Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sustainable eating 09:18 - Sep 5 with 10657 viewsStokieBlue

Quite an interesting article from the Guardian on sustainable eating:

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2018/sep/05/ditch-the-almond-milk-why-everythin

Obviously not all are workable in everyday life but it's an interesting read, especially around some of the carbon footprint statistics.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Sustainable eating on 09:24 - Sep 5 with 5463 viewschicoazul

Interesting article thanks for posting.

Here is what I have done around "sustainability"in food; I never have takeaway food or coffee, I grow my own herbs/use dried instead so no little plastic bags chucked in the bin anymore, and I only eat 2 meals a day.

EDIT; I also bought a rice cooker as I was throwing away loads of plastic bags of pre-cooked rice ( and I am hopeless at cooking rice on the hob)
[Post edited 5 Sep 2018 9:27]

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Sustainable eating on 09:33 - Sep 5 with 5455 viewsfooters

Sustainable eating on 09:24 - Sep 5 by chicoazul

Here is what I have done around "sustainability"in food; I never have takeaway food or coffee, I grow my own herbs/use dried instead so no little plastic bags chucked in the bin anymore, and I only eat 2 meals a day.

EDIT; I also bought a rice cooker as I was throwing away loads of plastic bags of pre-cooked rice ( and I am hopeless at cooking rice on the hob)

Yeah I started a little herb garden of my own this summer. Those little potted herbs from the supermarket are a bloody wizz- they know they won't grow properly like that, just creates more waste.

We get a veg box every week from the little city farm. Always something different in there so varies meals up a lot, and they'll let you know what's in the box a few days before so you can plan your meals.

Also finding a very good butcher was a godsend. Everything tastes better, probably lived a decent life and retains water/weight properly as it should. And you get the guy's decades of knowledge- any cut you want, off-cuts for stock, whatever you need.

Takeaway coffees are still my weakness here. But I think I'd look a bit of a weirdo going in with my own mug. Although might try it this morning now!

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Sustainable eating on 09:37 - Sep 5 with 5441 viewsStokieBlue

Sustainable eating on 09:33 - Sep 5 by footers

Yeah I started a little herb garden of my own this summer. Those little potted herbs from the supermarket are a bloody wizz- they know they won't grow properly like that, just creates more waste.

We get a veg box every week from the little city farm. Always something different in there so varies meals up a lot, and they'll let you know what's in the box a few days before so you can plan your meals.

Also finding a very good butcher was a godsend. Everything tastes better, probably lived a decent life and retains water/weight properly as it should. And you get the guy's decades of knowledge- any cut you want, off-cuts for stock, whatever you need.

Takeaway coffees are still my weakness here. But I think I'd look a bit of a weirdo going in with my own mug. Although might try it this morning now!

I wouldn't worry about that, seems most people (including me) use reusable cups now for coffee. You usually get 50p off in most places as well so pays for itself in no time.

SB

Sustainable eating on 09:50 - Sep 5 with 5424 viewsfooters

Sustainable eating on 09:37 - Sep 5 by StokieBlue

I wouldn't worry about that, seems most people (including me) use reusable cups now for coffee. You usually get 50p off in most places as well so pays for itself in no time.

SB

As a side note, here's something that's been annoying me for a while... Since when did pubs stop refilling your pint glass with the same beer? Makes no sense. I always ask them to refill as it doesn't make any sense to waste time, effort and water!

Sustainable eating on 09:56 - Sep 5 with 5401 viewschicoazul

Sustainable eating on 09:50 - Sep 5 by footers

As a side note, here's something that's been annoying me for a while... Since when did pubs stop refilling your pint glass with the same beer? Makes no sense. I always ask them to refill as it doesn't make any sense to waste time, effort and water!

Yeah this is so true. My local Spoons wont even countenance it. Fresh glass every time.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Sustainable eating on 10:52 - Sep 5 with 5356 viewsJ2BLUE

Thanks for posting. I don't think i'm too bad but I could do more.

I tend to buy new bags most times I go shopping as I usually buy more than I went in for. I also sometimes think it's only 10p so I won't bother taking a bag rather than thinking of the plastic used to make it.

I have had a Brita fill and go bottle for a couple of years and never used it.

I'm happily ditch the almond milk, those water stats are insane.

I am a sucker for express rice...I know it's lazy but it's so convenient.

I buy bottled water regularly but will get my Brita filter working. Another one i've had for years and not opened.

I try and recycle everything I can. Love Twinings tea but PG Tips are not fully biodegradable. Bought some and they aren't bad.

I sometimes guiltily don't make the effort with things like bread bags which can be recycled with carrier bags at big supermarkets simply because I don't know when i'll next be going. I can go weeks without a visit to a superstore.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Sustainable eating on 11:01 - Sep 5 with 5346 viewsDanTheMan

Sustainable eating on 10:52 - Sep 5 by J2BLUE

Thanks for posting. I don't think i'm too bad but I could do more.

