Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
TfL strips Uber of license to operate in London 11:08 - Sep 22 with 13241 viewsunbelievablue

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/transport/uber-stripped-of-its-licence-to-operat

ffs.

Le meilleur des mondes possibles
Poll: When booking a reservation at a restaurant/bar, do you give...

on 11:11 - Sep 22 with 7484 views_

TfL strips Uber of license to operate in London on 11:13 - Sep 22 with 7465 viewsJohnny_Boy

Has 'LYFT' got a foothold in the UK yet? They were the acceptable Uber-model to use when in need of a cheap taxi in the USA.
TfL strips Uber of license to operate in London on 11:14 - Sep 22 with 7458 viewsStokieBlue

Very annoying black cabs are a fortune in comparison.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

TfL strips Uber of license to operate in London on 11:16 - Sep 22 with 7441 viewsWD19

What is the game here?

Just purely political, or a little dance whereby Uber will ultimately pay a little more for a license to help fund the 'increasing cost of regulation'?
TfL strips Uber of license to operate in London on 11:16 - Sep 22 with 7443 viewsunbelievablue

on 11:11 - Sep 22 by _

Well if you put their working practises aside then obviously there's no reason.

TfL strips Uber of license to operate in London on 11:18 - Sep 22 with 7423 viewsMJallday

i would imagine there will now be legal challenges. every major city in the world has uber - so i dont see why london has to be special

Stilton eating Participant - 1977 to Present Day
Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

TfL strips Uber of license to operate in London on 11:19 - Sep 22 with 7410 viewschicoazul

That won't stick. TfL wont put 10000 people out of work. It's just a bargaining chip to get Uber to pony up some more money.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

on 11:20 - Sep 22 with 7406 views_

TfL strips Uber of license to operate in London on 11:18 - Sep 22 by MJallday

i would imagine there will now be legal challenges. every major city in the world has uber - so i dont see why london has to be special

Login to get fewer ads

TfL strips Uber of license to operate in London on 11:20 - Sep 22 with 7410 viewsKing_of_Portman_Rd

It has been banned in a few European Countries as well. Uber was banned from Budapest 3 days before my recent trip there.

It seems that cabbies are uniting to try and force Uber out
TfL strips Uber of license to operate in London on 11:22 - Sep 22 with 7390 viewshomer_123

Sensible on a number of counts.

1. There enough black cabs and private hire vehicles in London anyway
2. having used Uber in London, I can safely say that relying on Google Maps to get me where I need to go isn't really what I'm paying for
3. Good for the environment to have less cars polluting
4. In terms of employment practises (ahem if you can call them that) I'm glad to see Uber being hit where it hurts

Saying that, I feel for those who need to make up their income somehow as a result.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

TfL strips Uber of license to operate in London on 11:24 - Sep 22 with 7375 viewsclive_baker

Taxi will be tugging ferociously over this.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

on 11:25 - Sep 22 with 7366 views_

TfL strips Uber of license to operate in London on 11:24 - Sep 22 by clive_baker

Taxi will be tugging ferociously over this.

TfL strips Uber of license to operate in London on 11:28 - Sep 22 with 7360 viewsStokieBlue

TfL strips Uber of license to operate in London on 11:22 - Sep 22 by homer_123

2. having used Uber in London, I can safely say that relying on Google Maps to get me where I need to go isn't really what I'm paying for
4. In terms of employment practises (ahem if you can call them that) I'm glad to see Uber being hit where it hurts

Saying that, I feel for those who need to make up their income somehow as a result.

Most people thing Uber is great as a service (can discuss working practices separately) - the black cabs abused their position for far too long and charge far more than other firms.

Why is remembering where to go such a good thing? Embrace technology.

Most Uber cars are hybrids - not really that polluting.

SB

TfL strips Uber of license to operate in London on 11:29 - Sep 22 with 7355 viewsStokieBlue

on 11:20 - Sep 22 by _

I wonder what would happen if Uber drivers blockaded central London now like the black cab drivers did when they didn't get their way.

SB

TfL strips Uber of license to operate in London on 11:31 - Sep 22 with 7339 viewsGlasgowBlue

40,000 drivers out of work.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

TfL strips Uber of license to operate in London on 11:32 - Sep 22 with 7337 viewshomer_123

TfL strips Uber of license to operate in London on 11:28 - Sep 22 by StokieBlue

Most people thing Uber is great as a service (can discuss working practices separately) - the black cabs abused their position for far too long and charge far more than other firms.

Why is remembering where to go such a good thing? Embrace technology.

Most Uber cars are hybrids - not really that polluting.

