Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
James O'brien line a moment ago re Brexit 11:55 - Jul 10 with 8674 viewsnrb1985

had me rolling in the aisles. When discussing leavers blaming remainers for the fact Brexit is going so wrong:

"Blaming fire alarms for fires"

Beautifully summed up.
James O'brien line a moment ago re Brexit on 12:12 - Jul 10 with 5486 viewstractordownsouth

I love O'Brien, some of his Brexit callers are genius

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

James O'brien line a moment ago re Brexit on 12:44 - Jul 10 with 5387 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

I also dont get why remainers are seen by some as being irrelevant.

The referendum was effectively an opinion poll, and was pretty split.

The remainers opinion is still valid.

Effectively a 'soft brexit' would accurately reflect the result of the referendum.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

James O'brien line a moment ago re Brexit on 12:55 - Jul 10 with 5356 viewsCaptainObvious

beautifully summed up if you are a remoaner, but for neutral people doesn't really fit what is happening at all.

i.p. verification result : "not blueas"
Poll: Garner or Pitman?

James O'brien line a moment ago re Brexit on 12:58 - Jul 10 with 5345 viewsCaptainObvious

James O'brien line a moment ago re Brexit on 12:44 - Jul 10 by Marshalls_Mullet

Effectively a 'soft brexit' would accurately reflect the result of the referendum.

There is no such thing as a remainer once the result was announced. It's like saying you are a right-hand side of the road driver. You might want to drive on the right, but the option does not exist.

James O'brien line a moment ago re Brexit on 13:00 - Jul 10 with 5330 viewsDarth_Koont

James O'brien line a moment ago re Brexit on 12:58 - Jul 10 by CaptainObvious

There is no such thing as a remainer once the result was announced. It's like saying you are a right-hand side of the road driver. You might want to drive on the right, but the option does not exist.

¿Que?

Pronouns: He/Him

James O'brien line a moment ago re Brexit on 13:04 - Jul 10 with 5303 viewsWacko

Just like all those people calling themselves Eurosceptics before Brexit happened

Poll: Who would you rather see lose their job?

James O'brien line a moment ago re Brexit on 13:07 - Jul 10 with 5293 viewsCaptainObvious

James O'brien line a moment ago re Brexit on 13:04 - Jul 10 by Wacko

Just like all those people calling themselves Eurosceptics before Brexit happened

No. Not like that. You can be a Europhile now if you wish, but you cannot remain in something you are leaving, you can only remoan about the defeat you suffered.

James O'brien line a moment ago re Brexit on 13:10 - Jul 10 with 5283 viewsnrb1985

A soft Brexit IMO is the worst of both worlds. Becoming an EEA member would effectively create the situation that Brexiteers liedto us about in the referendum - ie we become a rule taker and will no longer have a say in what those rules are or have democratically elected members of the European parliament.

I'm resigned to Brexit going ahead now so would just take the off the shelf Canada model and do the best we can.
Login to get fewer ads

James O'brien line a moment ago re Brexit on 13:35 - Jul 10 with 5207 viewsWacko

James O'brien line a moment ago re Brexit on 13:07 - Jul 10 by CaptainObvious

No. Not like that. You can be a Europhile now if you wish, but you cannot remain in something you are leaving, you can only remoan about the defeat you suffered.

I think you're splitting hairs with semantics. But if we're going down that route then you can be a remainer until Brexit happens, not until the result is announced.

Poll: Who would you rather see lose their job?

James O'brien line a moment ago re Brexit on 13:52 - Jul 10 with 5151 viewsvapour_trail

Because obviously if the vote had been 52 48 the other way, Leave voters would have moved on and got behind their continent.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

James O'brien line a moment ago re Brexit on 13:53 - Jul 10 with 5152 viewsvapour_trail

James O'brien line a moment ago re Brexit on 12:55 - Jul 10 by CaptainObvious

beautifully summed up if you are a remoaner, but for neutral people doesn't really fit what is happening at all.

People throwing the term remoaner around are on a par with those who use gammon as an insult.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

James O'brien line a moment ago re Brexit on 14:56 - Jul 10 with 5043 viewsfactual_blue

Article 50 is reversible.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

James O'brien line a moment ago re Brexit on 15:12 - Jul 10 with 5012 viewsWeWereZombies

James O'brien line a moment ago re Brexit on 13:53 - Jul 10 by vapour_trail

People throwing the term remoaner around are on a par with those who use gammon as an insult.

Not sure about that, I mean I liked The Ramones but dislike Gary Glitter... although the 'gammon, gammon' bit of 'Do Ya Wanna Be In My Gang' is quite catchy...
[Post edited 10 Jul 2018 15:18]

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

James O'brien line a moment ago re Brexit on 15:57 - Jul 10 with 4946 viewsjaseitfc

I'm a liberal, a remainer, I agree with 95% of the stuff O'Brien says even his non-stop criticism of Corbyn but my word is he an arrogant f*ck- I can't bare the guy and I'm someone who usually agrees with him so God knows what chance he has winning over those who disagree
James O'brien line a moment ago re Brexit on 16:04 - Jul 10 with 4921 viewsblueislander

James O'brien line a moment ago re Brexit on 13:10 - Jul 10 by nrb1985

A soft Brexit IMO is the worst of both worlds. Becoming an EEA member would effectively create the situation that Brexiteers liedto us about in the referendum - ie we become a rule taker and will no longer have a say in what those rules are or have democratically elected members of the European parliament.

I'm resigned to Brexit going ahead now so would just take the off the shelf Canada model and do the best we can.

