Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Very interesting to see how we are placed a week from now 11:24 - Sep 24 with 7263 viewsSomethingBlue

Two home games, neither straightforward at all; if you asked me now I'd be OK with four points, because this is the Championship, but needless to say we should be aiming for six. A couple of good results and continued presence in the top six might go some way towards convincing people, both around Ipswich and beyond, that we haven't necessarily been a flash in the pan; the opposite and it might become a tricky autumn. I see it as a fantastic opportunity though: play as we did yesterday and there's every chance we could be in a really fine position this time next week.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Very interesting to see how we are placed a week from now on 11:29 - Sep 24 with 5717 viewsJakeITFC

Such a weird division, yet again.

Sunderland are obviously in horrible form but have a good squad and a competent manager and Bristol City can really be anything on any given day. If we put both of these away then you'd have to consider us as top half certainties for my money.

Will be interesting to see how he plays it on Tuesday night - lots of fit again players to choose from, a couple of attackers with cause to be annoyed at not playing, but also not many who deserved to be left out and a strikeforce that's in the goals.
Very interesting to see how we are placed a week from now on 11:32 - Sep 24 with 5708 viewsSomethingBlue

Very interesting to see how we are placed a week from now on 11:29 - Sep 24 by JakeITFC

Such a weird division, yet again.

Sunderland are obviously in horrible form but have a good squad and a competent manager and Bristol City can really be anything on any given day. If we put both of these away then you'd have to consider us as top half certainties for my money.

Will be interesting to see how he plays it on Tuesday night - lots of fit again players to choose from, a couple of attackers with cause to be annoyed at not playing, but also not many who deserved to be left out and a strikeforce that's in the goals.

Yep, Sunderland are probably a team we need to start quickly against — confidence is low but if we let them get a foothold they do have very good players. Bristol City look a lot better organised this season and have some threat up top. Both will be tricky; two wins would be magnificent, I expect one to be honest but let's see.

I wonder if he might play Waghorn on Tuesday night. The player will be keen to go against his old club and Mick has made selections on that kind of hunch before. Then again, McGoldrick and Garner are doing just fine. It's nice to have these problems at last.

Very interesting to see how we are placed a week from now on 11:36 - Sep 24 with 5694 viewsSuperfrans

Very interesting to see how we are placed a week from now on 11:32 - Sep 24 by SomethingBlue

Yep, Sunderland are probably a team we need to start quickly against — confidence is low but if we let them get a foothold they do have very good players. Bristol City look a lot better organised this season and have some threat up top. Both will be tricky; two wins would be magnificent, I expect one to be honest but let's see.

I wonder if he might play Waghorn on Tuesday night. The player will be keen to go against his old club and Mick has made selections on that kind of hunch before. Then again, McGoldrick and Garner are doing just fine. It's nice to have these problems at last.

The worry with Sunderland is that they have to turn the corner at some point. They have too many decent players to continue as they are. And, they will have struggled this season partly because so many teams will have raised their game against a former Prem team.

So, we’ll need to be on our metal, both up front and in defence.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Very interesting to see how we are placed a week from now on 11:36 - Sep 24 with 5691 viewsParisBlue

4 points would be an excellent return (2 points a game)

Forget the game in hand. Doesn't look like they're be a standout team this year and the championship being what it is, with everyone capable of beating everyone else, it's getting congested behind us. 4 points would keep as near the top, 2 or less will see us sliding down the table and looking downwards.

Looking ahead October looks tricky. But then so does November, December and January. That's the championship for you.

Libraries gave us power
Poll: Which position in the table will we be after Saturday?

Very interesting to see how we are placed a week from now on 11:40 - Sep 24 with 5671 viewsSomethingBlue

Very interesting to see how we are placed a week from now on 11:36 - Sep 24 by Superfrans

The worry with Sunderland is that they have to turn the corner at some point. They have too many decent players to continue as they are. And, they will have struggled this season partly because so many teams will have raised their game against a former Prem team.

So, we’ll need to be on our metal, both up front and in defence.

Yes, it might well be classic early season post-relegation syndrome — although the club itself is in a bit of a state so it could equally be slightly more than that. Can't see Grayson taking them into serious trouble though and I broadly agree; they'll improve and have good players for this level. If they perform against us it's the kind of one where you fear them sneaking a 1-0. We need to set about them.
[Post edited 24 Sep 2017 11:40]

Very interesting to see how we are placed a week from now on 11:42 - Sep 24 with 5647 viewsDarth_Koont

Agreed. That was a far more complete performance than I've seen from us in a very long time. Shame that it was our turn to be on the end of clinical finishing and an uncharacteristic error from Bart.

It would be fantastic to carry that level into the next couple of games, which could really set us up for a very difficult October. But as you say, this is the Championship — and other sides are pretty good at stopping you building up any rhythm and momentum.

Pronouns: He/Him

Very interesting to see how we are placed a week from now on 11:59 - Sep 24 with 5611 viewsDolly2.0

I overheard a Leeds supporter walking away from the ground who said we are in a false position. Not sure how he can say that after the match he just witnessed, regardless if it turns out to be true. Like you say, the next two games will go some way to showing if we are or not.

