Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Evans 12:08 - Oct 29 with 9902 viewsburian

I cannot understand the constant carping about Evans. He is not a Saudi with billions nor a Thai billionaire. Yes, he`s wealthy but not stupidly rich and he has been loyal to the Club after Sheepy and near bankruptcy. It`s football finances that have gone crazy. gone are the days when your average footballer had a part time job to supplement his player`s wages
Evans on 15:24 - Oct 29 with 3720 viewswkj

January 2015, end of

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Evans on 15:45 - Oct 29 with 3703 viewscasanovacrow

Yes it's expensive to run a football club but he decided to take on that responsibility.
If an owner expects their club to compete they need to fund that appropriately.
Evans on 16:10 - Oct 29 with 3684 viewssotd78

Evans on 15:15 - Oct 29 by christiand

For me, ME just chooses to do everything on the cheap. Money is spent at a minimum, investment on the ground is non existent and it shows. The club is creaking at the knees with the need of some proper investment, not a plaster to try and hold us together. It's small little things on matchdays where the cost cutting is evident. It's a think small mentality approach and he's finally reaping what his investment deserves, a club languishing at the bottom of the table struggling to compete both on and off the pitch. All his penny pinching has finally caught up with him!! He's got left behind and investing what he did a decade ago, things have moved on, but sadly ME hasn't! Don't get me started on some woeful appointments either we could be here all night!! To me, he is a reactive owner rather than a proactive one, if something occurs then he reacts by that time it's too late.
[Post edited 29 Oct 2018 15:20]

For me it is a little strange that someone who earns money from corporate events can invest so little in what we do and what we are.

The playing side is one part of the whole football club experience. That means set a budget and work to it - if as an owner you want to underwrite things up to say £6 million loss then by all means do so. What I struggle with is that in the past two years I don't see that figure being true. Now, of course, to maintain our status he'll have to firefight with more wonga than would have been needed if the investment had been done well and properly.

Then there's the whole match day experience. What a great idea the Fan Zone is. The PA and flag bearers and pre-game music is all well done. But before we even get there we are faced with a gauntlet of poor transport. Then the stadium - take a look at the Cobbold Stand - it's tatty. The North - filthy and crumbling. The East of England Co-op stand looks like one of their stores - tired, old, shabby. The seat I sit in is rusting, the plastic faded. The catering is pathetic. The whole pre- and during-match feeling is "we're tired and old and already half beaten".

Evans of all people should understand that a event relies much on vibes; a frontage that looks the part. Yet with his own toy he fails dismally. Possibly because he doesn't actually own it; cannot monetise it and thus cannot be bothered.

Well guess what- after ten years ten thousand others who cannot be bothered have stopped bothering too.

Blue shirts/white shorts - sotd78

Evans on 17:12 - Oct 29 with 3655 viewsbraveblue

What about his appointments. Managers, MDs, not spending when we could have gone up, selling our best players in the summer and making a £5m profit? Please think before replying.
Evans on 18:24 - Oct 29 with 3628 viewsgt81

When you look at where we were when he took over, and where we are now, we have gone backwards by some margin.

I don't know if anyone has the exact number, but I shudder to think how many players have been and gone in the last 10-11 years, many of whom will have cost loan fees and wages, not to mention all those players during the Clegg years whose contracts were left to run down and left for nothing.

Now, the managers he employed obviously made some very poor choices in the transfer market, but imagine if the remit had been to invest in a decent spine to the side, one that could form the nucleus of a decent team, and supplement that with cheaper players and youth we'd probably be looking a lot healthier today.

When our current loanees return to their parent clubs, our squad will be even more paper thin than it ever was over the last decade. We are short of both quality and quantity all over the pitch, yet we've seen maybe 200 players come and go over the last decade.

Remember the time when we were a few players and a decent manager short of a promotion push? Long gone.
Evans on 18:40 - Oct 29 with 3614 viewsVic

Evans on 12:27 - Oct 29 by Swansea_Blue

People aren't being koi about it, that's for sure.

