Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Vandals attack Jacob Rees-Mogg's Somerset home 12:08 - Aug 7 with 65378 viewsArcher4721

Vandals have attacked the family home of prominent Conservative MP Jacob Rees-Mogg.

It happened overnight on 1 August at the politician's mansion at West Harptree, Somerset, when the Rees-Mogg family were on holiday in the US.

Police said graffiti was sprayed "on a building and on a car" and damage was caused to a garden.

According to a report in the Mail Online, the words "posh scum" were written on windows of the house.

Mr Rees-Mogg's office confirmed the attack took place but declined to comment further.

The MP's 17th Century country home, called Gournay Court, is a listed building. He also owns a £5.6m house in Westminster.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-45082053
Vandals attack Jacob Rees-Mogg's Somerset home on 22:48 - Aug 8 with 3011 viewsbaxterbasics

Vandals attack Jacob Rees-Mogg's Somerset home on 22:30 - Aug 8 by Mugwump

What a rude man you are.

What I am saying (as you well know) is that the absolute overwhelming majority of Muslims do not recognise gay marriage - or in fact gays full stop.

So by your logic it is acceptable to damage their property.

It really is quite straightforward.

You’re close to nailing what for me is still an unanswered point that has been made a few times already.

Believing catholic man objects to gay marriage and abortion and it’s open season to describe him as odious, scum and so on.

Describe Islam or any of its followers in those kinds of terms and you are shut down as a racist, bigot or Islamophobe. Oh and clearly ‘far right’. Just last week I saw some MP campaigning to stop a group known as ‘gays against Sharia’ from marching in his town, branding it hate speech. Would he feel the same about a gay protest against catholic doctrine?

I am yet to find anyone that can reconcile these two positions. Does one religion deserve special protection over the other? I know which community I would rather live amongst if I were gay, or indeed any other minority I can think of.

zip
Poll: Your minimum standard of 'success' for our return to The Championship?

Vandals attack Jacob Rees-Mogg's Somerset home on 23:02 - Aug 8 with 2990 viewsMugwump

Vandals attack Jacob Rees-Mogg's Somerset home on 22:48 - Aug 8 by baxterbasics

You’re close to nailing what for me is still an unanswered point that has been made a few times already.

Believing catholic man objects to gay marriage and abortion and it’s open season to describe him as odious, scum and so on.

Describe Islam or any of its followers in those kinds of terms and you are shut down as a racist, bigot or Islamophobe. Oh and clearly ‘far right’. Just last week I saw some MP campaigning to stop a group known as ‘gays against Sharia’ from marching in his town, branding it hate speech. Would he feel the same about a gay protest against catholic doctrine?

I am yet to find anyone that can reconcile these two positions. Does one religion deserve special protection over the other? I know which community I would rather live amongst if I were gay, or indeed any other minority I can think of.

Yes, I was just labelled a racist and I find that quite insulting.

I consider myself fairly left wing and welcoming to all but i can't help notice that the playing field isn't level.

Throughout my life I have tended to support the underdog and I can't believe that the underdog at the moment is JRM.

I'm feeling a bit strange about it.
Vandals attack Jacob Rees-Mogg's Somerset home on 23:03 - Aug 8 with 2976 viewseireblue

Vandals attack Jacob Rees-Mogg's Somerset home on 22:48 - Aug 8 by baxterbasics

No belief system deserves more recognition than any another.

People can believe what they like.

They just can't impose it on any one else that doesn't share the belief.

Simples.
Vandals attack Jacob Rees-Mogg's Somerset home on 23:40 - Aug 8 with 2951 viewsmonytowbray

Vandals attack Jacob Rees-Mogg's Somerset home on 22:30 - Aug 8 by Mugwump

What a rude man you are.

What I am saying (as you well know) is that the absolute overwhelming majority of Muslims do not recognise gay marriage - or in fact gays full stop.

So by your logic it is acceptable to damage their property.

It really is quite straightforward.

I was talking about one man, you then dragged the entire Muslim population of Britain into it. That’s a generalisation if I’ve ever seen one.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Vandals attack Jacob Rees-Mogg's Somerset home on 23:42 - Aug 8 with 2951 viewsRyorry

Vandals attack Jacob Rees-Mogg's Somerset home on 23:02 - Aug 8 by Mugwump

Yes, I was just labelled a racist and I find that quite insulting.

I consider myself fairly left wing and welcoming to all but i can't help notice that the playing field isn't level.

Throughout my life I have tended to support the underdog and I can't believe that the underdog at the moment is JRM.

I'm feeling a bit strange about it.

You and me both!

