Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Who did you pick as your "surprise" player this season? 13:14 - Oct 30 with 3214 viewsBigCommon

There was a post pre season asking for everyone's choice of "surprise" player, that might emerge this season...
Think we can agree that its clearly Hladky so far..

I had Kyle Edwards... That went well..

Did anyone pick Hladky?
If not, who did you pick? And how they doing?
Who did you pick as your "surprise" player this season? on 13:30 - Oct 30 with 3137 viewsIllinoisblue

Re Hladky. This puts it into perspective how impressive he’s been:

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Who did you pick as your "surprise" player this season? on 13:37 - Oct 30 with 3087 viewsunstableblue

I didn't pick anyone

But has to be Hladky retrospectively! incredible form and season.. he's generated a lot of points

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Who did you pick as your "surprise" player this season? on 13:39 - Oct 30 with 3068 views_clive_baker_

Hladky has done incredibly well, but I think Burgess also needs a shout out. I had confidence he was a 'head it, kick it' defender but he's been much better on the ball than I was giving him credit for previously. Seems to have come on leaps and bounds in that respect.
Who did you pick as your "surprise" player this season? on 13:45 - Oct 30 with 3019 viewsArnieM

Hladky 100%…. Hrs totally grabbed his chance snd looks unstoppable now.

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Great stat on 13:52 - Oct 30 with 2991 viewsDyland

Who did you pick as your "surprise" player this season? on 13:30 - Oct 30 by Illinoisblue

Add in how much of his play leads to chances and/or goals and there’s a good shout for him being player of the season so far, across the whole league.

Very well done Vaclav and not to take anything away from his performances, McK will note the clear opps we are giving the oppo. I guess this is mitigated somewhat by the way we play and the chances we create so no great shakes.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Who did you pick as your "surprise" player this season? on 13:53 - Oct 30 with 2967 viewstextbackup

Vas and Burgess have been the 2 that have really raised eyebrows. They’ve been outstanding IMO.

I believe I too picked Edwards…

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Who did you pick as your "surprise" player this season? on 13:54 - Oct 30 with 2969 viewshadleighboyblue

Who did you pick as your "surprise" player this season? on 13:39 - Oct 30 by _clive_baker_

Hladky has done incredibly well, but I think Burgess also needs a shout out. I had confidence he was a 'head it, kick it' defender but he's been much better on the ball than I was giving him credit for previously. Seems to have come on leaps and bounds in that respect.

Would guess that both Hladky and Burgess , along with the rest of the squad , have benefitted hugely from our coaching staff .
Who did you pick as your "surprise" player this season? on 13:55 - Oct 30 with 2963 viewsVegtablue

Who did you pick as your "surprise" player this season? on 13:30 - Oct 30 by Illinoisblue

Crazily, Alex Jones is doing a disservice to him. Those figures are provided by Fotmob, who like Fbref and others all rely on Opta for their stats. Opta's stats have now updated since Plymouth:

Eagle-eyed readers may notice that only Leicester's keepers appear on the page. Our rival top two keepers are mostly located on page two:

[Post edited 30 Oct 2023 14:01]
Login to get fewer ads

Who did you pick as your "surprise" player this season? on 14:04 - Oct 30 with 2898 viewsChurchman

I didn’t pick anyone but did defend Burgess quite vigorously in here against those who didn’t want to give him a chance at this level so I guess my choice would have been him.

However, Hladky has been off the scale. Amazing performances, including Saturday’s. I was counting the weeks until Walton got fit again. He’s still number one and a better goalkeeper overall in my eyes, but Hladky has been a revelation and can’t be dropped at the moment.

Make what you will of that contradiction all in one sentence!
Who did you pick as your "surprise" player this season? on 14:16 - Oct 30 with 2844 views_clive_baker_

Who did you pick as your "surprise" player this season? on 13:54 - Oct 30 by hadleighboyblue

Would guess that both Hladky and Burgess , along with the rest of the squad , have benefitted hugely from our coaching staff .

You would hope so. I can't help but feel Hladky is a confidence player too, got off to a poor start here really, numerous individual errors and in a poor side, then could barely get a game. It must've been hard for him seeing last seasons success but probably not truly feeling like he was contributing. Not a nice position to be in.

Then thrown in to the side through necessity, and asked to play with such bravery on the ball. He looked visibly nervous IMO, understandably, but now seems like he's walking a foot taller and with so much belief in himself.
Who did you pick as your "surprise" player this season? on 14:20 - Oct 30 with 2812 viewswkj

I don't think a single soul could have predicted Hladky before the season started. He's getting up there towards the Bart level of love

Premier Poster. Too good to be elite.
Poll: Who do you want to see join us IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Who did you pick as your "surprise" player this season? on 14:22 - Oct 30 with 2797 viewsMach_foreignBlue

Hladky and Burgess.
Who did you pick as your "surprise" player this season? on 14:28 - Oct 30 with 2767 viewsTresBonne

Who did you pick as your "surprise" player this season? on 13:55 - Oct 30 by Vegtablue

Crazily, Alex Jones is doing a disservice to him. Those figures are provided by Fotmob, who like Fbref and others all rely on Opta for their stats. Opta's stats have now updated since Plymouth:

Eagle-eyed readers may notice that only Leicester's keepers appear on the page. Our rival top two keepers are mostly located on page two:

[Post edited 30 Oct 2023 14:01]

A genuine question, not trying to come across as taking the p1ss.

