Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Something Lambert seems to have that Hurst lacked. 11:09 - Oct 30 with 5866 viewsMVBlue

Watching his press conference and remembering him from the past, its Gravitas, that command of his audience, mutual respect and authority.
[Post edited 30 Oct 2018 11:10]

Poll: Whats the best league to watch outside of England?

Something Lambert seems to have that Hurst lacked. on 11:11 - Oct 30 with 5031 viewsBackToRussia

Good word.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

Something Lambert seems to have that Hurst lacked. on 11:11 - Oct 30 with 5042 viewsskyblue23

Also before anybody has made any mistakes he is already taking the blame off the players saying he is the one telling them what to do, if they make a mistake it's down to him. Hurst was very much the opposite.

Poll: Paul Lambert moves on, would you be happy if Jim Magilton was given another go?

Something Lambert seems to have that Hurst lacked. on 11:14 - Oct 30 with 4985 viewsPJH

Seeing your headline I thought you were going to say height.
Paul Lambert is listed as 5 foot 11 inches on wiki.
Something Lambert seems to have that Hurst lacked. on 11:35 - Oct 30 with 4823 viewshomer_123

At the risk of repeating myself...this is an area that I think is largely irrelevant.

It matters not what a manager says or how he says it. Actions, simply actions is what we are interested in.

Think of it like a doctor - would you rather a doctor with a great bedside manager and wonderful interpersonal skills but can't diagnose for toffee or a doctor that can't talk, is gruff and somewhat rude but can diagnose and sort you out.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Something Lambert seems to have that Hurst lacked. on 11:49 - Oct 30 with 4689 viewsGeoffSentence

Something Lambert seems to have that Hurst lacked. on 11:35 - Oct 30 by homer_123

At the risk of repeating myself...this is an area that I think is largely irrelevant.

It matters not what a manager says or how he says it. Actions, simply actions is what we are interested in.

Think of it like a doctor - would you rather a doctor with a great bedside manager and wonderful interpersonal skills but can't diagnose for toffee or a doctor that can't talk, is gruff and somewhat rude but can diagnose and sort you out.

I think you underestimate the importance of bedside manner on both sides of that analogy.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Something Lambert seems to have that Hurst lacked. on 11:50 - Oct 30 with 4683 viewsTerry_Nutkins

Something Lambert seems to have that Hurst lacked. on 11:35 - Oct 30 by homer_123

It definitely isnt! Your example are two completely different professions. We're talking leadership and motivation here. I would say one of the most important attributes not the least!

Poll: Genuine answers please on what you would choose next season!

Something Lambert seems to have that Hurst lacked. on 11:54 - Oct 30 with 4639 viewsIllinoisblue

I don’t know, Hurst in his interviews was always looking away from the camera, kinda shifty looking. And THAT is why he failed. Although maybe having the worst ITFC squad in living history had something to do with it too

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Something Lambert seems to have that Hurst lacked. on 12:00 - Oct 30 with 4563 viewshomer_123

Something Lambert seems to have that Hurst lacked. on 11:50 - Oct 30 by Terry_Nutkins

It definitely isnt! Your example are two completely different professions. We're talking leadership and motivation here. I would say one of the most important attributes not the least!

Not at all.

Leaders, lead by example. They are primarily judged by their actions and how they behave - people mirror them.

Whilst gravitas is important - some of the worlds best leaders are terrible at public speaking, conversation and can lack gravitas. Actions speak volumes and are far, far more important.
[Post edited 30 Oct 2018 12:00]

Login to get fewer ads

Something Lambert seems to have that Hurst lacked. on 12:02 - Oct 30 with 4536 viewshomer_123

Something Lambert seems to have that Hurst lacked. on 11:54 - Oct 30 by Illinoisblue

I don’t know, Hurst in his interviews was always looking away from the camera, kinda shifty looking. And THAT is why he failed. Although maybe having the worst ITFC squad in living history had something to do with it too

Think about what you've written Illy.

What you are saying, is that because he looked away from a camera or looked a little shift he 'failed'? Seriously, is that your ascertain of exactly why he failed?

