Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
MM not taking responsibility 09:17 - Sep 19 with 39995 viewsCaptMickMills

On Alan Brazil show MM said again he can't do anything about low crowds but only win games.
Rubbish - his dire boring tactics are responsible for reduction of season ticket holders and crowds over last 2 years. High prices also contribute to this but club are now doing something about this.
Need Mick to try to set up for attacking football at home especially against lower placed clubs not just matching up tactics.
I would accept odd defeat if entertaining with goals and developing young players.
My aspirations for Town are not very high now but just want to be entertained when I go and to be able to celebrate some goals.
Only 4 teams in the league.... on 12:13 - Sep 19 with 7468 viewshype313

Only 4 teams in the league.... on 12:08 - Sep 19 by Guthrum

I think you're almost certainly right about Leeds being up there at the end of the season.

However, I also believe that, once we get our defence and midfield back from injury and flowing again, we are also likely to be in the same position. Even with the slew of missing players, we've still managed to grab five wins from seven games - something I'm sure we wouldn't have done in the first half of last season.

My only concern is that we have done remarkably well with Mick being forced into changes, due to our mounting injury list. I just have a slight worry that once he has everyone at his disposal we revert to type, trying not to be glass half empty btw...

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Only 4 teams in the league.... on 12:13 - Sep 19 with 7469 viewschristiand

Only 4 teams in the league.... on 11:42 - Sep 19 by homer_123

I'm not getting too excited.

1. In terms of results it's a significant improvement on last season
2. We're winning matches that last year we would have drawn, see Bolton at home by way of example
3. The football has improved, I don't deny the fact that by factoring in last season we are starting from a low base but, there are clear signs that we have tried to play more football, we've introduced the youth players and they've had a positive impact. Even the recruitment shows signs of improvement.
4. First half Saturday was shocking, I've not seen anyone say otherwise

I don't think I've seen anyone on here say Top 6 is def on, either at the start of the season are after 7 matches - at best there is cautious/ realistic optimism from most fans.

However, there does seem to be a few fans, that no matter what, appear intent on focusing on just the negative. The OP as an example.

Is anyone saying Mick is perfect or the messiah?
[Post edited 19 Sep 2017 11:51]

Now this is what I called balanced Homer and measured. Difficult to disagree with the points made. Although with point 3, it seems to be slipping. It started better and is slowly reverting back to type.

Is anyone saying MM is perfect or the messiah?

No (although I believe he might think he is), but when people say he is the best available option out there. How do they know exactly? I really believe someone, like George Burley, could get the same group of players playing decent stuff and we could still get the results.

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Only 4 teams in the league.... on 12:14 - Sep 19 with 7465 viewsHerbivore

Only 4 teams in the league.... on 11:38 - Sep 19 by christiand

We all want the team to do well, but the way we play is not the way forward and so short term, it just seems we have accepted it, why? Can you really imagine us in the Premier League under MM? I still believe a good football coach would get this same squad of players playing a better brand of football.

It's quite possible another coach or manager may play a better style of football but would they get better results? Given our resources Mick has consistently done a good job, last season aside, of overperforming relative to our budget. It wouldn't be easy at all for someone else to come in and similarly overachieve whilst also getting us playing quality better brand of football, in fact its unrealistic to think that what you want is likely to be readily achievable.

Let me ask you something, if Mick had gone in the summer and we'd brought in a young European coach who was blooding some youngsters, had signed the players we've signed and had won 5 of 7 in the league with a ridiculous injury list, do you think you'd still be so negative about how we're doing? If people were on here moaning that we've played poorly first half in some games and have had a lot of shots against us and attendances aren't as good as they'd like, would you think they were being reasonable or that they should cut the manager some slack? I suspect many of the people slating Mick would be heralding a promising new era under a talented young manager. Whilst I get why Mick doesn't get the same slack, the extent to which he gets more or less no slack is ridiculous. Our 'fans' come across as numpties with the level of negativity after the start we've had imo.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

How's today going for you hun.....? on 12:16 - Sep 19 with 7462 viewschristiand

How's today going for you hun.....? on 12:07 - Sep 19 by Bloots

...you seem a little tense.

x

No all fine this end Bloots, thanks for the concern!