How is the 'goals prevented' stat calculated? Surely every save from a SoT is a goal prevented. Or is it like, a high xG chance save?
Who did you pick as your "surprise" player this season? on 14:39 - Oct 30 with 2722 viewsVegtablue

Who did you pick as your "surprise" player this season? on 14:28 - Oct 30 by TresBonne

A genuine question, not trying to come across as taking the p1ss.

How is the 'goals prevented' stat calculated? Surely every save from a SoT is a goal prevented. Or is it like, a high xG chance save?

A very good question. Opta analyse all shots on target after they've taken place and award a goal probability to every effort. So it's a post-shooting model, unlike the normal xG models which are pre-shooting.
Great stat on 14:41 - Oct 30 with 2710 viewsIllinoisblue

Great stat on 13:52 - Oct 30 by Dyland

Add in how much of his play leads to chances and/or goals and there’s a good shout for him being player of the season so far, across the whole league.

Very well done Vaclav and not to take anything away from his performances, McK will note the clear opps we are giving the oppo. I guess this is mitigated somewhat by the way we play and the chances we create so no great shakes.

Yep he’s got plenty of “pre-assists” this season. Integral to how we play.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Who did you pick as your "surprise" player this season? on 16:07 - Oct 30 with 2527 viewsFrimleyBlue

I too said Edwards

He'd be having a ball right now if he stayed imo.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Who did you pick as your "surprise" player this season? on 18:57 - Oct 30 with 2346 viewsArnieM

Who did you pick as your "surprise" player this season? on 13:39 - Oct 30 by _clive_baker_

He’s our best CB, and when he first came into the team ahead of Edmundson we stopped conceding silly goals . Both he and Woolfie have developed together, but I’m really interested to see how Axel does because fitness allowing, once he’s in the team I can’t see him being dropped anytime soon if past videos of him at CB are anything to go by. He’s exactly what we’re missing.

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Who did you pick as your "surprise" player this season? on 21:23 - Oct 30 with 2223 viewsBondiBlue

Who did you pick as your "surprise" player this season? on 18:57 - Oct 30 by ArnieM

He’s our best CB, and when he first came into the team ahead of Edmundson we stopped conceding silly goals . Both he and Woolfie have developed together, but I’m really interested to see how Axel does because fitness allowing, once he’s in the team I can’t see him being dropped anytime soon if past videos of him at CB are anything to go by. He’s exactly what we’re missing.

Noteworthy how mckenna has picked edmundson twice over burgess recently because of his pace. Tuanzebe looks even quicker than edmundson. I suppose if you want to play attacking football you need your CBs to be quick so that they can push high and then recover. As fantastic as burgess has been for us this season, i wonder if maybe long-term he's still one that may not go all the way to the prem with us for that reason.

Poll: Which would you accept?

Who did you pick as your "surprise" player this season? on 00:12 - Oct 31 with 2070 viewsBigCommon

Who did you pick as your "surprise" player this season? on 21:23 - Oct 30 by BondiBlue

Noteworthy how mckenna has picked edmundson twice over burgess recently because of his pace. Tuanzebe looks even quicker than edmundson. I suppose if you want to play attacking football you need your CBs to be quick so that they can push high and then recover. As fantastic as burgess has been for us this season, i wonder if maybe long-term he's still one that may not go all the way to the prem with us for that reason.

Either way, his stock would have risen considerably, you'd have thought. Especially having broken into the Aussie squad and looking very comfortable...
It will be interesting to see whether we stick to our current game plan as the season progresses. I'm sure there will be games that suit Burgess more than Fridge.. Axel will need some sensible game management, if we are to get the most from him, over the entirety of the remainder of the season... In all honesty, if Axel is deemed squad fit, I could see , maybe, Fridge and/or JD , moving in January, given that we've got back up , more versatile players , in Clarke, Williams and Ball on the books... I'm not for one second wishing for that to happen. But it wouldn't be a total shock, imo...
Perhaps Fridge getting the nod a couple of times lately, is for a number of reasons? Tactically, as well as putting him on show. And also giving Burgess a breather, as he was on international duty, when others got a few free days..?
Who did you pick as your "surprise" player this season? on 06:51 - Oct 31 with 1961 viewsitfcserbia

Fantastic keeper who got judged too quickly when he first joined.
But this also puts into perspective how shaky our defending has been at times. Hope we can stabilize this home/away disparity in form and performances before Dec-Jan period. It will be interesting to see how McKenna goes about it as we've had quite a few managers in the past fixing the defending and ruining attacking in the process or vice versa.

Semper fidelis!
Poll: Would you sack Paul Cook?

Who did you pick as your "surprise" player this season? on 14:42 - Oct 31 with 1699 viewsHelp

Ed Sheeran. Still waiting for him to surprise me
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024