Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
So farewell then, Tommy Smith 16:21 - Jan 18 with 6059 viewschicoazul

You never *quite* nailed down a permanent spot in the team although I have to say you looked pretty good at times in the past alongside Berra and Chambers in particular. Never the most mobile or strongest centre half but you always gave it everything and you seemed to love playing for Ipswich.

Good Luck Tommy!

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

So farewell then, Tommy Smith on 16:26 - Jan 18 with 6034 viewsartsbossbeard

Gave me one of favourite ITFC memories with his goal at Carrot Road and the subsequent sprint up to us at the far end to celebrate.

Actually, could anything be any more "Ipswich" than that day?

Goal down, man down, fantastic equaliser and then gallant defeat to finish.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

So farewell then, Tommy Smith on 16:27 - Jan 18 with 6028 viewsITFC_Forever

Yep - when on form, he was decent enough.

When he was first in the team, he always had a habit of letting the ball bounce or getting caught under it.
He did improve and was decent enough for the majority of the time, although when he wasn't quite on it, you were always nervous he had a rick / loss of confidence / loss of form / all three in him.

But he has certainly been a loyal servant to the club and we'll never forget that equaliser at Carrow Road in the POs.

I for one certainly wish him and his Mrs (who plays in the ladies first team of my daughter's netball club) all the best for the future.... Sounds like a great life opportunity.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

So farewell then, Tommy Smith on 16:28 - Jan 18 with 6021 viewschicoazul

So farewell then, Tommy Smith on 16:26 - Jan 18 by artsbossbeard

Gave me one of favourite ITFC memories with his goal at Carrot Road and the subsequent sprint up to us at the far end to celebrate.

Actually, could anything be any more "Ipswich" than that day?

Goal down, man down, fantastic equaliser and then gallant defeat to finish.

Haha spot on with your last point.

He always seemed to really love playing for us particularly when he came back from his various loans and injuries. A true blue in a lot of ways. And the last remnant from the Keane era I believe..?

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

So farewell then, Tommy Smith on 16:30 - Jan 18 with 6003 viewsJ2BLUE

Excellent servant over the years. Deserves the move. Assuming he is getting a similar wage he must be thrilled to leave the same old crap here.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

So farewell then, Tommy Smith on 16:33 - Jan 18 with 5985 viewschicoazul

Also his middle name is Jefferson. Thomas Jefferson!

So farewell then, Tommy Smith on 16:35 - Jan 18 with 5979 viewsSteve_M

Booed on his debut, unsure for a while but I remember him giving Kenny Miller an absolute earful after a shameful dive for Cardiff and I thought that actually he had grown into the position.

Plus a load of goals, some of them very memorable. As ABB says he suddenly appeared in front of us at Carrow Road after his equaliser. If only we had kept it 1-1 for 15 minutes....

Just a shame that his last two seasons have been marred by injury, backs don't tend to get that much better so I suspect he'll struggle for the rest of his career (and given how mine is at the moment I'm very sympathetic).

Good luck to him, a few years in Colorado will be a nice lifestyle change even if no-one can be sure how much this is his choice.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

So farewell then, Tommy Smith on 16:40 - Jan 18 with 5947 viewsHerbivore

To be fair he had that position nailed down for a good few years before the injuries, alongside Chambo and then Berra. I've always liked Tommy, he's a good defender and although he's far from perfect on his best days he'd have some decent centre forwards in his pocket. Always gives 100% too and as has been mentioned, his sprint to celebrate the leveller at Carrow Road is the stuff of legend. He is just out of the first team picture now and the severity of his injuries raises doubts about whether he'd ever nail down a first team slot for us again, so the move makes sense for him.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

So farewell then, Tommy Smith on 16:40 - Jan 18 with 5951 viewsUncle_Bulgaria

Was an accident waiting to happen for the majority of the pre-McCarthy era but has improved a great deal since then. His goal and reaction at Carrow Road was something else, and for that alone he deserves the very best of luck in the future.

