Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Looking to buy a watch 08:23 - Mar 21 with 78112 viewsJakeITFC

Any recommendations of brands to go for or avoid?

Looking to spend <£1k so am I better to look second hand for a better brand on Watchfinder or buy a top end model from a lesser brand? Any up and comers you’d recommend?

In terms of model I’m thinking a sports type watch - Rolex Seamaster type thing.
Looking to buy a watch on 14:01 - Mar 21 with 2512 viewsBrixtonBlue

Looking to buy a watch on 13:45 - Mar 21 by Lord_Lucan

20 fags a day is getting on for £4000 pa

I wouldn't know.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Looking to buy a watch on 14:01 - Mar 21 with 2501 viewsGlasgowBlue

Looking to buy a watch on 13:58 - Mar 21 by itfcjoe

Spending £1000 on a phone isn't necessary though?

Indeed. You can get a basic phone from Tesco for twenty quid.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Looking to buy a watch on 14:02 - Mar 21 with 2506 viewsDarth_Koont

Looking to buy a watch on 13:58 - Mar 21 by itfcjoe

Spending £1000 on a phone isn't necessary though?

No, not for me. But having a phone is so at least it's in the ballpark of reasonable for something people use all the time.

Pronouns: He/Him

Looking to buy a watch on 14:02 - Mar 21 with 2503 viewsNewcyBlue

Looking to buy a watch on 13:57 - Mar 21 by itfcjoe

A really good price for a really good watch - how is the training going?

It was an Amazon daily deal.

We got a new PCB for the treadmill. They sent the wrong one.

Training has stalled a bit. How are you feeling about the London Landmarks?

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Looking to buy a watch on 14:02 - Mar 21 with 2501 viewsThrobbe

I do own a nice automatic watch, and that's mainly because I'm an engineering geek who likes the idea of a nice movement on his wrist.

I am finding some of the justifications amusing (on both sides of the argument.

Personally I find a lot of modern watches vulgar, but that trend of bigger is better seems to be passing. Similarly, I would avoid the usual Rolex/Omega/Tag crowd, as you're just copying everyone else. That said, an early 60's Seamaster would be in your price range, and I like them - https://www.chrono24.co.uk/omega/seamaster-automatic--id7561123.htm

Consider Christopher Ward. Started as a British company looking to make affordable quality watches, and have drifted from that slightly, but I like this - https://www.christopherward.co.uk/c5-malvern-595-5

Very elegant, and a handwound movement is unusual, even if it's bought in from someone else (which at that price point, most watches will be assembled from stock movements).

TWTD Cycling Herbert

Looking to buy a watch on 14:04 - Mar 21 with 2498 viewsitfcjoe

Looking to buy a watch on 13:59 - Mar 21 by BrixtonBlue

No, because the watch is on top of that lot. Presumably you still go out throughout the year as well (as how else could you show off your watch?)

Taking your family on a holiday to Disneyland will be far more rewarding for them (and you probably) - the experience, the relaxation away from 'real' life etc. than wearing a watch that doesn't tell the time very well.

You're probably right, I probably wouldn't notice it if you weren't being flash with it. It's the whole concept I find vulgar. A bunch of blokes standing around comparing timepieces (and I imagine asking what car you're driving now) only adds to that vulgarity to me.

Maybe it's just not my world.

But is it more wasteful to spend £5k on a watch that will be worth £6k in a few years time or £10k on a holiday which will be over in 2 weeks?

It's nice to be able to afford both, but mine was a present and it is a nice safety net knowing that however bad things got I have effectively a last resort item of savings that could get me out of trouble.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Looking to buy a watch on 14:05 - Mar 21 with 2487 viewsitfcjoe

Looking to buy a watch on 14:02 - Mar 21 by NewcyBlue

It was an Amazon daily deal.

We got a new PCB for the treadmill. They sent the wrong one.

Training has stalled a bit. How are you feeling about the London Landmarks?

Not that confident - did 10 miles a few weeks back but not done enough since. I'll get round but any targets I had on time are out the window!

Will save myself for Ipswich Half to try and get a good time and just try to enjoy this one!

Looking to buy a watch on 14:06 - Mar 21 with 2486 viewsThrobbe

Looking to buy a watch on 13:50 - Mar 21 by Bluespeed225

Got a vintage Fabre Leuvre from Canada, understated, classic non showy. Considering a 60;s Seiko Sportsman, one of the first Jap mass produced quality watches. Omega Seamaster, 1960's does float my boat though!

We clearly have similar tastes. Check the link in my previous post. A little overpriced, but lovely.