Poll: Time of the annunciation

Vandals attack Jacob Rees-Mogg's Somerset home on 00:23 - Aug 9 with 2936 viewsMugwump

Vandals attack Jacob Rees-Mogg's Somerset home on 23:40 - Aug 8 by monytowbray

I was talking about one man, you then dragged the entire Muslim population of Britain into it. That’s a generalisation if I’ve ever seen one.

I didn't drag the entire Muslim population into it, I suggested the overwhelming majority.

It's a fact which if you don't recognise suggests to me that you don't know many Muslim families.

Your whole defence of the people who attacked JRM is moronic and doesn't hold up to any scrutiny. Your views are lopsided, deranged and contradictory. You are clearly vindictive against certain sections of society yet supportive of other sections who hold the same ideals.

You are an incandescent rebel without a cause.
Vandals attack Jacob Rees-Mogg's Somerset home on 03:54 - Aug 9 with 2897 viewsmonytowbray

Vandals attack Jacob Rees-Mogg's Somerset home on 00:23 - Aug 9 by Mugwump

I didn't drag the entire Muslim population into it, I suggested the overwhelming majority.

It's a fact which if you don't recognise suggests to me that you don't know many Muslim families.

Your whole defence of the people who attacked JRM is moronic and doesn't hold up to any scrutiny. Your views are lopsided, deranged and contradictory. You are clearly vindictive against certain sections of society yet supportive of other sections who hold the same ideals.

You are an incandescent rebel without a cause.

No, you cited a figure rounded higher than the entire Muslim population of Britain based on an assumption they all share similar views to JRM (a single person we were discussing on his views alone and not an entire religion). That’s racism mate, you can tell yourself otherwise all you want but it is. The only real justification you have is you admit you fudged your numbers rather than doubling down on it.

I’ve worked with and know people from many walks of life, Muslims included, thanks.

TWTD never forgets…

Vandals attack Jacob Rees-Mogg's Somerset home on 07:14 - Aug 9 with 2843 viewsStokieBlue

Vandals attack Jacob Rees-Mogg's Somerset home on 23:40 - Aug 8 by monytowbray

The fact that you think it's fine to commit crimes against an individual because of his views is still an awful position to hold.

Disagreement and debate are fine, a must even. You don't debate your position though, you say it's the moral position and then attempt to bend everyone into accepting it.

JRM is a detestable individual, he won't shift from his views as he sees it as the moral position. Sounds pretty familiar to me.

In this country there is no justification for targeted crimes based on ones views. It's just as a detestable position as many of JRMs.

SB

Avatar - M51 - The Whirlpool Galaxy - Taken on 29th April 2024

Login to get fewer ads

Vandals attack Jacob Rees-Mogg's Somerset home on 08:02 - Aug 9 with 2806 viewsmonytowbray

Vandals attack Jacob Rees-Mogg's Somerset home on 07:14 - Aug 9 by StokieBlue

The fact that you think it's fine to commit crimes against an individual because of his views is still an awful position to hold.

Disagreement and debate are fine, a must even. You don't debate your position though, you say it's the moral position and then attempt to bend everyone into accepting it.

JRM is a detestable individual, he won't shift from his views as he sees it as the moral position. Sounds pretty familiar to me.

In this country there is no justification for targeted crimes based on ones views. It's just as a detestable position as many of JRMs.

SB

Again, I've not once defended the actions or said I agree. I've just stated in the scheme of things I'm really not bothered about it.

Perhaps that makes me an a*sehole in the eyes of some people. Again, I'm not particularly fussed and I understand why people may feel that way.

TWTD never forgets…

Vandals attack Jacob Rees-Mogg's Somerset home on 08:12 - Aug 9 with 2793 viewsStokieBlue

Vandals attack Jacob Rees-Mogg's Somerset home on 08:02 - Aug 9 by monytowbray

Again, I've not once defended the actions or said I agree. I've just stated in the scheme of things I'm really not bothered about it.

Perhaps that makes me an a*sehole in the eyes of some people. Again, I'm not particularly fussed and I understand why people may feel that way.

See this is the issue. You did indicated you agreed with the actions on pages 1-5 by saying they should have gone further and that if you have certain views you deserve what you get:

"Really sad news that, they didn't even set fire to the building."

"I’m not going to shed a tear because someone sprayed COCK P1SS PARTRIDGE on the side of his car."

"Nah. Chat sh1t get banged."

"Homophobic person gets “Posh Tw@t” sprayed on his house. Oh well."

Certainly no condemnation of the actions there wouldn't you agree?

Then after getting repeatedly called out on this implicit justification you changed tune about page 6 when replying to Libby. That's fine but it doesn't mean the previous pages are suddenly expunged from memory.

