Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
IPSWICH RUE LOSING 'DULL' McCARTHY, Martin Samuel today 08:54 - Jan 8 with 15259 viewstpsontour

IPSWICH RUE LOSING 'DULL' McCARTHY, Martin Samuel

ANOTHER thrilling weekend for Ipswich. Having driven out Mick McCarthy last season on the grounds his football wasn't exciting enough, the adventures just keep coming.

On Saturday, Ipswich succumbed to a thrilling 1-0 FA Cup defeat at Accrington Stanley. The club is already on its second manager of the season, is 10 points shy of safety, bottom of the Championship and has won two League games all season. Owner Marcus Evans is so excited by it all, he wants to sell.

The fact is, McCarthy was doing a very creditable job in trying circumstances, as he has through much of his career. When he left Millwall in 1995-96 they were 14 points off relegation, and ended up going down. He departed Wolves in 2012 when they had just entered the relegation zone in 18th place on goal difference, but had the same points total as Queens Park Rangers in 16th. They went down too, bottom of the league, 12 points plus goal difference adrift of safety.

As for Ipswich, they were 12th when McCarthy left last season and have won three games since. There are a lot of managers out there who make poorly run clubs seem good, and never get the credit for it. McCarthy's detractors at Ipswich craved excitement. Now, it would seem, they have more than they can handle.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-6566775/Callum-Hudson-Odoi-sh
IPSWICH RUE LOSING 'DULL' McCARTHY, Martin Samuel today on 09:53 - Jan 8 with 3437 viewspointofblue

IPSWICH RUE LOSING 'DULL' McCARTHY, Martin Samuel today on 09:31 - Jan 8 by Herbivore

In fairness the booing and discontent from the ardent Mick out brigade started long before he said or did anything towards the fans. It was quite a long time later that he snapped, after the fans quickly turned on him when we were drawing away at Burton whilst sat in the top 6 in October last season. With hindsight you can see why that might have pissed him off. We won the game too.

With a bit of diplomacy Mick could have headed the boo boys off very early though.

“I understand the fans frustrations as this football club is known for an exciting, dynamic style of play and we’re not really there yet. It is a work in progress and it will take time but please bare with us...”

In truth the biggest ‘disaster’ for Mick, looking back, was the 5-1 defeat at Reading in September 2015. We’d had a decent start to the season and were playing some good stuff - we didn’t deserve to lose 5-1 at the Madejski, we’d played well - but it seemed to affect Mick more than it should have done and he returned to his tried and tested approach.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

IPSWICH RUE LOSING 'DULL' McCARTHY, Martin Samuel today on 10:08 - Jan 8 with 3411 viewstextbackup

Added to my list of people’s houses I want to blow up.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

IPSWICH RUE LOSING 'DULL' McCARTHY, Martin Samuel today on 10:11 - Jan 8 with 3406 viewsBluefish

IPSWICH RUE LOSING 'DULL' McCARTHY, Martin Samuel today on 10:08 - Jan 8 by textbackup

Added to my list of people’s houses I want to blow up.

I'll never know how super Mick got under your skin to dominate you so much. You never seem to mention keane Jewell or Hurst but super Mick is there every day.

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

IPSWICH RUE LOSING 'DULL' McCARTHY, Martin Samuel today on 10:16 - Jan 8 with 3398 viewsFtnfwest

IPSWICH RUE LOSING 'DULL' McCARTHY, Martin Samuel today on 09:47 - Jan 8 by Herbivore

Attendances have halved? In what time frame?

I'm giving up on irony.
IPSWICH RUE LOSING 'DULL' McCARTHY, Martin Samuel today on 10:25 - Jan 8 with 3377 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

IPSWICH RUE LOSING 'DULL' McCARTHY, Martin Samuel today on 09:01 - Jan 8 by ElephantintheRoom

True enough but the lazy hack mentions, but seems to ignore the common thread of MM's management. He ALWAYS leaves chaos and relegation in his wake. Once might have been unlucky, twice unfortunate. But EVERY time?

I honestly don’t get this argument.

Surely him having us consistently mid table and steady (albeit somewhat boring) is not leaving us in chaos. He overachieved but because Hurst was sh*t and the owner is clueless, that doesn’t mean Mick leaving us with a team that Hurst dismantled was ‘chaotic’

Poll: Would you take a draw tonight if offered right now?