That’s ruddy true (as Jonwarkswilly would say)

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Evans on 18:49 - Oct 29 with 3606 viewsmrshallisfit

Evans on 12:10 - Oct 29 by Burwell_Blue

"spend more money" "10million isnt a lot of money to spend" "doing it on a shoestring"

Getting sick to the back teeth of hearing drivel like that.

The guys is a millionaire and can spend his cash as he sees fit. Until such time that others also stop their 9-5 mundane jobs and make something of themselves, they will have to put up with it and stop moaning.

What a cretin you sound.
Evans on 19:06 - Oct 29 with 3593 viewsMach_foreignBlue

If Mike Ashley or other dodgy owners see the opening post they must be jealous and thinking: 'Evans should count himself lucky to have such a gutless fanbase as whatever he does they will aceept it. Wish I had a picnic like that'.

A timid and docile Ipswich fanbase scared of changes and they'd rather to drift along with Evans in charge for another 20 years.

If we are in League One next season Evans will be 'funding' the deals for Gillingham and Southend rejects to fill the gaps in the team. Yet he will be still defended by some. He honestly should count himself lucky with this fanbase.
Login to get fewer ads

word up, sister (n/t) on 19:08 - Oct 29 with 3585 viewsDyland

Evans on 16:10 - Oct 29 by sotd78

For me it is a little strange that someone who earns money from corporate events can invest so little in what we do and what we are.

The playing side is one part of the whole football club experience. That means set a budget and work to it - if as an owner you want to underwrite things up to say £6 million loss then by all means do so. What I struggle with is that in the past two years I don't see that figure being true. Now, of course, to maintain our status he'll have to firefight with more wonga than would have been needed if the investment had been done well and properly.

Then there's the whole match day experience. What a great idea the Fan Zone is. The PA and flag bearers and pre-game music is all well done. But before we even get there we are faced with a gauntlet of poor transport. Then the stadium - take a look at the Cobbold Stand - it's tatty. The North - filthy and crumbling. The East of England Co-op stand looks like one of their stores - tired, old, shabby. The seat I sit in is rusting, the plastic faded. The catering is pathetic. The whole pre- and during-match feeling is "we're tired and old and already half beaten".

Evans of all people should understand that a event relies much on vibes; a frontage that looks the part. Yet with his own toy he fails dismally. Possibly because he doesn't actually own it; cannot monetise it and thus cannot be bothered.

Well guess what- after ten years ten thousand others who cannot be bothered have stopped bothering too.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Evans on 19:10 - Oct 29 with 3582 viewsMach_foreignBlue

Evans on 13:24 - Oct 29 by artsbossbeard

Apart from making town avoid admin for a second time, 10 point deduction and subsequent relegation, what has Marcus Evans ever done for us?
[Post edited 29 Oct 2018 13:25]

Threads like this or anything anti-Evans aren't good for your health and sanity.

Because you are cool where we have been with Evans as an owner aren't you? Because it is not all about that 'devil' Premier League isn't it? How dare anyone dream of that?

Moreover, that Evans Out Facebook group what terrorists they were, eh?
Evans on 19:23 - Oct 29 with 3565 viewsartsbossbeard

Evans on 19:10 - Oct 29 by Mach_foreignBlue

Threads like this or anything anti-Evans aren't good for your health and sanity.

Because you are cool where we have been with Evans as an owner aren't you? Because it is not all about that 'devil' Premier League isn't it? How dare anyone dream of that?

Moreover, that Evans Out Facebook group what terrorists they were, eh?

You're becoming obsessed, man.

Have a green tea, chill out and buy the club.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Evans on 19:38 - Oct 29 with 3540 viewsMach_foreignBlue

Evans on 19:23 - Oct 29 by artsbossbeard

You're becoming obsessed, man.

Have a green tea, chill out and buy the club.

Yep, as obsessed you have been in the last few years bashing anyone who have been voicing anti-Evans feelings. Keep clapping !
Evans on 19:38 - Oct 29 with 3540 viewsRegencyBlue

Evans on 14:30 - Oct 29 by Burwell_Blue

But it is his company. So what, realistically, does it have to do with you? You are simply a customer.

