Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
09:49 - Feb 8 with 12761 views_

The Greatest Suffolk based band that you've never heard of... on 14:18 - Feb 8 with 3490 viewsSpruceMoose

The Greatest Suffolk based band that you've never heard of... on 14:09 - Feb 8 by blueislander

Throughout the 60s we were fortunate to have Bluesville at The Manor Ballroom , and were able to see bands such as Spencer Davis Group, Georgie Fame and The Blueflames, Downliner Sect, The Art Woods, Graham Bond Organisation, Zoot Money and the Big Roll Band , and Long John Baldry and Steampacket (featuring Rod Stewart) , on a regular basis. The biggest and best local band were Nick and The Nomads who played Chiuck Berry and Bo Diddlely numbers along with other R&B classics.

For posters older than me, why and when did Ipswich stop attracting decent acts to the town? For lack of a decent venue?

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

The Greatest Suffolk based band that you've never heard of... on 14:19 - Feb 8 with 3499 viewsjontysnut

The Greatest Suffolk based band that you've never heard of... on 12:08 - Feb 8 by stringy

Ipswich was phenomenal in those days (early 80's), you had all the major bands playing Gaumont (Clash, Banshees, Undertones, Stranglers inter alia), the UEA was active up the road (Dead Kennedys), and then the local scene was *incredibly* active - everyone was either in a band (Adicts were already established but you had PIB, Threat, Still Life in Action, Anihilated, Victims of War, Frestate, Raw Noise [then ENT], Sustained amongst many others. Those who weren't in a band tended to put on gigs or run faznines.

It was very close-knit and friendly, and we had links all over the country.

*many* of us are still connected and doing stuff - check out the Punk History - Ipswich and East Anglia Facebook page where there are a bunch of local zines archived as PDFs and tons of images

enjoy!

back in the 7Os some mates in a punkish but awful school band hired Rushmere Village Hall for a 'gig'. The Adicts turned up, commandeered their gear and started playing their own stuff. Possibly the most punk thing I'd ever seen.

For those of a wider trouser leg at the time there was the Buster James Band and Trespass ( Hadleigh/Sudbury?)

I used to watch Nik Kershaw when he played with 'Fusion'. Also Reg Webb in the Mulberry Tree ( there's one for the jazz heads)
The Greatest Suffolk based band that you've never heard of... on 14:23 - Feb 8 with 3473 viewsfooters

The Greatest Suffolk based band that you've never heard of... on 14:18 - Feb 8 by SpruceMoose

For posters older than me, why and when did Ipswich stop attracting decent acts to the town? For lack of a decent venue?

Can't be to do with geography really. Norwich still gets a lot really good acts at the UEA and Waterfront.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

The Greatest Suffolk based band that you've never heard of... on 14:25 - Feb 8 with 3476 viewsitfcjoe

The Greatest Suffolk based band that you've never heard of... on 14:23 - Feb 8 by footers

Can't be to do with geography really. Norwich still gets a lot really good acts at the UEA and Waterfront.

Not being a University town?

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

The Greatest Suffolk based band that you've never heard of... on 14:26 - Feb 8 with 3476 viewsblueislander

The Greatest Suffolk based band that you've never heard of... on 14:18 - Feb 8 by SpruceMoose

Probably. Bluesville was each Monday at The Manor Ballroom , and occasionally at St.Matthews Baths Hall if it was a "big" name. I left Ipswich to go to University in 1967, and never really lived there after that. The Gaumont hosted actual concerts. I saw Buddy Holly and The Crickets there, also Everly Brothers , Little Richard, Bo Diddley et all in the late 50s early 60s.
The Greatest Suffolk based band that you've never heard of... on 14:27 - Feb 8 with 3463 viewsfooters

The Greatest Suffolk based band that you've never heard of... on 14:25 - Feb 8 by itfcjoe

Not having an airport or two cathedrals!

