Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Colin Viljoen 08:55 - May 22 with 35643 viewsLord_Lucan

I started watching Ipswich late in 1975 and don't remember much about Viljoen, I think he must have been injured a lot?

Since the Blue Heaven thing I have been thinking about him. I always got the feeling that he never really mixed much with the rest of the team and was a bit aloof.

Anyone got any stories or comments on him?

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Colin Viljoen on 07:57 - Apr 26 with 4079 viewsChurchman

Colin Viljoen on 20:02 - Apr 9 by longtimefan

I also remember that Man U match well as it was the very first time I went to a first team match. Got to sit on the side of pitch with the other small kids who otherwise wouldn’t have seen a thing!
[Post edited 9 Apr 2019 20:05]

I was at the game too and as a 10 year old, stood on a footstool! Colin Viljoen was a lovely player and it was all rather sad how his career ended with Ipswich.
Colin Viljoen on 17:33 - Apr 26 with 3980 viewsBehindBlueEyes

I love these type of threads, they bring back some great memories. I'm pretty much the same as Lucan, my first game was around Xmas in 74 so didn't really get to see much of Ace.

Also great Leon has taken the time to add to the thread and share some of his memories.

Cracking read chaps!

Blog: Kundai Benyu – The Golden Shot?

Colin Viljoen on 11:42 - Jan 11 with 3681 viewsSuperfrans

Colin Viljoen on 09:26 - May 22 by Bluespeed225

Think he got a bit of time in 78/9, think there’s a goal at Man City on MOTD footage? Wasn’t he bought in as the Cobbolds ‘gardener’ in 66’ to get round Visa laws or whatever we had then? Known as ‘Ace’ by Robson, maybe self given, probably had a bit of that Afrikaan arrogance about him that didn’t sit well with the lads. Don’t know about D’avray! There’s footage (maybe used in the upcoming SBR film) in 72/3 of the lads leaving the dressing room, as Robson says ‘cmon Ace’, while Colin is doing his hair in the mirror
There’s a picture in the Daily Mail ‘footballers cars’ article from a few years back of him. For some reason he has a toy penguin on the car!

Slightly random reviving of this post. Just having a discussion about Viljoen, Googled him re. the Villa game - and you helped me win the bet!

Love the story about his car and refusing to drive players to training... 😂😂😂

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Colin Viljoen on 12:40 - Jan 11 with 3635 views66notout

Colin Viljoen on 08:31 - May 23 by itfcjoe

I've heard more that it was just local boys who didn't get a chance, a couple of whom happened to be black in Louie and Ruel. We were much more interested in North East and Scotland rather than what was on our doorstep.

It didn't serve us badly, but may have been unpopular with the better boys in the area.

Who are the black boys “who didn’t get a chance” at Ipswich then went on to have careers in football? Could it not have simply been a case of Town not rating them highly enough and being proved correct by subsequent events?
Colin Viljoen on 13:09 - Jan 11 with 3607 viewsSharkey

Colin Viljoen on 15:58 - Apr 9 by Father_Jack

You've forgotten under-rated midfield genius Ian Collard.

When I was a kid I had some American Civil War toy soldiers, made by Britains. All the officers, Union or Confederate, were clearly Ian Collard.
Colin Viljoen on 13:37 - Jan 12 with 3530 viewsChurchman

Colin Viljoen on 12:40 - Jan 11 by 66notout

Who are the black boys “who didn’t get a chance” at Ipswich then went on to have careers in football? Could it not have simply been a case of Town not rating them highly enough and being proved correct by subsequent events?

Black players were rare in this country in those days. Clyde Best was one of the first that I remember, but it was mid/late 70s with the WBA players, the late Justin Fashanu that black players really began to make a real impact. Steve Stacey and John Miller were the first two I remember at Ipswich. I never saw Stacey play, but my grandad did and reckoned he was poor. I did see Miller and basically, he wasn’t good enough. As far as Donowa and Fox goes, Towns hunting ground was mainly the North East and Scotland so I think they were just ‘missed’.
Colin Viljoen on 14:07 - Jan 12 with 3511 viewsjaykay

