Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
People supporting the old dinosaur 15:56 - Aug 1 with 17734 viewsblueblood66

are part of the problem, have you no ambition for the club to at least be liked again? To be peoples 'other team' like we were for years because of the way we used to play football, come hell or highwater? I guess a lot of you are not old enough to remember this but its how it was even up and including Jims time. I never thought I would see the day when Brentford were the benchmark for a good mid table football team, playing with expression and a try and win attitude. Until he is gone, we are doomed to pragmatism and a 'dont lose' mentality, he will never change, ever. Sadly me an thousands of others wont truly feel the love again until he is gone and we have a football manager once again, someone who prefers technical ability and expression over defensive self preservation.
People supporting the old dinosaur on 15:59 - Aug 1 with 12777 viewsMullet

Oh do pipe down with all this pseudo-emotive excuse making.

No one fooking likes Brentford either since they went all Brighton over everything, including Hyam trying to tackle one of them.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

People supporting the old dinosaur on 16:05 - Aug 1 with 12749 viewsEireannach_gorm

Maybe if we sign some players of technical ability your vision may come to pass.
People supporting the old dinosaur on 16:06 - Aug 1 with 12754 viewsSteve_M

Look, we would all like to be a lot better. It was only two years ago we had a good season but we're acutely aware that it is only one of two in the last twelve. Last season was crap however anyone wants to dress it up, too few matches will live on in the memory.

The failure of you and many others to take any account of how this division has changed - parachute payments and a handful of clubs just chucking millions at any half-decent player) leave us uncompetitive. It's not really Marcus Evans fault that he doesn't want to compete with that.

You mention Brentford, yet they have a clear approach as a club making rational decisions, even if controversial - i.e. scrapping their youth system - and have coupled that with a good scouting network. There is none of that direction at Ipswich and that clearly is Evans' fault.

So without considering that, then McCarthy for his many faults, is only part of the problem here. His real success is dragging the cycle out to five years rather than the 18 months or so his two hapless predecessors managed. Personally I think last Summer was the right time for a change of manager but it didn't happen so I'm not going to go into a season desperately hoping for the manager to be sacked - that would make me a massive div.
[Post edited 1 Aug 2017 16:24]

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

People supporting the old dinosaur on 16:09 - Aug 1 with 12713 viewsSuperfrans

Oh do get lost.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

People supporting the old dinosaur on 16:10 - Aug 1 with 12708 viewsTCisdynamite

somebody bored on lunch break
People supporting the old dinosaur on 16:18 - Aug 1 with 12676 viewsRadlett_blue

People supporting the old dinosaur on 16:06 - Aug 1 by Steve_M

Look, we would all like to be a lot better. It was only two years ago we had a good season but we're acutely aware that it is only one of two in the last twelve. Last season was crap however anyone wants to dress it up, too few matches will live on in the memory.

The failure of you and many others to take any account of how this division has changed - parachute payments and a handful of clubs just chucking millions at any half-decent player) leave us uncompetitive. It's not really Marcus Evans fault that he doesn't want to compete with that.

You mention Brentford, yet they have a clear approach as a club making rational decisions, even if controversial - i.e. scrapping their youth system - and have coupled that with a good scouting network. There is none of that direction at Ipswich and that clearly is Evans' fault.

So without considering that, then McCarthy for his many faults, is only part of the problem here. His real success is dragging the cycle out to five years rather than the 18 months or so his two hapless predecessors managed. Personally I think last Summer was the right time for a change of manager but it didn't happen so I'm not going to go into a season desperately hoping for the manager to be sacked - that would make me a massive div.