Good luck Tommy, all the best
Login to get fewer ads

So farewell then, Tommy Smith on 16:44 - Jan 18 with 5929 viewsJuanMan

So farewell then, Tommy Smith on 16:28 - Jan 18 by chicoazul

He always seemed to really love playing for us particularly when he came back from his various loans and injuries. A true blue in a lot of ways. And the last remnant from the Keane era I believe..?

Hyam now the last I believe.
So farewell then, Tommy Smith on 16:50 - Jan 18 with 5892 viewsCurrie10

So farewell then, Tommy Smith on 16:40 - Jan 18 by Uncle_Bulgaria

Was an accident waiting to happen for the majority of the pre-McCarthy era but has improved a great deal since then. His goal and reaction at Carrow Road was something else, and for that alone he deserves the very best of luck in the future.

Good luck Tommy, all the best

Amen, my thoughts exactly.

If only he had a little bit more pace and didn't let the ruddy thing bounce!
So farewell then, Tommy Smith on 16:51 - Jan 18 with 5883 viewsSteve_M

So farewell then, Tommy Smith on 16:28 - Jan 18 by chicoazul

He made his debut under Magilton.

So farewell then, Tommy Smith on 17:23 - Jan 18 with 5819 viewsSuperTommySmith

38/46 appearances
45/46 appearances
42/46 appearances
45/46 appearances

From 2012 to 2016 sounds pretty much nailed down to me. 2016/2017 he missed 26 gamed due to an injury according to a website and then he still made 10 appearances that year.

Someone on twitter is spouting crap that he is injury prone. Up until the last 2 seasons that was definitely not the case. Whilst he did pick up another injury a couple of months into this one it seems Mick would just rather play fall backs at CB.

Obviously by the username I'm pretty biased but I find it rather irritating people saying he's injury prone when you compare him to the likes of Luke Hyam, Teddy Bishop and McGoldrick.

Pretty gutted he's going to leave.
So farewell then, Tommy Smith on 17:27 - Jan 18 with 5802 viewsDeano69

So farewell then, Tommy Smith on 17:23 - Jan 18 by SuperTommySmith

38/46 appearances
45/46 appearances
42/46 appearances
45/46 appearances

From 2012 to 2016 sounds pretty much nailed down to me. 2016/2017 he missed 26 gamed due to an injury according to a website and then he still made 10 appearances that year.

Someone on twitter is spouting crap that he is injury prone. Up until the last 2 seasons that was definitely not the case. Whilst he did pick up another injury a couple of months into this one it seems Mick would just rather play fall backs at CB.

Obviously by the username I'm pretty biased but I find it rather irritating people saying he's injury prone when you compare him to the likes of Luke Hyam, Teddy Bishop and McGoldrick.

Not so much injury prone, more a case of a bad injury coming at a critical time in his career.

Cant see us recruiting/loaning anyone significantly better. Wish him well, a good egg!

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

So farewell then, Tommy Smith on 17:33 - Jan 18 with 5788 viewsSteve_M

So farewell then, Tommy Smith on 17:27 - Jan 18 by Deano69

Not so much injury prone, more a case of a bad injury coming at a critical time in his career.

Cant see us recruiting/loaning anyone significantly better. Wish him well, a good egg!

Yes, missing large parts of two consecutive seasons is pretty significant. He looked a long way off fitness against Fulham too.

Godson, if it is to be him, would be a better option for the season than a partially fit Smith. However, it will be another gap int he Summer regardless.

So farewell then, Tommy Smith on 17:36 - Jan 18 with 5777 viewsMullet

One of my favourite days supporting Town. Tommy's was the icing.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

So farewell then, Tommy Smith on 17:45 - Jan 18 with 5730 viewsSteve_M

So farewell then, Tommy Smith on 17:36 - Jan 18 by Mullet

One of my favourite days supporting Town. Tommy's was the icing.

Yeah, that was fun. Back when Brentford fans weren't utterly full of themselves.

So farewell then, Tommy Smith on 17:49 - Jan 18 with 5721 viewsolimar

So farewell then, Tommy Smith on 16:35 - Jan 18 by Steve_M

Booed on his debut, unsure for a while but I remember him giving Kenny Miller an absolute earful after a shameful dive for Cardiff and I thought that actually he had grown into the position.

