Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Vandals attack Jacob Rees-Mogg's Somerset home 12:08 - Aug 7 with 65162 viewsArcher4721

Vandals have attacked the family home of prominent Conservative MP Jacob Rees-Mogg.

It happened overnight on 1 August at the politician's mansion at West Harptree, Somerset, when the Rees-Mogg family were on holiday in the US.

Police said graffiti was sprayed "on a building and on a car" and damage was caused to a garden.

According to a report in the Mail Online, the words "posh scum" were written on windows of the house.

Mr Rees-Mogg's office confirmed the attack took place but declined to comment further.

The MP's 17th Century country home, called Gournay Court, is a listed building. He also owns a £5.6m house in Westminster.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-45082053
Vandals attack Jacob Rees-Mogg's Somerset home on 09:47 - Aug 10 with 2712 viewsBrixtonBlue

Vandals attack Jacob Rees-Mogg's Somerset home on 09:42 - Aug 10 by StokieBlue

I'm happy for everyone to have an opinion. I've not said otherwise so perhaps not to put words into my mouth. You do seem to come on here nowadays looking for arguments - many people have pointed this out lately.

I asked him to clarify it because it's not clear. He's clarified now - it really wasn't a big deal.

SB
[Post edited 10 Aug 2018 9:44]

"I'm happy for everyone to have an opinion. I've not said otherwise so perhaps not to put words into my mouth."

"Why don't you let Callis answer for himself instead of continually jumping in?"

As to your edit - He's clarified now?!? He's basically agreed with what I said... and how it was very clear before. I'm not looking for arguments, just defending the basic logic. It looks like you were looking for an argument with Callis and now you've backed down. The situation is exactly as clear as it was before.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Vandals attack Jacob Rees-Mogg's Somerset home on 09:50 - Aug 10 with 2700 viewsNewcyBlue

Vandals attack Jacob Rees-Mogg's Somerset home on 09:31 - Aug 10 by monytowbray

PLEASE ARGUE WITH ME CALLIS. PLEASE. I NEED ATTENTION.

I’ve got no interest in arguing with you.

Have a good weekend though.

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Vandals attack Jacob Rees-Mogg's Somerset home on 09:52 - Aug 10 with 2699 viewsimsureazzure

Vandals attack Jacob Rees-Mogg's Somerset home on 09:40 - Aug 10 by monytowbray

He’s pro life until the kids are born, then he votes to cut their access to benefits needed to stay alive.

Then vote him and his cohorts out of power, trouble is the silly ones have rallied behind and backed to the hilt a cult who will not defeat an incompetent government.
Vandals attack Jacob Rees-Mogg's Somerset home on 09:53 - Aug 10 with 2696 viewsBrixtonBlue

Vandals attack Jacob Rees-Mogg's Somerset home on 09:47 - Aug 10 by vapour_trail

I don’t get this argument.

If someone believes, truly believes, that ending life is wrong, then I’m not sure why rape keeps getting brought into the debate.

I think JRM is a cun+, but this doesn’t stick for me.

I'm not sure I follow. He's against abortion full stop. So that means he's in favour of the scenario I outlined, which surely most decent people would agree is wrong?

There's room to be pro life but have exceptions surely? Another one might be a child that will be born with disabilities so severe that their life will be hell.

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Vandals attack Jacob Rees-Mogg's Somerset home on 09:55 - Aug 10 with 2685 viewsvapour_trail

Vandals attack Jacob Rees-Mogg's Somerset home on 09:53 - Aug 10 by BrixtonBlue

I'm not sure I follow. He's against abortion full stop. So that means he's in favour of the scenario I outlined, which surely most decent people would agree is wrong?

There's room to be pro life but have exceptions surely? Another one might be a child that will be born with disabilities so severe that their life will be hell.

For some people there isn’t room for exceptions. There’s other things that darken his door more than this. Move on.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Vandals attack Jacob Rees-Mogg's Somerset home on 09:57 - Aug 10 with 2674 viewsBrixtonBlue

Vandals attack Jacob Rees-Mogg's Somerset home on 09:52 - Aug 10 by imsureazzure

Then vote him and his cohorts out of power, trouble is the silly ones have rallied behind and backed to the hilt a cult who will not defeat an incompetent government.

