Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Favourite rail journeys? 14:10 - Jul 20 with 16973 viewsunbelievablue

I'm talking specific journeys, rather than favourite routes.

I got the train from Vienna to Budapest and loved it. Yank birds opposite, £1 500ml local beers, free wifi, comfy seats, arid Hungarian wasteland, refugee nickings, the lot.

Le meilleur des mondes possibles
Poll: When booking a reservation at a restaurant/bar, do you give...

Favourite rail journeys? on 14:21 - Jul 20 with 9468 viewsPendejo

the tube to Wembley Stadium... not necessarily the ride or the scenary, but what it means

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Favourite rail journeys? on 14:24 - Jul 20 with 9453 viewsTHAILAND_BLUE

Went from Butterworth in Malaysia to Bangkok in November 2008. Although the journey time was 26 hrs I loved every minute of it. I was originally meant to be flying back but yellow shirt protesters had stormed the airport and shut it.
Favourite rail journeys? on 14:29 - Jul 20 with 9434 viewsclive_baker

Train across France during the Euros last summer was pretty memorable. I was pretty tanked up, loads of beers, 30 degrees outside but nice air con, thumping through the beautiful rural French countryside, England fans in great spirits, well behaved and loads of singing. The most memorable element was the train being pulled over at a station it wasn't meant to stop at by French police and a group of Russian hooligans who fortunately so far had kept their heads down getting hauled off rather heavy handedly. Needless to say the England fans took great delight (and relief) in that.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Favourite rail journeys? on 14:33 - Jul 20 with 9419 viewsEatonBlue

Welshpool to Llanfair
Favourite rail journeys? on 14:33 - Jul 20 with 9420 viewsWeWereZombies

Mangao to Hospet in India, includes a section where the train goes across a waterfall.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Favourite rail journeys? on 14:34 - Jul 20 with 9416 viewsTIB

Did Boston to NYC along coast last summer which was nice. Got 20hrs from Northern Norway down to Stockholm via Lapland in a few weeks.

Poll: How much did you actually think Mick would spend in January?

Favourite rail journeys? on 14:39 - Jul 20 with 9388 viewsclive_baker

I have a memorable coach journey. Went from Riga, Latvia to Tallin, Estonia with a few friends on a bit of a European tour one summer holidays between years at Uni. There were 5 of us and because I boarded last I was stitched up with sitting on my own as they paired off into 2 2's. I had the last laugh however when a few minutes later the coach filled up and an outrageously attractive Estonian girl sat next to me. Chatted about all sorts for the 5 hour journey, got on famously and ended up swapping contact details. She had a boyfriend at the time but contacted me about 6 months later saying she was recently single and keen to explore the UK. She stayed with me in Durham for a few nights and I ended up seeing her quite a few times afterwards. Still friends on FB I think.

Wonderful ride.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Favourite rail journeys? on 14:40 - Jul 20 with 9384 viewsFixed_It

Favourite rail journeys? on 14:21 - Jul 20 by Pendejo

the tube to Wembley Stadium... not necessarily the ride or the scenary, but what it means

You're going to watch someone other than Ipswich in a Cup Final?

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Login to get fewer ads

Favourite rail journeys? on 14:44 - Jul 20 with 9357 viewsKing_of_Portman_Rd

Favourite rail journeys? on 14:39 - Jul 20 by clive_baker

I have a memorable coach journey. Went from Riga, Latvia to Tallin, Estonia with a few friends on a bit of a European tour one summer holidays between years at Uni. There were 5 of us and because I boarded last I was stitched up with sitting on my own as they paired off into 2 2's. I had the last laugh however when a few minutes later the coach filled up and an outrageously attractive Estonian girl sat next to me. Chatted about all sorts for the 5 hour journey, got on famously and ended up swapping contact details. She had a boyfriend at the time but contacted me about 6 months later saying she was recently single and keen to explore the UK. She stayed with me in Durham for a few nights and I ended up seeing her quite a few times afterwards. Still friends on FB I think.

Wonderful ride.