I tend to buy new bags most times I go shopping as I usually buy more than I went in for. I also sometimes think it's only 10p so I won't bother taking a bag rather than thinking of the plastic used to make it.

I have had a Brita fill and go bottle for a couple of years and never used it.

I'm happily ditch the almond milk, those water stats are insane.

I am a sucker for express rice...I know it's lazy but it's so convenient.

I buy bottled water regularly but will get my Brita filter working. Another one i've had for years and not opened.

I try and recycle everything I can. Love Twinings tea but PG Tips are not fully biodegradable. Bought some and they aren't bad.

I sometimes guiltily don't make the effort with things like bread bags which can be recycled with carrier bags at big supermarkets simply because I don't know when i'll next be going. I can go weeks without a visit to a superstore.

I've got myself a composter, which is filling up nicely. No point in that all going into landfill.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Sustainable eating on 13:16 - Sep 5 with 5257 viewsSuperfrans

Sustainable eating on 09:24 - Sep 5 by chicoazul

The key to cooking rice on the hob...

tablespoon of oil in the saucepan.
stir in a mug-ful of brown rice so its coated with the oil.
stir in 1.5 times water in volume to the rice (so, 1.5 mugs of boiling water to 1 mug of rice).
bring to the boil and simmer until the water has all been absorbed (usually 25-35 mins).
perfect rice every time.

You're welcome...

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Login to get fewer ads

Sustainable eating on 13:19 - Sep 5 with 5247 viewsSuperfrans

Why don't pubs do tankards any more?
Your own tankard, hanging from above the bar, one receptacle all night...

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Sustainable eating on 13:19 - Sep 5 with 5246 viewsitfcjoe

Sustainable eating on 13:16 - Sep 5 by Superfrans

stir in 1.5 times water in volume to the rice (so, 1.5 mugs of boiling water to 1 mug of rice).
bring to the boil and simmer until the water has all been absorbed (usually 25-35 mins).
perfect rice every time.

You're welcome...

Just get one of these....

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Sustainable eating on 13:20 - Sep 5 with 5243 viewsJ2BLUE

Sustainable eating on 13:16 - Sep 5 by Superfrans

perfect rice every time.

You're welcome...

And 135 extra calories.

Truly impaired.

Sustainable eating on 13:25 - Sep 5 with 5227 viewsfooters

Sustainable eating on 13:19 - Sep 5 by Superfrans

Why don't pubs do tankards any more?
Your own tankard, hanging from above the bar, one receptacle all night...

The landlord of my local was telling me that the breweries are always pushing new glasses on to the pubs, which I suppose answers both of our questions really. Can't stand those weird Stella glasses with a stem- look bloody ridiculous!

Btw, I cook rice by the absorption method which I've always found works a treat too.

Same proportion of rice/water as yours, but just put it all in cold, heat on high until boiling, turn off the heat, cover and leave for 15 minutes. Never fails! Although that is white rice, not brown, which I'm guessing needs longer cooking?

Sustainable eating on 14:24 - Sep 5 with 5158 viewsmonytowbray

Weurd it has a dig at tofu and almond milk but no where did it state just give up or cut down on meat and dairy.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Sustainable eating on 14:28 - Sep 5 with 5142 viewsfooters

Sustainable eating on 14:24 - Sep 5 by monytowbray

Weurd it has a dig at tofu and almond milk but no where did it state just give up or cut down on meat and dairy.

The article is about debunking myths around sustainable foods though. I'm sure most people understand dairy farming at such scale isn't sustainable.

Sustainable eating on 14:29 - Sep 5 with 5137 viewsmonytowbray

Sustainable eating on 14:28 - Sep 5 by footers

The article is about debunking myths around sustainable foods though. I'm sure most people understand dairy farming at such scale isn't sustainable.

You’d be surprised!

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Sustainable eating on 14:40 - Sep 5 with 5114 viewsNo9

It is a good article but it doesn't really go far enough.
Food sciences should be taught as a basic subject in schools
There are many wild species of edible foodstuffs that never get harvested & plenty of meat too
Tomatoes can be grown in pots anywhere as long as they get sunlight and water - freezing is easy too
Herbs can be grown in pots and frozen.

Fishing is a nightmare

Why use plastic when greaseproof paper or baking parchment do the job?
Sustainable eating on 14:57 - Sep 5 with 5086 viewsStokieBlue

Sustainable eating on 14:24 - Sep 5 by monytowbray

The article isn't about converting people, it's about how to improve their current habits. It's not even entirely centred on the actual foods but the packaging etc.

Why is it a weird dig? The facts on almond milk and tofu are surely quite interesting? The more information the better I would have thought?

