Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Derby make initial offer of £5m (upfront) for Waghorn.... 15:03 - Jul 25 with 12678 viewsKieran_Knows

.... climbing to £8m with clauses.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Derby make initial offer of £5m (upfront) for Waghorn.... on 16:29 - Jul 25 with 2105 viewsHerbivore

Derby make initial offer of £5m (upfront) for Waghorn.... on 16:13 - Jul 25 by The_Romford_Blue

He’s not taking the money out.

But it means he has less he needs to put in as the transfer fees cover it.

And yet he's continued to make an average loss of neatly £7m a year since he bought the club. If we sell Waghorn I expect the money to be reinvested. We've spent £1.5m of the Webster fee already and have other bids in for players which suggests Hurst is being given money to play with from player sales.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Derby make initial offer of £5m (upfront) for Waghorn.... on 16:29 - Jul 25 with 2109 viewschicoazul

Derby make initial offer of £5m (upfront) for Waghorn.... on 16:20 - Jul 25 by FrimleyBlue

Did well to give bart a new deal didnt he?
Robbed bournemouth for mings didnt he?
Refused £8mill for mcgoldrick didnt he... which is probably why hes not taking a real hard firm in waghorn.. imagine what that £8 could have done.....

Evans gets alot of stick but hes one of the best owners in football

Those are all fair comments and there are others you didnt mention but are I believe offset by his disastrous Manager and CE appointments, crowds falling, league position stagnating, poor communications, the staggeringly huge debt making us a very unattractive prospect to offload, and the fact that he has failed utterly to get us promoted (1 play off place in 11 years ownership).

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Derby make initial offer of £5m (upfront) for Waghorn.... on 16:30 - Jul 25 with 2107 viewsSpruceMoose

Derby make initial offer of £5m (upfront) for Waghorn.... on 16:22 - Jul 25 by farkenhell

I've no wish to take sides or exacerbate this unfortunate spat further. However, my take on this particular thread is that it took a turn for the worse with "You've not calmed down any then. 15m? Ludicrous." Then shortly afterwards suggesting that Rommy is hysterical and "needs a slap".

Only going to go one way after that, don't you think?

Well, you raise an interesting point. Perhaps my annoyance got the better of me. But after a whole evening of multiple threads where things were going bananas all over the board last night, I was hoping things would been seen with bit more rationality in the cold light of day. Sadly, it didn't go that way.

To be honest, there has A LOT of over the top histrionics, and I think it's ok to point that out. Especially as I, and several other posters, spent a fair amount of time last night trying to explain to Rommy why other posters may see things differently, but he wasn't having any of it.

Finally, I would hope folk would realise I am not actually advocating anyone should go to Romford and issue a slap. Just to be clear.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Derby make initial offer of £5m (upfront) for Waghorn.... on 16:31 - Jul 25 with 2103 viewsSpruceMoose

Derby make initial offer of £5m (upfront) for Waghorn.... on 16:27 - Jul 25 by crazyblue68

Tight greedy selfish man. Thats Evans. Whats he done ? Really ? Bugg@r all, we are just getting worse every season. Sell the club if he isnt in it to be successful. You were another one looking through rose tinted glasses at his interview. He has had all of you for mugs and still you believe his cr@p.
We will be relegated, l dont want to see it, but the team we have here wont do anything this season, and the manager is out of his depth. A yes man for Evans.

I thought you had left the board now you had made fools of everyone. Or something like that.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

Derby make initial offer of £5m (upfront) for Waghorn.... on 16:31 - Jul 25 with 2106 viewsPhilTWTD

Derby make initial offer of £5m (upfront) for Waghorn.... on 15:30 - Jul 25 by KieranMcKenna1

4m upfront according to sky sports! Check out @RobDorsettSky’s Tweet:

Doubt it's that, Town have already turned down just under £5m from Sheffield United. Will need to be more than that up front. The report earlier re £5m plus add-ons is more likely but probably still not enough. Raise it a little and it'll get done, I would have thought.
Derby make initial offer of £5m (upfront) for Waghorn.... on 16:32 - Jul 25 with 2089 viewsHerbivore

Derby make initial offer of £5m (upfront) for Waghorn.... on 16:18 - Jul 25 by The_Romford_Blue

It could be. But my whole argument is that it won’t be.

