be a vote winner.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

As the Tories plan to build on ULEZ Uxbridge win… UN General Secretary on 19:13 - Jul 27 with 2335 viewsHARRY10

As the Tories plan to build on ULEZ Uxbridge win… UN General Secretary on 18:40 - Jul 27 by GeoffSentence

I don't get people's problem with the ULEZ. It's basically a w@nkpanzer tax. If they called it that it would be a vote winner.

90% of cars will not face this charge. I expect you can tell us which ones will.

Certainly not those whizzing round the M25, a few miles away.

But then like 'British' fish those fumes will know which part of the UK they can enter and which part not.

Not, being the extended area of London it would seem.
As the Tories plan to build on ULEZ Uxbridge win… UN General Secretary on 19:24 - Jul 27 with 2336 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

As the Tories plan to build on ULEZ Uxbridge win… UN General Secretary on 18:40 - Jul 27 by GeoffSentence

“It's basically a w@nkpanzer tax”

…it isn’t that’s the problem:

2013 Vw polo TDI 1.2 (co2 102g/km). Not compliant

2019 Range Rover 5.0v8 (co2 298g/km) Compliant.

Don’t be poor I guess.
As the Tories plan to build on ULEZ Uxbridge win… UN General Secretary on 06:51 - Jul 28 with 2172 viewsDanTheMan

As the Tories plan to build on ULEZ Uxbridge win… UN General Secretary on 19:24 - Jul 27 by SuperKieranMcKenna

“It's basically a w@nkpanzer tax”

…it isn’t that’s the problem:

2013 Vw polo TDI 1.2 (co2 102g/km). Not compliant

2019 Range Rover 5.0v8 (co2 298g/km) Compliant.

Don’t be poor I guess.

Whilst it's definitely crappy if you're on a low income and have to deal with it, going by CO2 emissions isn't quite right here as it's taking into account much more than that.

Older diesels are particularly bad for their emissions for things like HC and NOx which I imagine is the main difference between those two vehicles.

Maybe there should be a fund that everyone pays for to help get vehicles up to a better standard where possible, means tested.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

As the Tories plan to build on ULEZ Uxbridge win… UN General Secretary on 08:16 - Jul 28 with 2112 viewsDJR

As the Tories plan to build on ULEZ Uxbridge win… UN General Secretary on 06:51 - Jul 28 by DanTheMan

Whilst it's definitely crappy if you're on a low income and have to deal with it, going by CO2 emissions isn't quite right here as it's taking into account much more than that.

Older diesels are particularly bad for their emissions for things like HC and NOx which I imagine is the main difference between those two vehicles.

Maybe there should be a fund that everyone pays for to help get vehicles up to a better standard where possible, means tested.

I think things like NOx are the reason, not least because of their toxic nature on the local environment.

They also happen to be greenhouse gases, but according to a chart I saw transportation is responsible for only 5% of NOx omissions in the US when agriculture is 74%, which suggests that climate change isn't the reason for tighter controls on NOx emissions. It might also suggest the move away from meat is not as environmentally friendly as one might imagine if it leads to more crops being grown.

And there is a slight irony in the fact that more modern diesel cars have had to increase carbon dioxide emissions to cut NOx emissions.

I say this as someone who bought a diesel Kia C'eed in 2013 (and still have it). My motivation was that it had around the lowest CO2 emissions I could find (94g/km), and I pay no road tax. But it is not ULEZ compliant despite doing what I thought was the right thing at the time I bought it.
[Post edited 28 Jul 2023 8:55]
Login to get fewer ads

As the Tories plan to build on ULEZ Uxbridge win… UN General Secretary on 08:24 - Jul 28 with 2099 viewsGlasgowBlue

That’s a surprisingly ignorant comment from you. The people who are hit hardest by ULEZ are the poorest car drivers and the elderly.These are the people who can’t afford brand new shiny cars and are hit with a tax of £60 a week.

