Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Manchester 07:22 - Sep 25 with 4717 viewsMattinLondon

Hi
I’m thinking of moving up to Manchester and now doing some research into areas and houses.

Just wondering if anyone can recommend any parts of the city? Probably thinking more of it’s outskirts rather than the city itself. Any info will be greatly appreciated- the only thing being that a tram stop. must be close by

Thanks.

Manchester on 07:27 - Sep 25 with 3599 viewsWickwar_Blue

Didsbury seemed really nice when I stayed there and the Northern Quarter has some cracking bars!
Manchester on 07:31 - Sep 25 with 3584 viewsm14_blue

I've been round most of South Manchester and both Didsbury and Chorlton are decent.

Plenty going on locally but easy trip to town when necessary.
Manchester on 07:44 - Sep 25 with 3557 viewsMattinLondon

Manchester on 07:31 - Sep 25 by m14_blue

I've been round most of South Manchester and both Didsbury and Chorlton are decent.

Plenty going on locally but easy trip to town when necessary.

Ta. Didsbury seemed nice when I went up there earlier in the month. Chorlton however didn’t look all that great.
Manchester on 07:48 - Sep 25 with 3545 viewsKeno

Manchester, well dodgy.

some right odd people live up there!! havent you ever watched Corrie!!!

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Manchester on 07:49 - Sep 25 with 3544 viewsSamuelowen88

Depends how far out you want to be? Most places are train/tram into the centre.

Didsbury and Chorlton as other have said arenice and have a bit of a scene about them.
If you want something quieter then there are other places that are nice, we are just on the edge of the Peak District, and still only. 30/40 min train into Piccadilly

Poll: England v Wales Score

Manchester on 08:00 - Sep 25 with 3516 viewshoppy

Will you be changing your name to MattinManchester?

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Manchester on 08:14 - Sep 25 with 3487 viewsMattinLondon

Manchester on 08:00 - Sep 25 by hoppy

Will you be changing your name to MattinManchester?

I’m thinking MancMatt. But not too sure about that right now.
Manchester on 08:32 - Sep 25 with 3460 viewsSaleAway

Hi,
Most of South Manchester is pretty reasonable ( apart from Wythenshawe)... Didsbury is good, but you pay a massive premium for living there... ( are you buying or renting?). Chorlton looks a bit dingy, but has some great bars. Didsbury probably a bit "cooler", Chorlton a bit more "right on" if you know what I mean?

Where you work should probably have a strong influence on where you decide to live. Manchester traffic is *!&t... so if you're in the centre, you definitely want to be near a tram or train stop.

Sale and Altrincham are a bit more suburban, but Alty has a really good market & foody scene, and Sale is gaining a few better bars in the last few years.

Property prices in the area have still been going up, but its starting to top out now ( I think). Don't think you're going to pick up a bargain house here ( although its probably cheap compared to London, compared to most other places, its getting a lot more expensive).

If you want any more info, feel free to PM me - I live in Sale.

Poll: Which is less impressive?
Blog: Phoenix From the Flames

Login to get fewer ads

Manchester on 08:35 - Sep 25 with 3444 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Hulme used to be great but may have gone downhill more recently........maybe commute from Huddersfield.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Manchester on 08:35 - Sep 25 with 3442 viewsBasuco

Wilmslow, Knutsford and Didsbury are nice if you don't mind a short commute, a bit further out Northwich is lovely as well.
Manchester on 09:15 - Sep 25 with 3355 viewsfactual_blue

Burnley is an easy commute into Manchester.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Manchester on 09:21 - Sep 25 with 3344 viewsfactual_blue

Manchester on 08:32 - Sep 25 by SaleAway

Hi,
Most of South Manchester is pretty reasonable ( apart from Wythenshawe)... Didsbury is good, but you pay a massive premium for living there... ( are you buying or renting?). Chorlton looks a bit dingy, but has some great bars. Didsbury probably a bit "cooler", Chorlton a bit more "right on" if you know what I mean?