SB

Nearly everyone I have spoken to has a, at best, a poor to middling experience with Uber.

It's not about not embracing technology - it's about understand the locale and black cabs can (and should) charge a premium for that training, knowledge and experience.

TfL strips Uber of license to operate in London on 11:33 - Sep 22 with 7330 viewshomer_123

TfL strips Uber of license to operate in London on 11:31 - Sep 22 by GlasgowBlue

40,000 drivers out of work.

That's not the case GB - it'll be that most of these use Uber as a way of topping up their income - still gotta replace it but the majority of these will still be working in other jobs/ role, gigs etc.

TfL strips Uber of license to operate in London on 11:33 - Sep 22 with 7323 viewsGlasgowBlue

TfL strips Uber of license to operate in London on 11:29 - Sep 22 by StokieBlue

I wonder what would happen if Uber drivers blockaded central London now like the black cab drivers did when they didn't get their way.

SB

Apparently TFL on;ly gave Uber one minute's notice before tweeting the news.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

TfL strips Uber of license to operate in London on 11:34 - Sep 22 with 7326 viewsStokieBlue

TfL strips Uber of license to operate in London on 11:32 - Sep 22 by homer_123

Nearly everyone I have spoken to has a, at best, a poor to middling experience with Uber.

It's not about not embracing technology - it's about understand the locale and black cabs can (and should) charge a premium for that training, knowledge and experience.

Well all I can say is that's a totally different set of views to virtually everyone I have spoken to.

Do you use them frequently?

Totally disagree on the last point, the knowledge is great but it's nearly 2020 and why not use the services that are available. It's also not just a premium, at rate 3 in the evening it can be more than double the price.

SB

TfL strips Uber of license to operate in London on 11:34 - Sep 22 with 7322 viewsfooters

Uber was given an almost too easy ride (har har) by Osborne thanks to his links with the firm. There's a balance to be struck here, but an outright ban is OTT and unfair to those drivers. First they need to cough up more in tax, then they need to improve their working practices, and perhaps pay some sort of fee to TfL which would, in turn, help improve the public transport network.
[Post edited 22 Sep 2017 11:35]

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

TfL strips Uber of license to operate in London on 11:34 - Sep 22 with 7321 viewshomer_123

TfL strips Uber of license to operate in London on 11:29 - Sep 22 by StokieBlue

SB

I would suggest that their efforts be better spent trying to get their working relationship with Uber sorted.

Although, I guess that is moot if Uber can't operate.

TfL strips Uber of license to operate in London on 11:35 - Sep 22 with 7322 viewsStokieBlue

TfL strips Uber of license to operate in London on 11:33 - Sep 22 by homer_123

That's not the case GB - it'll be that most of these use Uber as a way of topping up their income - still gotta replace it but the majority of these will still be working in other jobs/ role, gigs etc.

Once again - have you spoken to many Uber drivers?

Nearly all of them I've ever spoken to use Uber as their main source of income - they left minicab firms because it's a more stable stream of work.

SB

TfL strips Uber of license to operate in London on 11:37 - Sep 22 with 7298 viewsunbelievablue

TfL strips Uber of license to operate in London on 11:32 - Sep 22 by homer_123

I have an excellent experience with Uber given the volume of trips I've taken.

Black cabs on the other hand...

TfL strips Uber of license to operate in London on 11:38 - Sep 22 with 7286 viewshomer_123

TfL strips Uber of license to operate in London on 11:34 - Sep 22 by StokieBlue

Well all I can say is that's a totally different set of views to virtually everyone I have spoken to.

Do you use them frequently?

Totally disagree on the last point, the knowledge is great but it's nearly 2020 and why not use the services that are available. It's also not just a premium, at rate 3 in the evening it can be more than double the price.

SB

I'm not saying you're wrong re. the views you've heard.

I used Uber extensively for a period but got to the point of frustration and also not really wanting to support an organisation that doesn't really look after it's people so well.

Saying that, there were times where the service/ ride etc. was good. However, the majority wasn't and I was only talking to a friend who works in the City last night and he was telling me he and his colleagues have done the same - simply not good enough (we're talking about 30 or so people who have all stopped using Uber).

I've spoken to other people as well and from those, poor to middling is about right in terms of average.

I'm not saying you can't use those services SB - it's not about not embracing technology.

TfL strips Uber of license to operate in London on 11:42 - Sep 22 with 7259 viewsMattinLondon

TfL strips Uber of license to operate in London on 11:22 - Sep 22 by homer_123

I've used uber a few times and they had no idea where they were going and on each occasion the drivers asked me where i lived.

Black cabs are a lot more reliable.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024