Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Can we just change the rules 17:16 - Aug 13 with 2957 viewsgtsb1966

Chelsea v Liverpool, 2 goals disallowed through VAR but correct as the rule stands. Fans can't celebrate goals anymore incase the scorers finger was offside. Can't we go back to the old rule of clear daylight. Would make the game so much better for the fans.
Can we just change the rules on 17:18 - Aug 13 with 2699 viewsBlueStreak

Clear daylight doesn’t work as the same argument would happen when any decision is tight.

What we need is umpires call that when it’s within a certain parameter then the on field decision stays.
Can we just change the rules on 17:18 - Aug 13 with 2698 viewsJ2BLUE

It's crap isn't it? Supposed to be used for clear and obvious errors. Now we are drawing lines and seeing if the tip of someone's cock is offside.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Can we just change the rules on 17:21 - Aug 13 with 2658 viewsredrickstuhaart

VAR has ruined things. Unfortunately, "clear daylight" will create exactly the same issue.

We will also continue to go backwards when ex pros like Neville come out with nonsense about going off after injury. The recently injured player, was genuinely hurt, but could easily have hobbled off for treatment. And should be forced to do so. Then we might not have to add 25% to the length of games...
Can we just change the rules on 17:22 - Aug 13 with 2654 viewsredrickstuhaart

Can we just change the rules on 17:18 - Aug 13 by BlueStreak

Clear daylight doesn’t work as the same argument would happen when any decision is tight.

What we need is umpires call that when it’s within a certain parameter then the on field decision stays.

Umpires call basically.
Can we just change the rules on 17:22 - Aug 13 with 2637 viewsgtsb1966

Can we just change the rules on 17:18 - Aug 13 by J2BLUE

It's crap isn't it? Supposed to be used for clear and obvious errors. Now we are drawing lines and seeing if the tip of someone's cock is offside.

No chance of me being offside then!
Can we just change the rules on 17:25 - Aug 13 with 2612 viewsSheffordBlue

They all wear GPS vests now. Just take the VAR off the GPS chip position and make it an automatic decision - could be as quick as the goal line technology.

Poll: How many points do you think you'll need to get a ticket for Norwich?

Can we just change the rules on 17:28 - Aug 13 with 2551 viewsMattinLondon

I thought that VAR was brought in to correct clear and obvious incorrect decisions. I don’t think being a centimetre offside amounts to being clear and obvious.

Personally I’ll keep VAR but allow each team to appeal three times a half for any decision. But if they don’t appeal and a goal is a few centimetres offside then it still stands. I’ll also keep VAR for off the ball incidents etc.
Can we just change the rules on 17:30 - Aug 13 with 2534 viewsgtsb1966

Can we just change the rules on 17:28 - Aug 13 by MattinLondon

I thought that VAR was brought in to correct clear and obvious incorrect decisions. I don’t think being a centimetre offside amounts to being clear and obvious.

Personally I’ll keep VAR but allow each team to appeal three times a half for any decision. But if they don’t appeal and a goal is a few centimetres offside then it still stands. I’ll also keep VAR for off the ball incidents etc.

How long would each half be though especially with the added time rules.
Login to get fewer ads

Can we just change the rules on 17:33 - Aug 13 with 2498 viewsMattinLondon

Can we just change the rules on 17:30 - Aug 13 by gtsb1966

How long would each half be though especially with the added time rules.

That’s the thing - as fans we moan when the ball isn’t in play for so many minutes, we moan if the ref misses something and we moan if a team wastes time by taking too long. We either accept longer halves or turn back the clock a few years.
Can we just change the rules on 17:34 - Aug 13 with 2490 viewsJ2BLUE

Give each manager a jokers wild as well where there's no offsides for their team for 10 minutes and you get 3 free fouls.

Play that at the same time as the tornado card where you get to play 3 of your subs.

Eat your heart out 20/20 cricket.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Can we just change the rules on 17:50 - Aug 13 with 2415 viewsIllinoisblue

Now the VAR misses what looked an obvious hand ball

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Can we just change the rules on 18:14 - Aug 13 with 2314 viewsSwansea_Blue

Can we just change the rules on 17:18 - Aug 13 by J2BLUE

You’d need someone up in the floodlights to reach mine. Def info.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Can we just change the rules on 18:18 - Aug 13 with 2292 viewsEastTownBlue

Offsides going to VAR would run a lot smoother with the automated offsides as seen in FIFA and UEFA competitions instead of the tedious drawing of the lines in the PL.
Can we just change the rules on 20:37 - Aug 13 with 2047 viewslazyblue

If the decision is correct then just get on with it, at least it stops the bloody managers moaning after every game.
Can we just change the rules on 20:56 - Aug 13 with 1995 viewsHighgateBlue

Can we just change the rules on 17:22 - Aug 13 by redrickstuhaart

Umpires call basically.