I wonder whether those who voted leave are now in favour of a "hard" or "soft" Brexit?
James O'brien line a moment ago re Brexit on 16:05 - Jul 10 with 4919 viewsgiant_stow

James O'brien line a moment ago re Brexit on 15:57 - Jul 10 by jaseitfc

I'm a liberal, a remainer, I agree with 95% of the stuff O'Brien says even his non-stop criticism of Corbyn but my word is he an arrogant f*ck- I can't bare the guy and I'm someone who usually agrees with him so God knows what chance he has winning over those who disagree

I used to listen years back - does he still love a long obscure word when a simple one will do? He's a tosser, but one with a good heart and very entertaining. Has he got the newsnight gig still?

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

James O'brien line a moment ago re Brexit on 17:10 - Jul 10 with 4821 viewsjaseitfc

James O'brien line a moment ago re Brexit on 16:05 - Jul 10 by giant_stow

I used to listen years back - does he still love a long obscure word when a simple one will do? He's a tosser, but one with a good heart and very entertaining. Has he got the newsnight gig still?

He does in the snippets I see of him now and again.

He just comes across pompous to me - always seems to have dim callers who he talks to like sh*t, and tries to act like hes a moral crusader, which is questionable in itself because I think he'd leave LBC if he was a man of conviction given its links to the right, etc

He's like a few posters on here who dont seem to understand its not about the idea your trying to convey, its about the delivery of the idea - if you come across pompous and rude you could be giving me gold but I wouldnt wanna listen.

I used to love the guy when I was at uni (nearly 10 years ago), when I was at the height of my faux-enlightened arrogance, so I see why his appeal to many on the left, but I just think hes a self-righteous Ahole - who probably behind the scenes aint as progressive as he claims to be.

PS - he sometimes spouts BS too himself, I remember once he dedicated a whole hour to a rise in English people being hostile to Scots in a poll he found and then about 15 minutes in he revealed he just noticed it was an SNP backed poll. So he had this whole hour talking about tensions between England and Scotland based on a poll he found on an SNP leaflet - imagine how he'd take a part one of his dim callers if they tried to the same, sighting a UKIP backed poll or something. Hes a tw*t
[Post edited 10 Jul 2018 17:13]
James O'brien line a moment ago re Brexit on 17:11 - Jul 10 with 4819 viewsGeoffSentence

A soft brexit would satisfy no-one. Remainers would still object to leaving, Brexiters would feel that we haven't truly left.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

James O'brien line a moment ago re Brexit on 17:18 - Jul 10 with 4800 viewsDarth_Koont

James O'brien line a moment ago re Brexit on 17:11 - Jul 10 by GeoffSentence

A soft brexit would satisfy no-one. Remainers would still object to leaving, Brexiters would feel that we haven't truly left.

But a soft Brexit satisfies common sense at least. Added to which a hard Brexit must equal a hard border in Ireland — and that's not going to do anyone any good.

James O'brien line a moment ago re Brexit on 17:19 - Jul 10 with 4790 viewsMullet

James O'brien line a moment ago re Brexit on 17:18 - Jul 10 by Darth_Koont

But a soft Brexit satisfies common sense at least. Added to which a hard Brexit must equal a hard border in Ireland — and that's not going to do anyone any good.

Common sense would mean no Brexit. Democracy would be a new vote with the liars who got us here incarcerated for various offences against the state.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

James O'brien line a moment ago re Brexit on 17:27 - Jul 10 with 4767 viewsDarth_Koont

James O'brien line a moment ago re Brexit on 17:19 - Jul 10 by Mullet

Common sense would mean no Brexit. Democracy would be a new vote with the liars who got us here incarcerated for various offences against the state.

Yes, I mean the most common sense is to remain. And perhaps engage with the EU like adults to get the relationship and the type of Europe we want. That's about the only way for us to really take back some sort of control over where we fit in the world.

Agree re: the whole mess. I hope it destroys the Tory party's distasteful sprawl over the centre-right and too far right of the political spectrum. And severely damages Labour. It's the politicians, of course, that have got us into this state but they're just a product of our ludicrous system.

James O'brien line a moment ago re Brexit on 18:30 - Jul 10 with 4676 viewsimsureazzure

He is a shock jock of the type normally ridiculed on here, but he bats for the correct side and is deemed funny.
James O'brien line a moment ago re Brexit on 18:36 - Jul 10 with 4650 viewsDarth_Koont

James O'brien line a moment ago re Brexit on 18:30 - Jul 10 by imsureazzure

He is a shock jock of the type normally ridiculed on here, but he bats for the correct side and is deemed funny.

He makes a lot of sense too. He's quite effective at debunking the man on the street's lazy opinions and prejudices.

James O'brien line a moment ago re Brexit on 18:43 - Jul 10 with 4628 viewsSwansea_Blue

James O'brien line a moment ago re Brexit on 14:56 - Jul 10 by factual_blue

Article 50 is reversible.

Article 50 is most definitely NOT reversible. I’ve tried it - reversed it becomes 05 elcitrA, which doesn’t make sense. I think ‘noon’ would be a better example of something reversible.

Hopfully that helps

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

James O'brien line a moment ago re Brexit on 18:44 - Jul 10 with 4623 viewschicoazul

James O'brien line a moment ago re Brexit on 16:04 - Jul 10 by blueislander

I wonder whether those who voted leave are now in favour of a "hard" or "soft" Brexit?

Here is a massive non-sequieter for you and everyone else; Brits who like drugs should hope for a soft Brexit since Ireland are very close to legalising weed. No border or customs checks onto the mainland. Hooray!
[Post edited 10 Jul 2018 18:45]

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024