Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
This is a bit look at me but I need your advice 10:49 - Dec 31 with 7854 viewsBrixtonBlue

Where to go for my first alcoholic drink in a year. It needs to be fairly epic (but not quite as epic as say Australia) because I need a good ending for the book (might have mentioned I'm writing a book about it).

Anyway, myself and my work wife are planning a road trip for that first drink/ending of the book. We've narrowed it down to;

Oban in Scotland - remote distillery on an island, for a fine whisky.
Bushmills in NI - whiskey at the oldest distillery in the world.
Wine in Paris.
Beer in Amsterdam.

The first two fit the epicness best... but I'm more of a beer man than a whisk(e)y drinker.

What do you reckon out of these? Or is there something else you'd throw into the ring?

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

This is a bit look at me but I need your advice on 10:51 - Dec 31 with 4271 viewsITFC_Forever

Go to the Hamilton Hall at Liverpool Street, drink five pints of weak lager and then behave like a tw*t, but say it's all in the name of epic bantz.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

This is a bit look at me but I need your advice on 10:52 - Dec 31 with 4253 viewsStokieBlue

If you are going beer it should probably be Bruges rather than Amsterdam.

Falklands brewery?
https://falklandbeerworks.com/

UK's most remote pub?
https://www.travelandleisure.com/food-drink/bars-clubs/the-old-forge-most-remote

You've not said how much you want to spend but you must have loads saved from not drinking all year?

SB
[Post edited 31 Dec 2018 10:53]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

This is a bit look at me but I need your advice on 10:53 - Dec 31 with 4237 viewsReuser_is_God

Just go to a 'spoons like any other person with an alcohol problem would.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

This is a bit look at me but I need your advice on 10:54 - Dec 31 with 4229 viewsGunnsAirkick

If you like beer, I'd say Bruges or Ghent!
This is a bit look at me but I need your advice on 10:54 - Dec 31 with 4220 viewsjjblue84

What’s the book about?
on 10:55 - Dec 31 with 4226 views_

This is a bit look at me but I need your advice on 10:55 - Dec 31 with 4218 viewsStokieBlue

This is a bit look at me but I need your advice on 10:54 - Dec 31 by jjblue84

What’s the book about?

Jordan Spence I think.

SB

This is a bit look at me but I need your advice on 10:56 - Dec 31 with 4210 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Don't do it. The ending of the book can be your realisation that you don't need it.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Login to get fewer ads

This is a bit look at me but I need your advice on 10:56 - Dec 31 with 4208 viewsfooters

I'd buy a big bottle of something and drink it next to the water somewhere. Tie a long piece of string to the bottle and throw it in to keep it cool. Drink straight from the bottle, no glasses.

No people to deal with, a lovely view and enough plonk to send you sideways- sounds ideal to me!

P.S. You should have put some money aside from what you've been saving to buy some kinda mega bottle, like a Chambertin or summat.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

This is a bit look at me but I need your advice on 11:01 - Dec 31 with 4178 viewsCheltenham_Blue

This is a bit look at me but I need your advice on 10:56 - Dec 31 by footers

I'd buy a big bottle of something and drink it next to the water somewhere. Tie a long piece of string to the bottle and throw it in to keep it cool. Drink straight from the bottle, no glasses.

No people to deal with, a lovely view and enough plonk to send you sideways- sounds ideal to me!

P.S. You should have put some money aside from what you've been saving to buy some kinda mega bottle, like a Chambertin or summat.

You need some kind of caveat to that. Manchester ship canal for example, would not fit in with your particular idyll.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

This is a bit look at me but I need your advice on 11:02 - Dec 31 with 4169 viewsHeathlander

Flying Scotsman Near Kings Cross.

Make sure you take plenty of £1 coins with you.
This is a bit look at me but I need your advice on 11:02 - Dec 31 with 4162 viewseireblue

Stay in this brewery http://www.westkerrybrewery.ie.

You can always visit here for some shorts http://www.dingledistillery.ie
This is a bit look at me but I need your advice on 11:03 - Dec 31 with 4160 viewsfooters

This is a bit look at me but I need your advice on 11:01 - Dec 31 by Cheltenham_Blue

You need some kind of caveat to that. Manchester ship canal for example, would not fit in with your particular idyll.

Oooh, I dunno. Some of my best drinking memories have been in the shadiest of places. Manchester ship canal could look like Venice if the plonk's strong enough!

But point taken. How about Sizewell?

