Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Britons living in Europe could lose right to live in another EU country 16:23 - Jul 20 with 14535 viewsElderGrizzly

We're not very good at this negotiating thing are we?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jul/20/britons-living-in-europe-could-
Britons living in Europe could lose right to live in another EU country on 17:14 - Jul 20 with 5504 viewsStokieBlue

Britons living in Europe could lose right to live in another EU country on 17:05 - Jul 20 by J2BLUE

I assume we'd retain rebates and opt outs. I know several of them have said otherwise. Hard to know what to believe at this point.

If we would lose rebates and opt out and the public were fully informed we'd be remaining a block with the end goal for a United States of Europe then I think leave would win another referendum easily. I'm sure that won't be the case though.

I think the EU have said that once article 50 was triggered it invalidated the UK's special conditions and that if we wanted to rejoin or change our mind we wouldn't get the rebate and we would have to accept the EUR as our currency.

Once article 50 was triggered it was always downhill stay or go.

Happy to be corrected though.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Britons living in Europe could lose right to live in another EU country on 17:19 - Jul 20 with 5494 viewsJ2BLUE

Britons living in Europe could lose right to live in another EU country on 17:14 - Jul 20 by StokieBlue

I think the EU have said that once article 50 was triggered it invalidated the UK's special conditions and that if we wanted to rejoin or change our mind we wouldn't get the rebate and we would have to accept the EUR as our currency.

SB

Fair enough. My job would come to a rapid end if that happened.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Britons living in Europe could lose right to live in another EU country on 17:20 - Jul 20 with 5492 viewsusm

Of course they could, but its extremely unlikely unless they are living there illegally.

FOYSC
Poll: Did Broad just get a hat trick without realising ?

Britons living in Europe could lose right to live in another EU country on 17:22 - Jul 20 with 5485 viewsLuk38644

Britons living in Europe could lose right to live in another EU country on 16:37 - Jul 20 by J2BLUE

I think it's going to fall apart and we'll stay. It's just a question of how long it takes.

I have disagree mate, people wouldn't just accept it, they would be even more determined to leave.

On the point of the OT, I don't see why the UK and EU can't just say 'we both agree to guarantee that EU nationals already in the UK can stay with UK passports and UK nationals in the EU can stay with EU passports'. It shouldn't be used as a bargaining chip and to be fair to the government, they did offer that to the EU pre-negotiations but they turned it down.
Britons living in Europe could lose right to live in another EU country on 17:22 - Jul 20 with 5485 viewsSteve_M

Britons living in Europe could lose right to live in another EU country on 17:09 - Jul 20 by J2BLUE

Disagree. I don't see the link between voting to leave and not being a serious and mature democracy. I think some remainers are all too willing to accept the story that the racist idiotic majority voted down the progressive intelligent enlightened people.

It's not the vote to leave as much as the appallingly dishonest referendum campaign (both sides) and the utter incompetence of the 13 months since.

Politicians who seem to neither know nor care which sections of the economy are currently utterly reliant on access the single market and customs union or what the consequences of leaving both abruptly might be. Fox and Johnson are still pretending we lose nothing and get some wondrous future for no cost.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Britons living in Europe could lose right to live in another EU country on 17:24 - Jul 20 with 5478 viewsSteve_M

Britons living in Europe could lose right to live in another EU country on 17:14 - Jul 20 by StokieBlue

SB

I think that depends on political will amongst European leaders; whilst the EU is a political construct real decision making is at the governmental level.

We'll almost certainly only be able to stay on worse terms than previously but the UK's budget contribution will remain a major incentive should we decide we want to rethink.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Britons living in Europe could lose right to live in another EU country on 17:25 - Jul 20 with 5476 viewsLuk38644

Britons living in Europe could lose right to live in another EU country on 16:38 - Jul 20 by factual_blue

And we are of course cozying up to the Turks for a quick trade deal. And of course people will be outraged when the Turks want freedom of movement of part of the deal.....

As will the Indians, the Brazilians and all the rest.