I support any measures that improve air quality btw, but we need to bring in a more generous scrapage scheme, and help those who need their car but can’t afford a new model.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

As the Tories plan to build on ULEZ Uxbridge win… UN General Secretary on 09:00 - Jul 28 with 2049 viewsMeadowlark

As the Tories plan to build on ULEZ Uxbridge win… UN General Secretary on 16:42 - Jul 27 by Blueschev

Yeah, but Felixstowe doesn't have those 5G masts up yet.
You wait...
As the Tories plan to build on ULEZ Uxbridge win… UN General Secretary on 09:20 - Jul 28 with 2006 viewsDJR

Interesting to see Tony Blair (in his New Statesman article) appearing to side with some of the arguments the Tories are making, which is something the right wing press have picked up on.

“Well, it’s the single biggest global challenge, right, and Britain should play its part in that. But its part frankly is going to be less to do with Britain’s emissions. I mean, one year’s rise in China’s emissions would outscore the whole of Britain’s emissions for a year.”

“Don’t ask us to do a huge amount when frankly whatever we do in Britain is not really going to impact climate change. The number one issue today – and this is where Britain could play a part – is how do you finance the energy transition? Because, basically, the developed world’s emissions are going down, but the developing world’s are going up. These countries have got to grow, so how do you finance the transition? Secondly, how do you accelerate the technology?”
As the Tories plan to build on ULEZ Uxbridge win… UN General Secretary on 12:31 - Jul 28 with 1936 viewsBlueschev

As the Tories plan to build on ULEZ Uxbridge win… UN General Secretary on 08:16 - Jul 28 by DJR

I think things like NOx are the reason, not least because of their toxic nature on the local environment.

They also happen to be greenhouse gases, but according to a chart I saw transportation is responsible for only 5% of NOx omissions in the US when agriculture is 74%, which suggests that climate change isn't the reason for tighter controls on NOx emissions. It might also suggest the move away from meat is not as environmentally friendly as one might imagine if it leads to more crops being grown.

And there is a slight irony in the fact that more modern diesel cars have had to increase carbon dioxide emissions to cut NOx emissions.

I say this as someone who bought a diesel Kia C'eed in 2013 (and still have it). My motivation was that it had around the lowest CO2 emissions I could find (94g/km), and I pay no road tax. But it is not ULEZ compliant despite doing what I thought was the right thing at the time I bought it.
[Post edited 28 Jul 2023 8:55]

"It might also suggest the move away from meat is not as environmentally friendly as one might imagine if it leads to more crops being grown."

Would it not be the case that in the scenario of a meat-free world, land previously used to grow food for animal feed would be used to feed humans, and vast cattle farms etc would no longer be required seeing a massive reduction in deforestation? That's what I'd assumed but am no expert.
As the Tories plan to build on ULEZ Uxbridge win… UN General Secretary on 12:41 - Jul 28 with 1918 viewsSwansea_Blue

Sister in law lives in one and hates it Usual story - not much money, old car but a very small one and can't afford to pay the £12 fee or whatever it is each day.

I do have some sympathy as there is an element of inequality to it.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

As the Tories plan to build on ULEZ Uxbridge win… UN General Secretary on 12:49 - Jul 28 with 1908 viewsgiant_stow

As the Tories plan to build on ULEZ Uxbridge win… UN General Secretary on 12:41 - Jul 28 by Swansea_Blue

Sister in law lives in one and hates it Usual story - not much money, old car but a very small one and can't afford to pay the £12 fee or whatever it is each day.

I do have some sympathy as there is an element of inequality to it.