You don't like it when people have a pop at your for your views (take the threads of veganism or housing) but it seems fine for other people to get abuse if it's something you agree with.

I guess the only good thing is that you do acknowledge you might come across as offensive to some people, although wouldn't you say that's a fairly similar position to JRMs?

SB
[Post edited 9 Aug 2018 8:13]

Vandals attack Jacob Rees-Mogg's Somerset home on 08:19 - Aug 9 with 2788 viewsSwansea_Blue

Not condoning the spraying and any dsmage, but apparently someone stuck a purple dildo on his car. Now that is mildly amusing and very apt!

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Vandals attack Jacob Rees-Mogg's Somerset home on 08:32 - Aug 9 with 2770 viewsGlasgowBlue

Vandals attack Jacob Rees-Mogg's Somerset home on 08:19 - Aug 9 by Swansea_Blue

Not condoning the spraying and any dsmage, but apparently someone stuck a purple dildo on his car. Now that is mildly amusing and very apt!

On his wife’s car.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: What will be announced first?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

on 08:39 - Aug 9 with 2754 views_

Vandals attack Jacob Rees-Mogg's Somerset home on 08:02 - Aug 9 by monytowbray

Vandals attack Jacob Rees-Mogg's Somerset home on 08:46 - Aug 9 with 2733 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Vandals attack Jacob Rees-Mogg's Somerset home on 08:32 - Aug 9 by GlasgowBlue

On his wife’s car.

So now it's multifunctional!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If he goes will he still be Super?

Vandals attack Jacob Rees-Mogg's Somerset home on 09:19 - Aug 9 with 2694 viewsMugwump

Vandals attack Jacob Rees-Mogg's Somerset home on 03:54 - Aug 9 by monytowbray

No, you cited a figure rounded higher than the entire Muslim population of Britain based on an assumption they all share similar views to JRM (a single person we were discussing on his views alone and not an entire religion). That’s racism mate, you can tell yourself otherwise all you want but it is. The only real justification you have is you admit you fudged your numbers rather than doubling down on it.

I’ve worked with and know people from many walks of life, Muslims included, thanks.

I cited a figure of the conservative estimated Muslim population of the UK and I suggested the overwhelming majority of that figure because overwhelmingly Muslim culture does not accept gay marriages or gay people. That isn't racism but a fact. I used this example purely to highlight your hypocrisy.

Whilst I personally agree that gay people can get married I also kind of think everyone is entitled to their own view so I wouldn't go about smashing peoples property up anyway. You however have relished that JRM has been vandalised because of his views, if you think this is fair game then you obviously think it is fair game to do the same to everyone who shares his views on gay marriage.

I notice you highlight the word posh as if it’s some offence, I presume by posh you actually mean educated, Is that a crime?

It's very lazy to shout racism when your argument is shot to pieces but after looking at your posting history you seem to be an angry confused man who will type that black is white until your fingers are beaten and bloody so I’ll leave it at that.

Peace.
Vandals attack Jacob Rees-Mogg's Somerset home on 09:35 - Aug 9 with 2664 viewsmonytowbray

on 08:39 - Aug 9 by _

I think there are bigger issues in this thread with attitudes than the fact I'm not too fussed about the issue of JRM's house being vandalised.

Perhaps you should try debating them, like the bloke who said something quite racist and is now trying to pretend it wasn't racist.

If you think the problem in this thread is me shrugging my shoulders then you've changed drastically. Are you voting Tory yet? ;)

TWTD never forgets…

Vandals attack Jacob Rees-Mogg's Somerset home on 09:37 - Aug 9 with 2662 viewsmonytowbray

Vandals attack Jacob Rees-Mogg's Somerset home on 09:19 - Aug 9 by Mugwump

I cited a figure of the conservative estimated Muslim population of the UK and I suggested the overwhelming majority of that figure because overwhelmingly Muslim culture does not accept gay marriages or gay people. That isn't racism but a fact. I used this example purely to highlight your hypocrisy.

Whilst I personally agree that gay people can get married I also kind of think everyone is entitled to their own view so I wouldn't go about smashing peoples property up anyway. You however have relished that JRM has been vandalised because of his views, if you think this is fair game then you obviously think it is fair game to do the same to everyone who shares his views on gay marriage.

I notice you highlight the word posh as if it’s some offence, I presume by posh you actually mean educated, Is that a crime?

It's very lazy to shout racism when your argument is shot to pieces but after looking at your posting history you seem to be an angry confused man who will type that black is white until your fingers are beaten and bloody so I’ll leave it at that.

Peace.

There isn't even 3 million Muslims in the UK mate.

As I said, you've either fudged your figures or you're a bit racist.