We’ve got the holes of Smith/Berra and Webster to fill defensively. There’s ten days left.

We will now be a top class striker short too.

I fear for us. I really really do.

Your argument was that anyone happy with the proposed deal for Waghorn isn't a Town fan. It's fine for you to think it's a bad deal, but to accuse those who are happy with the deal of not being Town fans is rather silly.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Derby make initial offer of £5m (upfront) for Waghorn.... on 16:34 - Jul 25 with 2085 viewsSpruceMoose

Derby make initial offer of £5m (upfront) for Waghorn.... on 16:32 - Jul 25 by Herbivore

Your argument was that anyone happy with the proposed deal for Waghorn isn't a Town fan. It's fine for you to think it's a bad deal, but to accuse those who are happy with the deal of not being Town fans is rather silly.

To be honest, that was the comment which really ground my gears. A very disappointing comment. Hopefully he didn't mean it, and it was just the rage talking.

Derby make initial offer of £5m (upfront) for Waghorn.... on 16:36 - Jul 25 with 2068 viewsKieran_Knows

Derby make initial offer of £5m (upfront) for Waghorn.... on 16:31 - Jul 25 by PhilTWTD

Doubt it's that, Town have already turned down just under £5m from Sheffield United. Will need to be more than that up front. The report earlier re £5m plus add-ons is more likely but probably still not enough. Raise it a little and it'll get done, I would have thought.

I think £5m upfront seems fair, but I imagine £6m upfront might get it done? Either way, we still need players in fairly sharpish!

Login to get fewer ads

Derby make initial offer of £5m (upfront) for Waghorn.... on 16:41 - Jul 25 with 2028 viewsfarkenhell

Derby make initial offer of £5m (upfront) for Waghorn.... on 15:47 - Jul 25 by maccyd9

No offence but many on here have probably been going to Town games since before you were born.

Which is why we aren't wetting ourselves over this.

You won't remember administration however I can assure you that selling Ambrose, Holland, Herman for next to nothing was far far far worse than this. Nothing was on our terms then and it is now.

You make a very good point about Ambrose, Holland & Hermann. Similarly when we later lost Bent, Kuqi & Miller. Earlier, selling Dalian Atkinson for a song. Even earlier than that, the dismantling of Robson's team. All of those were depressing times.

No-one wants to see us sell a player at less that we think he's worth, least of all one of the best ones that we have, and I think that's the point that Rommy has been trying to make. To hear that the offer was £8 million with the implication that this would be without strings, but less than 12 hours later learn that it is, in fact, £4 million with the rest as likely to be paid as my best mate buying the first round, is just as depressing for me. Certainly my first reaction was "here we go again..."
Derby make initial offer of £5m (upfront) for Waghorn.... on 16:44 - Jul 25 with 2014 viewshype313

Derby make initial offer of £5m (upfront) for Waghorn.... on 16:36 - Jul 25 by Kieran_Knows

I think £5m upfront seems fair, but I imagine £6m upfront might get it done? Either way, we still need players in fairly sharpish!

But didn't Sheff Utd have £5m turned down?

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Derby make initial offer of £5m (upfront) for Waghorn.... on 16:45 - Jul 25 with 2006 viewsKieran_Knows

Derby make initial offer of £5m (upfront) for Waghorn.... on 16:44 - Jul 25 by hype313

But was that £5m all upfront?

Derby make initial offer of £5m (upfront) for Waghorn.... on 16:46 - Jul 25 with 2000 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Derby make initial offer of £5m (upfront) for Waghorn.... on 16:30 - Jul 25 by SpruceMoose

Well, you raise an interesting point. Perhaps my annoyance got the better of me. But after a whole evening of multiple threads where things were going bananas all over the board last night, I was hoping things would been seen with bit more rationality in the cold light of day. Sadly, it didn't go that way.

To be honest, there has A LOT of over the top histrionics, and I think it's ok to point that out. Especially as I, and several other posters, spent a fair amount of time last night trying to explain to Rommy why other posters may see things differently, but he wasn't having any of it.

Finally, I would hope folk would realise I am not actually advocating anyone should go to Romford and issue a slap. Just to be clear.

Fwiw, and this is my last post on the matter, I had calmed down and was at least thinking that 8m up front was more than the 5m-6m most were predicting.