Poll: Be honest, how many times have you played the clip of Noel Hunt's goal?

Very interesting to see how we are placed a week from now on 12:13 - Sep 24 with 5569 viewsParisBlue

Very interesting to see how we are placed a week from now on 11:59 - Sep 24 by Dolly2.0

I overheard a Leeds supporter walking away from the ground who said we are in a false position. Not sure how he can say that after the match he just witnessed, regardless if it turns out to be true. Like you say, the next two games will go some way to showing if we are or not.

Perhaps he thinks we should be top and not 6th (or 7th after today's Sheffield derby)

Libraries gave us power
Poll: Which position in the table will we be after Saturday?

Login to get fewer ads

Very interesting to see how we are placed a week from now on 12:16 - Sep 24 with 5555 viewsDolly2.0

Very interesting to see how we are placed a week from now on 12:13 - Sep 24 by ParisBlue

Perhaps he thinks we should be top and not 6th (or 7th after today's Sheffield derby)

Ha, maybe!

Poll: Be honest, how many times have you played the clip of Noel Hunt's goal?

Very interesting to see how we are placed a week from now on 12:33 - Sep 24 with 5514 viewsPJH

Very interesting to see how we are placed a week from now on 12:13 - Sep 24 by ParisBlue

That's what I was thinking.
They battered us for the first 15 minutes but after that we were either equal to or better than them.
Conceding their second just after we had gone level was a sickener as was giving them the third just as we had two attacking subs waiting to come on.
I think Bart should have done better with their second as he stopped when coming out,I thought at the time that he should have kept coming out and I am even more convinced after seeing it again.
Very interesting to see how we are placed a week from now on 12:34 - Sep 24 with 5499 viewsWestSussexBlue

I'm both excited and a tad nervous about the two games. Yesterday we were underdogs and expected to lose and maybe lose heavily, now we're showing real signs of improvement and better football. I'm nervous because of the ease in which we could slip back to the dross of last season but I'm really hoping we can take at least 4 points and turn this decent start in to a solid one from which we really push on.
Very interesting to see how we are placed a week from now on 12:37 - Sep 24 with 5490 viewsSomethingBlue

Very interesting to see how we are placed a week from now on 12:33 - Sep 24 by PJH

That's what I was thinking.
They battered us for the first 15 minutes but after that we were either equal to or better than them.
Conceding their second just after we had gone level was a sickener as was giving them the third just as we had two attacking subs waiting to come on.
I think Bart should have done better with their second as he stopped when coming out,I thought at the time that he should have kept coming out and I am even more convinced after seeing it again.

The second was an even worse goal than the third, I think — really terrible defending and although it's hard to tell from the footage it looks like perhaps Adeyemi who didn't go with his man.

Very interesting to see how we are placed a week from now on 12:58 - Sep 24 with 5429 viewsClausThomsen

We shouldn't be matching up from kick off for our home games, we should play the 532 which suits every member of our squad, as we did for the Birmingham and Bolton games.

We're pissing goals with 4 at the back, Knudsen and Spence are both better in a back 3, as are all our midfielders, and we can keep playing 2 up front.

2 home wins would be fantastic, and if we're serious then we have to win our home games.
Very interesting to see how we are placed a week from now on 13:12 - Sep 24 with 5384 viewsSuperfrans

Very interesting to see how we are placed a week from now on 12:37 - Sep 24 by SomethingBlue

The second was an even worse goal than the third, I think — really terrible defending and although it's hard to tell from the footage it looks like perhaps Adeyemi who didn't go with his man.

The first goal was terrible too. Spence should have been across much quicker, but a pass like that should never travel that far on the ground without someone intercepting it. I imagine they’ll be talking about all three goals tomorrow.

Very interesting to see how we are placed a week from now on 13:15 - Sep 24 with 5379 viewsSomethingBlue

Very interesting to see how we are placed a week from now on 13:12 - Sep 24 by Superfrans

The first goal was terrible too. Spence should have been across much quicker, but a pass like that should never travel that far on the ground without someone intercepting it. I imagine they’ll be talking about all three goals tomorrow.

Also wondered whether Garner, in particular, could have closed that move down more quickly from the front. But we may well have been under instruction to let them keep the ball at the back.

Very interesting to see how we are placed a week from now on 13:22 - Sep 24 with 5357 viewsBasuco

I wonder where we would have been had we had our first choice back 4/5 fit from the start of the season, or did the patched up side up their level of performance due to having to? Either way we have much to look forward to this season.
Very interesting to see how we are placed a week from now on 13:28 - Sep 24 with 5342 viewsSuperfrans

Very interesting to see how we are placed a week from now on 13:22 - Sep 24 by Basuco

I wonder where we would have been had we had our first choice back 4/5 fit from the start of the season, or did the patched up side up their level of performance due to having to? Either way we have much to look forward to this season.

It’s one of the reasons I feel so optimistic. When the CBs return and we can put Spence, Iorfa and co back into FB, we’ll have the potential for a really mobile team.