In my opinion he is slowly killing the club I have supported for well over forty years so I shall express my thoughts about it at every opportunity!

He’s lucky I’m still a customer as well because there are thousands who no longer are.
Evans on 19:45 - Oct 29 with 3523 viewsTexaco73

The 'constant carping' as you put it, is because ultimately he owns the club and is responsible for the direction and position the club is now in.

His role in the club's decline is clear to see and cannot be written off as on field misfortune.

The club has been run under austerity conditions financially which has lead to austerity on the pitch too.

True, the costs of football club ownership appears to be spiralling upwards but that is the nature of it.

If you bought a nice big shiny boat, you can't b1tch about the rising cost of servicing and filling it with fuel. If you cut corners, don't clean it and put crappy fuel in it. It's going to breakdown and be worth a lot less.
Evans on 23:44 - Oct 29 with 3445 viewsBrightonEye

Evans on 16:10 - Oct 29 by sotd78

"For me it is a little strange that someone who earns money from corporate events can invest so little in what we do and what we are. "

And therein lies the mystery. Those of us on the outside are left wondering how this baffling paradox can ever have come about. An easy conclusion is that Evans has too many irons in foreign fires to justify investing further time and money on an all-too-visible emblem of self-inflicted corporate failure and appalling decision-making.

No wonder he decided to remove the MEG logo from his team's shirts.

Ipswich fans deserve far better, but it's hard to see who else would want to take the club on in present circumstances. But benefactors can suddenly appear from the most unexpected direction. Just ask those Leicester supporters...
Evans on 00:27 - Oct 30 with 3428 viewsWarhurst

The entitlement of some fans (not just ITFC) that some owners should put in more of their own money, is staggering. Marcus Evans is clearly losing money overall despite the odd season of profit. Money really is ruining football.
Evans on 08:10 - Oct 30 with 3372 viewsCoastalblue

I think Evans gets things wrong, a lot. I think personally the best investment he could make would be to employ a football or at least sporting experienced MD to run the club for him rather than just having a corporate mouthpiece.

In terms of monetary investment beyond that without knowing his personal wealth or an idea of MEG profits (which I doubt we ever will) then I don't really know what he can afford to invest, nor do we know what he's willing to in the next 12-24 months, we could actually be seeing a change of tack.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Evans on 11:25 - Oct 31 with 3312 viewsstewartm

Evans on 12:46 - Oct 29 by Burwell_Blue

Not really no. Its his debt, which he can wipe in an instant.

Its operating costs which he would have to decide was worth persevering with on a yearly basis.

Oh god are you on another planet? its debt and that's it whether it is his or not. If he were to wipe it out why run the debt up in the first place? the interest he is charging is crippling Ipswich operational costs are you too stupid to wake up to this? Since he took over this club EVERYTHING has gone down hill do you not realise this?

Poll: How long will Lamburke survive this season?

Evans on 11:43 - Oct 31 with 3300 viewschicoazul

Evans has been a catastrophe for us as an Owner. Everyone is entitled to carp all they want.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Evans on 11:45 - Oct 31 with 3296 viewsartsbossbeard

Evans on 11:25 - Oct 31 by stewartm

Oh god are you on another planet? its debt and that's it whether it is his or not. If he were to wipe it out why run the debt up in the first place? the interest he is charging is crippling Ipswich operational costs are you too stupid to wake up to this? Since he took over this club EVERYTHING has gone down hill do you not realise this?

Can you outline the interest charges for us thicko's, please?

A simple YTD model would be great, no spreadsheet required. Ta.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Evans on 11:55 - Oct 31 with 3279 viewschicoazul

Evans on 18:24 - Oct 29 by gt81

When you look at where we were when he took over, and where we are now, we have gone backwards by some margin.

I don't know if anyone has the exact number, but I shudder to think how many players have been and gone in the last 10-11 years, many of whom will have cost loan fees and wages, not to mention all those players during the Clegg years whose contracts were left to run down and left for nothing.