SB

Sustainable eating on 15:18 - Sep 5 with 5064 viewsSwansea_Blue

Years and years ago. A regulation change I think, but can't be sure.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Sustainable eating on 18:49 - Sep 5 with 4978 viewsSwansea_Blue

Sustainable eating on 14:40 - Sep 5 by No9

It is a good article but it doesn't really go far enough.
Food sciences should be taught as a basic subject in schools
There are many wild species of edible foodstuffs that never get harvested & plenty of meat too
Tomatoes can be grown in pots anywhere as long as they get sunlight and water - freezing is easy too
Herbs can be grown in pots and frozen.

Fishing is a nightmare

Why use plastic when greaseproof paper or baking parchment do the job?

Fishing certainly can be a nightmare. I’ve bad memories of freezing my pinky off down Sproughton for 8 hours for a couple of gudgeon

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Sustainable eating on 18:55 - Sep 5 with 4970 viewsHerbivore

Sustainable eating on 14:57 - Sep 5 by StokieBlue

The article isn't about converting people, it's about how to improve their current habits. It's not even entirely centred on the actual foods but the packaging etc.

Why is it a weird dig? The facts on almond milk and tofu are surely quite interesting? The more information the better I would have thought?

SB

The almond milk one is very interesting and I'll be looking at switching to oat milk I think.

The tofu one is a misleading. Yes, if you were to buy tofu made from soya beans in an area that has been subject to deforestation then that would be bad but somewhere between 75% and upwards of 90% of soya grown globally is for animal feed for the meat and dairy industry. Very little, if any, of the soya grown in the deforested areas of Brazil is used for anything other than animal feed. Certainly in the UK the commonly available brands of tofu are made from organic, non-GMO soya beans and not the intensively farmed cow-feed that comes from Brazil.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Sustainable eating on 20:03 - Sep 5 with 4927 viewsDubtractor

Interesting article, was reading it earlier on.

Good to see them debunking the idea that bio plastics are a great solution as they are not really.

Also good to highlight that whilst all plastic is feasibly recyclable, badly designed products ultimately won't be as the facilities set up for the processing and sorting have their own limitations. The worst product is black plastic "meat trays". Being black means that optical sorters struggle to separate it from other plastic types and it therefore often can't be recycled and despite retailers being encouraged to stop using it they won't. The reason? Consumers don't want to see the blood that comes out of meat and black packaging hides it.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Sustainable eating on 20:27 - Sep 5 with 4893 viewsjeera

Sustainable eating on 20:03 - Sep 5 by Dubtractor

Interesting article, was reading it earlier on.

Good to see them debunking the idea that bio plastics are a great solution as they are not really.

Also good to highlight that whilst all plastic is feasibly recyclable, badly designed products ultimately won't be as the facilities set up for the processing and sorting have their own limitations. The worst product is black plastic "meat trays". Being black means that optical sorters struggle to separate it from other plastic types and it therefore often can't be recycled and despite retailers being encouraged to stop using it they won't. The reason? Consumers don't want to see the blood that comes out of meat and black packaging hides it.

Why aren't packaging items such as meat trays recyclable, and are there any plans to force production of recyclables only in the [near] future?

*Do you know, I should say? As I realise you are involved in the industry in some form Dubbers.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Sustainable eating on 20:35 - Sep 5 with 4878 viewsJ2BLUE

Anyone watching Shop Well For Less on BBC1? How these two morons were allowed to reproduce I really don't know. The man especially is an utter moron.

Truly impaired.

Sustainable eating on 20:38 - Sep 5 with 4873 viewsReuser_is_God

Sustainable eating on 20:35 - Sep 5 by J2BLUE

Anyone watching Shop Well For Less on BBC1? How these two morons were allowed to reproduce I really don't know. The man especially is an utter moron.

Is it along the lines of Eat Well for Less?

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Sustainable eating on 20:41 - Sep 5 with 4869 viewsDubtractor

Sustainable eating on 20:27 - Sep 5 by jeera

Why aren't packaging items such as meat trays recyclable, and are there any plans to force production of recyclables only in the [near] future?

*Do you know, I should say? As I realise you are involved in the industry in some form Dubbers.

Its not that they can't be, more that due to their colour the optical sorters struggle to identify them - you need to consider that the volume and scale of these facilities are huge and it relies on automated processes to separate materials. Here is a bit of info:

http://www.wrap.org.uk/content/recyclability-black-plastic-packaging-0

The government/Defra are releasing a long awaited (waste has been a policy vacuum under this shambles of a government since 2010) resources and waste strategy later this year and part of that could/should be increased producer responsibility for the cost of treating/disposing of the materials that are put into the market place.

The current cost of collecting and treating waste sits wholly with councils and therefore the tax payer. This is an opportunity to push some of the cost burden back on the companies putting it into the market place and it could/might lead to better product design as companies look to reduce the cost burden upon them.

Of course, it will probably come to nothing or be a half arsed solution, though Michael Gove has been making the right noises and I think is keen to demonstrate that "Brexit Britain" can lead the way on environmental policy without the EU.
[Post edited 5 Sep 2018 20:42]

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024