Only 4 teams in the league.... on 12:16 - Sep 19 with 7458 viewsArcher4721

Only 4 teams in the league.... on 11:56 - Sep 19 by christiand

I've said I've not been and won't until things chance in the way we play. However, I read people's match reports and views on here, newspaper reports and even listen to TV pundits, like Tony Cottee, say that we are being outplayed by Bolton or it's a poor game. No offence Bluefunk, but I'm guessing Tony Cottee knows a good or a poor game when he sees one, I'm going to believe what he has to say bearing in mind he was an ex professional footballer at the highest level.

Tony Cottee hates Ipswich.

Fact.
MM not taking responsibility on 12:20 - Sep 19 with 7444 viewsHerbivore

I kind of hope we lose soon so christiand actually has something real to complain about. It seems to be killing him that we're doing well with Mick still in charge. George Burley could get the same results with a better style of football with the same players? Delusional.

Only 4 teams in the league.... on 12:22 - Sep 19 with 7436 viewschristiand

Only 4 teams in the league.... on 12:13 - Sep 19 by bluewein

Ok, now I know you're definitely not reading anything put to you.

"Only 4 teams in the league.... on 11:40 - Sep 19 by christiand

Honest question Bluewein, do you think Leeds have got a better chance of us finishing in the top 6?

Yep, I do.

Not sure what that has to do with the start we've had though and why we can't just enjoy we're in a better position than anyone else could have hoped for so far."

Carry on making it up as you go along though

Based on what exactly? Make no mistake I like your optimism, but I'm more a realist. I would love it if we finish in the top 6, but I'm basing this on my own footballing knowledge. ITFC don't play good enough football to sustain a top 6 challenge (even with players back), there are at least 10 teams stronger than us in this league and I'm not convinced that we are good enough defensively or offensively when it matters.

Only 4 teams in the league.... on 12:28 - Sep 19 with 7419 viewsGuthrum

Only 4 teams in the league.... on 12:13 - Sep 19 by hype313

My only concern is that we have done remarkably well with Mick being forced into changes, due to our mounting injury list. I just have a slight worry that once he has everyone at his disposal we revert to type, trying not to be glass half empty btw...

But look at the personnel who will be coming back. There's no Jonathan Douglas, but instead players like Webster and Huws, whom we know have a more creative style. There simply isn't the negative "padding" around any more.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Login to get fewer ads

Only 4 teams in the league.... on 12:31 - Sep 19 with 7416 viewsbluewein

Only 4 teams in the league.... on 12:22 - Sep 19 by christiand

Based on what exactly? Make no mistake I like your optimism, but I'm more a realist. I would love it if we finish in the top 6, but I'm basing this on my own footballing knowledge. ITFC don't play good enough football to sustain a top 6 challenge (even with players back), there are at least 10 teams stronger than us in this league and I'm not convinced that we are good enough defensively or offensively when it matters.

What on earth are you going on about?!

You asked me if I thought Leeds had a better chance of being in the top 6 than us.

I said yes they do.

And now you go off on this weird tandem about being an optimist and a realist.

You really are looking for the right answers to the wrong question here

Poll: What should you have your gammon with...?

Yet again, nothing to do with the point.... on 12:35 - Sep 19 with 7399 viewsBloots

Only 4 teams in the league.... on 12:22 - Sep 19 by christiand

....and for the record:

Optimist = We are going to get promoted
Realist = It's too early to say one way or the other, but probably neither
Pessimist = We are going to get relegated

Enduringly lovable, intelligent and tremendously exquisite.