NAFTA is a huge free-trade agreement that doesn't have free movement of people. Most trade deals all over the world don't involve free movement. It isn't essential.
Britons living in Europe could lose right to live in another EU country on 17:26 - Jul 20 with 5474 viewsgiant_stow

Britons living in Europe could lose right to live in another EU country on 17:09 - Jul 20 by J2BLUE

Disagree. I don't see the link between voting to leave and not being a serious and mature democracy. I think some remainers are all too willing to accept the story that the racist idiotic majority voted down the progressive intelligent enlightened people.

must.... resist....

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Login to get fewer ads

Britons living in Europe could lose right to live in another EU country on 17:27 - Jul 20 with 5473 viewsJ2BLUE

Britons living in Europe could lose right to live in another EU country on 17:26 - Jul 20 by giant_stow

must.... resist....

Feel free. If you don't, Facters will.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Britons living in Europe could lose right to live in another EU country on 17:28 - Jul 20 with 5462 viewsBenters

Britons living in Europe could lose right to live in another EU country on 16:33 - Jul 20 by factual_blue

So long as they send all the vest-wearing, sunburnt knuckleheads from Benidorm to their spiritual home, a largeish village green near Colchester.

Thank you and good night.

btyf

Gentlybentley
Poll: Simple poll plane banner over Norwich

Britons living in Europe could lose right to live in another EU country on 17:33 - Jul 20 with 5453 viewsStokieBlue

Britons living in Europe could lose right to live in another EU country on 17:24 - Jul 20 by Steve_M

I think that depends on political will amongst European leaders; whilst the EU is a political construct real decision making is at the governmental level.

We'll almost certainly only be able to stay on worse terms than previously but the UK's budget contribution will remain a major incentive should we decide we want to rethink.

I do agree but the EU is also about perception.

If the allowed the UK to stay with GBP then that sends out a signal that the rules for "joining" the EU are flexible, something they have worked hard to deny since the UK got it's flexibility.

They have a lot to lose if they let us back with anything other than the terms that all the other members have.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Britons living in Europe could lose right to live in another EU country on 17:44 - Jul 20 with 5442 viewsclive_baker

Brexit speculation bored the crap out of me. I suspect after all is said and done the exit will be softer than Kevin Bru in a 50/50. We'll leave the free market with some favourable other incentive on which to trade, at which point we'll announce a trade deal with US in a desperate attempt to buoy sentiment. Free migration will cease with some sort of mutually beneficial net migration cap quota and life will go on with feck all notable impact to our daily lives.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Britons living in Europe could lose right to live in another EU country on 18:18 - Jul 20 with 5417 viewsLordsnooty

Britons living in Europe could lose right to live in another EU country on 16:41 - Jul 20 by ThePitBoss

Thicky Davis. In charge of the most important negotiations in a generation. Possible next prime minister.

Factual Blue. Empty days on TWTD talking to himself.

I'm beginning to understand where your bitterness comes from.

I think Facters has pointed out more than once he was at school with David Davis, so he may well have a point.

Were you ever at school?
Britons living in Europe could lose right to live in another EU country on 18:22 - Jul 20 with 5407 viewsGlasgowBlue

Britons living in Europe could lose right to live in another EU country on 18:18 - Jul 20 by Lordsnooty

I think Facters has pointed out more than once he was at school with David Davis, so he may well have a point.

Were you ever at school?

Sock Puppet alert.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Britons living in Europe could lose right to live in another EU country on 18:25 - Jul 20 with 5401 viewsThePitBoss

Britons living in Europe could lose right to live in another EU country on 18:18 - Jul 20 by Lordsnooty

Were you ever at school?

Factual Blue using his other login again. Hahaha haha.

Don't forget to up vote your own posts (again).
Britons living in Europe could lose right to live in another EU country on 18:44 - Jul 20 with 5370 viewsSwansea_Blue

Britons living in Europe could lose right to live in another EU country on 17:25 - Jul 20 by Luk38644

NAFTA is a huge free-trade agreement that doesn't have free movement of people. Most trade deals all over the world don't involve free movement. It isn't essential.

