Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Travel ideas 11:20 - Jul 12 with 10955 viewsKing_of_Portman_Rd

I've been pondering what to do for the wife's birthday this year but having suggested a long weekend away (which she seemed keen) I've backed myself into a corner and need to come up with something..

Having done a few (Cologne, Riga, Warsaw) I wanted to take her somewhere nice (but ultimately cheap) and could be considered romantic, I've pushed back on the idea of Venice etc. but flights aren't that expensive. I'd love to go to Croatia but budget would be well & truly stretched.

It is for September time and my Ideas so far are: both Eindhoven & Amsterdam, Verona & Venice, Basel/Switzerland, Vienna, Budapest.

I'm focusing more southern area of Europe (if possible) as she isn't a fan of cold weather.. Any recommendations or further suggestions would be welcomed.
Travel ideas on 11:23 - Jul 12 with 6716 viewsBlueStreak

I am taking the other half to Copenhagen for her 30th.

Flights are about £32 return at the moment and they fly at great time. Copenhagen is a great city as well and under a 2 hour flight away.

I would look into that.
Travel ideas on 11:25 - Jul 12 with 6701 viewsGeoffSentence

Rome is hard to beat. Can be quite pricey though, otherwise a nice historic Spanish city,Madrid Or Granada maybe
[Post edited 12 Jul 2017 11:26]

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Travel ideas on 11:26 - Jul 12 with 6693 viewsKieran_Knows

Me and the missus just booked a weekend away to Vienna next March for £145 each. Nice hotel and good flight times (although we are flying out of Luton).

At this point I would usually hijack the thread and ask people what to do in Vienna (I have no idea, we just wanted to book a weekend away somewhere), but seeings as I don't go till March, i'll ask nearer the time!

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Travel ideas on 11:26 - Jul 12 with 6692 viewssoupytwist

I went to Madrid in late May and loved it.

It's not expensive for a European capital and it would be a lovely place to go with your other half to just wander round, chill out and take in a bit of culture as well. Weather should be decent in September.

You could even take in a game at the new Atletico stadium if you're lucky.
Travel ideas on 11:27 - Jul 12 with 6685 viewstaximan

"nice but ultimately cheap"

is your lady not worth spending money on then ?
Travel ideas on 11:28 - Jul 12 with 6683 viewsNo9

Lisbon.
Lovely city, great riverside walks, interesting architecture, etc. etc.
Good public transport including some very nice geriatric trams.
Travel ideas on 11:32 - Jul 12 with 6658 viewsusm

Cant go far wrong with Budapest - plenty of history, easy and cheap to get about/drink/eat/stay.

Or Prague, but if you think that may be a bit too staggy how about Bratislava?

FOYSC
Poll: Did Broad just get a hat trick without realising ?

Travel ideas on 11:33 - Jul 12 with 6649 viewsColin_Viljoen

Benidorm.......great for a break!
Login to get fewer ads

Travel ideas on 11:35 - Jul 12 with 6641 viewshype313

Travel ideas on 11:27 - Jul 12 by taximan

"nice but ultimately cheap"

is your lady not worth spending money on then ?

Or maybe he has a budget that he has to stick to?

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Travel ideas on 11:38 - Jul 12 with 6632 viewsMedwayTractor

Travel ideas on 11:28 - Jul 12 by No9

Lisbon.
Lovely city, great riverside walks, interesting architecture, etc. etc.
Good public transport including some very nice geriatric trams.

Agree with Lisbon. if you are interested in local music, find a Fado bar in the Old Town.

You could try Istanbul. Go for Sultanahmet, the old quarter where Ottoman era buildings have been converted into small/meduim sized hotels. All the best sites will be in walking distance - Topkapi Palace, the Blue Mosque, Hagia Sofia & the Grand Bazaar.

Blog: Who's Next Between the Sticks (Or Be Careful What You Wish For)?

Travel ideas on 11:40 - Jul 12 with 6616 viewsNo9

Travel ideas on 11:38 - Jul 12 by MedwayTractor

Agree with Lisbon. if you are interested in local music, find a Fado bar in the Old Town.

You could try Istanbul. Go for Sultanahmet, the old quarter where Ottoman era buildings have been converted into small/meduim sized hotels. All the best sites will be in walking distance - Topkapi Palace, the Blue Mosque, Hagia Sofia & the Grand Bazaar.

I went to Istanbul a few years ago & stayed ina small hotel near the blue mosque.
I am not so sure I would go there in the present (political) climate tho'
Travel ideas on 11:40 - Jul 12 with 6617 viewsLesta_Tractor

Florence is a bit cheaper than Rome, especially if you avoid the really touristy bits.