Some very good points there Steve.
Yes, the goalposts have been moved & Evans (reasonably, IMO) isn't going to spend £14m on a striker. He does seem to realise that we need to up the budget if we're going to be vaguely competitive in this league - witness the signing of Huws (whom I though we couldn't afford), Garner & Adeymi, rather than filling out the squad with cast-offs like Coke & Best.
However, the football has been pretty poor now for two and a half years & while I was cautiously optimistic about this season, the shellacking at Charlton (plus Mick seeming to favour Knudsen over Kenlock) has me worried Mick will quickly batten down the hatches if we have a couple of poor results.
I agree we should have made a change a year ago. Now is completely the wrong time, even if we start the season badly, which may happen, with injuries & new players to gel into a team.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

People supporting the old dinosaur on 16:31 - Aug 1 with 12638 viewswkj

Im not fond of Mick, im not fond of Evans, and I am certainly not fond of where were are at as a club- but... it is a new season, it is a new start. Dragging last season's negativity into this season makes us as big a dinosaur as anyone else. If mick gets off to a poor start and our season goes the way of the last or worse, then I will moan my tits off with the best of em, but for now, I wish mick the best and hope he and the club learn from last year.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

People supporting the old dinosaur on 16:46 - Aug 1 with 12571 viewsSteve_M

People supporting the old dinosaur on 16:18 - Aug 1 by Radlett_blue

Some very good points there Steve.
Yes, the goalposts have been moved & Evans (reasonably, IMO) isn't going to spend £14m on a striker. He does seem to realise that we need to up the budget if we're going to be vaguely competitive in this league - witness the signing of Huws (whom I though we couldn't afford), Garner & Adeymi, rather than filling out the squad with cast-offs like Coke & Best.
However, the football has been pretty poor now for two and a half years & while I was cautiously optimistic about this season, the shellacking at Charlton (plus Mick seeming to favour Knudsen over Kenlock) has me worried Mick will quickly batten down the hatches if we have a couple of poor results.
I agree we should have made a change a year ago. Now is completely the wrong time, even if we start the season badly, which may happen, with injuries & new players to gel into a team.

I think it's as much that we've not had a clear pattern of play since the end of the 2014-15 season as the quality of football per se.

We had the brief flirtation with passing football in August 15 and last season's good spell in February, even last August right up until we sold Murphy, but otherwise it's been a mess more often than not. Without a clear setup and approach it's no wonder we've struggled both as a team and individually.

I think we will at least start tying to play football, but we rarely seem to know what to do with the ball when we get to the final third: too much over-elaboration, and too little directness in play.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Login to get fewer ads

People supporting the old dinosaur on 16:57 - Aug 1 with 12541 viewsSWGF

People supporting the old dinosaur on 16:46 - Aug 1 by Steve_M

I think it's as much that we've not had a clear pattern of play since the end of the 2014-15 season as the quality of football per se.

We had the brief flirtation with passing football in August 15 and last season's good spell in February, even last August right up until we sold Murphy, but otherwise it's been a mess more often than not. Without a clear setup and approach it's no wonder we've struggled both as a team and individually.

I think we will at least start tying to play football, but we rarely seem to know what to do with the ball when we get to the final third: too much over-elaboration, and too little directness in play.

Problem is we're not incisive /quick enough with the ball at our feet to play passing football with any success. Any professional team should be able to keep the ball in your own half. It's if/when it gets into the opponent's final third that it matters. That's why Dozzell stood out on Saturday because it looked like he could do it and had the technique to back it up.
[Post edited 1 Aug 2017 17:01]

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

People supporting the old dinosaur on 17:11 - Aug 1 with 12503 viewsRadlett_blue

People supporting the old dinosaur on 16:57 - Aug 1 by SWGF

Problem is we're not incisive /quick enough with the ball at our feet to play passing football with any success. Any professional team should be able to keep the ball in your own half. It's if/when it gets into the opponent's final third that it matters. That's why Dozzell stood out on Saturday because it looked like he could do it and had the technique to back it up.
[Post edited 1 Aug 2017 17:01]

Yes, but there's a world of difference between looking good in a friendly at Charlton when the game's done & dusted & starting against Brum in the league. Especially if accompanied by the pedestrian Skuse. If we're going to try to play passing football, the whole XI has to be set up for it e.g. play Kenlock, not Knudsen.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

People supporting the old dinosaur on 10:07 - Aug 2 with 12296 viewsSwn98

People supporting the old dinosaur on 16:06 - Aug 1 by Steve_M

Good reply.
People supporting the old dinosaur on 13:24 - Aug 2 with 12204 viewsLeoMuff

Look, jim failed, Roy failed, Paul failed, now Mick is failing, you really think the problem is MM ?