Colin Viljoen on 13:37 - Jan 12 by Churchman

Black players were rare in this country in those days. Clyde Best was one of the first that I remember, but it was mid/late 70s with the WBA players, the late Justin Fashanu that black players really began to make a real impact. Steve Stacey and John Miller were the first two I remember at Ipswich. I never saw Stacey play, but my grandad did and reckoned he was poor. I did see Miller and basically, he wasn’t good enough. As far as Donowa and Fox goes, Towns hunting ground was mainly the North East and Scotland so I think they were just ‘missed’.

how you can tell if a player is poor, when he only played 3 games for ipswich is beyond me and if memory serves me right he was injured in the 3rd game
the first black player i remember is leeds Albert Johanneson

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Colin Viljoen on 15:03 - Jan 12 with 3483 viewsPJH

Colin Viljoen on 14:07 - Jan 12 by jaykay

how you can tell if a player is poor, when he only played 3 games for ipswich is beyond me and if memory serves me right he was injured in the 3rd game

Steve Stacey was injured in his first game.
Login to get fewer ads

Colin Viljoen on 15:12 - Jan 12 with 3469 viewsjaykay

Colin Viljoen on 15:03 - Jan 12 by PJH

Steve Stacey was injured in his first game.

so my memory was a bit out lol. so he only played 2 and a bit games for the town, very hard for anyone to make a judgement on him.

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Colin Viljoen on 18:16 - Jan 12 with 3427 viewsChurchman

Colin Viljoen on 14:07 - Jan 12 by jaykay

Oh I never saw Stacey play and it was such a long time ago I may well have that wrong (my grandad died in 1974!!). Miller I certainly did see a play, including in a friendly at Bedford Town of all things. He wasn’t the best
Colin Viljoen on 18:28 - Jan 12 with 3416 viewsPJH

Colin Viljoen on 18:16 - Jan 12 by Churchman

Oh I never saw Stacey play and it was such a long time ago I may well have that wrong (my grandad died in 1974!!). Miller I certainly did see a play, including in a friendly at Bedford Town of all things. He wasn’t the best

Johnny Miller was actually being touted for the England squad in 1971/72 when he made 31 of his 43 starts for us so he wasn't too bad.

We played Bedford Town in a friendly in May 1971.
Colin Viljoen on 18:32 - Jan 12 with 3412 viewsjeera

Colin Viljoen on 18:28 - Jan 12 by PJH

Johnny Miller was actually being touted for the England squad in 1971/72 when he made 31 of his 43 starts for us so he wasn't too bad.

We played Bedford Town in a friendly in May 1971.

Not to mention an olympic champion and a great Tarzan.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Colin Viljoen on 20:35 - Jan 12 with 3368 viewsTheSelkirk

Colin Viljoen on 18:32 - Jan 12 by jeera

Not to mention an olympic champion and a great Tarzan.

There are two things thou must know about Johnny Weissmuller...

One, he is a muller. Two...
Colin Viljoen on 20:52 - Jan 12 with 3350 viewsjeera

Colin Viljoen on 20:35 - Jan 12 by TheSelkirk

There are two things thou must know about Johnny Weissmuller...

One, he is a muller. Two...

He is ...

a woman!

Oh, no. Wrong sketch. Sorry.

Colin Viljoen on 22:38 - Jan 12 with 3317 viewsChurchman

Colin Viljoen on 20:52 - Jan 12 by jeera

He is ...

a woman!

Oh, no. Wrong sketch. Sorry.

Ahh the wise woman from Blackadder. No apology needed even if it was a ‘wild stab in the dark’
Colin Viljoen on 22:40 - Jan 12 with 3316 viewsjeera

Colin Viljoen on 22:38 - Jan 12 by Churchman

Ahh the wise woman from Blackadder. No apology needed even if it was a ‘wild stab in the dark’

"Which is exactly what you'll be..."

No you won't. Just going with it.

Colin Viljoen on 22:43 - Jan 12 with 3309 viewsChurchman

Colin Viljoen on 22:40 - Jan 12 by jeera

"Which is exactly what you'll be..."

No you won't. Just going with it.

If you don’t...
Colin Viljoen on 22:51 - Jan 12 with 3306 viewsjeera

Colin Viljoen on 22:43 - Jan 12 by Churchman

If you don’t...

Heh. Nice touch from Selkirk there.

Made me smile. His timing was spot on.