IPSWICH RUE LOSING 'DULL' McCARTHY, Martin Samuel today on 10:27 - Jan 8 with 3374 viewstextbackup

IPSWICH RUE LOSING 'DULL' McCARTHY, Martin Samuel today on 10:11 - Jan 8 by Bluefish

I'll never know how super Mick got under your skin to dominate you so much. You never seem to mention keane Jewell or Hurst but super Mick is there every day.

I don’t believe I’ve mentioned him?
The OP is about Martin S is it not?

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

IPSWICH RUE LOSING 'DULL' McCARTHY, Martin Samuel today on 10:30 - Jan 8 with 3366 viewsBluefish

IPSWICH RUE LOSING 'DULL' McCARTHY, Martin Samuel today on 10:27 - Jan 8 by textbackup

I don’t believe I’ve mentioned him?
The OP is about Martin S is it not?

It says his name in capital letters in the title or maybe your hatred of Martin Samuel on this thread is purely coincidence

IPSWICH RUE LOSING 'DULL' McCARTHY, Martin Samuel today on 10:41 - Jan 8 with 3342 viewspointofblue

IPSWICH RUE LOSING 'DULL' McCARTHY, Martin Samuel today on 10:25 - Jan 8 by The_Romford_Blue

Surely him having us consistently mid table and steady (albeit somewhat boring) is not leaving us in chaos. He overachieved but because Hurst was sh*t and the owner is clueless, that doesn’t mean Mick leaving us with a team that Hurst dismantled was ‘chaotic’

I do think Mick creates a squad, wherever he goes, which is extremely loyal to him. This means when he leaves his replacement finds it very difficult to galvanise the squad to start with, hence every side he’s left has slipped down the table. Hurst had many issues, most self-inflicted, but I don’t think the senior players took to him straight away because he was different from Mick and it spiralled from there. Considering the lack of improvement at the back and increasing frustrations in press conferences I sense Lambert may be struggling with the same thing.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Login to get fewer ads

IPSWICH RUE LOSING 'DULL' McCARTHY, Martin Samuel today on 10:43 - Jan 8 with 3343 viewsGluedtoBlue

For any fans saying 'they get relegated because MM leaves them in a mess' that's a simplistic view to support an anti-Mick agenda.

If we're honest, they probably go down because he builds a squad greater than the sum of its part and team spirit drops slightly when they see a man they like leave.

All that said, it was time MM moved on for all parties. MM going and what's happened since don't necessarily go hand in hand.

Poll: Who do you hate the most?

IPSWICH RUE LOSING 'DULL' McCARTHY, Martin Samuel today on 11:04 - Jan 8 with 3308 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

IPSWICH RUE LOSING 'DULL' McCARTHY, Martin Samuel today on 10:41 - Jan 8 by pointofblue

I do think Mick creates a squad, wherever he goes, which is extremely loyal to him. This means when he leaves his replacement finds it very difficult to galvanise the squad to start with, hence every side he’s left has slipped down the table. Hurst had many issues, most self-inflicted, but I don’t think the senior players took to him straight away because he was different from Mick and it spiralled from there. Considering the lack of improvement at the back and increasing frustrations in press conferences I sense Lambert may be struggling with the same thing.

Bit simplistic to lump them all together - theres some differences across the clubs he’s managed, although a theme seems to be that there was a cr*p replacement each time other than Sunderland

Millwall - had them playing well above their station, replacement out of his depth
Sunderland - got promoted but was out of his depth in the PL
Wolves - got promoted and stabilised a bit, but still not good enough to push on in PL. Wolves decision to sack him without a replacement caused subsequent slide
Ipswich - left stable in mid table, replacement out of his depth

So 2 clubs taken up and left struggling in the PL, and 2 that were playing above their station and subsequently crumbled. Not sure how that reflects badly on Mick personally but if it helps people convince themselves that he’s cr*p that’s up to them I guess

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

The reasons for our almost certain impending relegation are threefold imo on 11:23 - Jan 8 with 3297 viewsDyland

IPSWICH RUE LOSING 'DULL' McCARTHY, Martin Samuel today on 10:43 - Jan 8 by GluedtoBlue

For any fans saying 'they get relegated because MM leaves them in a mess' that's a simplistic view to support an anti-Mick agenda.

If we're honest, they probably go down because he builds a squad greater than the sum of its part and team spirit drops slightly when they see a man they like leave.

All that said, it was time MM moved on for all parties. MM going and what's happened since don't necessarily go hand in hand.

In order of magnitude...

1) MEG let McCarthy pretty much run all aspects of football, and Evans has been unambitious since hiring him. The plan for when he eventually left was... er....