I nearly did that route, but headed south from Riga to Warsaw., via Vilnius. The buses were pretty luxurious for the first part of the journey, the bus from Vilnius to Warsaw however was less so with screaming kids kicking the back of my chair for an 11 hour bus journey.

The sleeper train from Warsaw to Amsterdam was good though and was very impressed with how efficient and cost effective travel can be in central Europe.
Favourite rail journeys? on 14:48 - Jul 20 with 9337 viewsPendejo

Favourite rail journeys? on 14:40 - Jul 20 by Fixed_It

You're going to watch someone other than Ipswich in a Cup Final?

Maybe one day it'll be to watch Ipswich... but whether it is concert, England or a Play Off Final Wembley is special

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Favourite rail journeys? on 14:55 - Jul 20 with 9303 viewsStokieBlue

Olso to Bergen was excellent. Cheap first class tickets, stunning scenery and very relaxing.

Machu Picchu to Ollantaytambo was rather nice but might have been nicer because I wasn't walking anymore.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Favourite rail journeys? on 14:55 - Jul 20 with 9304 viewsFixed_It

Favourite rail journeys? on 14:48 - Jul 20 by Pendejo

Maybe one day it'll be to watch Ipswich... but whether it is concert, England or a Play Off Final Wembley is special

I vowed when the 'new' Wembley opened that My first visit would be to see Town play. That was a long time ago...

I relented and went on a stadium tour a couple of years ago as I figured that didn't count!!!!

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Favourite rail journeys? on 14:56 - Jul 20 with 9298 viewsReuser_is_God

Ipswich to Peterborough

Said no one ever.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Favourite rail journeys? on 15:05 - Jul 20 with 9272 viewsRyorry

On Sunday, was lucky enough to take The Flying Scotsman along the Settle to Carlisle line and back, incorporating the renowned Ribblehead Viaduct.

Magnificent. Everything. Machine, line, weather, scenery - Yorkshire Dales and Pendle Hill (Lancs) on one side, and the Lake District/Cumbrian fells on t'other. Whernside, Ingleborough and Pen Y Ghent like great green-grey whales leaping skywards.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Favourite rail journeys? on 15:16 - Jul 20 with 9246 viewsITFC_Forever

London Paddington to Cornwall.

Loads of scenic countryside, barges on the canals, white horse on the hills, then when you get to south Devon, the coastline stretch along the seawall at Dawlish and on over the Tamar Bridge, one of Brunel's masterpieces.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Favourite rail journeys? on 15:23 - Jul 20 with 9229 viewsTractorWood

Tram up Victoria peak in Hong Kong

Wengen up to Kleine Scheidegg in Switzerland with the Monch, Jungfrau and Eiger towering over you is amazing.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Favourite rail journeys? on 15:26 - Jul 20 with 9218 viewsStokieBlue

Favourite rail journeys? on 15:23 - Jul 20 by TractorWood

Tram up Victoria peak in Hong Kong

Wengen up to Kleine Scheidegg in Switzerland with the Monch, Jungfrau and Eiger towering over you is amazing.

Good call on Victoria Peak.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Favourite rail journeys? on 15:34 - Jul 20 with 9203 viewsitfcjoe

I got the train from London to Istanbul with Mrs itfcjoe a few years back and parts of that route are memorable for different reasons.

I'd probably say Vienna to Budapest was the best part - a relatively short trip, not having to sleep on the train, temperate conditions and we'd loved Vienna so were sad to be leaving but excited about the next part of trip - I also had a cracking piece of cold schnitzel that I'd bought earlier in the day and a few beers.

Bucharest to Istanbul was probably the worst rail journey I've had on that same trip....

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Favourite rail journeys? on 15:36 - Jul 20 with 9195 viewsitfcjoe

Favourite rail journeys? on 14:39 - Jul 20 by clive_baker

Wonderful ride.