Colin Viljoen on 22:53 - Jan 12 with 3305 viewsnoel

Colin Viljoen on 21:50 - May 22 by jaykay

well i have never heard that said about the town , everton yes

agreed, never heard such a thing and I’ve been going since 1967
Colin Viljoen on 23:10 - Jan 12 with 3295 viewsnoel

Colin Viljoen on 22:53 - Jan 12 by noel

agreed, never heard such a thing and I’ve been going since 1967

Interesting thread about my favourite itfc player. Superb player in an era where there were so many skilful players. I think we all have a special place in our hearts for our first ipswich team and for me it was the team of 67/68 that won the old div 2 title that season. Obviously the great side of 81 eclipsed them but CV was a standout player in the team for several seasons.
Colin Viljoen on 00:06 - Jul 13 with 2344 viewsleon_viljoen

Colin Viljoen on 23:10 - Jan 12 by noel

Interesting thread about my favourite itfc player. Superb player in an era where there were so many skilful players. I think we all have a special place in our hearts for our first ipswich team and for me it was the team of 67/68 that won the old div 2 title that season. Obviously the great side of 81 eclipsed them but CV was a standout player in the team for several seasons.

Sad sad this life seems so short! It flies by you and the memories are all that remain. I haven’t heard from him now in almost 2 years… Fearfull on getting news now. We have still been close and in contact with one of his old best friends Dave Johnson who my mom stayed close with his wife Liverpool… But apparently she’s heard nothing of him either. My mother now is very ill with severe Alzheimer’s and we just had to put her in a home to… sad how life goes. Laugh often, share stories, and reflect on the memories. - Leon
Colin Viljoen on 07:32 - Jul 13 with 2241 viewsTangledupin_Blue

Colin Viljoen on 05:20 - May 23 by shamboy

No, it is true.
There were some very talented black schoolboys around the town at the time, but none were given a fair chance when they trialled at Ipswich. It was a bone of contention in the black community for many years, but rarely spoken about outside that group.
Speak to any of the key people from Caribbeans FC from that time if you want the truth.

As for Viljoen, tremendous player so smooth on the ball but who can honestly say they have ever met a nice white South African. Their sense of entitlement is legendary.
[Post edited 23 May 2018 5:22]

I have met several thoroughly decent white South Africans going back to the early seventies. They were appalled and ashamed of the apartheid system.

Poll: Which Two Will Gain Automatic Promotion?

Colin Viljoen on 07:47 - Jul 13 with 2217 viewsBeattie78

Colin Viljoen on 07:32 - Jul 13 by Tangledupin_Blue

I have met several thoroughly decent white South Africans going back to the early seventies. They were appalled and ashamed of the apartheid system.

Of course there were decent, even brave, white south Africans who opposed apartheid. Nevertheless, I'm reminded of the old 'Spitting Image' song
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2urkuf

LexdenBlue62

Colin Viljoen on 08:06 - Jul 13 with 2198 viewsmikeybloo88

I was never aware that Viljoen was unpopular, but I was probably too young to worry much about anything other than the football. He was in my mind a stylish midfielder who I loved to watch, and I always just assumed he left as we upgraded to Muhren.

As to Ipswich being known as be white club, I'm surprised we'd be called that given most of the big clubs at the time such as Leeds, Derby, Liverpool, Arsenal, Villa etc were also totally white as I recall. Maybe again I was too young to even think about those things, I just assumed our scouts were the best at signing the best players for the club given how good they were at it...
Colin Viljoen on 08:17 - Jul 13 with 2180 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Colin Viljoen on 23:25 - Apr 9 by jeera

I always claimed your old man was my favourite player as a kid, but in truth I was too young to appreciate him, or the game in general.

I just had Town posters on my walls everywhere and made decisions by those and reputation.

I have often wondered what happened to Allan Hunter's kids, but they'd have been a bit younger than you I suppose. P&L. [I think].

P was a toddler but L was around 9 y/o in 78 and a tidy little footballer for a kid. I thought he may have gone into the game but never heard much.

Lee played for Colchester for a bit before going into non-league. There is footage on YouTube of him after the FA Cup final, I'll try and find it and put it on here.

The last time I saw Paul was in the early 90s when we played pool together.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024