Where you work should probably have a strong influence on where you decide to live. Manchester traffic is *!&t... so if you're in the centre, you definitely want to be near a tram or train stop.

Sale and Altrincham are a bit more suburban, but Alty has a really good market & foody scene, and Sale is gaining a few better bars in the last few years.

Property prices in the area have still been going up, but its starting to top out now ( I think). Don't think you're going to pick up a bargain house here ( although its probably cheap compared to London, compared to most other places, its getting a lot more expensive).

As the home to many intellectuals and university staff, Didsbury had a very politically incorrect nickname 40 years ago when I was a student up there.

As a clue, what rhymes with 'Did', is a word associated with Spurs, and is deemed inoffensive by Phil?

Manchester on 09:22 - Sep 25 with 3343 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Are you looking for a house or a flat.

I lived in Castlefield on the edge of the city centre for 6 years and loved it.

If you want a tram you prob need to be Charlton or didsbury, but they are expensive.

What's your budget?

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Manchester on 09:31 - Sep 25 with 3320 viewsfactual_blue

Manchester on 07:48 - Sep 25 by Keno

Manchester, well dodgy.

Corrie....and Cotty.

Manchester on 09:45 - Sep 25 with 3298 viewshoppy

Manchester on 08:14 - Sep 25 by MattinLondon

I’m thinking MancMatt. But not too sure about that right now.

Priorities...

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Manchester on 09:48 - Sep 25 with 3293 viewsITFC_Forever

Take an umbrella.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Manchester on 09:52 - Sep 25 with 3284 viewsMattinLondon

Manchester on 07:48 - Sep 25 by Keno

Manchester, well dodgy.

weatherfield Is a bit too working class for me as I’m well posh
Manchester on 09:53 - Sep 25 with 3281 viewsMattinLondon

Manchester on 09:45 - Sep 25 by hoppy

Priorities...

It’s an important side issue to contemplate
Manchester on 09:54 - Sep 25 with 3278 viewsSwansea_Blue

You want to be in Altrincham innit. That's where moneyed southern types end up.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Manchester on 09:54 - Sep 25 with 3276 viewsMattinLondon

Manchester on 07:49 - Sep 25 by Samuelowen88

Depends how far out you want to be? Most places are train/tram into the centre.

Didsbury and Chorlton as other have said arenice and have a bit of a scene about them.
If you want something quieter then there are other places that are nice, we are just on the edge of the Peak District, and still only. 30/40 min train into Piccadilly

Oops. Sorry. Didn’t mean to downvote your helpfulness. Sorry.
Manchester on 09:55 - Sep 25 with 3271 viewsMattinLondon

Manchester on 08:32 - Sep 25 by SaleAway

Hi,

Thanks for this. Will do some more research and I’ll pm if I need further information. Ta.
Manchester on 09:56 - Sep 25 with 3270 viewsMattinLondon

Manchester on 08:35 - Sep 25 by BanksterDebtSlave

Hulme used to be great but may have gone downhill more recently........maybe commute from Huddersfield.

Never considered there. Thanks.
Manchester on 09:58 - Sep 25 with 3264 viewsWeWereZombies

Haven't been to Manchester for years but have you looked at Stockport or Hazel Grove?

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Manchester on 09:59 - Sep 25 with 3263 viewsMattinLondon

Manchester on 09:22 - Sep 25 by Marshalls_Mullet

Are you looking for a house or a flat.

I lived in Castlefield on the edge of the city centre for 6 years and loved it.

If you want a tram you prob need to be Charlton or didsbury, but they are expensive.

What's your budget?

Thanks. Will have a look at castleford.
Manchester on 10:00 - Sep 25 with 3260 viewsMattinLondon

Manchester on 09:58 - Sep 25 by WeWereZombies

Haven't been to Manchester for years but have you looked at Stockport or Hazel Grove?

No. Think Stockport may be a bit too far from work in central manc. But it’s earky days so will take a look. Ta.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024