Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Stupid London skyscraper question 16:50 - Aug 17 with 12297 viewsLord_Lucan

Most of the buildings have fantastically apt nicknames and it got me wondering.

Were the buildings made with a Gherkin, Can of Ham, Helter Skelter, Walkie Talkie etc in mind when they were designed or do some clever sods just stand there and think "Oh that looks like a Cheese grater"?

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Stupid London skyscraper question on 16:52 - Aug 17 with 4850 viewsblue_oyster

Only the Gherkin looks like it went through any sort of design process. The others look like they were knocked up in five minutes by a sixth-former.

Conventional wisdom is the enemy of thought.
Poll: Who is the most hated contributor to this site?

Stupid London skyscraper question on 16:54 - Aug 17 with 4833 viewsyorkshireblue

http://www.cityam.com/265210/make-your-skyscraper-shard-before-public-turn-into-
Stupid London skyscraper question on 16:54 - Aug 17 with 4828 viewssolemio

The Gherkin seems to be a slightly smaller version of a building in Barcelona.
Stupid London skyscraper question on 16:55 - Aug 17 with 4824 viewsStokieBlue

Stupid London skyscraper question on 16:52 - Aug 17 by blue_oyster

Only the Gherkin looks like it went through any sort of design process. The others look like they were knocked up in five minutes by a sixth-former.

The cheesegrater is a lovely building.

SB

Avatar - M51 - The Whirlpool Galaxy - Taken on 29th April 2024

Stupid London skyscraper question on 16:57 - Aug 17 with 4810 viewsvapour_trail

Stupid London skyscraper question on 16:55 - Aug 17 by StokieBlue

SB

Do not feed etc etc

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Stupid London skyscraper question on 16:57 - Aug 17 with 4805 viewsvapour_trail

The can of ham??

Stupid London skyscraper question on 17:01 - Aug 17 with 4793 viewsLord_Lucan

Stupid London skyscraper question on 16:57 - Aug 17 by vapour_trail

The can of ham??

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Stupid London skyscraper question on 17:06 - Aug 17 with 4770 viewsLord_Lucan

Stupid London skyscraper question on 16:55 - Aug 17 by StokieBlue

SB

I think they are all fantastic. I really love The Walkie Talkie and although I still don't know the answer to my question I think the fact that these buildings have such apt nicknames really puts London into a league of it's own.

I've been to NYC, LA, Bangkok etc but for me London buildings just simply stand apart. London is really a fantastic city, it's just a shame no one can afford to live there.

Login to get fewer ads

Stupid London skyscraper question on 17:06 - Aug 17 with 4763 viewsblue_oyster

Stupid London skyscraper question on 17:01 - Aug 17 by Lord_Lucan

A beautiful image of everything that's wrong with the world.

Stupid London skyscraper question on 17:06 - Aug 17 with 4759 viewsvapour_trail

Ha, I had missed that. That is apt.

Principal tower in the background is going up outside my window along with another one that they're still working at ground level on. It's fascinating to watch. We have lost a lot of productivity from people staring out the window at a pair of building sites.

Stupid London skyscraper question on 17:08 - Aug 17 with 4746 viewsfactual_blue

The Mayor's office has an official list of names for buildings. You chose a name from that list and build it.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Stupid London skyscraper question on 17:39 - Aug 17 with 4694 viewsglasso

A mate of mine used to work at the architects that designed the new residential tower, One Blackfriars. He said the main guy there literally got bought a vase, thought 'that's a cool shape' and designed a building around it. I can't find the picture of the vase now, but it's online somewhere and it's *exactly* the same.

So it's not completely out of the question that they were designed around those shapes - One Blackfriar's is already unofficially being called 'The Vase'
Stupid London skyscraper question on 17:54 - Aug 17 with 4644 viewsBlueinBrum

Stupid London skyscraper question on 17:06 - Aug 17 by Lord_Lucan

I think they are all fantastic. I really love The Walkie Talkie and although I still don't know the answer to my question I think the fact that these buildings have such apt nicknames really puts London into a league of it's own.

I've been to NYC, LA, Bangkok etc but for me London buildings just simply stand apart. London is really a fantastic city, it's just a shame no one can afford to live there.

One can afford to live here. Sort of.

We've done this a lot of times on this forum but it depends on your industry init. If you work in a London-centric industry then it's worth the outlay for the increased earnings potential. God knows how anyone at ground level in retail/hospitality affords to live here.
Stupid London skyscraper question on 20:07 - Aug 17 with 4492 viewsRoyKeanesDog

The Cheese Grater is a car park in Sheffield.

Poll: Best Football Song

Stupid London skyscraper question on 20:29 - Aug 17 with 4455 viewsLord_Lucan

Stupid London skyscraper question on 20:07 - Aug 17 by RoyKeanesDog

The Cheese Grater is a car park in Sheffield.