Now, the managers he employed obviously made some very poor choices in the transfer market, but imagine if the remit had been to invest in a decent spine to the side, one that could form the nucleus of a decent team, and supplement that with cheaper players and youth we'd probably be looking a lot healthier today.

When our current loanees return to their parent clubs, our squad will be even more paper thin than it ever was over the last decade. We are short of both quality and quantity all over the pitch, yet we've seen maybe 200 players come and go over the last decade.

Remember the time when we were a few players and a decent manager short of a promotion push? Long gone.

You would think it really is as simple as this, yet some people still act like we owe him thanks for this dreadful situation he has delivered us because he "saved" the club 10 year ago.

In every possible measurable way the club has gone backwards under Evans. He has made catastrophic senior appointments, overseen crowds dwindle, overseen debt rise, overseen a dull matchday experience, overseen the slow deterioration of PR, and served us some of the worst football most of us can remember as we tumble to rock bottom of the league.

And the worst thing is the fans are still out there as we saw just the other month against Norwich. They just choose not to come because of the result of the decisions Evans has taken. He is utterly utterly useless.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Evans on 12:09 - Oct 31 with 3258 viewsBurwell_Blue

Calm down son.

Send me the paperwork which backs up your claims (annotated please, as you are clearly more knowledgeable than me in financial matters)

Many Thanks!
[Post edited 31 Oct 2018 12:10]
Evans on 12:20 - Oct 31 with 3244 viewsjjblue84

Is taking a club ready to return to the premier league and turning it into a club ready for the 3rd division what you mean by loyalty? Because if it is, we don’t want that kind of ‘loyalty’ thank you very much!
Evans on 12:37 - Oct 31 with 3225 viewscasanovacrow

I imagine the debt value is of little consequence so long as the owner wants to carry it.
It's just a shame he obviously hasn't seen the benefits of more significant investment instead of trying to live within our means. We can probably blame Keane and Clegg for that.
Evans on 12:39 - Oct 31 with 3221 viewsstonojnr

Evans on 15:15 - Oct 29 by christiand

For me, ME just chooses to do everything on the cheap. Money is spent at a minimum, investment on the ground is non existent and it shows. The club is creaking at the knees with the need of some proper investment, not a plaster to try and hold us together. It's small little things on matchdays where the cost cutting is evident. It's a think small mentality approach and he's finally reaping what his investment deserves, a club languishing at the bottom of the table struggling to compete both on and off the pitch. All his penny pinching has finally caught up with him!! He's got left behind and investing what he did a decade ago, things have moved on, but sadly ME hasn't! Don't get me started on some woeful appointments either we could be here all night!! To me, he is a reactive owner rather than a proactive one, if something occurs then he reacts by that time it's too late.
[Post edited 29 Oct 2018 15:20]

is it his attitude, or simply the attitude of the people working for him at the club ?

for instance many many times we talk of the lack of interest the club has of actually selling food & drink before the game, half time or post match.

twice Ive been lately and Legends has been closed after the game, last time I queried the club and they wouldnt even tell me why.

I doubt Evans has an edict that says "thou must be useless at selling pints of beer & pies", theyve signed a catering deal and drinks pouring deals and are expecting the club/staff on the ground to get on with delivering that.

and it struck me most when firstly when a few years back was it one of the bar managers was found to have not been putting the bar takings in the safe and it took several weeks to notice, and whenever Milne is questioned on catering at the fans forum.

The people day to day running the club and managing it,so nothing really to do with Evans, do not have an understanding or clue how many of the bars are open, how much beer & food they are actually selling, or how much money they are expecting to make from it.

you would go out of business if you ran a pub like that because they simply dont know the numbers.

similarly with the programmes, clear they dont understand the volumes needed so they either print too few, or print too many, even though I guarantee the volumes are probably pretty stable in terms of % of attendance.

those are just two aspects where you could argue Evans should take a closer look as to why the business side of the club isnt delivering, but he isnt a hands on owner, thats not his thing, its down to the people at the club to make it work. and I think thats where alot of the idea ME does things on the cheap comes from, its not that he does things on the cheap, its that the people making those decisions running the club,seem to do things cheaply because they arent operating with a blank chequebook.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024