TWTD Cycling Herbert

Login to get fewer ads

Looking to buy a watch on 14:07 - Mar 21 with 2482 viewsNewcyBlue

Looking to buy a watch on 14:05 - Mar 21 by itfcjoe

Not that confident - did 10 miles a few weeks back but not done enough since. I'll get round but any targets I had on time are out the window!

Will save myself for Ipswich Half to try and get a good time and just try to enjoy this one!

Ipswich half is the Great East?

Already got my hotel booked for that. I am looking forward to that one.

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Looking to buy a watch on 14:09 - Mar 21 with 2480 viewsDarth_Koont

Looking to buy a watch on 14:04 - Mar 21 by itfcjoe

But is it more wasteful to spend £5k on a watch that will be worth £6k in a few years time or £10k on a holiday which will be over in 2 weeks?

It's nice to be able to afford both, but mine was a present and it is a nice safety net knowing that however bad things got I have effectively a last resort item of savings that could get me out of trouble.

I know nothing about watches as an investment but is the market really there?

Seems like every man and his dog can get an expensive watch today and if Lucan's right that they're being sold second-hand for peanuts in Japan ... then it's a market that's in danger of disappearing.

Same thing happened to vintage couture where very few clothes have any collectable value. Basically because the market as a whole is so saturated with products.

Looking to buy a watch on 14:09 - Mar 21 with 2481 viewsusm

Looking to buy a watch on 12:31 - Mar 21 by imsureazzure

You don't wear Crocs then? A lot of chefs do.

Hahaha, you can certainly tell what sort of man wears Crocs.

FOYSC
Poll: Did Broad just get a hat trick without realising ?

Looking to buy a watch on 14:17 - Mar 21 with 2456 viewsLord_Lucan

Looking to buy a watch on 14:09 - Mar 21 by Darth_Koont

I know nothing about watches as an investment but is the market really there?

Seems like every man and his dog can get an expensive watch today and if Lucan's right that they're being sold second-hand for peanuts in Japan ... then it's a market that's in danger of disappearing.

Same thing happened to vintage couture where very few clothes have any collectable value. Basically because the market as a whole is so saturated with products.

But the Japan thing has been going on for years. The Koi dealer I know was doing it in the 80's. I was in the cafe last week with my mate and he was telling me about his friend that was going to Japan to buy some Rolex's. I mentioned that I knew someone that used to do that and by quite a big coincidence it turned out that the two were going together.

Very strange as the two people live in completely different towns.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Looking to buy a watch on 14:26 - Mar 21 with 2436 viewsSpruceMoose

*makes note of who would be worth mugging on this board...

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Looking to buy a watch on 14:27 - Mar 21 with 2434 viewsDarth_Koont

Looking to buy a watch on 14:17 - Mar 21 by Lord_Lucan

But the Japan thing has been going on for years. The Koi dealer I know was doing it in the 80's. I was in the cafe last week with my mate and he was telling me about his friend that was going to Japan to buy some Rolex's. I mentioned that I knew someone that used to do that and by quite a big coincidence it turned out that the two were going together.

Very strange as the two people live in completely different towns.

Fair enough. Still, a major market where the value is completely different and the product could have been easily shipped anywhere? I don't like the sound of watches as a long-term investment.

Looking to buy a watch on 14:32 - Mar 21 with 2423 viewsLord_Lucan

Looking to buy a watch on 14:27 - Mar 21 by Darth_Koont

Fair enough. Still, a major market where the value is completely different and the product could have been easily shipped anywhere? I don't like the sound of watches as a long-term investment.

It wouldn't be my thing and I would probably never buy a very expensive watch, but that's a personal thing. Mind you, I would never splash a load of cash on a car. I'm not really into material things, mind you I have spent a fortune on clothes over the years. Other than clothes I would rather waste my money on holidays and fun and frolicking, The Man can't take that away from you.

I don't understand why this Japan situation is like it is - but it is.

Quite baffling to me.
[Post edited 21 Mar 2018 14:34]

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Looking to buy a watch on 14:40 - Mar 21 with 2397 viewsDarth_Koont

Looking to buy a watch on 14:32 - Mar 21 by Lord_Lucan

It wouldn't be my thing and I would probably never buy a very expensive watch, but that's a personal thing. Mind you, I would never splash a load of cash on a car. I'm not really into material things, mind you I have spent a fortune on clothes over the years. Other than clothes I would rather waste my money on holidays and fun and frolicking, The Man can't take that away from you.

I don't understand why this Japan situation is like it is - but it is.

Quite baffling to me.
[Post edited 21 Mar 2018 14:34]

Same here. I enjoy some stuff but my idea of luxury probably stops at "a bit nicer". Any more than that when the price starts accelerating wildly for little apparent gain and I'm just conscious of being fleeced/fleecing myself.