I don;t like the rationing by ability to pay side of things, but having said that, I valued my Ulez compliant 15 year old petrol Civic yesterday online - came out between £850 - £1500, so she may may be able to swap hers for a compliant one?
[Post edited 28 Jul 2023 12:50]

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

As the Tories plan to build on ULEZ Uxbridge win… UN General Secretary on 12:56 - Jul 28 with 1882 viewsSwansea_Blue

As the Tories plan to build on ULEZ Uxbridge win… UN General Secretary on 12:49 - Jul 28 by giant_stow

I don;t like the rationing by ability to pay side of things, but having said that, I valued my Ulez compliant 15 year old petrol Civic yesterday online - came out between £850 - £1500, so she may may be able to swap hers for a compliant one?
[Post edited 28 Jul 2023 12:50]

They have been looking I think but struggling to find the cash right now. Cars seem stupidly priced at the mo.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

As the Tories plan to build on ULEZ Uxbridge win… UN General Secretary on 13:00 - Jul 28 with 1877 viewsbournemouthblue

Uxbridge has history of nimbysism in regards to transport, apparently it was adamantly against some kind of tram system expanding into Uxbridge

A bit like the Northern Bypass over here

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

As the Tories plan to build on ULEZ Uxbridge win… UN General Secretary on 13:10 - Jul 28 with 1858 viewsDJR

As the Tories plan to build on ULEZ Uxbridge win… UN General Secretary on 12:31 - Jul 28 by Blueschev

"It might also suggest the move away from meat is not as environmentally friendly as one might imagine if it leads to more crops being grown."

Would it not be the case that in the scenario of a meat-free world, land previously used to grow food for animal feed would be used to feed humans, and vast cattle farms etc would no longer be required seeing a massive reduction in deforestation? That's what I'd assumed but am no expert.

Me neither! My only thought is that without meat, there might be not enough food around, and so there might be the need to extend the land given over to crops, especially as, say meat from lamb comes from what is otherwise fairly infertile land.
[Post edited 28 Jul 2023 13:14]
As the Tories plan to build on ULEZ Uxbridge win… UN General Secretary on 13:17 - Jul 28 with 1824 viewsEwan_Oozami

As the Tories plan to build on ULEZ Uxbridge win… UN General Secretary on 13:00 - Jul 28 by bournemouthblue

Uxbridge has history of nimbysism in regards to transport, apparently it was adamantly against some kind of tram system expanding into Uxbridge

A bit like the Northern Bypass over here

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

As the Tories plan to build on ULEZ Uxbridge win… UN General Secretary on 15:26 - Jul 28 with 1783 viewsDJR

As the Tories plan to build on ULEZ Uxbridge win… UN General Secretary on 13:17 - Jul 28 by Ewan_Oozami

Magnificent. I really love Art Deco buildings.
[Post edited 28 Jul 2023 15:26]
As the Tories plan to build on ULEZ Uxbridge win… UN General Secretary on 16:09 - Jul 28 with 1738 viewsHARRY10

" It might also suggest the move away from meat is not as environmentally friendly as one might imagine if it leads to more crops being grown. "

eh ?

It is fairly obvious that the amount of grain grown and then fed to cattle is far more than if that grain was fed directly to humans. The exact amount is hard to calculate, but the idea that if humans stopped consuming meat MORE crops would need to be grown ius patently absurd.

The concern is that with ever increasing amounts of meat being eaten the amount of previously unused land (forest) is now being used - removal of around an area of the size of Wales every year in Brazil.

One of the reasons there is a higher consumption of meat is the lower costs of productiuon. Which has come avout in part by intensive use of grain......................which is grown in previously forested areas.
As the Tories plan to build on ULEZ Uxbridge win… UN General Secretary on 16:29 - Jul 28 with 1734 viewseireblue

As the Tories plan to build on ULEZ Uxbridge win… UN General Secretary on 13:10 - Jul 28 by DJR

Me neither! My only thought is that without meat, there might be not enough food around, and so there might be the need to extend the land given over to crops, especially as, say meat from lamb comes from what is otherwise fairly infertile land.
[Post edited 28 Jul 2023 13:14]

There was a study that the U.K. could be food secure on a vegan diet.

