Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Genuinely fcking gutted Smith has gone 19:12 - Jan 22 with 7832 viewstextbackup

Last time a player leaving made me this gutted is Tarrico, I was 12!

May not have been the best but could see what it meant to him.

So long Tommy, will always dream of a team of Tommy smiths.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Genuinely fcking gutted Smith has gone on 19:15 - Jan 22 with 6583 viewsJ2BLUE

Can't blame him for leaving a sinking ship. We're about to get rid of the manager and replace him with someone who is almost certainly not going to be as good and Evans shows no sign of changing course. We're going down in the next three seasons.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Genuinely fcking gutted Smith has gone on 19:16 - Jan 22 with 6576 viewsLuk38644

Who's reported this?

Agree Texters, Tommy may not have been the best CB we've ever had but he knew what it meant to play for us and always gave everything he had, plus is a genuinely lovely bloke.

We haven't had much cheer about over the past 10 years or so, but that goal against Norwich in the play-offs was a brilliant moment. Shrugging off other Town players to run the length of the pitch and celebrate with us Town fans.
Genuinely fcking gutted Smith has gone on 19:18 - Jan 22 with 6565 viewsDyland

May not have been the best, but if he had been he would have been playing for Man City ;)

Very underrated by some.

Fare thee well Smithers, you will be missed, and remembered very fondly. Come back and visit (and/or with your coaching badges).

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Genuinely fcking gutted Smith has gone on 19:18 - Jan 22 with 6569 viewsLuk38644

Genuinely fcking gutted Smith has gone on 19:15 - Jan 22 by J2BLUE

Can't blame him for leaving a sinking ship. We're about to get rid of the manager and replace him with someone who is almost certainly not going to be as good and Evans shows no sign of changing course. We're going down in the next three seasons.

'We're about to get rid of the manager and replace him with someone who is almost certainly not going to be as good'

A point someone made the other day was that, while our next manager almost certainly won't be as experienced as Mick, they may be a better fit for this club and our restraints. We, as a club, desperately need to take a risk to shake things up and try instigate some success. If we keep going how we are, we'll lose more fans, more money and eventually just fade away.
Genuinely fcking gutted Smith has gone on 19:20 - Jan 22 with 6541 viewsJ2BLUE

Genuinely fcking gutted Smith has gone on 19:18 - Jan 22 by Luk38644

'We're about to get rid of the manager and replace him with someone who is almost certainly not going to be as good'

A point someone made the other day was that, while our next manager almost certainly won't be as experienced as Mick, they may be a better fit for this club and our restraints. We, as a club, desperately need to take a risk to shake things up and try instigate some success. If we keep going how we are, we'll lose more fans, more money and eventually just fade away.

Agree. It seems a big gamble but I reluctantly admit it's a necessary one. Also as someone who doesn't invest time and money into attending games my opinion isn't as important anyway.

Truly impaired.

Genuinely fcking gutted Smith has gone on 19:25 - Jan 22 with 6526 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

As I’ve said for a year or two now, it’ll be the 2019/2020 season we get relegated.

Micks last year this year
Next year a struggle but ultimately prove just about good enough
2019/2020 season, with this budget, we will go down.

As for the OP.. agree 100% Texters. All I ask for is for the players, staff and owner to genuinely care. Say what you like about the squads under mick, but I’ve always believed they care. Tommy Smith epitomised that and is properly ‘one of our own’. He will come back one day to watch a game and when he’s introduced for one of those quick half time chats on the pitch, I’d hope and expect he gets a standing ovation from every single one of us. Good luck Tommy.

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Genuinely fcking gutted Smith has gone on 19:36 - Jan 22 with 6480 viewsHerbivore

Feel for you, Texters. I have a lot of love for Tommy Smith, one of the few shining lights of an otherwise pretty awful decade. He was inconsistent at times but on his day he was a very good defender at this level and a proper blue. Right time for him to go though imo, so my feelings on it are more mixed. He's had a lot of injuries and is no longer a first teamer here so it's right for us to let him go and play elsewhere.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Genuinely fcking gutted Smith has gone on 19:38 - Jan 22 with 6466 viewsTrequartista

Genuinely fcking gutted Smith has gone on 19:25 - Jan 22 by The_Romford_Blue

As I’ve said for a year or two now, it’ll be the 2019/2020 season we get relegated.

