Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Any Berlin advice 11:32 - Mar 3 with 4056 viewsskyblue23

In April me and 6 mates are off to Berlin for a lads weekend and have only arranged a couple of bits to do as most of it will be drinking.

So far we’ve got tickets to the Hertha Berlin vs Fortuna game and also booked to go to Hofbrau for some Oktoberfest style food and drink.

Any Berlin based or people previously been Berlin able to recommend any activities or places to go/drink?

We’re staying in Hackesher Markt and aren’t into museums/site seeing etc.

Cheers in advance

Poll: Paul Lambert moves on, would you be happy if Jim Magilton was given another go?

Any Berlin advice on 11:48 - Mar 3 with 3083 viewsSwailsey

We went there for a stag last year and it’s was great.

Ruin bars
5 a side arenas
Lots of great bars (and this is coming from a non drinker)

There’s a cracking man made beach as well - I can’t remember where exactly.

Really loved it - great music scene too.

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

Any Berlin advice on 12:00 - Mar 3 with 3067 viewsfooters

Eat lots of kebabs and don't try getting in to Berghain.

Oh, and a learn a bit of German just to be polite.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Any Berlin advice on 12:09 - Mar 3 with 3053 viewsBerlinBlue

Try the Prenzlauer Berg, Friedrichshain and Kreuzberg districts for great bars and restaurants.
If you're not aware, your matchday tickets double as public transport tickets on the day of the game up to 3am the next day.
Any Berlin advice on 12:11 - Mar 3 with 3049 viewsGiant_Midget

The Jewish memorial isn't a Facebook profile photo opportunity, but many tourists seem to think it is.

You may find entry to nightclubs difficult as a group of 6 lads. So be on your best behaviour in the queue.

And don't bother with Berghain, you won't get in there as a group of 6.
Any Berlin advice on 12:17 - Mar 3 with 3033 viewsPendejo

Johnny Boy is Berlin based, hopefully he'll be able to see & reply.

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Any Berlin advice on 12:42 - Mar 3 with 2995 viewsclive_baker

Check out BRLO if you want a good, modern beer house. It’s bordering on slightly too try hard cliche hipster / Shoreditch vibe, but I went with a few mates and it was a good spot for some evening drinking. Some strong beers in there, be warned!

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Any Berlin advice on 12:45 - Mar 3 with 2988 viewsAce_High1

Any Berlin advice on 11:48 - Mar 3 by Swailsey

We went there for a stag last year and it’s was great.

Ruin bars
5 a side arenas
Lots of great bars (and this is coming from a non drinker)

There’s a cracking man made beach as well - I can’t remember where exactly.

Really loved it - great music scene too.

I had not considered Berlin before but that does sounds good.
Any Berlin advice on 12:58 - Mar 3 with 2974 viewsfooters

Any Berlin advice on 12:45 - Mar 3 by Ace_High1

I had not considered Berlin before but that does sounds good.

One of the best cities in Europe, if not the world. Go, see, enjoy- I don't know you from Adam but can guarantee you'll love it nevertheless. And flights are about £30 each way in advance- can't go wrong! :)

Login to get fewer ads

Any Berlin advice on 13:06 - Mar 3 with 2947 viewsclive_baker

Any Berlin advice on 12:58 - Mar 3 by footers

One of the best cities in Europe, if not the world. Go, see, enjoy- I don't know you from Adam but can guarantee you'll love it nevertheless. And flights are about £30 each way in advance- can't go wrong! :)

Quality city.

Not what the OP is after but historically there’s so much to see there too. I would recommend a walking tour, blow away the cobwebs from the night before and a great way to see the city and learn about its history for a couple of hours. Each to their own of course but it’s onviously got a fascinating past which I loved finding out more about. Aside from that has some really cool areas to eat and drink.

First time I visited back in my single days I ended up copping off with a lovely young local girl in a club, she took me back to hers and when I woke up in the morning with a stonking hangover she asked me to join her for breakfast. Little did I know her mum, dad and brother would be sitting at the table. Boy that was awkward and so bizarre.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Any Berlin advice on 13:07 - Mar 3 with 2943 viewsurbanblue

I love Berlin. Has everything. Great history and things to see and do during the day and a cracking nightlife. Memories of strolling down a deserted street to find an underground bar. Ending up down a laneway ... pulling aside a carpet covering a doorway to find a great club playing the most out there superb music. DJ looked like Austin Powers and he was being serious!!