Are you suggesting therefore, that had he had a bit of bravado and talked the talked in a presser conference, we'd be sitting mid-table or in the top six?

Really?

Something Lambert seems to have that Hurst lacked. on 12:02 - Oct 30 with 4535 viewsconnorscontract

Something Lambert seems to have that Hurst lacked. on 11:54 - Oct 30 by Illinoisblue

Slight typo there: change "having the worst ITFC squad in living history" to "recruiting the worst ITFC squad in living history".

He sold Waghorn and Garner. He brought in replacements for them, and others.
Something Lambert seems to have that Hurst lacked. on 12:05 - Oct 30 with 4480 viewshomer_123

Something Lambert seems to have that Hurst lacked. on 11:49 - Oct 30 by GeoffSentence

I think you underestimate the importance of bedside manner on both sides of that analogy.

Now then, what's interesting is that from a patients perspective they clearly want 'both' - great bedside manners coupled with fantastic diagnosis skills.

However, the reality is (and I've been fortunate enough to have been involved in a huge amount of research around this) the personality types that end up being Consultants, GPs, Surgeons et al have, shall we say, certain characteristics that means there is a reason why they achieve and become extremely good at what they do - one of the traits that you find (and you may have heard of) is a 'God like' complex - where talking down and communication isn't at a level the patient would want etc.

However, that doesn't detract from their ability to provide excellent care, diagnosis, surgery etc.

So - whilst people may 'want' a leader or a GP to have great communication skills - for them to actually achieve - it is not a pre-requisite and doesn't dictate how successful a leader they are.

Something Lambert seems to have that Hurst lacked. on 13:32 - Oct 30 with 4211 viewsRoyKeanesDog

Also - the ability to successfully manage a Championship football club.

Poll: Best Football Song

Something Lambert seems to have that Hurst lacked. on 13:34 - Oct 30 with 4181 viewsSwansea_Blue

Nah. It's part of being a leader. You can't be a leader if nobody want to follow.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Something Lambert seems to have that Hurst lacked. on 13:46 - Oct 30 with 4095 viewsKing_ding_a_lin_g

As a matter of fact, I think you are right but PL's tone and comments show us what his attitude is towards the job and is a small glimpse of the sorts of things he will be saying to the players.

There are two ways of communicating... the right way and the wrong way and I think it became evident that PH just could not get through to the players and they hadn't bought in to his way. He hadn't communicated correctly with them, verbally or otherwise.

I was impressed with PL's press conference because of the small things he said and how he said them. He isn't going to take any cr@p and he clearly wants to take them pressure off the players so that they can express themselves.

If the doctor in your example that can't communicate but gets the right diagnosis doesn't make me believe he is going to get the right diagnosis and doesn't make me trust him then I would probably end up going elsewhere for another opinion anyway.
Something Lambert seems to have that Hurst lacked. on 13:52 - Oct 30 with 4057 viewsThrobbe

Something Lambert seems to have that Hurst lacked. on 12:02 - Oct 30 by homer_123

What you are saying, is that because he looked away from a camera or looked a little shift he 'failed'? Seriously, is that your ascertain of exactly why he failed?

Are you suggesting therefore, that had he had a bit of bravado and talked the talked in a presser conference, we'd be sitting mid-table or in the top six?

Really?

That would explain why the Dark Lord goes down in history as one of our greatest managers.

Oh.

TWTD Cycling Herbert

Something Lambert seems to have that Hurst lacked. on 13:57 - Oct 30 with 4023 viewsbluefunk

Something Lambert seems to have that Hurst lacked. on 12:05 - Oct 30 by homer_123

Now then, what's interesting is that from a patients perspective they clearly want 'both' - great bedside manners coupled with fantastic diagnosis skills.

However, the reality is (and I've been fortunate enough to have been involved in a huge amount of research around this) the personality types that end up being Consultants, GPs, Surgeons et al have, shall we say, certain characteristics that means there is a reason why they achieve and become extremely good at what they do - one of the traits that you find (and you may have heard of) is a 'God like' complex - where talking down and communication isn't at a level the patient would want etc.