Why are they "silly"? Because they have a different opinion to you?

I wouldn't be so sure they won't defeat this incompetent government. They got very close last time after coming from a long way behind.

I see this like Hurst at Ipswich. Some people are scared of change. Rightly so, it is a gamble. But if what you have isn't working, maybe a massive overhaul is what's needed. Fresh ideas.

Vandals attack Jacob Rees-Mogg's Somerset home on 10:00 - Aug 10 with 2667 viewsStokieBlue

Vandals attack Jacob Rees-Mogg's Somerset home on 09:47 - Aug 10 by BrixtonBlue

"I'm happy for everyone to have an opinion. I've not said otherwise so perhaps not to put words into my mouth."

"Why don't you let Callis answer for himself instead of continually jumping in?"

As to your edit - He's clarified now?!? He's basically agreed with what I said... and how it was very clear before. I'm not looking for arguments, just defending the basic logic. It looks like you were looking for an argument with Callis and now you've backed down. The situation is exactly as clear as it was before.

Disagree.

He clarified he felt that illegal means are justified in order to change social norms - he hadn't said that in the thread before and his view is now clear. I totally disagree with it but he's entitled to it.

Maybe if you weren't trying to be offended on behalf of other people and let them answer on their own behalf it would be easier for everyone.

SB
[Post edited 10 Aug 2018 10:01]

Avatar - M51 - The Whirlpool Galaxy - Taken on 29th April 2024

Vandals attack Jacob Rees-Mogg's Somerset home on 10:05 - Aug 10 with 2653 viewsBrixtonBlue

Vandals attack Jacob Rees-Mogg's Somerset home on 10:00 - Aug 10 by StokieBlue

Disagree.

He clarified he felt that illegal means are justified in order to change social norms - he hadn't said that in the thread before and his view is now clear. I totally disagree with it but he's entitled to it.

Maybe if you weren't trying to be offended on behalf of other people and let them answer on their own behalf it would be easier for everyone.

SB
[Post edited 10 Aug 2018 10:01]

Wow. That last line is incredible. That's exactly what you've done in this ...oh I see you've edited it.

Once again..."I'm happy for everyone to have an opinion. I've not said otherwise so perhaps not to put words into my mouth" and yet here we are again with you saying I shouldn't comment.

I give up.

I'm done.

Login to get fewer ads

Vandals attack Jacob Rees-Mogg's Somerset home on 10:09 - Aug 10 with 2645 viewsStokieBlue

Vandals attack Jacob Rees-Mogg's Somerset home on 10:05 - Aug 10 by BrixtonBlue

Wow. That last line is incredible. That's exactly what you've done in this ...oh I see you've edited it.

Once again..."I'm happy for everyone to have an opinion. I've not said otherwise so perhaps not to put words into my mouth" and yet here we are again with you saying I shouldn't comment.

I give up.

I'm done.

Once again it's not what I've said at all.

I said I was happy for everyone to have an opinion. I asked Callis and he gave it - that is different to hearing your interpretation of his opinion. I'm also very happy to hear your opinion on whether illegal means are acceptable if you don't agree with someone.

I really don't understand why this is an issue. I asked him a question, he answered, everything is good.

SB

Vandals attack Jacob Rees-Mogg's Somerset home on 10:10 - Aug 10 with 2642 viewsBrixtonBlue

Vandals attack Jacob Rees-Mogg's Somerset home on 19:44 - Aug 9 by StokieBlue

Spot on and something I've said months ago but obviously if you have confirmation bias and a huge blind spot it makes no difference.

SB

"...but obviously if you have confirmation bias..."

Ooh, someone's been reading Libby's 'Little Book Of Putdowns"

Vandals attack Jacob Rees-Mogg's Somerset home on 10:14 - Aug 10 with 2623 viewsStokieBlue

Vandals attack Jacob Rees-Mogg's Somerset home on 10:10 - Aug 10 by BrixtonBlue

"...but obviously if you have confirmation bias..."