But then I saw the 5m plus add ons and then the 4m plus add on tweets and got just as angry as I did yesterday.

It wasn’t the slap comment I had any issue with. It was the bit about me having no association to Suffolk and should be supporting West Ham. I’ve had that with living in a 80% West Ham area throughout my life. Certainly didn’t expect a town fan to use that against me.

Poll: Would you take a draw tonight if offered right now?

Derby make initial offer of £5m (upfront) for Waghorn.... on 16:47 - Jul 25 with 1995 viewshype313

Derby make initial offer of £5m (upfront) for Waghorn.... on 16:45 - Jul 25 by Kieran_Knows

But was that £5m all upfront?

Don't know, probably not.

Reading between the lines you can see the club accepting £6m upfront with a further £2m in add on's.

Just need to get it done and concentrate on getting players in.

Derby make initial offer of £5m (upfront) for Waghorn.... on 16:50 - Jul 25 with 1979 viewsSpruceMoose

Derby make initial offer of £5m (upfront) for Waghorn.... on 16:46 - Jul 25 by The_Romford_Blue

Fwiw, and this is my last post on the matter, I had calmed down and was at least thinking that 8m up front was more than the 5m-6m most were predicting.

But then I saw the 5m plus add ons and then the 4m plus add on tweets and got just as angry as I did yesterday.

It wasn’t the slap comment I had any issue with. It was the bit about me having no association to Suffolk and should be supporting West Ham. I’ve had that with living in a 80% West Ham area throughout my life. Certainly didn’t expect a town fan to use that against me.

It never would have been said if not for your comment that anyone who is happy with the deal happening isn't a true Town fan. If you're going to say that, remembering that some on here have been Town supporters longer than both you or I have been alive, then it's fair game to ask you who you think you are to be saying it. So, you're not exactly the victim here, you brought it on yourself.

But, I can understand your disappointment and despair. I felt that way when Ambrose was sold, when Dyer went, went Taricco left. I'm happy to believe you didn't actually mean it, you were just in a heightened emotional state. And contrary to what you said, I do like you Rommers. I said it before, you're what the club needs, and it can't have always been easy growing up supporting us when you're surrounded by Spammers. Nobody deserves that.

Let's move on.
[Post edited 25 Jul 2018 16:56]

Derby make initial offer of £5m (upfront) for Waghorn.... on 16:50 - Jul 25 with 1979 viewsKieran_Knows

Derby make initial offer of £5m (upfront) for Waghorn.... on 16:47 - Jul 25 by hype313

Don't know, probably not.

Reading between the lines you can see the club accepting £6m upfront with a further £2m in add on's.

Just need to get it done and concentrate on getting players in.

That's the impression I get as well with regards to the fee.

Agree with you there as well, needs to get sorted ASAP (this week if he is going to go).

Derby make initial offer of £5m (upfront) for Waghorn.... on 16:51 - Jul 25 with 1967 viewsPhilTWTD

Derby make initial offer of £5m (upfront) for Waghorn.... on 16:44 - Jul 25 by hype313

Approaching £5m was the way it was put to me. I assumed that much or most of that was up front, but it was flatly turned down anyway.

I wouldn't be surprised if £6m plus sensible top-ups (ones which are more than likely to happen rather than pie in the sky ones) might well make it happen. Despite there not being a transfer request, I think MW will be keen on the move; last big pay day, greater chance of promotion etc.
Derby make initial offer of £5m (upfront) for Waghorn.... on 16:53 - Jul 25 with 1937 viewsfarkenhell

Derby make initial offer of £5m (upfront) for Waghorn.... on 16:25 - Jul 25 by Nthsuffolkblue

I get your point about proven striker versus lower league.

However,

1 There is no guarantee proven striker continues to be the same. New manager and new system may not suit. He may get a serious injury (aka Didzy).

2 A proven striker moving to a new club is always a risk. Do you remember the excitement surrounding the arrival of Chopra … or Priskin … or even Lee Chapman?!

It has long been the case that to progress we need to improve players. Could we get a fee that could see us sign a Stewart rather than a Johnson? Another Murphy/Waghorn/McGoldrick would be good to see. I think most of those that have not worked out here in recent years have been cheaper punts than they were. This sort of money would allow the more likely punts.