Maybe not, but it's been feature of discussions so far with other countries. The Indians wanted it and I think the Australians too.

This is a mess. In principle I like the idea of reciprocal arrangements, except that creates two-tier society for UK people. Those of us already overseas get the benefits of ease of movement whilst the rest of us wouldn't. Hardly fair. And adds more complication/cost to monitoring it.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Britons living in Europe could lose right to live in another EU country on 18:52 - Jul 20 with 5361 viewsGlasgowBlue

Britons living in Europe could lose right to live in another EU country on 17:25 - Jul 20 by Luk38644

The Single Market isn’t a free trade area at all, it’s a customs union. NAFTA, EFTA and ASEAN are Free Trade areas.

The difference between a member of a free trade area and a customs union is that a member of a free trade area can sign bilateral free-trade agreements with other countries whereas a customs union like the single market conducts all trade talks on behalf of its member nations.

Lord Snooty knows this of course.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Britons living in Europe could lose right to live in another EU country on 18:57 - Jul 20 with 5349 viewstiptreeblue

Britons living in Europe could lose right to live in another EU country on 16:48 - Jul 20 by factual_blue

I sadly suspect most people thought they were voting for a return to 1895 and The Glorious (sic) British Empire with the ethos of 'Wave the Flag and Flog the W.og'

You really can be an arrogant person some times, can`t you?. you think you know everything about everybody and this has really got my goat you imbecile.
Britons living in Europe could lose right to live in another EU country on 18:59 - Jul 20 with 5330 viewsjeera

Britons living in Europe could lose right to live in another EU country on 18:25 - Jul 20 by ThePitBoss

Factual Blue using his other login again. Hahaha haha.

Don't forget to up vote your own posts (again).

You're not so forthcoming with your own alias of course.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Britons living in Europe could lose right to live in another EU country on 19:19 - Jul 20 with 5300 viewsfactual_blue

Britons living in Europe could lose right to live in another EU country on 18:57 - Jul 20 by tiptreeblue

You really can be an arrogant person some times, can`t you?. you think you know everything about everybody and this has really got my goat you imbecile.

Calm down dear.

It's only an opinion.

Although, obviously, a correct one.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Britons living in Europe could lose right to live in another EU country on 19:24 - Jul 20 with 5294 viewsfactual_blue

Britons living in Europe could lose right to live in another EU country on 17:27 - Jul 20 by J2BLUE

Feel free. If you don't, Facters will.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Britons living in Europe could lose right to live in another EU country on 21:22 - Jul 20 with 5262 viewsPinewoodblue

Britons living in Europe could lose right to live in another EU country on 17:22 - Jul 20 by Steve_M

It's not the vote to leave as much as the appallingly dishonest referendum campaign (both sides) and the utter incompetence of the 13 months since.

Politicians who seem to neither know nor care which sections of the economy are currently utterly reliant on access the single market and customs union or what the consequences of leaving both abruptly might be. Fox and Johnson are still pretending we lose nothing and get some wondrous future for no cost.

You forgot the pathetic negotiations by Cameron & Co pre referendum. Had he secured improved terms of membership of the EU the referendum result would have been different.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Britons living in Europe could lose right to live in another EU country on 21:29 - Jul 20 with 5245 viewsblue_oyster

Britons living in Europe could lose right to live in another EU country on 18:57 - Jul 20 by tiptreeblue

Ironically the attitude of the arrogant left, which he seems to represent, is one of the main reasons why people voted to leave the EU.

Conventional wisdom is the enemy of thought.
Poll: Who is the most hated contributor to this site?

Britons living in Europe could lose right to live in another EU country on 22:22 - Jul 20 with 5212 viewsTractorWood

Haven't read the guardian link. Basically Brexit is a massive, unnecessary distraction from what we need economically, which I think is a prolonged period of stability.

Europe is our biggest trading partner, most likely holiday destination and closest ally. To spend the next year passive aggressively negotiating the exact substance of what we already have veiled as some swashbuckling sovereignty is the most pointless, bureaucratic exercise in history.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

on 23:32 - Jul 20 with 5189 views_

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024