Ooh, someone's been reading Libby's 'Little Book Of Putdowns"

It's not a put down, it's a well known psychological tendency which is mentioned weekly in a podcast I listen to. Nice of you to go back hunting for something to have a dig about though :).

Happy to provide the link if you fancy listening to it - it's very informative. Science based focusing on sceptical analysis.

SB

Vandals attack Jacob Rees-Mogg's Somerset home on 10:16 - Aug 10 with 2616 viewsBrixtonBlue

Vandals attack Jacob Rees-Mogg's Somerset home on 10:09 - Aug 10 by StokieBlue

Once again it's not what I've said at all.

I said I was happy for everyone to have an opinion. I asked Callis and he gave it - that is different to hearing your interpretation of his opinion. I'm also very happy to hear your opinion on whether illegal means are acceptable if you don't agree with someone.

I really don't understand why this is an issue. I asked him a question, he answered, everything is good.

SB

He agreed with my interpretation. My interpretation came from his actual words. Anyway, all good, let's move on.

My answer to your other point will probably sound like I'm sitting on the fence, but generally I'd say illegal means are not acceptable if you simply don't agree with someone.

However, there are (like with most things) exceptions. Revolutions are full of "illegal things' but which, with hindsight, were the right way to go. Sometimes laws are unjust. So in some situations, illegal means ARE acceptable if you don't agree with someone.

Vandals attack Jacob Rees-Mogg's Somerset home on 10:20 - Aug 10 with 2611 viewsBrixtonBlue

Vandals attack Jacob Rees-Mogg's Somerset home on 10:14 - Aug 10 by StokieBlue

It's not a put down, it's a well known psychological tendency which is mentioned weekly in a podcast I listen to. Nice of you to go back hunting for something to have a dig about though :).

Happy to provide the link if you fancy listening to it - it's very informative. Science based focusing on sceptical analysis.

SB

I didn't go hunting, it's a few posts ago. I just hadn't replied yet. Just seemed funny that I've only seen the phrase coming from Libbers on TWTD and then you pipe up with it.

Yes, I would actually like to have a listen to that podcast please. I'm always up for learning, and I have plenty of time on my hands for the next month.

Vandals attack Jacob Rees-Mogg's Somerset home on 10:20 - Aug 10 with 2606 viewschicoazul

Oh and BTW this is a perfect example of what Peterson talks about; woke will eat woke. No lefty is ever left enough.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

on 10:24 - Aug 10 with 2602 views_

Vandals attack Jacob Rees-Mogg's Somerset home on 10:20 - Aug 10 by chicoazul

Oh and BTW this is a perfect example of what Peterson talks about; woke will eat woke. No lefty is ever left enough.

Vandals attack Jacob Rees-Mogg's Somerset home on 10:26 - Aug 10 with 2596 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Vandals attack Jacob Rees-Mogg's Somerset home on 15:38 - Aug 9 by Seablu

Even if Libbers didn't show up, Dolly would start an argument in it.

"Will that be the 5 minute argument or the full half an hour".

Monty Python Argument Clinic..

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Vandals attack Jacob Rees-Mogg's Somerset home on 10:29 - Aug 10 with 2583 viewsimsureazzure

Vandals attack Jacob Rees-Mogg's Somerset home on 09:57 - Aug 10 by BrixtonBlue

Why are they "silly"? Because they have a different opinion to you?

I wouldn't be so sure they won't defeat this incompetent government. They got very close last time after coming from a long way behind.

I see this like Hurst at Ipswich. Some people are scared of change. Rightly so, it is a gamble. But if what you have isn't working, maybe a massive overhaul is what's needed. Fresh ideas.

The silliness is that this government could be easily defeated, but by a competent genuinely for the many left of centre movement, the dark shadowy movement that some have entrusted as the opposition will not.

Not a chance.
Vandals attack Jacob Rees-Mogg's Somerset home on 10:33 - Aug 10 with 2572 viewschicoazul

on 10:24 - Aug 10 by _

See what I mean?