2) There wasn't a plan. So make it up. Roll the dice. Hurst and his staff were completely out of their depth and could never manage what the prosaic but experienced McCarthy had done.

3) As fans and supporters we quite predictably (and rightly) want better than what we have been getting. I couldn't stand the hounding of MM during games, but that doesn't mean I didn't want better football, more ambition etc. However fans have to shoulder some responsibility because if MM was still here we would most likely not be in the relegation zone.

I know number 3 is an inconvenient truth for some, but it's reality. Don't infer stuff that isn't there, I'm not blaming us lot in any shape or form for the general predicament and running of our club. That lies squarely at MEG's door.

P.S. Samuels is a tedious hack and has nothing insightful to say. Any old numpty could do his job.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

The reasons for our almost certain impending relegation are threefold imo on 11:29 - Jan 8 with 3269 viewsGluedtoBlue

The reasons for our almost certain impending relegation are threefold imo on 11:23 - Jan 8 by Dyland

In order of magnitude...

1) MEG let McCarthy pretty much run all aspects of football, and Evans has been unambitious since hiring him. The plan for when he eventually left was... er....

2) There wasn't a plan. So make it up. Roll the dice. Hurst and his staff were completely out of their depth and could never manage what the prosaic but experienced McCarthy had done.

3) As fans and supporters we quite predictably (and rightly) want better than what we have been getting. I couldn't stand the hounding of MM during games, but that doesn't mean I didn't want better football, more ambition etc. However fans have to shoulder some responsibility because if MM was still here we would most likely not be in the relegation zone.

I know number 3 is an inconvenient truth for some, but it's reality. Don't infer stuff that isn't there, I'm not blaming us lot in any shape or form for the general predicament and running of our club. That lies squarely at MEG's door.

P.S. Samuels is a tedious hack and has nothing insightful to say. Any old numpty could do his job.

I had no issue with PH being appointed, at the time it looked an appointment that most the fan base supported and, although a risk, his record was decent. What I couldn't understand is that ME stood back and let him rip apart so much in one summer, especially when so much of it went against the 'plan'.

You wonder what PL would have done in the summer but, at the time, the fans wouldn't have accepted him.

Poll: Who do you hate the most?

IPSWICH RUE LOSING 'DULL' McCARTHY, Martin Samuel today on 11:36 - Jan 8 with 3249 viewsPositivelyPortman

Oversized oaf that by the looks of him has never kicked a ball in his life, sticking up for a buddy.

Poll: Are we happy with the takeover?

IPSWICH RUE LOSING 'DULL' McCARTHY, Martin Samuel today on 11:40 - Jan 8 with 3238 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

IPSWICH RUE LOSING 'DULL' McCARTHY, Martin Samuel today on 11:36 - Jan 8 by PositivelyPortman

Oversized oaf that by the looks of him has never kicked a ball in his life, sticking up for a buddy.

More likely that he received plenty of grief from our fans last year when he suggested getting rid of him may not be a good idea, so is enjoying sticking the boot in at every opportunity now

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Same here on 11:42 - Jan 8 with 3235 viewsDyland

The reasons for our almost certain impending relegation are threefold imo on 11:29 - Jan 8 by GluedtoBlue

I had no issue with PH being appointed, at the time it looked an appointment that most the fan base supported and, although a risk, his record was decent. What I couldn't understand is that ME stood back and let him rip apart so much in one summer, especially when so much of it went against the 'plan'.

You wonder what PL would have done in the summer but, at the time, the fans wouldn't have accepted him.

I knew pretty much p1ss all about him.

It all goes back to point 1, and the lack of an actual solid "plan". Really quite shocking, and I don't have an anti MEG agenda particularly, so can empathise somewhat with the feelings of those vociferously against our owner.

Same here on 11:50 - Jan 8 with 3220 viewsartsbossbeard

Same here on 11:42 - Jan 8 by Dyland

I knew pretty much p1ss all about him.

It all goes back to point 1, and the lack of an actual solid "plan". Really quite shocking, and I don't have an anti MEG agenda particularly, so can empathise somewhat with the feelings of those vociferously against our owner.

I'm not sure if it's a plan or simply the structure.

The team manager is in charge of all things football, the club manager (Milne) is in charge of all things club related thus ME leaving the 2 to run things. This was brought to a head under PH & Deputy Doig as they decided to exclude Klug & Nash from team meeting leaving Klug & Nash with nobody to complain to bar ME himself.