As for the OP.. agree 100% Texters. All I ask for is for the players, staff and owner to genuinely care. Say what you like about the squads under mick, but I’ve always believed they care. Tommy Smith epitomised that and is properly ‘one of our own’. He will come back one day to watch a game and when he’s introduced for one of those quick half time chats on the pitch, I’d hope and expect he gets a standing ovation from every single one of us. Good luck Tommy.

Heard it all before when Royle left and we hired a total rookie. 18 months later we were battling for the play-offs.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Login to get fewer ads

Genuinely fcking gutted Smith has gone on 19:38 - Jan 22 with 6460 viewsLuk38644

Genuinely fcking gutted Smith has gone on 19:20 - Jan 22 by J2BLUE

Agree. It seems a big gamble but I reluctantly admit it's a necessary one. Also as someone who doesn't invest time and money into attending games my opinion isn't as important anyway.

Your opinion is as valued as the next Town fan but I do think that if you saw the football on show every week, you'd be slightly more pessimistic like the rest of us!

Think most Town fans agree that a change is necessary in the summer but it is a HUGE decision and the first time since Magilton/Keane that Evans has had the chance to bring in a manager now to keep us afloat, but to progress us. I just hope they're looking and doing their homework now rather than waiting until May.
[Post edited 22 Jan 2018 20:03]
Genuinely fcking gutted Smith has gone on 19:44 - Jan 22 with 6431 viewstextbackup

I cant wait for a new man to come in, coach our players, and really improve what we see on the pitch, just so I don’t ever need to read posts stating we won’t do better than MM

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Genuinely fcking gutted Smith has gone on 19:46 - Jan 22 with 6412 viewsJ2BLUE

Genuinely fcking gutted Smith has gone on 19:44 - Jan 22 by textbackup

I cant wait for a new man to come in, coach our players, and really improve what we see on the pitch, just so I don’t ever need to read posts stating we won’t do better than MM

I really hope so.

Truly impaired.

Genuinely fcking gutted Smith has gone on 19:52 - Jan 22 with 6395 viewsbrogansnose

Agree about the Tommy bit Rommy but I don't think we'll struggle next season. I reckon that if Mick hadn't been shackled with so many long term injuries then we'd have been top 6 this season. There is the makings of a very good Championship side here especially with so many talented youngsters in the wings. Some positions need sorting out but any new manager coming in has got a good base to start from courtesy of Mick and ,unless Evans has a car boot sale, would have to be a total jizznut to mess it up.

Mind you, its highly possible that the hapless Evans will twonk it up.

Anyway, so long Tommy, I love you buh, proper Towen.
Genuinely fcking gutted Smith has gone on 21:03 - Jan 22 with 6228 viewsCurrie10

Wow.

Tarrico WAS class.

Smith!? Crikey.
Genuinely fcking gutted Smith has gone on 22:51 - Jan 22 with 6112 viewsVic

Come on Rommers - we want more than a team of tryers, we want a team of decent players who win more games than they lose. Nice,hard working but average players (which we seem to have at the moment) won’t get us up.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

on 22:53 - Jan 22 with 6107 views_

Genuinely fcking gutted Smith has gone on 22:51 - Jan 22 by Vic

Come on Rommers - we want more than a team of tryers, we want a team of decent players who win more games than they lose. Nice,hard working but average players (which we seem to have at the moment) won’t get us up.

Genuinely fcking gutted Smith has gone on 22:57 - Jan 22 with 6094 viewsLuk38644

on 22:53 - Jan 22 by _

People seem to forget that he played all season and was an integral part of our play-off season and scored 6 goals from CB.

He may not be Sergio Ramos but I think we'll miss him.
Genuinely fcking gutted Smith has gone on 23:08 - Jan 22 with 6075 viewsSuperfrans

As football squads go, this one cares more than most - it certain,y cares more than any of the squads we had under Jewell or Keane, maybe even Magilton. The togetherness in the current squad should be cherished. I don’t think they over go out to give less than their best.

And, that all comes from Mick. Like it or not.

When we don’t have Mick next season, that togetherness will begin to dissipate, it won’t go immediately, but it will start to go.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Genuinely fcking gutted Smith has gone on 23:14 - Jan 22 with 6061 viewsLuk38644

Genuinely fcking gutted Smith has gone on 23:08 - Jan 22 by Superfrans

As football squads go, this one cares more than most - it certain,y cares more than any of the squads we had under Jewell or Keane, maybe even Magilton. The togetherness in the current squad should be cherished. I don’t think they over go out to give less than their best.

When we don’t have Mick next season, that togetherness will begin to dissipate, it won’t go immediately, but it will start to go.