However, that doesn't detract from their ability to provide excellent care, diagnosis, surgery etc.

So - whilst people may 'want' a leader or a GP to have great communication skills - for them to actually achieve - it is not a pre-requisite and doesn't dictate how successful a leader they are.

The comparison isn’t really like for like though, doctors are brought in for a specific task, ie to remedy poor health, and that gives them leeway to be imperfect communicators while they do it, because as an individual who is at risk, one has limited options to go elsewhere, and as a breed doctors are inherently trusted

Notwithstanding the poor health of ITFC in this comparison, football managers come in all shapes and sizes ( be interesting to repeat your research on them as a breed) and have a very wide range of credibility, let alone trust, among the very broad church of interested parties.

As a club in need of rescuing then, we need a leader to unite all parties in this process, including those who aren’t really at risk, which at a football club means quite a few people who can walk away if it does go wrong. So a proper leader is required, one who can communicate a strategy, clearly and in a way which creates “followership” (I think that’s the expression)

If PH communicated with the players the way he spoke at press conferences, then no wonder no one was clear about what was expected of them, as it seemed not one question was given an unequivocal response. That shouldn’t be an issue with Lambert.
Something Lambert seems to have that Hurst lacked. on 14:24 - Oct 30 with 3933 viewsRyorry

I noticed that - and knew immediately from the photos just after his last game in charge that he was gone. Body language was of a desperate, beaten man.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Something Lambert seems to have that Hurst lacked. on 14:36 - Oct 30 with 3883 viewsRyorry

Something Lambert seems to have that Hurst lacked. on 12:05 - Oct 30 by homer_123

They are completely different things because whereas surgeons and consultants do perform themselves, football managers obv do not have any game time actually on the pitch, and are entirely dependent on their players performing for them. They are therefore completely dependent on their ability to lead and communicate their wishes to players.

In such a confidence-dependent activity as pro football, non-verbal comms incl bodylanguage are clearly crucial. Which is why I said in another thread that PL immediately exuding confidence and an ability to relax people in his presence is so reassuring. People can't perform at their best when they're on edge and tensed up for fear of making mistakes.

Something Lambert seems to have that Hurst lacked. on 14:50 - Oct 30 with 3847 viewsIllinoisblue

Something Lambert seems to have that Hurst lacked. on 12:02 - Oct 30 by homer_123

Really?

spoiler: I wasn't being serious

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Something Lambert seems to have that Hurst lacked. on 16:08 - Oct 30 with 3664 viewscatch74

I’d rather have a doctor who looked and sounded like he knew what he was doing and then did it.
Someone has commented that Hurst has assembled the worst squad in ITFC history, Lambert will inherit this.
Let’s see if the man with gravitas who’s willing to take the blame and pressure off the squad can do better than the one who shovelled the s##t straight back onto his players.

Fingers crossed.

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

Something Lambert seems to have that Hurst lacked. on 16:46 - Oct 30 with 3511 viewshomer_123

Something Lambert seems to have that Hurst lacked. on 14:50 - Oct 30 by Illinoisblue

spoiler: I wasn't being serious

I consider myself 'whoossed'

Something Lambert seems to have that Hurst lacked. on 17:34 - Oct 30 with 3374 viewsNo9

Personality?
Something Lambert seems to have that Hurst lacked. on 17:36 - Oct 30 with 3368 viewsRyorry

Something Lambert seems to have that Hurst lacked. on 17:34 - Oct 30 by No9

Personality?

Bit harsh that.

Something Lambert seems to have that Hurst lacked. on 18:22 - Oct 30 with 3213 viewstiptreeblue

Something Lambert seems to have that Hurst lacked. on 12:02 - Oct 30 by connorscontract

Slight typo there: change "having the worst ITFC squad in living history" to "recruiting the worst ITFC squad in living history".

He sold Waghorn and Garner. He brought in replacements for them, and others.

Can you still not grasp the fact that Garner & Waghorn WANTED to leave?. really, good grief
Something Lambert seems to have that Hurst lacked. on 18:30 - Oct 30 with 3175 viewsWhymarkmariner

AS with ITFC I'd rather not be sick in the first place.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024