Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Just seen this 12:23 - Mar 17 with 49644 viewsRoyKeanesDog

6 deaths at Cheltenham this year under severe suspicion of neglect.

Owners are so desperate not to lose money they make the horses race when they know there's a strong chance of them dieing. Really is a brutal 'sport'.

I just don't know how people can go there and support this cruelty for 'entertaimment' and then go home and sleep at night.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but hey I think animal cruelty should stop.

Poll: Best Football Song

Just seen this on 13:07 - Mar 17 with 13255 viewsmonytowbray

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Just seen this on 13:08 - Mar 17 with 13250 viewsmonytowbray

But on a serious note I have no idea why anyone would want to support anything that hurts any living creature.

TWTD never forgets…

on 13:24 - Mar 17 with 13192 views_

Just seen this on 13:26 - Mar 17 with 13185 viewsunbelievablue

Just seen this on 13:08 - Mar 17 by monytowbray

But on a serious note I have no idea why anyone would want to support anything that hurts any living creature.

That's cos you're close minded.

Le meilleur des mondes possibles
Poll: When booking a reservation at a restaurant/bar, do you give...

Just seen this on 13:41 - Mar 17 with 13136 viewsbluebud

...any horse death is bad news.

...jump racing is bad and all fences should be reduced in height. I'd personally be in favour of only flat racing. Horses legs are comparitively brittle and putting fences in front of them is absolutely primitive, cruel and greedy.

However as far as I'm concerned flat racing is fine (yes there are casualties but a lot less). Horse welfare in general is world class and there's no doubt that racing has helped horses in general (welfare, bloodlines). I fear without organised racing that horses would have suffered globally. Horses just aren't suited to non agricultural economies or modern times in fact.

Without racing there would almost no need for horses on a large scale - and frankly I fear they would be exposed to even more cruelty, poor conditions and profiteering (horse meat scandal).
Just seen this on 13:42 - Mar 17 with 13130 viewsfactual_blue

As I understand leaving the EU is going to finish the horse racing industry, the problem will be solved.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Just seen this on 13:46 - Mar 17 with 13108 viewsgerard1947

It sickens me, I admit to looking the other way, I won't watch replays of Cheltenham or any other National Hunt on TV. Magnificent creatures as such do not deserve an end like that.

What happens to ordinary flat horses after racing is worth researching, being made to race as "babies" often wrecks them in later life. Some find themselves converted to National Hunt, but most don't have a particularly long or nice life as they usually don't make good hacks.
[Post edited 17 Mar 2018 13:49]
Just seen this on 13:53 - Mar 17 with 13074 viewsbluebud

Just seen this on 13:42 - Mar 17 by factual_blue

As I understand leaving the EU is going to finish the horse racing industry, the problem will be solved.

...finish the industry? Could you explain why please?

If its horse free movement then I don't believe so. There may be some adjusting of race dates, prize money in the worst case scenario. Most high end stables and trainers have stables or arrangements in all three countries.

The vast majority of day to day racing in mainland Britain feature British horses.

Adjustments perhaps..........finished? Utter rubbish I'm afraid.
Login to get fewer ads

Just seen this on 14:15 - Mar 17 with 12992 viewsRyorry

It's a shame you didn't bother to look at the thread where several of us discussed this sad situation, and several options for reducing the falls rate (one of which was on the flat) yesterday, instead of continuing to post up incorrect & disingenuous stuff - not for the first time recently. I always had you down as a decent poster before that.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Just seen this on 14:17 - Mar 17 with 12968 viewsfactual_blue

Just seen this on 13:53 - Mar 17 by bluebud

...finish the industry? Could you explain why please?

If its horse free movement then I don't believe so. There may be some adjusting of race dates, prize money in the worst case scenario. Most high end stables and trainers have stables or arrangements in all three countries.

The vast majority of day to day racing in mainland Britain feature British horses.

Adjustments perhaps..........finished? Utter rubbish I'm afraid.

Well, it was in the daily brexit, so it must be true.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Just seen this on 14:28 - Mar 17 with 12925 viewsgerard1947

Just seen this on 13:41 - Mar 17 by bluebud

...any horse death is bad news.

...jump racing is bad and all fences should be reduced in height. I'd personally be in favour of only flat racing. Horses legs are comparitively brittle and putting fences in front of them is absolutely primitive, cruel and greedy.

However as far as I'm concerned flat racing is fine (yes there are casualties but a lot less). Horse welfare in general is world class and there's no doubt that racing has helped horses in general (welfare, bloodlines). I fear without organised racing that horses would have suffered globally. Horses just aren't suited to non agricultural economies or modern times in fact.

Without racing there would almost no need for horses on a large scale - and frankly I fear they would be exposed to even more cruelty, poor conditions and profiteering (horse meat scandal).

The welfare of horses is a problem in the U.K. There is an aurgument that the slaughter of unwanted horses for food would be beneficial. As it stands they are often seen as valueless and left to die.

A friend of mine found a young horse tethered to a weight literally dying on its feet. She reported it to the RSPCA who said if they took it it would be destroyed as they are impossible to rehome. She brought it food and water, a chap stopped his car said it was his and she could have it.