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

The Greatest Suffolk based band that you've never heard of... on 14:28 - Feb 8 with 3445 viewsSpruceMoose

The Greatest Suffolk based band that you've never heard of... on 14:25 - Feb 8 by itfcjoe

I guess artists also had to work harder to promote their material back then. No streaming and such like. You saw them live, or you potentially didn't hear them at all.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

The Greatest Suffolk based band that you've never heard of... on 14:48 - Feb 8 with 3425 viewsstringy

The Greatest Suffolk based band that you've never heard of... on 14:19 - Feb 8 by jontysnut

back in the 7Os some mates in a punkish but awful school band hired Rushmere Village Hall for a 'gig'. The Adicts turned up, commandeered their gear and started playing their own stuff. Possibly the most punk thing I'd ever seen.

For those of a wider trouser leg at the time there was the Buster James Band and Trespass ( Hadleigh/Sudbury?)

I used to watch Nik Kershaw when he played with 'Fusion'. Also Reg Webb in the Mulberry Tree ( there's one for the jazz heads)

nice - I'll send this to Monkey and see if he recalls!
Login to get fewer ads

The Greatest Suffolk based band that you've never heard of... on 14:57 - Feb 8 with 3410 viewsBluespeed225

The Greatest Suffolk based band that you've never heard of... on 14:09 - Feb 8 by blueislander

Throughout the 60s we were fortunate to have Bluesville at The Manor Ballroom , and were able to see bands such as Spencer Davis Group, Georgie Fame and The Blueflames, Downliner Sect, The Art Woods, Graham Bond Organisation, Zoot Money and the Big Roll Band , and Long John Baldry and Steampacket (featuring Rod Stewart) , on a regular basis. The biggest and best local band were Nick and The Nomads who played Chiuck Berry and Bo Diddlely numbers along with other R&B classics.

Did you ever see The Action? A bloke I used to play cricket with has the original Bluesville gig poster which he lent to the writer of a book about the band.
The Greatest Suffolk based band that you've never heard of... on 14:58 - Feb 8 with 3404 viewsjaykay

The Greatest Suffolk based band that you've never heard of... on 11:35 - Feb 8 by No9

Leiston Wild Oats?

after they morphed from the rebels

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

The Greatest Suffolk based band that you've never heard of... on 16:37 - Feb 8 with 3372 viewsblueislander

The Greatest Suffolk based band that you've never heard of... on 14:57 - Feb 8 by Bluespeed225

Did you ever see The Action? A bloke I used to play cricket with has the original Bluesville gig poster which he lent to the writer of a book about the band.

No. Doesn’t ring any bells. If they were after 1967 I wouldn’t have seen them.
The Greatest Suffolk based band that you've never heard of... on 17:51 - Feb 8 with 3350 viewspositivity

anyone remember bleach?

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

The Greatest Suffolk based band that you've never heard of... on 18:06 - Feb 8 with 3342 viewsblueislander

The Greatest Suffolk based band that you've never heard of... on 17:51 - Feb 8 by positivity

anyone remember bleach?

I knew the brothers very well. Their father was my brother’s best friend.
The Greatest Suffolk based band that you've never heard of... on 18:33 - Feb 8 with 3323 viewsBluespeed225

The Greatest Suffolk based band that you've never heard of... on 17:51 - Feb 8 by positivity

anyone remember bleach?

Brothers were big Town fans, used to go away with Nick on the coach 80-81, Neil was mascot when we at Primary, mid 70’s!
The Greatest Suffolk based band that you've never heard of... on 18:35 - Feb 8 with 3322 viewsBluespeed225

The Greatest Suffolk based band that you've never heard of... on 16:37 - Feb 8 by blueislander

No. Doesn’t ring any bells. If they were after 1967 I wouldn’t have seen them.

66’. George Martin produced, how they never made it big is a mystery, but it’s kept them a cult following. Reg King had a voice smoother than Marriott.
The Greatest Suffolk based band that you've never heard of... on 18:35 - Feb 8 with 3322 viewsEwan_Oozami

The Greatest Suffolk based band that you've never heard of... on 11:49 - Feb 8 by footers

Er, excuse me, Extreme Noise Terror are from Ipswich.

Top band - great for scaring away unwanted visitors!