Another night ended up in 'pop up' polish bar (They had taken over an empty shop!) with a mad band and all these nutters laughing and pouring booze down my neck ... Wonderful, wonderful city!
Any Berlin advice on 13:07 - Mar 3 with 2941 viewsfactual_blue

Any Berlin advice on 12:00 - Mar 3 by footers

Hau Ab?

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Any Berlin advice on 13:10 - Mar 3 with 2938 viewsfooters

Any Berlin advice on 13:07 - Mar 3 by factual_blue

Hau Ab?

Psychogeographic studies have always been a hobby of mine, so thanks, I'll take your advice. Weird what you find when you are lost :)

Any Berlin advice on 13:17 - Mar 3 with 2926 viewsfactual_blue

But a polite enquiry about compensation for the bombing of A Certain Chip Shop is permitted.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Any Berlin advice on 10:05 - Mar 4 with 2724 viewsbariotneblue

Spent many a happy week in Berlin. A few ideas.

Hofbrau is a bit rubbish but if you want that type of Bavarian style drinking it's fine. If the weather is nice I'd recommend going to Tiergartenquelle. Never that busy and is a pretty good beer garden. In general, I'd avoid the Alexanderplatz area unless transferring on public transport

On Sunday, I'd highly recommend going to Mauerpark and the incredible sight that is the Karaoke in front of a few hundred people run by a lovely Irish fella in a greek style outdoor theatre. Well worth a challenge to test out your pipes in public. Also, there's a nice flea market there, again with plenty of drinking opportunities.
Nearby, there are a number of drinking holes but I'd recommend the Stone Brewing Taproom. They also have a brewery in south Berlin which is a bit out of the way so this may be preferable.

As mentioned in a previous post, don't bother with Berghain. I went once and managed to get in (god knows how!) but wasn't worth it really. Plenty of other clubs and bars worth going to. Cocktails in the Kreuzberg area are great. And gemüse kebabs still make me drool at the thought tucking onto one. Also, don't be afraid to have a beer outside an off licence. Some of my favourite drinks in Berlin have been with friends outside a 'späti'!

One final note, always buy a travel ticket. Despite not having barriers, the ticket inspectors have been on it recently and I got stung last summer for the first time. What should've been a 1.80Euro ticket turned into a 60Euro fine and the inspectors were quite aggressive. Well worth knowing!

Football-wise, bare in mind that Olympia Stadion is quite a way from the centre of town and there are very few bars around the area. I went to the German cup final last year and sat in the Frankfurt end and found that the fans outside were extremely friendly and gave me a few Pilsner's but I'm not sure what it would be like for a Hertha home game. I'm sure someone has details for the Fortuna fans and I'm sure they'd look after you. It's a pretty spectacular place to watch football nonetheless!

You'll have a fantastic time no doubt. I'll have a think of any more things to do but the beauty of Berlin is that there is so much!
Any Berlin advice on 10:25 - Mar 4 with 2696 viewsLord_Lucan

That's not a bad area to stay. I know you said you aren't into sightseeing but Checkpoint Charlie is a must and you need to have a stroll down Unter Den Linden where you can then take in Brandenburg Gate and The Reichstag.

Nearby Unter Den Linden, just off Freidrichstrasse is a pub called Treffpunkt wich is a great little pub and ideal to use as a base. If you walk from your place to Checkpoint Charlie you will go past it.

Oranienburgerstrasse is a good road for some bars but unfortunately I believe the excellent Tachelles is long gone - I haven't been there for quite some time.

All in all a magnificent city.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Any Berlin advice on 10:34 - Mar 4 with 2683 viewsfooters

Any Berlin advice on 10:05 - Mar 4 by bariotneblue

Spent many a happy week in Berlin. A few ideas.

Hofbrau is a bit rubbish but if you want that type of Bavarian style drinking it's fine. If the weather is nice I'd recommend going to Tiergartenquelle. Never that busy and is a pretty good beer garden. In general, I'd avoid the Alexanderplatz area unless transferring on public transport

On Sunday, I'd highly recommend going to Mauerpark and the incredible sight that is the Karaoke in front of a few hundred people run by a lovely Irish fella in a greek style outdoor theatre. Well worth a challenge to test out your pipes in public. Also, there's a nice flea market there, again with plenty of drinking opportunities.
Nearby, there are a number of drinking holes but I'd recommend the Stone Brewing Taproom. They also have a brewery in south Berlin which is a bit out of the way so this may be preferable.