Similar happened to us on a flight to the US, except my mate who's ticket was split up for some reason ended up next to a fat, nervous Rabbi who went on at him for the whole flight as we took turns to walk past him laughing

Favourite rail journeys? on 15:50 - Jul 20 with 9169 viewsvilanovablue

Favourite rail journeys? on 15:05 - Jul 20 by Ryorry

On Sunday, was lucky enough to take The Flying Scotsman along the Settle to Carlisle line and back, incorporating the renowned Ribblehead Viaduct.

Magnificent. Everything. Machine, line, weather, scenery - Yorkshire Dales and Pendle Hill (Lancs) on one side, and the Lake District/Cumbrian fells on t'other. Whernside, Ingleborough and Pen Y Ghent like great green-grey whales leaping skywards.

You are very lucky, definitely on my bucket list (not even the Flying Scotsman bit)! I stood under the Ribblehead Viaduct on a field trip many moons ago what an amazing bit of engineering!
Favourite rail journeys? on 16:04 - Jul 20 with 9147 viewsMeenoITFC

Kings Cross back to Stevenage after a long intense night/morning at Fabric Nightclub

Poll: Is Jonny Williams worth signing

Favourite rail journeys? on 16:08 - Jul 20 with 9141 viewsRyorry

Favourite rail journeys? on 15:50 - Jul 20 by vilanovablue

You are very lucky, definitely on my bucket list (not even the Flying Scotsman bit)! I stood under the Ribblehead Viaduct on a field trip many moons ago what an amazing bit of engineering!

Flying Scotsman runs York-Carlisle (with pick-up points along the way) every summer Sunday now, early booking essential!!

Ribblehead Viaduct certainly amazing, had visited it before on the ground. On the train on Sunday, said it took a whole 4 years to build. Well that seems bloody quick to me when you look at it & considering they didn't have modern power equipment back then! Will be going back there to see the engine cross it from below one Sunday soon, as that would certainly be an iconic view. What was surprising was how smooth the ride was - combi of Pullman coaches and modern railtracks. Glass of water on table didn't move.

The engine itself was really surprising to me - not as big as I'd imagined, just very long, low and streamlined - which I should have guessed of course - with absolutely massive drive wheels - 6'8" diameter. Myself and a few others were allowed up into the cab at one water stop - the firepit is absolutely enormous - gaping jaws of hell! and the temp so hot that the coal lumps were just semi-dissolved blobs of varing shades from red-white.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Favourite rail journeys? on 16:14 - Jul 20 with 9113 viewsblue_oyster

Any one that Michael Portillo isn't on.

Conventional wisdom is the enemy of thought.
Poll: Who is the most hated contributor to this site?

Favourite rail journeys? on 16:23 - Jul 20 with 9091 viewsSarge

Overnight train from Kraków to Budapest. Tiny cabin with triple bunks each side. Two beautiful French girls in the bunks opposite me. Wake up the next morning in a new city, no hassle, no customs just head off and explore.
Favourite rail journeys? on 16:31 - Jul 20 with 9062 viewsitfcjoe

Favourite rail journeys? on 16:08 - Jul 20 by Ryorry

Flying Scotsman runs York-Carlisle (with pick-up points along the way) every summer Sunday now, early booking essential!!

Ribblehead Viaduct certainly amazing, had visited it before on the ground. On the train on Sunday, said it took a whole 4 years to build. Well that seems bloody quick to me when you look at it & considering they didn't have modern power equipment back then! Will be going back there to see the engine cross it from below one Sunday soon, as that would certainly be an iconic view. What was surprising was how smooth the ride was - combi of Pullman coaches and modern railtracks. Glass of water on table didn't move.

The engine itself was really surprising to me - not as big as I'd imagined, just very long, low and streamlined - which I should have guessed of course - with absolutely massive drive wheels - 6'8" diameter. Myself and a few others were allowed up into the cab at one water stop - the firepit is absolutely enormous - gaping jaws of hell! and the temp so hot that the coal lumps were just semi-dissolved blobs of varing shades from red-white.

I looked at that when I was up there but didn't really work out geographically and time wise so we did Bolton Abbey to Embsay which was good fun and more manageable for a 6 month old!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024