With no experience of horses, she rescued it, paid its livery and called her Hope. The horse has become a magnificant animal, the rescuer has learned to ride. They look great together, one success against lots of failures I'm afraid.
Just seen this on 14:51 - Mar 17 with 12889 viewsbluebud

Just seen this on 14:17 - Mar 17 by factual_blue

Well, it was in the daily brexit, so it must be true.

...thanks for your input...you come across really sophisticated and knowledgable. I appreciate it.
Just seen this on 14:53 - Mar 17 with 12883 viewsbluebud

Just seen this on 14:15 - Mar 17 by Ryorry

It's a shame you didn't bother to look at the thread where several of us discussed this sad situation, and several options for reducing the falls rate (one of which was on the flat) yesterday, instead of continuing to post up incorrect & disingenuous stuff - not for the first time recently. I always had you down as a decent poster before that.

I'm not sure if this is directed at me. I was working yesterday so I didnt see it.
Just seen this on 15:12 - Mar 17 with 12840 viewsAce_High1

Can you bet on how many will die at each event?
Just seen this on 15:28 - Mar 17 with 12808 viewsJ2BLUE

There is certainly, to some extent, blood on the hands of everyone who supports the event through attendance or betting. I bet on it. I will go on betting on it. I know that makes me partly responsible. Haven't got time to post a detailed reply right now.

Is the suspicion of severe neglect stuff actually true or the way you're trolling?

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Just seen this on 15:31 - Mar 17 with 12803 viewsWD19

Just seen this on 15:12 - Mar 17 by Ace_High1

Can you bet on how many will die at each event?

I ran the office Grand National sweepstake one year and offered a secondary prize for the first horse to be shot. HR were not impressed.
Just seen this on 16:01 - Mar 17 with 12741 viewsmonytowbray

Just seen this on 13:26 - Mar 17 by unbelievablue

That's cos you're close minded.

I enjoyed it more when I was on your div list.

TWTD never forgets…

Just seen this on 16:02 - Mar 17 with 12734 viewsRyorry

Just seen this on 14:53 - Mar 17 by bluebud

I'm not sure if this is directed at me. I was working yesterday so I didnt see it.

No, absolutely not at you.

Just seen this on 16:04 - Mar 17 with 12728 viewsRyorry

Just seen this on 15:28 - Mar 17 by J2BLUE

There is certainly, to some extent, blood on the hands of everyone who supports the event through attendance or betting. I bet on it. I will go on betting on it. I know that makes me partly responsible. Haven't got time to post a detailed reply right now.

Is the suspicion of severe neglect stuff actually true or the way you're trolling?

Having been on the inside of several yards, and having two equine vet friends who are regularly on duty at race meetings (both jumps and flat) I can confirm that it's 100% untrue.

Just seen this on 16:07 - Mar 17 with 12715 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

on 13:24 - Mar 17 by _

It’s only 1 in 400 though. Only

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Just seen this on 16:10 - Mar 17 with 12700 viewsmonytowbray

Just seen this on 16:07 - Mar 17 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

They respect your right to be anti-animal cruelty so you should respect their right to bet on horses dying though.

TWTD never forgets…

Just seen this on 16:15 - Mar 17 with 12680 viewsRyorry

Just seen this on 13:46 - Mar 17 by gerard1947

It sickens me, I admit to looking the other way, I won't watch replays of Cheltenham or any other National Hunt on TV. Magnificent creatures as such do not deserve an end like that.

What happens to ordinary flat horses after racing is worth researching, being made to race as "babies" often wrecks them in later life. Some find themselves converted to National Hunt, but most don't have a particularly long or nice life as they usually don't make good hacks.
[Post edited 17 Mar 2018 13:49]

I agree with you re 2-year olds (tho the usual explan is "they're bred for it") & would at least restrict this, or put better safeguards in place such as vet examinations of each individual for skeletal structure, bone density etc.

Many flat horses do go on to retrain for other things such as dressage, show-jumping, hacking etc, tho I don't know what the specific stats are.

Just seen this on 16:27 - Mar 17 with 12645 viewsGollum

Just seen this on 16:04 - Mar 17 by Ryorry

Having been on the inside of several yards, and having two equine vet friends who are regularly on duty at race meetings (both jumps and flat) I can confirm that it's 100% untrue.

There is no doubt that non racing people need educating on just how well race horses are looked after. Instead of listening to the hysteria of animal rights people.
Just seen this on 16:28 - Mar 17 with 12636 viewsAce_High1

400/1? Lump on!!!
Just seen this on 16:30 - Mar 17 with 12627 viewsgerard1947

I was wondering how many horses run during Cheltenham? I thought 30 races by say an average of 15 per race, what's that 450ish. There were 6 horses killed this time, so that's 1 horse died for every 75 taking part. Some years it's higher some it's lower. Of course this doesn't count horses that die in training which of course some do.

Can we justify this total as an acceptable level in what is entertainment after all. Personally I think not.
[Post edited 17 Mar 2018 16:41]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024