Some good points. If PH was given licence to spend, say, £5 million on a transfer fee for a single player, who would you like us to go for?
Derby make initial offer of £5m (upfront) for Waghorn.... on 16:54 - Jul 25 with 1933 viewshype313

Derby make initial offer of £5m (upfront) for Waghorn.... on 16:51 - Jul 25 by PhilTWTD

Approaching £5m was the way it was put to me. I assumed that much or most of that was up front, but it was flatly turned down anyway.

I wouldn't be surprised if £6m plus sensible top-ups (ones which are more than likely to happen rather than pie in the sky ones) might well make it happen. Despite there not being a transfer request, I think MW will be keen on the move; last big pay day, greater chance of promotion etc.

My thoughts too as I allured to Paul, Can't blame him to be honest, as you say at his age and with Derby paying big wages it would be foolish for him not to secure his financial future.

I'm not as worried as others, he was good for us last season, but you just can't turn down that level of return, well, we as a club can't.

Derby make initial offer of £5m (upfront) for Waghorn.... on 16:54 - Jul 25 with 1933 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Derby make initial offer of £5m (upfront) for Waghorn.... on 16:51 - Jul 25 by PhilTWTD

How likely is it that the money from derby will be staggered over a couple of years?

Think I rememebr you saying the Mings deal and most others are like that. But that wouldn’t help us in Hurst rebuilding if it’s 250k a month though.

Derby make initial offer of £5m (upfront) for Waghorn.... on 16:57 - Jul 25 with 1907 viewsPhilTWTD

Derby make initial offer of £5m (upfront) for Waghorn.... on 16:54 - Jul 25 by The_Romford_Blue

How likely is it that the money from derby will be staggered over a couple of years?

Think I rememebr you saying the Mings deal and most others are like that. But that wouldn’t help us in Hurst rebuilding if it’s 250k a month though.

Most are paid in staggered amounts so not really a problem as we'd do the same with the deals we'd be doing in turn. Wouldn't be regular payments like that, more lump sums in two or three tranches.
Derby make initial offer of £5m (upfront) for Waghorn.... on 16:59 - Jul 25 with 1882 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Derby make initial offer of £5m (upfront) for Waghorn.... on 16:57 - Jul 25 by PhilTWTD

Most are paid in staggered amounts so not really a problem as we'd do the same with the deals we'd be doing in turn. Wouldn't be regular payments like that, more lump sums in two or three tranches.

Oh we’d do our smaller deals in instalments too? Edwards, Harrison etc? I hadn’t thought of that.

Derby make initial offer of £5m (upfront) for Waghorn.... on 17:03 - Jul 25 with 1854 viewshype313

Derby make initial offer of £5m (upfront) for Waghorn.... on 16:59 - Jul 25 by The_Romford_Blue

Oh we’d do our smaller deals in instalments too? Edwards, Harrison etc? I hadn’t thought of that.

Most clubs do instalments, even the likes of Barca/Madrid/City.

Many a story of players leaving clubs to go for a big fee to then leave and years later payments are being made between the clubs.

Derby make initial offer of £5m (upfront) for Waghorn.... on 17:04 - Jul 25 with 1839 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Derby make initial offer of £5m (upfront) for Waghorn.... on 16:53 - Jul 25 by farkenhell

Some good points. If PH was given licence to spend, say, £5 million on a transfer fee for a single player, who would you like us to go for?

No idea to be honest. Who would be the equivalent of a Stewart in today's market?

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Derby make initial offer of £5m (upfront) for Waghorn.... on 17:06 - Jul 25 with 1825 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Derby make initial offer of £5m (upfront) for Waghorn.... on 17:03 - Jul 25 by hype313

Most clubs do instalments, even the likes of Barca/Madrid/City.

Many a story of players leaving clubs to go for a big fee to then leave and years later payments are being made between the clubs.

The thought of scum paying a couple of million a year for Van Wolfskinkel has made me smile at least

Derby make initial offer of £5m (upfront) for Waghorn.... on 17:08 - Jul 25 with 1811 viewshype313

Derby make initial offer of £5m (upfront) for Waghorn.... on 17:06 - Jul 25 by The_Romford_Blue

The thought of scum paying a couple of million a year for Van Wolfskinkel has made me smile at least

Especially as he banged in 10 from 19 games last season for Basle and 20 in 32 for Vitesse the previous season.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024