Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cricket: Alastair Cook retires after the next Test 12:00 - Sep 3 with 3467 viewsSteve_M

Thanks for everything Alistair.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/sep/03/alastair-cook-retires-england-inte

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Cricket: Alastair Cook retires after the next Test on 12:02 - Sep 3 with 3456 viewsbluewein

Shame he had to go out like this. Hopefully a couple of decent knocks in the last test so he can bow out with his head held high...

Poll: What should you have your gammon with...?

Cricket: Alastair Cook retires after the next Test on 12:26 - Sep 3 with 3406 viewsjimsymBLUE

Heroic sportsman. A truly class act on and off of the field. More class in his little finger than some of his high profile detractors will ever possess.
I had really hoped he would return to form at still a relatively young age and go on to 200 tests but alas it was not to be. I'll be at the Oval Saturday, think there might be a bit of dust in my eye
[Post edited 3 Sep 2018 13:46]

Poll: Who is the better contributor to this site?

Cricket: Alastair Cook retires after the next Test on 12:27 - Sep 3 with 3393 viewsSamuelowen88

This it's about time. He's not the player he used to be.
Going out on the high of beating the #1 ranked side in the world.

The bigger question is who the hell do we get in to replace him?

Jennings will get the next match, and was better in the one just gone. But could be looking for 2 new openers.

Poll: England v Wales Score

Cricket: Alastair Cook retires after the next Test on 12:28 - Sep 3 with 3392 viewsVic

A true great, and I have to admit that I hadn't quite realised the remarkable list of records he holds: (as per the BBC website)

- Most Test runs for England - 12,254
- Most Test centuries for England - 32
- Most 150+ scores by England player - 11
- Most Test appearances for England - 160
- Most consecutive Test appearances by any player - 158
- Most Tests as England captain - 59
- Most catches by England player - 173

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Cricket: Alastair Cook retires after the next Test on 12:29 - Sep 3 with 3386 viewsdavblue

Probably 18 months too late in all honestly. Although he's not been helped by different partners since Strauss retired.
Cricket: Alastair Cook retires after the next Test on 12:30 - Sep 3 with 3385 viewsvilanovablue

A little saddened by the news but not surprised his batting has sadly dropped away most noticeably this year but century aside he also had a tough ashes.

A remarkable batsman and when on song was virtually impossible to get out.
Cricket: Alastair Cook retires after the next Test on 12:35 - Sep 3 with 3368 viewsFtnfwest

a great career, given the teams struggles in terms of openers i was rater hoping he'd go on for another 12 months to play the aussies at home one last time. But there's no doubt he's struggled badly this year and in recent times generally. One regret is that unless he gets a couple of decent scores at the Oval he'll finish behind Chanderpaul in terms of runs scored who i think overall he's been better than. Edit - my mistake hes past CP, 150 short of Sangakkara
[Post edited 3 Sep 2018 12:42]
Cricket: Alastair Cook retires after the next Test on 12:37 - Sep 3 with 3355 viewsjudespiveyg

Just what our top order needed, more uncertainty over who's selected.

Cheers Alistair, a true great of English cricket and an absolute gentleman.

I survived Ipswich 0-0 Burton

Login to get fewer ads

Cricket: Alastair Cook retires after the next Test on 12:55 - Sep 3 with 3300 viewschicoazul

Cricket: Alastair Cook retires after the next Test on 12:26 - Sep 3 by jimsymBLUE

Heroic sportsman. A truly class act on and off of the field. More class in his little finger than some of his high profile detractors will ever possess.
I had really hoped he would return to form at still a relatively young age and go on to 200 tests but alas it was not to be. I'll be at the Oval Saturday, think there might be a bit of dust in my eye
[Post edited 3 Sep 2018 13:46]

Quite right. A great man in so many ways.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Cricket: Alastair Cook retires after the next Test on 12:59 - Sep 3 with 3287 viewsJakeITFC

Perhaps the end of an era for test cricket; a truly focused and selfish (in the good sense of the word) first class run scorer.

In this day and age of the game as it is, there really aren't many who play with such patience and respect of their wicket.
Cricket: Alastair Cook retires after the next Test on 13:15 - Sep 3 with 3243 viewssurreyblue

Cricket: Alastair Cook retires after the next Test on 12:28 - Sep 3 by Vic

A true great, and I have to admit that I hadn't quite realised the remarkable list of records he holds: (as per the BBC website)

- Most Test runs for England - 12,254
- Most Test centuries for England - 32
- Most 150+ scores by England player - 11
- Most Test appearances for England - 160
- Most consecutive Test appearances by any player - 158
- Most Tests as England captain - 59
- Most catches by England player - 173

What is even more staggering is how far ahead he is from #2 in most of those stats (of the ones I can easily find:

- Gooch: 8900
- Pieterson: 23 centuries
- Anderson: 142 tests
- Atherton: 54 tests as captain
- Strauss: 121 catches

Staggering career, lets hope he can knock off the 150 runs needed to go to 5th in the all time scoring rankings
Cricket: Alastair Cook retires after the next Test on 13:29 - Sep 3 with 3217 viewsEastTownBlue

Cricket: Alastair Cook retires after the next Test on 12:02 - Sep 3 by bluewein

Shame he had to go out like this. Hopefully a couple of decent knocks in the last test so he can bow out with his head held high...