ME was none too happy to have to travel up to Ipswich on a week day to slap PH & Deputy Doig on the wrist and get involved in matters which he'd delegated elsewhere. ME involves himself on player deals (it's his money) but is happy to leave all club matters to the people in charge.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

IPSWICH RUE LOSING 'DULL' McCARTHY, Martin Samuel today on 11:51 - Jan 8 with 3207 viewsBenters2

IPSWICH RUE LOSING 'DULL' McCARTHY, Martin Samuel today on 09:50 - Jan 8 by SitfcB

I saw an ITFC flag on Saturday that had ‘Numbskull Army’ on

Tis a thing of beauty.
Plan/Structure... same difference on 11:53 - Jan 8 with 3206 viewsDyland

Same here on 11:50 - Jan 8 by artsbossbeard

I'm not sure if it's a plan or simply the structure.

The team manager is in charge of all things football, the club manager (Milne) is in charge of all things club related thus ME leaving the 2 to run things. This was brought to a head under PH & Deputy Doig as they decided to exclude Klug & Nash from team meeting leaving Klug & Nash with nobody to complain to bar ME himself.

ME was none too happy to have to travel up to Ipswich on a week day to slap PH & Deputy Doig on the wrist and get involved in matters which he'd delegated elsewhere. ME involves himself on player deals (it's his money) but is happy to leave all club matters to the people in charge.

That's what I'm driving at Bossers.

Pretty peeving and I'm not even particularly anti Evans (whatever that means anyway).

IPSWICH RUE LOSING 'DULL' McCARTHY, Martin Samuel today on 11:53 - Jan 8 with 3211 viewsSuperfrans

I've sent this letter to Samuel today. will be interesting to see if he responds...

https://www.twtd.co.uk/blogs/21763/dear-martin-samuel.../#0

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Yes but Texters is clearly referring to Samuels in his response on 11:56 - Jan 8 with 3192 viewsDyland

IPSWICH RUE LOSING 'DULL' McCARTHY, Martin Samuel today on 10:30 - Jan 8 by Bluefish

It says his name in capital letters in the title or maybe your hatred of Martin Samuel on this thread is purely coincidence

nft

IPSWICH RUE LOSING 'DULL' McCARTHY, Martin Samuel today on 11:57 - Jan 8 with 3187 viewsBluebell

IPSWICH RUE LOSING 'DULL' McCARTHY, Martin Samuel today on 10:25 - Jan 8 by The_Romford_Blue

I agree with this.

Mick certainly didn't leave us in chaos. He had got together a very good team but he was struggling with a lot of injuries. We finished 12th in the table above Norwich. If ME had backed him more who knows what we could have achieved?

If Paul Hurst had stuck with most of Mick's team, hadn't got rid of Waghorn, Garner and Webster I doubt we would be where we are today.

Paul Hurst trying to use all his 12 players brought our downfall. In the time he was here he never had a settled team.

MM can't be blamed for that chaos.
IPSWICH RUE LOSING 'DULL' McCARTHY, Martin Samuel today on 11:59 - Jan 8 with 3180 viewsfooters

IPSWICH RUE LOSING 'DULL' McCARTHY, Martin Samuel today on 11:53 - Jan 8 by Superfrans

I've sent this letter to Samuel today. will be interesting to see if he responds...

https://www.twtd.co.uk/blogs/21763/dear-martin-samuel.../#0

Great blog, Frans. Doubt you'll get a response but you never know!

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

IPSWICH RUE LOSING 'DULL' McCARTHY, Martin Samuel today on 12:01 - Jan 8 with 3174 viewsDeano69

Lets not forget how well MM did in the FA Cup too

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Yes but Texters is clearly referring to Samuels in his response on 12:01 - Jan 8 with 3168 viewsBluefish

Yes but Texters is clearly referring to Samuels in his response on 11:56 - Jan 8 by Dyland

nft

But he is rattled because mick lives in his head. I was not saying that the blowing up the house comment was about Mick but it is definitely because of Mick.

To be fair to texters I was the same about keane he lived in my head and I detested him and still do. The only difference is that I was right In all the things I said about him

naughty (n/t) on 12:02 - Jan 8 with 3167 viewsDyland

Yes but Texters is clearly referring to Samuels in his response on 12:01 - Jan 8 by Bluefish

But he is rattled because mick lives in his head. I was not saying that the blowing up the house comment was about Mick but it is definitely because of Mick.

To be fair to texters I was the same about keane he lived in my head and I detested him and still do. The only difference is that I was right In all the things I said about him

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024