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

The Greatest Suffolk based band that you've never heard of... on 18:51 - Feb 8 with 3305 viewsEwan_Oozami

on 11:45 - Feb 8 by _

Lead singer in the band that I'm in drinks with Jesse Quin of Keane in Woodbridge - we're also currently trying to blag some studio time at Cenzo Townshend's Decoy Farm Studios in Ufford to record some songs but some other more talented and famous bands who can afford to pay are keeping us out!

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

The Greatest Suffolk based band that you've never heard of... on 20:05 - Feb 8 with 3278 viewsbournemouthblue

The Greatest Suffolk based band that you've never heard of... on 09:50 - Feb 8 by wkj

Ipswich has never been able to musically hit it big since Nick Kershaw- and for those thinking Ed Sheeran, he doesn't count, he is Mid Suffolk District Council

Cradle of Filth are reasonably well known even if they aren't that mainstream

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

The Greatest Suffolk based band that you've never heard of... on 20:29 - Feb 8 with 3266 viewsbadadski

Not really a band but band member Kelly Overett from Capella from the 90's Italian dance group. She was always walking round Ipswich as from here. "You got to let the music, you go to let the music, you got to let the music move your feet."....... dun dun dun, dun dun dun
The Greatest Suffolk based band that you've never heard of... on 20:48 - Feb 8 with 3246 viewsblueislander

The Greatest Suffolk based band that you've never heard of... on 20:29 - Feb 8 by badadski

Not really a band but band member Kelly Overett from Capella from the 90's Italian dance group. She was always walking round Ipswich as from here. "You got to let the music, you go to let the music, you got to let the music move your feet."....... dun dun dun, dun dun dun

The great Geno Washington started his UK career in Suffolk as he was stationed at Bentwaters. He formed The RamJam band around the end of the 60s.
The Greatest Suffolk based band that you've never heard of... on 21:10 - Feb 8 with 3239 viewsPhilTWTD

The Greatest Suffolk based band that you've never heard of... on 11:59 - Feb 8 by stringy

well Rikki of ETP / Red Flag 77 and co-editor of our old 'zine Terminal Boredom was til recently a season ticket holder

Jim M of the Threat used to work in catering at Portman Road

me and Monkey (Adicts) went to all home games with a bunch of others back in the late 80's (til he moved stateside)

and I bumped into Jim P (Retarded / Panorama in Black / As Is) in the stadium in Moscow in our UEFA cup run

so a hearty amount of footy links

I went to a few games with Wolfie from The Stupids, Perfect Daze and the Smashed Hits fanzine back in the day, definitely a Town fan. Clive from Elmerhassel, They Fight Crime and The Space Maggots had a season ticket at the back of the North for many years.

This post has been edited by an administrator
The Greatest Suffolk based band that you've never heard of... on 21:13 - Feb 8 with 3232 viewsNorthstaNder

The Greatest Suffolk based band that you've never heard of... on 09:50 - Feb 8 by wkj

Ipswich has never been able to musically hit it big since Nick Kershaw- and for those thinking Ed Sheeran, he doesn't count, he is Mid Suffolk District Council

Ed was actually born in Hebdon Bridge which is a few miles west of Halifax.

So he DEFNITLEY doesn't count!
The Greatest Suffolk based band that you've never heard of... on 21:33 - Feb 8 with 3214 viewsLord_Lucan

The Greatest Suffolk based band that you've never heard of... on 21:13 - Feb 8 by NorthstaNder

Ed was actually born in Hebdon Bridge which is a few miles west of Halifax.

So he DEFNITLEY doesn't count!

Nik Kershaw was born in Bristol....................

................and anyway, the answer is Jah Warriors.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

The Greatest Suffolk based band that you've never heard of... on 21:47 - Feb 8 with 3204 viewsjaykay

not my cup of tea but blue mercedes lead singer came from leiston

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

The Greatest Suffolk based band that you've never heard of... on 22:48 - Feb 8 with 3181 viewsJonnosdreadlocks

Trespass from Sudbury. New Wave of Heavy Metal band in the 1980's should have been huge.

Poll: An English Anthem. Wales and Scotland use their own what should England use?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024