This is a bit look at me but I need your advice on 11:04 - Dec 31 with 4147 viewsStokieBlue

This is a bit look at me but I need your advice on 11:03 - Dec 31 by footers

Oooh, I dunno. Some of my best drinking memories have been in the shadiest of places. Manchester ship canal could look like Venice if the plonk's strong enough!

But point taken. How about Sizewell?

Wouldn't work, the water there is warm as it's used to cool the reaction rods.

SB

This is a bit look at me but I need your advice on 11:05 - Dec 31 with 4128 viewsBenters2

This is a bit look at me but I need your advice on 10:51 - Dec 31 by ITFC_Forever

Go to the Hamilton Hall at Liverpool Street, drink five pints of weak lager and then behave like a tw*t, but say it's all in the name of epic bantz.

Well yeah obviously the right answer they do have a fine selection of ales.
This is a bit look at me but I need your advice on 11:06 - Dec 31 with 4128 viewsfooters

This is a bit look at me but I need your advice on 11:04 - Dec 31 by StokieBlue

Wouldn't work, the water there is warm as it's used to cool the reaction rods.

SB

Way to spoil my nuclear beach party, SB. Facts have no place on TWTD as you well know. And I prefer my Blue Nun at room temperature anyway.

This is a bit look at me but I need your advice on 11:07 - Dec 31 with 4120 viewsStokieBlue

This is a bit look at me but I need your advice on 11:06 - Dec 31 by footers

Way to spoil my nuclear beach party, SB. Facts have no place on TWTD as you well know. And I prefer my Blue Nun at room temperature anyway.

Well it's lovely for a swim.

SB

This is a bit look at me but I need your advice on 11:07 - Dec 31 with 4120 viewsBrixtonBlue

This is a bit look at me but I need your advice on 10:52 - Dec 31 by StokieBlue

If you are going beer it should probably be Bruges rather than Amsterdam.

Falklands brewery?
https://falklandbeerworks.com/

UK's most remote pub?
https://www.travelandleisure.com/food-drink/bars-clubs/the-old-forge-most-remote

You've not said how much you want to spend but you must have loads saved from not drinking all year?

SB
[Post edited 31 Dec 2018 10:53]

Those are excellent suggestions, thanks Stokers.

I've worked out over the course of the year I'll have saved £5k. Don't want to go crazy on the trip moneywise though (so Falklands might be too much of a trek) as the work wife doesn't have the benefit of that money!

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

This is a bit look at me but I need your advice on 11:08 - Dec 31 with 4108 viewsfooters

This is a bit look at me but I need your advice on 11:07 - Dec 31 by StokieBlue

Well it's lovely for a swim.

SB

And a spot of fishing!

This is a bit look at me but I need your advice on 11:11 - Dec 31 with 4091 viewsBrixtonBlue

on 10:55 - Dec 31 by _

It's a really good point Libbers. Would make the ending of the book quite poignant... but also, perhaps, dull. Might be good if I did the epic thing, then 'realised' what you've said when I'm there. Best of both worlds!

This is a bit look at me but I need your advice on 11:13 - Dec 31 with 4078 viewsBrixtonBlue

This is a bit look at me but I need your advice on 10:56 - Dec 31 by Cheltenham_Blue

Don't do it. The ending of the book can be your realisation that you don't need it.

Similar thinking to Libbers... but might make the ending a bit dull.

This is a bit look at me but I need your advice on 11:14 - Dec 31 with 4072 viewsPinewoodblue

If you are going to bushmills they do interesting tours and provide suitable refreshments before and after.

You might need to hurry though if we have a hard Brexit. All the ingredients, apart from water, are imported from the Republic

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

This is a bit look at me but I need your advice on 11:15 - Dec 31 with 4059 viewsStokieBlue

This is a bit look at me but I need your advice on 10:56 - Dec 31 by Cheltenham_Blue

What if he actually wants a pint?

SB

This is a bit look at me but I need your advice on 11:20 - Dec 31 with 4031 viewsBenters2

Not meaning to be funny but if you have managed to go with out a beer for a year why bother having one now?
This is a bit look at me but I need your advice on 11:21 - Dec 31 with 4035 viewsfooters

This is a bit look at me but I need your advice on 11:13 - Dec 31 by BrixtonBlue

Similar thinking to Libbers... but might make the ending a bit dull.

That's the point really, isn't it- you don't need to drink. Familiarity often breeds contempt and people don't necessarily enjoy drinking if they do it all the time. Moderation makes it all that more special.

You'd soon get sick of fillet steak if you ate it every day. (Amateur steak choice tho, tbh.)

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024