Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Before Hurst was appointed 19:32 - Oct 3 with 9390 viewstextbackup

Who on here was calling for him, and what are your thoughts on it all?
(In no way a dig, just wondering how you guys now view it)
Remember ther being a few that were really bigging him up, genuinely can’t recall who tho

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Before Hurst was appointed on 19:32 - Oct 3 with 5112 viewsDanTheMan

I wanted Ross more but thought Hurst would be about as good an appointment as we could get otherwise.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Before Hurst was appointed on 19:34 - Oct 3 with 5095 viewsBlueBadger

At the time, he, along with Ross, he seemed like the sort of bloke who was ideally suited to the job, based on what we knew about him at the time.
[Post edited 3 Oct 2018 19:37]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Hi Texters..... on 19:35 - Oct 3 with 5100 viewsBloots

Well it's not my job to..... by Bloots 25 Mar 2018 17:03
....scour the world looking for a manager, it's the job of our clueless owner.

But personally I like Paul Hurst at Shrewsbury.

McClaren has been coaching in one way or another for 23 years, he's just a relatively easy option for Evans and nothing more than a safe pair of hands.

Again.

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

Before Hurst was appointed on 19:35 - Oct 3 with 5087 viewsJ4ck22

I wanted Ross more, but I was still excited about Hurst and thought he'd be a great fit. Currently however, I'm very much teetering over the edge. Very frustrating.
Before Hurst was appointed on 19:40 - Oct 3 with 5061 viewsSitfcB

I think I wanted Ross after we all got excited at the prospect and it looked a certainty.

Was kind of happy with Hurst but felt a bit ‘second prize’ if you get what I mean. Can’t say I have felt a proper connection with Hurst yet either, something doesn’t feel right.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Before Hurst was appointed on 19:43 - Oct 3 with 5020 viewswallyvincent

Thought he was the real deal how wrong can you be!

“....he’s a young tearaway by the name of Wally Vincent” - DCI Frank Haskins, Metropolitan Police Flying Squad 1975

Before Hurst was appointed on 19:45 - Oct 3 with 5010 viewsm14_blue

I thought his record meant he was the obvious choice. Consistent success on a low budget and not one of the merry go round journeymen just marking their card until retirement.

Been really disappointed so far, both on and off the pitch.

I think we may already be past the point of no return for many fans and that's not a good place to be in early October.

Imagine we'll get another Mick type who will come in and stabilise and we'll be back to grinding around in lower midtable at the best.

Depressing.
Before Hurst was appointed on 19:51 - Oct 3 with 4989 viewsjas0999

I also wanted ROSS as he played more attack minded football. But Hurst seemed like a decent option, but to an extent it’s irrelevant what any of us wanted. Evans was keen and it was his decision. Little did we know that PH isn’t up to the job.
Login to get fewer ads

Before Hurst was appointed on 19:51 - Oct 3 with 4989 viewsColchesterBlue1985

I wanted him, he was my 2nd or 3rd choice behind Paul cook and McInnes.

What I didn’t want or expect was for him to sell every proven striker (I know they wanted to go just saying I didn’t expect it) and being in an avalanche of unproven l1/2 players.

I think there is a good manager in there somewhere but won’t be for us under this regime. We need a manager who runs the club from top to bottom as Evans is not capable but is not MM as that had clearly run its course on both sides.
Before Hurst was appointed on 19:52 - Oct 3 with 4986 viewsstrikalite

Most of us were happy with Hurst, he ticked all our boxes, lower League Manager who had a small Club playing decent stuff and virtually top of the league throughout the season, that was enough for most of us...

Watched Shrews at Peterborough last season and they looked damn good, organized and you could see why they were top of the League, hey, what was not to like?
Before Hurst was appointed on 19:52 - Oct 3 with 4984 viewsJ2BLUE

Before Hurst was appointed on 19:40 - Oct 3 by SitfcB

I think I wanted Ross after we all got excited at the prospect and it looked a certainty.

Was kind of happy with Hurst but felt a bit ‘second prize’ if you get what I mean. Can’t say I have felt a proper connection with Hurst yet either, something doesn’t feel right.

Exactly this. Hurst was my second or third choice, definitely behind Ross and possibly behind Lampard, I can't remember.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Hi Texters..... on 19:57 - Oct 3 with 4951 viewshomer_123

Hi Texters..... on 19:35 - Oct 3 by Bloots

Well it's not my job to..... by Bloots 25 Mar 2018 17:03
....scour the world looking for a manager, it's the job of our clueless owner.

But personally I like Paul Hurst at Shrewsbury.

McClaren has been coaching in one way or another for 23 years, he's just a relatively easy option for Evans and nothing more than a safe pair of hands.

Again.

Ah....for a safe pair of hands!

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Before Hurst was appointed on 20:01 - Oct 3 with 4934 viewsIllinoisblue

not him in particular but was very definitely bought into the idea of a young and hungry manager wanting to have a go and doing it with lower league recruits rather than tired old mick's journeymen.

Fook me, sounded great in theory......

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Before Hurst was appointed on 20:15 - Oct 3 with 4889 viewshomer_123

I wasn't against appointing him.

I remember saying at the time though, that his sides are pragmatic. It's not always stylish football, he was happy to mix it up to get wins. We were never going to see free flowing football under him.

I said at the time, he's Mick V2.0.

It's turning out to be more Vista than windows 8 though.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Before Hurst was appointed on 20:17 - Oct 3 with 4863 viewsIllinoisblue

the caveat though, of course, is not knowing at the time that we'd lose all our best players. Surprisingly, replacing Championship-quality players with up and comers from League 1 and 2 hasn't worked too well

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Before Hurst was appointed on 20:23 - Oct 3 with 4845 viewsHerbivore

I wanted him here and was one of the few who felt he was a better bet than Ross for two main reasons. Firstly, he'd done an excellent job in the English leagues so had a better track record. Secondly, I thought he'd represent evolution rather than revolution which I thought was what we needed. A lot of people wanted a revolution, we ended up getting one (a little unexpectedly) and it's all gone wrong.