While I agree that the squads togetherness is a trait of Mick's that is a huge asset, it isn't exclusive to Mick and a new manager could have an equal or possibly even better effect on togetherness.

Look at Chris Wilder at Sheff Utd. He's got that squad together very well and they seem a really tight knit unit. Not saying let's get Wilder of course but other managers can achieve it.
Genuinely fcking gutted Smith has gone on 23:19 - Jan 22 with 6042 viewsRyorry

Genuinely fcking gutted Smith has gone on 23:14 - Jan 22 by Luk38644

While I agree that the squads togetherness is a trait of Mick's that is a huge asset, it isn't exclusive to Mick and a new manager could have an equal or possibly even better effect on togetherness.

Look at Chris Wilder at Sheff Utd. He's got that squad together very well and they seem a really tight knit unit. Not saying let's get Wilder of course but other managers can achieve it.

Quite - and it's not as tho previous ITFC managers haven't had such togetherness - SBR of course, Royle & Burley in particular.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Genuinely fcking gutted Smith has gone on 23:21 - Jan 22 with 6030 viewsbraveblue

Not as good!!!!!
Genuinely fcking gutted Smith has gone on 23:23 - Jan 22 with 6021 viewsLuk38644

Genuinely fcking gutted Smith has gone on 23:19 - Jan 22 by Ryorry

Quite - and it's not as tho previous ITFC managers haven't had such togetherness - SBR of course, Royle & Burley in particular.

I would argue that it is the trait of any successful manager. Find that next 'successful' manager is going to be a huge task for Evans and one I don't have faith he will succeed in.

I just hope they're doing their homework now and not waiting until May!
Genuinely fcking gutted Smith has gone on 23:24 - Jan 22 with 6013 viewstractorboy1978

Genuinely fcking gutted Smith has gone on 23:08 - Jan 22 by Superfrans

I think Chambers is absolutely integral to that. You only have to read the article Stephen Hunt wrote 9 months or so back where he said he's the best captain he has ever played with. And we all saw how he was treated last season.
[Post edited 22 Jan 2018 23:29]
Genuinely fcking gutted Smith has gone on 23:35 - Jan 22 with 5973 viewsSuperTommySmith

I can't think of the last player I was this sad about.

Murph I kind of wanted him to retire with us, but with the loan spells he only had 4-5 years with us so wasn't as long term as Smith.
Mings I didn't really care as I thought it was hilarious we were getting that amount of money for him.
Cresswell you knew his time had come and he deserved to play at a higher level.
Wickham was understandable as you can't turn down that amount of money and you wish he could have just stayed a little longer.
Supple was frustrating due to the reasons it turned out he left for. Reflecting on the team, not him.

You have players like De Vos who retired here, and Wilnis who I think he did? So their careers had run their length.

I guess perhaps the combination of having the spine of our team ripped out in Davis, Miller, Kuqi and Bent was pretty rough.

I only first started supporting Ipswich in 03/04. Had this username since 2010. So going through all those players I think this is the most sad one for me. I think the quote "I have worked with the head coach at Colorado, Anthony Hudson, with New Zealand and he made it clear he wanted me to be part of his plans." is pretty telling. Mick lost interest in him. If he had been in the team and playing then maybe he wouldn't have been so keen on this opportunity.

I find it bemusing people go on about Tommy being injury prone when Webster looks an awful lot worse in that regards, although Webster is the better player. I would have been interested to see Smith on the left and Webster on the right. But Mick clearly wasn't interested.
Chambers can only have 2-3 years left in him max, whilst if Tommy can recover from the rough 18 months injury wise he could have had 5 or so.

So yeah I'm pretty sad about this. A fantastic opportunity for Tommy and hope it works out well for him.
[Post edited 22 Jan 2018 23:36]
Genuinely fcking gutted Smith has gone on 23:40 - Jan 22 with 5971 viewskessinglandblue

Probably shows the worrying current state of the club that people are bothered about a bang average championship defender past his best moving on.

Nice bloke and all that & I hope he enjoys his retirement but let’s not blow this out of proportion.

I very much doubt we will ever look back in a few months time when it’s going tits and think “if only we still had Tommy Smith”

Useful squad player - would be an accurate footnote.
Genuinely fcking gutted Smith has gone on 04:44 - Jan 23 with 5840 viewsBenters2

Rubbish you and Rommy are always saying *Mick Mac goes we are going down* you dont know that,something needs to happen at the club as it really is so stale at the mo.

Regarding Tommy Smith,yes its a sad day but i hope he does well on his new adventure.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024