I've suggested it before but Bolsena is a great place to get away for a weekend, you need a car to get there though.

1:23:47, 38:26
Poll: What is more important to you?

Travel ideas on 11:41 - Jul 12 with 6612 viewsJakeITFC

Of those, Budapest meets your requirements best I'd say.

Very pretty, lots to do, warm in the summer and very cheap to stay and whilst you are there.

If it was me picking from those, I'd do Verona/Venice again in a heartbeat, but I love Italy. Venice is horrendous around the main touristy bits but stunning elsewhere, and Verona is like a mini-Rome.
Travel ideas on 11:42 - Jul 12 with 6605 viewsCurrie10

Cheap and romantic - Skegness Butlins. You won't regret it.

Semi serious sidenote - based on where you've been before - Krakow.

What did you make of Warsaw? I went for the Uefa cup final in 2015 and it was far worse than Krakow/ Poznan and Gdansk in my opinion.
Travel ideas on 11:43 - Jul 12 with 6598 viewsStokieBlue

Travel ideas on 11:40 - Jul 12 by Lesta_Tractor

Florence is a bit cheaper than Rome, especially if you avoid the really touristy bits.

I've suggested it before but Bolsena is a great place to get away for a weekend, you need a car to get there though.

It might be cheaper but I really dislike Florence (even been twice to give it a second chance).

Rome is far better.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Travel ideas on 11:44 - Jul 12 with 6593 viewsLesta_Tractor

Travel ideas on 11:43 - Jul 12 by StokieBlue

It might be cheaper but I really dislike Florence (even been twice to give it a second chance).

Rome is far better.

SB

I thought it was ok for a weekend, and I did enjoy going to see Fiorentina play.

1:23:47, 38:26
Poll: What is more important to you?

Travel ideas on 11:57 - Jul 12 with 6556 viewsNo9

Rome is far better.

SB

I have been to Florence (Firenza) many time and like it very much for a variety of reasons so I a interested to learn why & what you don't like about it.

I have not yet been to Rome I would like to go there via Turin but, by train
Travel ideas on 12:31 - Jul 12 with 6508 viewsfactual_blue

Ravello on the Amalfi coast

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Travel ideas on 12:35 - Jul 12 with 6503 viewsSwansea_Blue

Friends have just returned from Venice and loved it. They stayed only slightly off the beaten track and said it wasn't anywhere near as busy or touristy as they were expecting and could dip in and out of the main sites easily enough and find peace when they wanted it. I've never been, but it sounded good.

Vienna's nice
Or Madrid?
What about flying to Naples and going to Sorrento, Pompeii, Amalfi coast area - bit different from a City break?

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Travel ideas on 12:39 - Jul 12 with 6495 viewstaximan

i'm taking mrs taxi to seville in august,

and then to barcelona, cannes, rome, florence (i think), sardinia and finally gibraltar
Travel ideas on 13:13 - Jul 12 with 6447 viewsKing_of_Portman_Rd

I've booked my flights.. Was very tempted by Copenhagen. The flight costs are unbelievable and a trip into Malmo would have been incredible.

Plumped for a flight out to Budapest (£22) with 2 nights there, followed by a flight to Venice (£26) with another 3 nights there and then a return flight home (£20)

All together flights for around £80 each and just booked an apartment in central Budapest for £80 for the 2 nights, leaving me with plenty of spondoolicks to spend whilst I am there..

Some great ideas and I've added a couple to me 'to do' list as we're planning a few short trips in the next 12 months.
Travel ideas on 13:17 - Jul 12 with 6435 viewsStokieBlue

Travel ideas on 12:39 - Jul 12 by taximan

and then to barcelona, cannes, rome, florence (i think), sardinia and finally gibraltar

Seville is lovely and definitely good not to go during Semana Santa. Very, very, very hot in August though, be prepared for >40C if you've not been before.

Sounds like a great trip.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Travel ideas on 13:23 - Jul 12 with 6427 viewsitfcjoe

Obviously not Southern Europe, but the easiest 'romantic' break has to be the Eurostar to Paris.

Drive down to Ashford if you don't live in London, quick check in and you are bang in the centre of Paris within a couple of hours - especially handy if on a shorter break not having to mess around with airports both ways as that can eat up so much time.

Paris is great too, especially if you've not been properly for a few days before

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Travel ideas on 13:27 - Jul 12 with 6412 viewsBelvedereBrunswick

Rome is far better.

SB

Too much culture in Florence for you?

BB
Travel ideas on 13:28 - Jul 12 with 6410 viewsitfcjoe

Travel ideas on 12:39 - Jul 12 by taximan

Cruise?

I've got one booked for next year with missus and kid through Scandinavia to St petersburg

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024