Indeed. Timing these things is never easy but at least it will be following a series victory.

I remember being at Lord’s when Nasser Hussain hit a four to get his century. Then he got another four to win the test match. A couple of days afterwards he announced his retirement ... perfect.
[Post edited 3 Sep 2018 13:33]
Cricket: Alastair Cook retires after the next Test on 13:33 - Sep 3 with 3197 viewsSteve_M

Cricket: Alastair Cook retires after the next Test on 12:59 - Sep 3 by JakeITFC

Perhaps the end of an era for test cricket; a truly focused and selfish (in the good sense of the word) first class run scorer.

In this day and age of the game as it is, there really aren't many who play with such patience and respect of their wicket.

Yes, I'm there Saturday too. Hope very much to see him bat.

Cricket: Alastair Cook retires after the next Test on 13:39 - Sep 3 with 3177 viewsm14_blue

Cricket: Alastair Cook retires after the next Test on 13:53 - Sep 3 with 3146 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Must be a chance for Burns?

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Cricket: Alastair Cook retires after the next Test on 14:10 - Sep 3 with 3121 viewsWD19

Journos can start draft next summers content already......

England struggling vs Aussie opening bowlers whilst Cook reaches 1000 County Championship runs in June.......

Will knock the current Ian Bell conversation into a cocked hat.
Cricket: Alastair Cook retires after the next Test on 14:37 - Sep 3 with 3088 viewschristiand

He's been one of the best batsmen England have ever produced. It's a shame father-time has caught up with him, but that doesn't deflect away from what he has achieved in an England shirt and as the country's captain - the records speak for themselves. Pleased he has gone out on a series win and from a selfish point of view it'll be nice to see him play more regularly for the Essex boys next season, by Christ we need him!!!

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Cricket: Alastair Cook retires after the next Test on 14:55 - Sep 3 with 3080 viewsIpswichKnight

Cricket: Alastair Cook retires after the next Test on 14:37 - Sep 3 by christiand

He's been one of the best batsmen England have ever produced. It's a shame father-time has caught up with him, but that doesn't deflect away from what he has achieved in an England shirt and as the country's captain - the records speak for themselves. Pleased he has gone out on a series win and from a selfish point of view it'll be nice to see him play more regularly for the Essex boys next season, by Christ we need him!!!

Haven't done to badly without him! County champions and 3rd currently. It will be great to have him back though.
Cricket: Alastair Cook retires after the next Test on 14:59 - Sep 3 with 3074 viewsAce_High1

That is a shame, with his technique and level of fitness (never missed a test) he should have been able to go another couple of years at least and break even more records. Unfortunately his form over last two years has not been good and since he have given up the captaincy he has not been able to get back to being that fantastic run scorer he was around 2010-2012.

As others have said a class man and will be missed. We now need to find two opener - I might get my pads out!
[Post edited 3 Sep 2018 14:59]
(No subject) (n/t) on 18:55 - Sep 3 with 3016 viewschristiand

Cricket: Alastair Cook retires after the next Test on 14:55 - Sep 3 by IpswichKnight

Haven't done to badly without him! County champions and 3rd currently. It will be great to have him back though.

Don't let the league position fool you from 3rd to the bottom of the table, it's very tight. Generally our batting displays - in all facets of the game - have been too inconsistent all season. Chef will be welcomed back with open arms at the County Ground in Chelmsford!
[Post edited 3 Sep 2018 20:29]

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Cricket: Alastair Cook retires after the next Test on 07:04 - Sep 4 with 2940 viewsCoastalblue

I wonder if we'll ever see another opener of his ilk for England, capable of occupying the crease and accumulating runs.

The game has changed massively over the course of Cook's career, but he has been a true great. That series in OZ when they just couldn't get him out was a highlight for me.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Cricket: Alastair Cook retires after the next Test on 08:43 - Sep 4 with 2918 viewsSteve_M

Really, nice piece of writing here:

https://www.cricbuzz.com/cricket-news/103908/alastair-cook-an-england-giant-who-

No doubt there will be many of those this week.

Cricket: Alastair Cook retires after the next Test on 09:17 - Sep 4 with 2905 viewsAce_High1

Cricket: Alastair Cook retires after the next Test on 07:04 - Sep 4 by Coastalblue

I wonder if we'll ever see another opener of his ilk for England, capable of occupying the crease and accumulating runs.

The game has changed massively over the course of Cook's career, but he has been a true great. That series in OZ when they just couldn't get him out was a highlight for me.

That series in Australia was unbelievable. I never felt more confident in an opposition team not being able to get an England batsmen out than in that series. He was just toying with them, he barely gave a chance in a couple of those innings it was great watching the Aussies being ground down into the dirt.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024