Only 4 teams in the league.... on 12:36 - Sep 19 with 7395 viewschristiand

Only 4 teams in the league.... on 12:14 - Sep 19 by Herbivore

It's quite possible another coach or manager may play a better style of football but would they get better results? Given our resources Mick has consistently done a good job, last season aside, of overperforming relative to our budget. It wouldn't be easy at all for someone else to come in and similarly overachieve whilst also getting us playing quality better brand of football, in fact its unrealistic to think that what you want is likely to be readily achievable.

Let me ask you something, if Mick had gone in the summer and we'd brought in a young European coach who was blooding some youngsters, had signed the players we've signed and had won 5 of 7 in the league with a ridiculous injury list, do you think you'd still be so negative about how we're doing? If people were on here moaning that we've played poorly first half in some games and have had a lot of shots against us and attendances aren't as good as they'd like, would you think they were being reasonable or that they should cut the manager some slack? I suspect many of the people slating Mick would be heralding a promising new era under a talented young manager. Whilst I get why Mick doesn't get the same slack, the extent to which he gets more or less no slack is ridiculous. Our 'fans' come across as numpties with the level of negativity after the start we've had imo.

Herbivore, MM should've gone end of last season too much water has passed under the bridge. I'd probably been more optimistic about the new season and willing to accept mistakes were going to be made with a new manager. I know I keep mentioning George Burley, but that would've had an instant bump on the attendance. We all know he loves his sides playing good attacking football and he has the Ipswich Town connection - two reasons for those fans, like me, choosing to stay away to get back on board.The emergence of the some of the younger players is terrific. I worry that once everyone is back whether many of the youngsters will get a look in, even though they look better options than some of the senior pros.

I can only answer for me, although the start is encouraging I've not seen enough to prove to me that MM has learnt from last season. In fact, the more we go into this season for more we seem to be playing in the manner of the last.
[Post edited 19 Sep 2017 12:43]

Only 4 teams in the league.... on 12:37 - Sep 19 with 7391 viewschristiand

Only 4 teams in the league.... on 12:16 - Sep 19 by Archer4721

Tony Cottee hates Ipswich.

Fact.

Opinion not fact.

MM not taking responsibility on 12:39 - Sep 19 with 7379 viewschristiand

MM not taking responsibility on 12:20 - Sep 19 by Herbivore

I kind of hope we lose soon so christiand actually has something real to complain about. It seems to be killing him that we're doing well with Mick still in charge. George Burley could get the same results with a better style of football with the same players? Delusional.

Oh dear!

Yet again, nothing to do with the point.... on 12:42 - Sep 19 with 7368 viewschristiand

Yet again, nothing to do with the point.... on 12:35 - Sep 19 by Bloots

....and for the record:

Based on your criteria then I'm a realist, thanks for the clarification!

MM not taking responsibility on 12:42 - Sep 19 with 7366 viewsWestcountryblue

MM has absolutely nothing to do with attendances.
Only 4 teams in the league.... on 12:47 - Sep 19 with 7343 viewsHerbivore

Only 4 teams in the league.... on 12:36 - Sep 19 by christiand

Herbivore, MM should've gone end of last season too much water has passed under the bridge. I'd probably been more optimistic about the new season and willing to accept mistakes were going to be made with a new manager. I know I keep mentioning George Burley, but that would've had an instant bump on the attendance. We all know he loves his sides playing good attacking football and he has the Ipswich Town connection - two reasons for those fans, like me, choosing to stay away to get back on board.The emergence of the some of the younger players is terrific. I worry that once everyone is back whether many of the youngsters will get a look in, even though they look better options than some of the senior pros.

I can only answer for me, although the start is encouraging I've not seen enough to prove to me that MM has learnt from last season. In fact, the more we go into this season for more we seem to be playing in the manner of the last.

Why on earth do you keep banging on about George Burley? If you genuinely think he'd do a better job here than MM then I fear you are seriously deluded.