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

on 10:34 - Aug 10 with 2569 views_

Vandals attack Jacob Rees-Mogg's Somerset home on 10:33 - Aug 10 by chicoazul

See what I mean?

Vandals attack Jacob Rees-Mogg's Somerset home on 10:41 - Aug 10 with 2550 viewschicoazul

on 10:34 - Aug 10 by _

https://www.louderwithcrowder.com/tracy-ullman-host-a-hilarious-woke-support-gro

on 10:43 - Aug 10 with 2549 views_

Vandals attack Jacob Rees-Mogg's Somerset home on 10:41 - Aug 10 by chicoazul

https://www.louderwithcrowder.com/tracy-ullman-host-a-hilarious-woke-support-gro

Vandals attack Jacob Rees-Mogg's Somerset home on 10:58 - Aug 10 with 2534 viewsGlasgowBlue

And in the interest of balance this is also wrong. Although far more low key than what happened to JRM's home.

This was put up outside Corbyn's home. A politician's home should be off limits to people who disagree with their views.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Vandals attack Jacob Rees-Mogg's Somerset home on 11:22 - Aug 10 with 2513 viewsRyorry

Vandals attack Jacob Rees-Mogg's Somerset home on 04:50 - Aug 10 by Benters2

Bang on.

I mean how does he know?

[Post edited 10 Aug 2018 5:17]

I thought he meant that he's older than Libero, therefore has more years' experience on the clock, but I could be wrong!

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Vandals attack Jacob Rees-Mogg's Somerset home on 11:51 - Aug 10 with 2483 viewsJ2BLUE

Vandals attack Jacob Rees-Mogg's Somerset home on 08:53 - Aug 10 by monytowbray

What credibility is that? Should I be upset and outraged by this? Is "Meh, this really isn't much of a big deal in the scheme of things in my view" (as I've said over and over) that much of an insane opinion to have?

I mean, if you want to shed a tear for a sexist homophobe you can.

Your last line really lifts the veil.

Callis the social justice warrior who will rally in defence of anyone and everyone will look the other way when these tactics are used against people he disagrees with. You’re a massive hypocrite.

As I posted earlier in the thread, Rees-Mogg said in 2013 that he would be ‘whipped’ by the Catholic Church. Since then we’ve had two elections and he’s been returned as an MP. I was told that by voting for Brexit I was responsible for any unintended consequences. His constituents knew the consequences in advance and returned him anyway. It should be them you have a problem with. Rees-Mogg has never been dishonest about his intentions. Him being a Catholic doesn’t make him fair game like you seem to think.

We have more people like you on both sides who think any tactics are acceptable against those who disagree with them. There is so little balance left. It’s so tedious. Next time you go into ultra offended mode to rally in defence of a certain group we’ll know if they were a group you disagreed with you wouldn’t really care.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Vandals attack Jacob Rees-Mogg's Somerset home on 12:17 - Aug 10 with 2459 viewsBrixtonBlue

Vandals attack Jacob Rees-Mogg's Somerset home on 11:51 - Aug 10 by J2BLUE

Your last line really lifts the veil.

Callis the social justice warrior who will rally in defence of anyone and everyone will look the other way when these tactics are used against people he disagrees with. You’re a massive hypocrite.

As I posted earlier in the thread, Rees-Mogg said in 2013 that he would be ‘whipped’ by the Catholic Church. Since then we’ve had two elections and he’s been returned as an MP. I was told that by voting for Brexit I was responsible for any unintended consequences. His constituents knew the consequences in advance and returned him anyway. It should be them you have a problem with. Rees-Mogg has never been dishonest about his intentions. Him being a Catholic doesn’t make him fair game like you seem to think.

We have more people like you on both sides who think any tactics are acceptable against those who disagree with them. There is so little balance left. It’s so tedious. Next time you go into ultra offended mode to rally in defence of a certain group we’ll know if they were a group you disagreed with you wouldn’t really care.

There will always be an element of not caring so much about someone you don't like or agree with getting attacked. That's very different from condoning it.

When Callis made the (obvious) joke about "shame they didn't burn his house down" I don't think for one second Callis actually wanted that to happen.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024