I'm on the fence currently, there are still glimmers that it could turn around and he's only about 15 weeks in so it'd be a very, very early sacking. I don't want us to be that kind of club. On the other hand I genuinely worry he might not be up to it right now and the job is too big for him.
[Post edited 3 Oct 2018 20:53]

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Before Hurst was appointed on 20:35 - Oct 3 with 4787 viewsjeera

We were sold a pup.

Although I've never quite understood that saying 'cos I really like dogs.

But there you go.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Before Hurst was appointed on 20:45 - Oct 3 with 4753 viewsFtnfwest

Didn’t know hurst really before we went in for him. Like others I liked the look of Ross but being based over in Hertfordshire would have loved Nathan Jones, he’s just totally into Luton on every level, absolutely passionate about the club which if nothing else I thought we could improve on MM in relation to.
Had we gone for a more experienced manager in the summer then my preference would have been war Burton and right now still is if we drop hurst
Before Hurst was appointed on 01:43 - Oct 4 with 4574 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Before Hurst was appointed on 19:32 - Oct 3 by DanTheMan

I wanted Ross more but thought Hurst would be about as good an appointment as we could get otherwise.

Agree, but I wasn't totally sure about Hurst like I was Ross.

I watched the play off final between Shrewsbury and Rotherham and Shrewsbury were terrible apart from 10 minutes near the start of the second half when they scored. I remember at the time thinking they didn't have a single good footballer and wondering how they had finished 3rd.

League One is about percentage football, no risks, and I knew that Hurst was known for this type of football.

Ross' St Mirren side on the other hand got tha ball on the deck, passed and attacked with vim. They played with a swagger.

Anyway Lampard was Evans' first choice but the Derby manager was underwhelmed by the budget which he would have had to work with.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

Before Hurst was appointed on 07:11 - Oct 4 with 4483 viewsNorthern_Blue81

Before Hurst was appointed on 01:43 - Oct 4 by The_Last_Baron

I watched the play off final between Shrewsbury and Rotherham and Shrewsbury were terrible apart from 10 minutes near the start of the second half when they scored. I remember at the time thinking they didn't have a single good footballer and wondering how they had finished 3rd.

League One is about percentage football, no risks, and I knew that Hurst was known for this type of football.

Ross' St Mirren side on the other hand got tha ball on the deck, passed and attacked with vim. They played with a swagger.

Anyway Lampard was Evans' first choice but the Derby manager was underwhelmed by the budget which he would have had to work with.

IF Evans wanted Lampard he should have bloody well paid for his services and given him the money he wanted.

On that basis you assume Hurst asked for no budget and a much lower salary.

Pay peanuts get Hurst's.

Blimey.
Before Hurst was appointed on 07:21 - Oct 4 with 4464 viewsReuser_is_God

I think Bloots was his biggest cheer leader.

I wanted Jack Ross but when Hurst got the job I was more than happy with the appointment.

My biggest concern at the time was that, based purely on the few times I watched Shrewsbury last season, he was a mini Mick.
[Post edited 4 Oct 2018 7:24]

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Before Hurst was appointed on 07:25 - Oct 4 with 4445 viewsReuser_is_God

Before Hurst was appointed on 01:43 - Oct 4 by The_Last_Baron

‘Rubbish apart from the first 10 minutes of the second half’

That’s been the case in a fair chunk of our games this season too.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Before Hurst was appointed on 07:27 - Oct 4 with 4442 viewsgazzer1999

My post in reply to is Lampard a perfect match for Ipswich :

Lampard/Ipswich a perfect fit for me on 17:44 - May 20 by LeoMuff

Madness, what managerial skills had Lampard shown to impress ? This is one of the toughest jobs in the league when you account for budget and expectations. If we employ someone who has never managed before we are fools.

Hurst or Ross tick all the boxes.

Hurst / Ross tick al the boxes? why? Ross has zero experience in the championship, most people had no idea who he was until last month. So he won the Scottish 2nd Division (Championship) big deal they lost to falkirk in April and they finished 3rd bottom. Hurst they finished 3rd in the 3rd division (Div1) 9 points behind the team that finished 2nd with a certain Mr Mowbray in charge, far better choice than either of them. I still find it hard to see why we are looking at these people, I remember when we went down this road with John Duncan, total disaster.
If we really want a change then appoint Frank Lampard, but lets also look at the coaching staff already here are they any worse than who we have looked at? As long as a senior coach such as Brian Klug worked with Frank he could be the man.
I am totally uninspired by Ross or Hurst. I think I could manage in Scotland especially if in charge of Celtic where you are guaranteed to win the treble as there is no opposition, so God knows what it like in the lower leagues playing in front of attendances in the very low thousands, thats worse than non league attendances.
Before Hurst was appointed on 07:36 - Oct 4 with 4415 viewsMoisha

If we were going the lower league route it was Nathan Jones from Luton for me.

Was happy with either Ross or Hurst, not getting the early win has done for confidence and resorted to desperation.
Before Hurst was appointed on 07:37 - Oct 4 with 4412 viewsbackwiththeboysagain

Was slightly disappointed when Ross went to Sunderland, and would’ve been happy with Steijn. When Hurst was announced I thought it was a great appointment to be fair, someone young and from the lower league. Just a shame he’s so far out of his depth that I’ve wanted him gone since the Hull game, too many faults for my liking plus the rumours of his and Doig’s attitude worry me, if he’s here in January can see Bart going and us getting relegated.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024