(No subject) (n/t) on 12:52 - Sep 19 with 7329 viewsBloots

Yet again, nothing to do with the point.... on 12:35 - Sep 19 by Bloots

....and for the record:

[Post edited 19 Sep 2017 12:55]

And we are mugs, cheers! (n/t) on 12:56 - Sep 19 with 7321 viewsBloots

Yet again, nothing to do with the point.... on 12:42 - Sep 19 by christiand

Based on your criteria then I'm a realist, thanks for the clarification!

Only 4 teams in the league.... on 13:56 - Sep 19 with 7288 viewsitfcjoe

Only 4 teams in the league.... on 12:13 - Sep 19 by christiand

Now this is what I called balanced Homer and measured. Difficult to disagree with the points made. Although with point 3, it seems to be slipping. It started better and is slowly reverting back to type.

Is anyone saying MM is perfect or the messiah?

No (although I believe he might think he is), but when people say he is the best available option out there. How do they know exactly? I really believe someone, like George Burley, could get the same group of players playing decent stuff and we could still get the results.

I loved George Burley's teams, and love watching them games back even now - but do you not think there is a reason that Burley has been unemployed for so long and why McCarthy has basically been employed as a manager for the last 25 years?

Why do all these chairmen think mick can do a better job than Burley? There is more to football than passing the ball about well, it's a results game and Mick has consistently punched above his weight results wise.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Only 4 teams in the league.... on 13:58 - Sep 19 with 7282 viewsbluefunk

Only 4 teams in the league.... on 11:56 - Sep 19 by christiand

I've said I've not been and won't until things chance in the way we play. However, I read people's match reports and views on here, newspaper reports and even listen to TV pundits, like Tony Cottee, say that we are being outplayed by Bolton or it's a poor game. No offence Bluefunk, but I'm guessing Tony Cottee knows a good or a poor game when he sees one, I'm going to believe what he has to say bearing in mind he was an ex professional footballer at the highest level.

Hmmm, Tony Cottee says the Bolton game was poor, and it was, as almost any fan, Pro or anti MM has commented - how do you react to all those other Managers, some of whom have been players and Managers at the highest level saying MM is doing good job here - no offence, but at a guess I'd say you ignore them because it doesn't suit your agenda.
Only 4 teams in the league.... on 14:30 - Sep 19 with 7260 viewschristiand

Only 4 teams in the league.... on 12:47 - Sep 19 by Herbivore

Why on earth do you keep banging on about George Burley? If you genuinely think he'd do a better job here than MM then I fear you are seriously deluded.

Perhaps because I'm providing you with an example?

Only 4 teams in the league.... on 14:33 - Sep 19 with 7255 viewschristiand

Only 4 teams in the league.... on 13:58 - Sep 19 by bluefunk

Hmmm, Tony Cottee says the Bolton game was poor, and it was, as almost any fan, Pro or anti MM has commented - how do you react to all those other Managers, some of whom have been players and Managers at the highest level saying MM is doing good job here - no offence, but at a guess I'd say you ignore them because it doesn't suit your agenda.

No, I respect their opinion. I don't mind giving my view if it goes against the grain.

Only 4 teams in the league.... on 14:34 - Sep 19 with 7254 viewsSomethingBlue

Only 4 teams in the league.... on 14:30 - Sep 19 by christiand

Perhaps because I'm providing you with an example?

Burley has retired. Anyone else you'd like to resurrect?

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Only 4 teams in the league.... on 14:39 - Sep 19 with 7241 viewschristiand

Only 4 teams in the league.... on 14:34 - Sep 19 by SomethingBlue

Burley has retired. Anyone else you'd like to resurrect?

Yes Sir Bobby Robson would be nice, he'd galvanise the whole club instantly! 👍

MM not taking responsibility on 16:02 - Sep 19 with 7216 viewssundaze

MM not taking responsibility on 12:42 - Sep 19 by Westcountryblue

MM has absolutely nothing to do with attendances.

Wrong. There are many Town fans that will tell you different, many long standing loyal season ticket holders that could not endure another season of traveling to Portman Road guessing how many defensive players he could fit into the team.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024