Mmmmmm. I thought it was that dodgy massage parlour.

Stupid London skyscraper question on 20:34 - Aug 17 with 4439 viewsRoyKeanesDog

Stupid London skyscraper question on 20:29 - Aug 17 by Lord_Lucan

Mmmmmm. I thought it was that dodgy massage parlour.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=cheese+grater+sheffield&client=ms-android-sams

Poll: Best Football Song

Stupid London skyscraper question on 21:06 - Aug 17 with 4400 viewsgiant_stow

Stupid London skyscraper question on 17:39 - Aug 17 by glasso

A mate of mine used to work at the architects that designed the new residential tower, One Blackfriars. He said the main guy there literally got bought a vase, thought 'that's a cool shape' and designed a building around it. I can't find the picture of the vase now, but it's online somewhere and it's *exactly* the same.

So it's not completely out of the question that they were designed around those shapes - One Blackfriar's is already unofficially being called 'The Vase'

See that building every day - personally I've grown fond of its curves, but I've seen people slate it more for what it stands for.

Edit: the one I don't get is the new bit of the tate modern - don't think it'll age well as its already ugly (and copies the shape of that black tower down blackfriars Road.
[Post edited 17 Aug 2017 21:09]

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Stupid London skyscraper question on 21:29 - Aug 17 with 4344 viewssolemio

Stupid London skyscraper question on 21:06 - Aug 17 by giant_stow

See that building every day - personally I've grown fond of its curves, but I've seen people slate it more for what it stands for.

Edit: the one I don't get is the new bit of the tate modern - don't think it'll age well as its already ugly (and copies the shape of that black tower down blackfriars Road.

When I worked in Southwark the TM was called Bankside Power Station, and it spewed steam ans smoke all over the place. The southbank was still a working waterway and there were positively no tourists.
Stupid London skyscraper question on 21:58 - Aug 17 with 4299 viewsgiant_stow

Stupid London skyscraper question on 21:29 - Aug 17 by solemio

When I worked in Southwark the TM was called Bankside Power Station, and it spewed steam ans smoke all over the place. The southbank was still a working waterway and there were positively no tourists.

That's genuinely hard to imagine looking at the place now.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Stupid London skyscraper question on 22:02 - Aug 17 with 4288 viewsvapour_trail

Stupid London skyscraper question on 21:06 - Aug 17 by giant_stow

I'm with you on the new bit. It's impressive inside, as are the oil chambers, but it looks dreadful from the outside.

Stupid London skyscraper question on 22:03 - Aug 17 with 4283 viewssolemio

Stupid London skyscraper question on 21:58 - Aug 17 by giant_stow

That's genuinely hard to imagine looking at the place now.

Yes, it shows that I am second in age only to Methusala.
Stupid London skyscraper question on 23:47 - Aug 17 with 4223 viewsCoastalblue

I'm pretty sure that to get a new skyscraper in London it has to be considered an innovative design or have some architectural merit. I realise this is very subjective.

Sat on my sofa typing this I can see the walkie talkie, the Shard, the Gherkin, the Cheesegrater, St Paul's. the BT Tower, Monument, a bit of Tower Bridge and what will be the Scalpel and the other new one, I find it quite surreal if I'm honest.

(I don't actually like the walkie talkie much if I'm honest, though it probably has the best views)

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Stupid London skyscraper question on 00:00 - Aug 18 with 4211 viewsblue_oyster

Stupid London skyscraper question on 23:47 - Aug 17 by Coastalblue

I'm pretty sure that to get a new skyscraper in London it has to be considered an innovative design or have some architectural merit. I realise this is very subjective.

Sat on my sofa typing this I can see the walkie talkie, the Shard, the Gherkin, the Cheesegrater, St Paul's. the BT Tower, Monument, a bit of Tower Bridge and what will be the Scalpel and the other new one, I find it quite surreal if I'm honest.

(I don't actually like the walkie talkie much if I'm honest, though it probably has the best views)

I don't think the 'Walkie Talkie' is that loved to be honest

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3219883/London-s-Walkie-Talkie-skyscrape

Stupid London skyscraper question on 00:12 - Aug 18 with 4199 viewsCoastalblue

Stupid London skyscraper question on 00:00 - Aug 18 by blue_oyster

I don't think the 'Walkie Talkie' is that loved to be honest

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3219883/London-s-Walkie-Talkie-skyscrape

Looking at that link, and seeing the original question I love the fact that one on there has been christened the fag but and completely see why.

I quite like what they've done with the Cutty Sark which also features though.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Stupid London skyscraper question on 06:48 - Aug 18 with 4146 viewsPendejo

Who are the Architects????? A sub-division of Frey Bentos?

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024