I was out for a meal the other day, which ended up being a bit fancy. Couldn't get it out of my head how much I'd really have preferred something as basic as a nice zingy cheddar ploughman's and a pint or a good curry. Plus I could have done that about 7 times for the same price!!

Looking to buy a watch on 14:48 - Mar 21 with 2375 viewsLord_Lucan

Looking to buy a watch on 14:40 - Mar 21 by Darth_Koont

Same here. I enjoy some stuff but my idea of luxury probably stops at "a bit nicer". Any more than that when the price starts accelerating wildly for little apparent gain and I'm just conscious of being fleeced/fleecing myself.

I was out for a meal the other day, which ended up being a bit fancy. Couldn't get it out of my head how much I'd really have preferred something as basic as a nice zingy cheddar ploughman's and a pint or a good curry. Plus I could have done that about 7 times for the same price!!

Koont!

Are we bonding?

Looking to buy a watch on 14:53 - Mar 21 with 2366 viewsitfcjoe

Looking to buy a watch on 14:07 - Mar 21 by NewcyBlue

Ipswich half is the Great East?

Already got my hotel booked for that. I am looking forward to that one.

Yep, that's it

Looking to buy a watch on 14:56 - Mar 21 with 2359 viewsitfcjoe

Looking to buy a watch on 14:27 - Mar 21 by Darth_Koont

I'm not saying it is a great investment, more that out of luxury goods it is probably the one that holds it's value best.

I remember speaking to an ex-ITFC player just after I had got mine, he had the same Rolex - he had a £2k bonus early in his career for being top scorer at a club in 3rd or 4th division and wanted to treat himself to something. Was recommended that because of the fact it held it's value.

At the time was a young footballer not certain to make it in the game, so best to do something with some potential long term value than put towards a car, or holiday, or clothes etc.

Looking to buy a watch on 14:57 - Mar 21 with 2357 viewschicoazul

Congratulations to all the class warriors and Communists on this thread as always.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Looking to buy a watch on 15:11 - Mar 21 with 2337 viewsBluespeed225

Looking to buy a watch on 14:06 - Mar 21 by Throbbe

We clearly have similar tastes. Check the link in my previous post. A little overpriced, but lovely.

i think they're great, bit of a Bond connection! Tudor are another, Rolex quality, same company. i can see how people get sucked in, plus they don't take up much room so The Missus can't moan!
Looking to buy a watch on 15:11 - Mar 21 with 2337 viewsBrixtonBlue

Looking to buy a watch on 14:04 - Mar 21 by itfcjoe

It's interesting, I've never thought of a watch as an investment. But then, aren't there other, better, methods of investing that £5k? You're going to need to insure it on top of that cost as well.

Regarding the holiday, it could be an experience that betters you as a person. I would personally say having an expensive watch on your wrist would be more wasteful to me than a life-enriching experience.

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Looking to buy a watch on 15:14 - Mar 21 with 2329 viewsBrixtonBlue

Looking to buy a watch on 14:01 - Mar 21 by GlasgowBlue

Indeed. You can get a basic phone from Tesco for twenty quid.

That's not comparable to a smart phone though, that are increasingly moving from a luxury to a necessity.

Looking to buy a watch on 15:16 - Mar 21 with 2323 viewsitfcjoe

Looking to buy a watch on 15:11 - Mar 21 by BrixtonBlue

It's interesting, I've never thought of a watch as an investment. But then, aren't there other, better, methods of investing that £5k? You're going to need to insure it on top of that cost as well.

Regarding the holiday, it could be an experience that betters you as a person. I would personally say having an expensive watch on your wrist would be more wasteful to me than a life-enriching experience.

How many of your holidays are genuine life enriching experiences though?

Obviously £5k trekking the Macchu Pichu trial and finiding yourself is different to £3k to go all inclusive to greece for a couple of weeks for some sun and to relax.

As I've said, I'm fortunate to have been able to have a watch and holidays etc - but having received mine as a gift for my 21st, I can't think of a better use of the £2k it cost my parents in our situation. If they'd have given it to me I wouldn't have watsed it - but 'd have ended up with a new laptop, or a holiday, or similar which would most likely long be forgotten or thrown away by now

Looking to buy a watch on 15:17 - Mar 21 with 2322 viewshype313

Looking to buy a watch on 15:11 - Mar 21 by BrixtonBlue

To be honest there is a valid argument for both really, a good investment is always a wise option and as Joe says, if the proverbial hits the fan then it's never a bad thing to have a get out of jail card, but equally a life enriching holiday can be a real tonic culturally, mentally and physically.

They are not mutually exclusive.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024