Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Would you relocate for your 'dream' job? 15:32 - Nov 30 with 8658 viewsclive_baker

Or has anyone?

Goes a little against my approach of working to live rather than living to work, as in why should I let work dictate where I want to live? BUT...we spend a lot of time at work don't we, and if the place also happens to be nice then there's an argument for it, right?

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Would you relocate for your 'dream' job? on 10:56 - Dec 1 with 793 viewshampstead_blue

Would you relocate for your 'dream' job? on 16:05 - Nov 30 by chicoazul

Having worked at home for 2 years now my brother, there is good and bad to it. Like any job of course.

I too now work from home.

I get to spend too much time here looking at your friendly avatar and debating stuff.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Would you relocate for your 'dream' job? on 11:03 - Dec 1 with 782 viewsLord_Lucan

Would you relocate for your 'dream' job? on 03:22 - Dec 1 by itfcjoe

People of my generation will say the same about the EU when they are your age

That's a disturbing thought

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Would you relocate for your 'dream' job? on 11:04 - Dec 1 with 782 viewshampstead_blue

Would you relocate for your 'dream' job? on 06:34 - Dec 1 by TractorWood

I work in finance and about 10 years ago was scouting around for a 2 year contract somewhere exotic, as like many other people have said, didn't have any financial responsibilities.

I was in theory keen for a role in Bermuda but when I investigated it, it appeared to be basically one of the most expensive places to live because it's a beautiful tax haven with some infrastructure. I remember doing some rough calculations and after the salary uplift but paying a huge amount to rent a house and things like the internet being $100pcm, it made little sense. Just trying to comfort you, that it might not have been a huge mistake. Jobs in the Caribbean in finance seem reasonably plentiful as there's a perception that the reality doesn't match the dream.

The jobs in very desirable places to experience like the US, Canada and Japan seem very few and far between. Probably because in my experience, any really sweet gig will more often than not be hoovered up by internal secondments or if the company have a base there, they may try to find someone local who they don't have to pay relocation expenses to.

It's a topic that really interests me but I've been lucky enough to travel to Asia a bit with work, which is what I've always wanted to do.

Good point and you're right.

I wasn't going for the money and a friend was already living there working as a Doctor. He did it for the crack.
It would have been for the sheer love of it rather than saving cash.

One problem in my old game is that when you come back to the UK you can't get a seat. All your clients are back there and won't/can't come with you.
In effect you're a cheap asset gatherer.

When you come back you've got no 'book' so are unemployable. Again that wouldn't have bothered me as I'd just sold mine.

If you can make it cash neutral then it does show well on your CV.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Would you relocate for your 'dream' job? on 12:06 - Dec 1 with 758 viewsThisIsMyUsername

Would you relocate for your 'dream' job? on 19:32 - Nov 30 by Lord_Lucan

It's very difficult to motivate yourself working from home, you tend to end up doing b@gger all and sitting around in your "Comfys"

RKDs best mates dad works from home but he gets up every morning and puts a suit on!

I feel like it's for people who haven't succeeded in finding the job which they enjoy and which motivates them in the morning to go to work. So instead the thought of 'well I will do something where I can work from home' is like a defence mechanism for having not found your calling in life.

Just my two cents. I'm sure some people love it.

Poll: Which of these events will happen the soonest?

Would you relocate for your 'dream' job? on 12:43 - Dec 1 with 743 viewsSwansea_Blue

Would you relocate for your 'dream' job? on 16:48 - Nov 30 by Joey_Joe_Joe_Junior

I assume its much harder if married with kids and over 40.

Only got a year left out here as it stands
[Post edited 30 Nov 2018 16:48]

It can be “much harder”, but more normally it’s completely prohibitive. You may end up with a partner who’s willing to follow you, but that’s far from guaranteed as they may have their own career ambitions.

In short, make the most of it while you can. And if continually travelling is a must for you, make sure you settle with someone who feels the same. Otherwise you can easily end up stuck and feel trapped.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Would you relocate for your 'dream' job? on 12:55 - Dec 1 with 731 viewsjaseitfc

YES

done it more than once, would do it again.

Relocating, especially to a different country is perhaps the most enriching thing you can do. You learn so much about yourself, and you become a far stronger person by going out of your comfort zone and challenging yourself with a completely new environment - its also exciting too. I just came back to the UK after 4 years oversees (1.5 years in Spain, 2.5 years in Peru), and I almost certainly will go abroad again in 5 years time or so.

Its not easy and it is stressful, but it is so rewarding and to me is an example of living to the full, and getting everything out of life.
Would you relocate for your 'dream' job? on 14:28 - Dec 1 with 707 viewsRyorry

Would you relocate for your 'dream' job? on 16:44 - Nov 30 by bluelagos

You have moved once, so sure you can do it again. You'll always make new friends as you did in London.

Any big city will have lots of transient people who come and go. The only place I've not been straight into it is when living in small villages. Have found the small minded attitudes much less welcoming in my experience. (Got called an outsider just the other day :-) )

Only advice on job is I always looked at a job and said "What would be my next move after?". If it had an obvious next role then I was happy it was taking me forward.

If your wife is up for it, that's a big plus. And if you are moving out of London you can end up with a lot more house. Only downside is moving back can be difficult moneywise (when you are used to a big house)

As a wife who followed husband when he had to move back to London from Yorkshire (which was a move I always knew was coming, yet we both knew I'd lived in London before & not enjoyed it), I'd just add that it can place an extra strain on a relationship, esp if there are other problems such as financial and also, in our case, having to gut and renovate the flat that we bought whilst still living in it precisely because of the financial difficulties you mention of buying back into London - he'd sold his previous flat. Obviously much depends on individual circumstances. Not a decision to be made quickly!
[Post edited 1 Dec 2018 14:32]

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Would you relocate for your 'dream' job? on 14:41 - Dec 1 with 697 viewsFreddies_Ears

I relocated several times, within and outside UK, and always benefited, professionally, financilaay, socially, culturally. I came back when missing football trumped all of those considerations!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024