Very interesting to see how we are placed a week from now on 16:18 - Sep 24 with 5168 viewsHerbivore

Very interesting to see how we are placed a week from now on 12:58 - Sep 24 by ClausThomsen

We shouldn't be matching up from kick off for our home games, we should play the 532 which suits every member of our squad, as we did for the Birmingham and Bolton games.

We're pissing goals with 4 at the back, Knudsen and Spence are both better in a back 3, as are all our midfielders, and we can keep playing 2 up front.

2 home wins would be fantastic, and if we're serious then we have to win our home games.

We're a better side playing 4-4-2, the back 3/5 experiment worked for a bit last season but largely we've been poor playing that way. We changed it at half time against Bolton and were much improved second half, we played 4-4-2 yesterday and ran Leeds very close and that goals we conceded came from individual errors and not from our shape.

I'm looking forward to Tuesday, I'm away for the Brizzle game on Saturday though so won't be at that one. I'm hoping we start strong against Sunderland, we've had some sluggish starts this season but if we come out of the blocks with Sunderland's fragile confidence I can see us getting at them and possibly taking the game away from them quite quickly. Be good to see us start a game the way we've played second half in the last two games.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Very interesting to see how we are placed a week from now on 17:18 - Sep 24 with 5094 viewsHarry_Palmer

Very interesting to see how we are placed a week from now on 16:18 - Sep 24 by Herbivore

We're a better side playing 4-4-2, the back 3/5 experiment worked for a bit last season but largely we've been poor playing that way. We changed it at half time against Bolton and were much improved second half, we played 4-4-2 yesterday and ran Leeds very close and that goals we conceded came from individual errors and not from our shape.

I'm looking forward to Tuesday, I'm away for the Brizzle game on Saturday though so won't be at that one. I'm hoping we start strong against Sunderland, we've had some sluggish starts this season but if we come out of the blocks with Sunderland's fragile confidence I can see us getting at them and possibly taking the game away from them quite quickly. Be good to see us start a game the way we've played second half in the last two games.

We switched to 352 at half time yesterday and were an improved outfit after the break. I think it differs from game to game to be honest and i'm also not sure Mick quite knows his preferred formation yet.
Very interesting to see how we are placed a week from now on 17:21 - Sep 24 with 5090 viewsMullet

Very interesting to see how we are placed a week from now on 17:18 - Sep 24 by Harry_Palmer

We switched to 352 at half time yesterday and were an improved outfit after the break. I think it differs from game to game to be honest and i'm also not sure Mick quite knows his preferred formation yet.

Did we?

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Very interesting to see how we are placed a week from now on 17:31 - Sep 24 with 5067 viewstextbackup

It's simple for me, attempt to win your home games.
Two schools of thought here, MM is gonna surprise us and go out for them win from off with cellina starting, or ultra pissed off at the sloppy goals conceded sat, and will be ultra cautious

Money on the latter, but we'll see

6 points will have me thinking top 6 is do able, 4 top half, 2 awful draws and we are stuck in a MM time machine living last season again

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Very interesting to see how we are placed a week from now on 18:40 - Sep 24 with 4976 viewsClausThomsen

Very interesting to see how we are placed a week from now on 16:18 - Sep 24 by Herbivore

We've conceded 10 goals with a back 4 and 1 with a back 5.

I'm all for changing it at halftime if it isn't working but starting with a back 4 has led to all of our defeats this season, and more than 90% of our goals conceded.
Very interesting to see how we are placed a week from now on 18:44 - Sep 24 with 4964 viewsHerbivore

Very interesting to see how we are placed a week from now on 18:40 - Sep 24 by ClausThomsen

We've conceded 10 goals with a back 4 and 1 with a back 5.

I'm all for changing it at halftime if it isn't working but starting with a back 4 has led to all of our defeats this season, and more than 90% of our goals conceded.

Try going to games and watching us play rather than picking over stats. Two of our defeats came when we had zero recognised centre backs to pick from and the other came yesterday following a good performance. Interested to know how you think playing three at the back would have stopped the individual errors that caused us to lose yesterday.

Very interesting to see how we are placed a week from now on 19:05 - Sep 24 with 4938 viewsClausThomsen

Very interesting to see how we are placed a week from now on 18:44 - Sep 24 by Herbivore

Try going to games and watching us play rather than picking over stats. Two of our defeats came when we had zero recognised centre backs to pick from and the other came yesterday following a good performance. Interested to know how you think playing three at the back would have stopped the individual errors that caused us to lose yesterday.

If I went to every game, my opinion about the amount of goals we're leaking with a back 4 wouldn't change. I wouldn't forget our best run of form last season was with a back 5 either.

I get it, you go to loads of games...

zzz...

Hervibore confirmed.
Very interesting to see how we are placed a week from now on 19:10 - Sep 24 with 4921 viewsHerbivore

Very interesting to see how we are placed a week from now on 19:05 - Sep 24 by ClausThomsen

If I went to every game, my opinion about the amount of goals we're leaking with a back 4 wouldn't change. I wouldn't forget our best run of form last season was with a back 5 either.

I get it, you go to loads of games...

zzz...

Hervibore confirmed.

Going to games is kind of helpful when forming a view about how we ought to play, mate. Give it a go, you might learn something.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024