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

People supporting the old dinosaur on 13:29 - Aug 2 with 12182 viewsKing_ding_a_lin_g

People supporting the old dinosaur on 13:24 - Aug 2 by LeoMuff

Look, jim failed, Roy failed, Paul failed, now Mick is failing, you really think the problem is MM ?

Jim didn't fail. The boo boys saw millions coming in and thought we were going to be the next Man City.

The boo boys failed.
People supporting the old dinosaur on 13:52 - Aug 2 with 12149 viewschambosleftboot

I do agree with alot of what you say OP. Unfortunately some of the responses on here speak for themselves.

Enough people are happy, or not angry enough to do anything about, having MM in charge. And if that's the case for the foreseeable future then we're gonna have to get used to being at the bottom of this league, or in League One, whilst Norwich end up further and further ahead of us. Again.
People supporting the old dinosaur on 13:56 - Aug 2 with 12137 viewsMaySixth

blueblood66

People on here
at 18:10 28 Jul 2016

some constantly slagging off the club looking for negatives, get a life.
[Post edited 2 Aug 2017 13:59]

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

People supporting the old dinosaur on 14:03 - Aug 2 with 12095 viewsArcher4721

So you want to go back to the times of attacking football under Jewell where we were getting beat conceding 5,6 and 7 goals every other week and rooted at the bottom of the league.

Happy days!
People supporting the old dinosaur on 15:30 - Aug 2 with 12003 viewschambosleftboot

People supporting the old dinosaur on 14:03 - Aug 2 by Archer4721

So you want to go back to the times of attacking football under Jewell where we were getting beat conceding 5,6 and 7 goals every other week and rooted at the bottom of the league.

Happy days!

I don't think playing passing football with a bit more attacking intent should result in us conceding 5 goals every other week. IF it does we deserve to be relegated anyway.
People supporting the old dinosaur on 16:27 - Aug 2 with 11951 viewshoofer

Deep down I think what you say is true.
People supporting the old dinosaur on 20:06 - Aug 2 with 11869 viewsLeoMuff

People supporting the old dinosaur on 15:30 - Aug 2 by chambosleftboot

I don't think playing passing football with a bit more attacking intent should result in us conceding 5 goals every other week. IF it does we deserve to be relegated anyway.

You do realise we don't pay in the same league as almost everyone in the championship , right ?

That means finding players for £500k that will pass us out of the championship is tricky, with our budget we probably should be relegated

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

People supporting the old dinosaur on 23:06 - Aug 2 with 11791 viewsdickie

And who, pray tell, do you propose we hire?
People supporting the old dinosaur on 06:46 - Aug 3 with 11699 viewsblueislander

People supporting the old dinosaur on 20:06 - Aug 2 by LeoMuff

You do realise we don't pay in the same league as almost everyone in the championship , right ?

That means finding players for £500k that will pass us out of the championship is tricky, with our budget we probably should be relegated

I think you will find that our wage bill was pretty well on average for the Championship. But that does include rather a lot of dead wood .
People supporting the old dinosaur on 06:56 - Aug 3 with 11681 viewsBenters

I agree with what you say,loads havent, but you are entitled to your opinion.

Gentlybentley
Poll: Simple poll plane banner over Norwich

People supporting the old dinosaur on 07:41 - Aug 3 with 11635 viewsdickie

People supporting the old dinosaur on 06:56 - Aug 3 by Benters

Who is the alternative manager?
People supporting the old dinosaur on 07:46 - Aug 3 with 11617 viewsBenters

People supporting the old dinosaur on 07:41 - Aug 3 by dickie

Who is the alternative manager?

So thats it is it? we just stay with MM as i dont know who else would do the job?

Gentlybentley
Poll: Simple poll plane banner over Norwich

People supporting the old dinosaur on 07:46 - Aug 3 with 11621 viewsHerbivore

People supporting the old dinosaur on 06:56 - Aug 3 by Benters

Nah, the problem is the stay away fans starving the club of much needed revenue that could be reinvested in better players.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024