Plus a load of goals, some of them very memorable. As ABB says he suddenly appeared in front of us at Carrow Road after his equaliser. If only we had kept it 1-1 for 15 minutes....

Just a shame that his last two seasons have been marred by injury, backs don't tend to get that much better so I suspect he'll struggle for the rest of his career (and given how mine is at the moment I'm very sympathetic).

Good luck to him, a few years in Colorado will be a nice lifestyle change even if no-one can be sure how much this is his choice.

For me, he was rarely within the top 2 CBs for most of his time at the club. There was always that feeling that he was decent enough, but was something of a weak link. Has all the traditional skills of a CB- strong, physical, good in the air, fearless, but all the classic weaknesses too- lack of pace, limited distribution, not that great reading the game.

We spent 3.5 years with Chambers doing a decent job at fullback to accommodate Smith at CB. On the occasions when Chambers and Berra played together, we were noticeably improved. Not to say we werent relatively successful in that time too, but I think we all agree that we would have been a stronger team with a dedicated RB and Chambers in the middle (not to mention that Berra played big chunks playing on his wrong side, to allow Smith to play on the left). Some of this is a misgiving of Mick McCarthy of course, for not making a decision on his best two CBs and trying to come up with a solution that suited all of them (and repeating the trick with his forwards a few years later).

With Berra having left, regardless of his fitness issues, Smith still isnt one of our best 2 CBs.

Even if we play 3 CBs now, which would probably suit Smith perfectly, we would probably pick 3 other CBs ahead of him.

Good squad player, it feels like hes of most value to the club in his current role, as an experienced player who can fill in for injuries and be a good character around the club.
So farewell then, Tommy Smith on 17:51 - Jan 18 with 5716 viewsbrogansnose

I love Tommy Smith. The bloke has battled through rubbish managers, fans on his back, a dodgy start to his career in a position where mistakes are hard to hide. Plenty of young guns fall by the wayside and disapear for less and the man has battled aversity to cement a career at Town. At the end of the Jewell era , he was the only player , whatever the result and it was mostly dreadful, who came over to acknowledge the fans. In a era when we have consider that we have lost our 'Ipswich family ' credentials the man has epitimised that spirit with his training schools , stuff in the community and , as mentioned above, that equaliser and run at Carrot Ruud.

All the best Tommy, sorry to see you go and good luck.
So farewell then, Tommy Smith on 18:53 - Jan 18 with 5595 viewsReuser_is_God

Love Tommy Smith.

Always sad when a player who has given almost 10 years service to the club departs, especially one who gave as much to the cause as he did.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

So farewell then, Tommy Smith on 14:20 - Jan 19 with 5354 viewschicoazul

So farewell then, Tommy Smith on 17:23 - Jan 18 by SuperTommySmith

38/46 appearances
45/46 appearances
42/46 appearances
45/46 appearances

Very fair points on the appearances. Maybe it's just my opinion that he was never quite settled in there bleeding in to my OP. As Olimar says he played a lot of games resulting in Chambers being shunted out to FB and I agree with him that we looked better when it was Berra and Chambers in there. But hey, Tommy has been a great servant and I can't believe it was Magilton who gave him his debut. There can't be many Ipswich players who have played under 4 different Managers.

So farewell then, Tommy Smith on 15:18 - Jan 19 with 5303 viewsRyorry

So farewell then, Tommy Smith on 16:33 - Jan 18 by chicoazul

Also his middle name is Jefferson. Thomas Jefferson!

And leaving on an aeroplane too I'd guess! (apols if that's already been done).

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

So farewell then, Tommy Smith on 15:44 - Jan 19 with 5254 viewsGavTWTD

http://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-news/9501/town-announce-scholars

If you liked my post, please take the time to upvote it. It's very much appreciated.
Poll: Will you watch the Championship Play-Off Final?
Blog: Man v Fat Football - A Personal Blog

So farewell then, Tommy Smith on 16:00 - Jan 19 with 5207 viewschicoazul

So farewell then, Tommy Smith on 15:44 - Jan 19 by GavTWTD

http://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-news/9501/town-announce-scholars

Jordan who?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024