I like umpire's call in cricket. But the thing is, in cricket, the technology is trying to predict what /would have/ happened to the ball if it had not hit the pad. So there is some uncertainty to it. In tight situations, that uncertainty is recognised by giving primacy to the umpire's opinion.

In offside situations, if you trust the photographic evidence at all, there's no need for an umpire's call rule, as you can see where the players are. There just needs to be a rule to determine which parts of bodies we're considering, and whether we need clear daylight or not. I would find it hard to support a rule that says "yes i know the photo proves he was offside, but we're still gonna let the ref say he wasn't". If you go down that road, you may as well do away with VAR for offside, and always trust the officials. Some would of course support that.

Sometimes there's a really close call and people get upset when only a toe is offside or whatever, but there's nothing inherently wrong with a goal being allowed or disallowed due to fine margins - nobody has a problem when a ball crosses a goalline by a tiny margin, and is then clawed back out - if all of the ball was over all of the line, then it's a goal - it doesn't matter by how much.
Can we just change the rules on 21:00 - Aug 13 with 1981 viewsITFC_Forever

VAR being crap is not new news.

P 1126, W 502, D 288, L 336, F 1711, A 1360
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Can we just change the rules on 21:09 - Aug 13 with 1954 viewsStewart27

I don’t get this.

Fans can still celebrate. Even without VAR any tight decision I still look at the lino. Offside is offside. Why is it ok to be offside by a subjective amount of space?

The decision just needs to be a little quicker. It’s pretty black and white and now you can’t get cheated out of offside goals.
Can we just change the rules on 22:37 - Aug 13 with 1743 viewsstrikalite

Yep clear daylight for me, it would be so much clearer to see that the player could be offside, I don't mind them therefore checking for daylight ...right now the decision is far too close to call..
Can we just change the rules on 23:23 - Aug 13 with 1659 viewsStewart27

Can we just change the rules on 22:37 - Aug 13 by strikalite

Yep clear daylight for me, it would be so much clearer to see that the player could be offside, I don't mind them therefore checking for daylight ...right now the decision is far too close to call..

Then they would be checking for daylight as opposed to body parts. It’d still be checked.

Surely this makes the officials job harder?

Offside is offside.
Can we just change the rules on 23:49 - Aug 13 with 1620 viewsSarge

Can we just change the rules on 17:25 - Aug 13 by SheffordBlue

They all wear GPS vests now. Just take the VAR off the GPS chip position and make it an automatic decision - could be as quick as the goal line technology.

GPS is nowhere near accurate enough to provide any use at the kind of fractions of millimetres that VAR relies on but to be honest I don’t think VAR is either. It’s just lines drawn to some random degree of precision on a grainy image seemingly as slow as possible in order to suck as much excitement out of the game as it can.
Can we just change the rules on 23:54 - Aug 13 with 1616 viewsNthsuffolkblue

The are 2 better solutions.

1 Abolish the offside rule completely.

2 Use technology to judge it live instead of using retrospective human judgments - a camera that moves up and down the line in line with the penultimate defensive player and is linked to a button pressed by an observer every time a forward pass is made. The only need for any correction then (by VAR) is when it turns out the apparent forward pass was by a defender instead.

Either change simplifies and speeds up the game as well.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Can we just change the rules on 00:18 - Aug 14 with 1594 viewsCrayonKing

Can we just change the rules on 23:54 - Aug 13 by Nthsuffolkblue

2 Use technology to judge it live instead of using retrospective human judgments - a camera that moves up and down the line in line with the penultimate defensive player and is linked to a button pressed by an observer every time a forward pass is made. The only need for any correction then (by VAR) is when it turns out the apparent forward pass was by a defender instead.

3. Let the assistant referee judge if it's offside and just accept that they'll make occasional mistakes.
Can we just change the rules on 05:48 - Aug 14 with 1437 viewsBattersea_Blue

Personally I'd set the VAR rule for offside based on the players feet.

The Chelsea "goal" that was chalked off yesterday, the runner's feet were onside. His shoulders were offside because he was leaning, ready to start his run forward. IMHO that's not offside. A good forward will anticipate the through ball, part of his skillset.

The other method is to have a line drawn across the pitch, say 30 or 35 yards out, which is the offside line, meaning you can't be offside if your outside that line. That would stop all the condensing of players at say goal kicks, where pretty much all the players are huddled in a small area near the half way line.

Can't be offside in your own half has been the rule since year dot I'm assuming. Time to possibly change that.
Can we just change the rules on 07:03 - Aug 14 with 1331 viewsUSA

Just scrap the offside rule. It ends this farce. Whilst it changes the game It’s the same for Both teams and let’s see how teams adapt. If a rule cannot be agreed upon and consistently enforced then just get rid.
Can we just change the rules on 07:15 - Aug 14 with 1290 viewsBudapestByBlimp

Can we just change the rules on 23:54 - Aug 13 by Nthsuffolkblue

In terms of speed of decisions I wonder how far away we are from using AI for making these calls?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024