Again, I never justified or condoned it, just said "meh" about the whole thing. I think in the scheme of what bothers me socially this ranks pretty low on my list.

TWTD never forgets…

Vandals attack Jacob Rees-Mogg's Somerset home on 09:42 - Aug 9 with 2647 viewsBrixtonBlue

Vandals attack Jacob Rees-Mogg's Somerset home on 08:12 - Aug 9 by StokieBlue

See this is the issue. You did indicated you agreed with the actions on pages 1-5 by saying they should have gone further and that if you have certain views you deserve what you get:

"Really sad news that, they didn't even set fire to the building."

"I’m not going to shed a tear because someone sprayed COCK P1SS PARTRIDGE on the side of his car."

"Nah. Chat sh1t get banged."

"Homophobic person gets “Posh Tw@t” sprayed on his house. Oh well."

Certainly no condemnation of the actions there wouldn't you agree?

Then after getting repeatedly called out on this implicit justification you changed tune about page 6 when replying to Libby. That's fine but it doesn't mean the previous pages are suddenly expunged from memory.

You don't like it when people have a pop at your for your views (take the threads of veganism or housing) but it seems fine for other people to get abuse if it's something you agree with.

I guess the only good thing is that you do acknowledge you might come across as offensive to some people, although wouldn't you say that's a fairly similar position to JRMs?

SB
[Post edited 9 Aug 2018 8:13]

Can you not see when he's joking?

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Vandals attack Jacob Rees-Mogg's Somerset home on 09:45 - Aug 9 with 2640 viewsGlasgowBlue

Vandals attack Jacob Rees-Mogg's Somerset home on 09:37 - Aug 9 by monytowbray

Again, I never justified or condoned it, just said "meh" about the whole thing. I think in the scheme of what bothers me socially this ranks pretty low on my list.

4.1 million in 2016 according to official figures.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: What will be announced first?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Vandals attack Jacob Rees-Mogg's Somerset home on 09:54 - Aug 9 with 2613 viewsbrazil1982

Vandals attack Jacob Rees-Mogg's Somerset home on 09:37 - Aug 9 by monytowbray

Last census 2011 gives 2.6 million. The 7 years since there has been between 200-300 thousand net migration into the UK with I expect a significant % from mainly Muslim countries. Coupled with birth rates, I'd say 3 million is a conservative answer.

Islam is not a race.
Vandals attack Jacob Rees-Mogg's Somerset home on 10:13 - Aug 9 with 2578 viewsStokieBlue

Vandals attack Jacob Rees-Mogg's Somerset home on 09:42 - Aug 9 by BrixtonBlue

It's always a joke once it's been called right?

He continued to go down that road after that though. Also, it's not really very funny is it? I am sure if such a joke had been aimed at a Labour stalwart then there would be complaints.

SB

Vandals attack Jacob Rees-Mogg's Somerset home on 10:22 - Aug 9 with 2572 viewsBenters2

Vandals attack Jacob Rees-Mogg's Somerset home on 09:42 - Aug 9 by BrixtonBlue

A Dolly swerve given to Callis very kind chap
on 10:25 - Aug 9 with 2558 views_

Vandals attack Jacob Rees-Mogg's Somerset home on 09:35 - Aug 9 by monytowbray

I think there are bigger issues in this thread with attitudes than the fact I'm not too fussed about the issue of JRM's house being vandalised.

Perhaps you should try debating them, like the bloke who said something quite racist and is now trying to pretend it wasn't racist.

If you think the problem in this thread is me shrugging my shoulders then you've changed drastically. Are you voting Tory yet? ;)

Vandals attack Jacob Rees-Mogg's Somerset home on 10:26 - Aug 9 with 2555 viewsmonytowbray

Vandals attack Jacob Rees-Mogg's Somerset home on 10:13 - Aug 9 by StokieBlue

It's always a joke once it's been called right?

He continued to go down that road after that though. Also, it's not really very funny is it? I am sure if such a joke had been aimed at a Labour stalwart then there would be complaints.

SB

Not really sure what you're trying to argue over now. Nor do I really care.

TWTD never forgets…

Vandals attack Jacob Rees-Mogg's Somerset home on 10:32 - Aug 9 with 2531 viewsmonytowbray

on 10:25 - Aug 9 by _

Every post you make towards me these days is quite rude and condescending. Swings and roundabouts.

It's quite funny that I've literally said "meh" about the whole thing and admitted if people feel it makes me an a*sehole then oh well.

What more is left to discuss? I wish more people took the same approach when trying to venomously defend why they eat meat towards me. It's almost as if people have different moral priorities based on their own ethics and opinions, I've said my bit and I'm not sure what more there is to add.

TWTD never forgets…

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024