Protein per hectare, as an example, is increased for vegan diets.

Plenty of scientific evidence around to show how much a vegan diet will reduces the impact on the planet.

You could go vegan tomorrow if you wanted to.
As the Tories plan to build on ULEZ Uxbridge win… UN General Secretary on 18:42 - Jul 28 with 1684 viewsDJR

As the Tories plan to build on ULEZ Uxbridge win… UN General Secretary on 16:29 - Jul 28 by eireblue

There was a study that the U.K. could be food secure on a vegan diet.

Protein per hectare, as an example, is increased for vegan diets.

Plenty of scientific evidence around to show how much a vegan diet will reduces the impact on the planet.

You could go vegan tomorrow if you wanted to.

I'm happy to bow to your superior knowledge.
As the Tories plan to build on ULEZ Uxbridge win… UN General Secretary on 07:33 - Jul 29 with 1578 viewsDJR

As the Tories plan to build on ULEZ Uxbridge win… UN General Secretary on 09:20 - Jul 28 by DJR

Interesting to see Tony Blair (in his New Statesman article) appearing to side with some of the arguments the Tories are making, which is something the right wing press have picked up on.

“Well, it’s the single biggest global challenge, right, and Britain should play its part in that. But its part frankly is going to be less to do with Britain’s emissions. I mean, one year’s rise in China’s emissions would outscore the whole of Britain’s emissions for a year.”

“Don’t ask us to do a huge amount when frankly whatever we do in Britain is not really going to impact climate change. The number one issue today – and this is where Britain could play a part – is how do you finance the energy transition? Because, basically, the developed world’s emissions are going down, but the developing world’s are going up. These countries have got to grow, so how do you finance the transition? Secondly, how do you accelerate the technology?”

Listening to Lewis Goodall yesterday, Blair's comments, along with attacks by people like Rachel Reeves and others close to the leadership on the ULEZ expansion, are evidence of a conflict inside the party between the leadership, on the one hand, and Sadiq Khan and Ed Miliband, on the other, both of whom are thought of being too much in favour of green policies.

This points to more rowing back by Labour on green issues (the £28 billion green plan being the first), but it is also interesting to note the briefings against Miliband mirror the constant undermining of him by the Blairites when he was leader.

[Post edited 29 Jul 2023 7:35]
As the Tories plan to build on ULEZ Uxbridge win… UN General Secretary on 08:08 - Jul 29 with 1551 viewsDJR

As the Tories plan to build on ULEZ Uxbridge win… UN General Secretary on 07:33 - Jul 29 by DJR

Listening to Lewis Goodall yesterday, Blair's comments, along with attacks by people like Rachel Reeves and others close to the leadership on the ULEZ expansion, are evidence of a conflict inside the party between the leadership, on the one hand, and Sadiq Khan and Ed Miliband, on the other, both of whom are thought of being too much in favour of green policies.

This points to more rowing back by Labour on green issues (the £28 billion green plan being the first), but it is also interesting to note the briefings against Miliband mirror the constant undermining of him by the Blairites when he was leader.

[Post edited 29 Jul 2023 7:35]

This from today's Guardian would appear to confirm what I say in my post.

At first glance, it has looked this week as though the Tories’ splits on green issues could be mirrored in the Labour party. In the hours after last week’s Uxbridge byelection result, more than one ally of Keir Starmer was taking the shadow net zero secretary Ed Miliband’s name in vain.

While the Labour leader blamed the expansion of Sadiq Khan’s clean air zone for his party failing by just 495 votes to take Uxbridge and South Ruislip from the Tories, others felt it spoke to a wider electoral vulnerability.

One party source said: “It shows that our focus on the green agenda could backfire. We need to be careful that it doesn’t leave us open to Tory attacks or let it distract from our core messages.”

Another added: “We need to talk about the economic challenge rather than net zero. That’s the public’s overwhelming priority”.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024