As mentioned in a previous post, don't bother with Berghain. I went once and managed to get in (god knows how!) but wasn't worth it really. Plenty of other clubs and bars worth going to. Cocktails in the Kreuzberg area are great. And gemüse kebabs still make me drool at the thought tucking onto one. Also, don't be afraid to have a beer outside an off licence. Some of my favourite drinks in Berlin have been with friends outside a 'späti'!

One final note, always buy a travel ticket. Despite not having barriers, the ticket inspectors have been on it recently and I got stung last summer for the first time. What should've been a 1.80Euro ticket turned into a 60Euro fine and the inspectors were quite aggressive. Well worth knowing!

Football-wise, bare in mind that Olympia Stadion is quite a way from the centre of town and there are very few bars around the area. I went to the German cup final last year and sat in the Frankfurt end and found that the fans outside were extremely friendly and gave me a few Pilsner's but I'm not sure what it would be like for a Hertha home game. I'm sure someone has details for the Fortuna fans and I'm sure they'd look after you. It's a pretty spectacular place to watch football nonetheless!

You'll have a fantastic time no doubt. I'll have a think of any more things to do but the beauty of Berlin is that there is so much!

Imagine having spätis over here! But this is why we can't have nice things... Agree 100% with this though. Go drink in the back room of an offy- it's great! (Just don't change the radio station in there as some locals may get quite upset...) Oh, and save your beer bottles and go recycle them for money- you can usually get quite a few beers if you're a thirsty individual :) Or leave them in a bin for other people to earn some dough- whatever works for you.

I'll also add in a shout for Neukolln as a good area to hang out. Head for Karl-Marx strasse and pop your head in a few bars or cafes. Really good rock pub not far from there but can't remember the name at the mo.

Also try a Bismarck fish sandwich - not to everyone's taste but a must if you're in Berlin. Actually the thought of trying to finish one whilst feeling very delicate on my last trip has now made me feel quite ill!

Any Berlin advice on 10:41 - Mar 4 with 2671 viewsDarth_Koont

Looks like you're staying in a good area and already have decent plans.

Agree with the other tips here. You can't really go wrong but will definitely need to come back at some stage.

We went to a lively and chaotic Italian restaurant with fantastic food when we were there called Tabacchi e Sale that would still suit a lad's weekend. One of the most enjoyable meals and atmospheres I've ever experienced.

Pronouns: He/Him

Any Berlin advice on 10:42 - Mar 4 with 2666 viewscaught-in-limbo

I'll be planning a trip to Berlin too in the not too distant future.

I realise we're probably into very different stuff, but I strongly recommend watching any/all of these documentaries/films before you go. I've put up an eclectic mix here. You'll enjoy the city even more if you do:

Trailer (contains nudity):

Trailer

Trailer

Trailer

Full documentary with English subtitles

Documentary in English

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

Any Berlin advice on 10:44 - Mar 4 with 2662 viewsglasso

I loved Berlin and the football at Hertha was awesome. Word of warning, though: We went as a group of blokes (4 of us) and we struggled to get into clubs all weekend. Some locals said it was because we were all blokes, some said it was because we didn't speak German (bouncers loved telling us it was 'locals only tonight' before letting in a group of Swedish/Australian/American girls as we walked away...)

The bars were great, Burgermeister is worth a visit even with the queue always being huge, YAAM was cool (has a 7-a-side pitch as well, which is good fun after a few daytime beers)
Any Berlin advice on 10:52 - Mar 4 with 2642 viewsTIB

Any Berlin advice on 12:00 - Mar 3 by footers

I'm off for a stag do there at start of May and have been reading about Berghain...I'm planning on ditching the group and me and an ex-squaddie mate who was based in Paderborn heading to try and get in? Hoping his ounce of German lingo might help us get in!?!

Poll: How much did you actually think Mick would spend in January?

Any Berlin advice on 10:59 - Mar 4 with 2626 viewsfooters

Any Berlin advice on 10:52 - Mar 4 by TIB

I'm off for a stag do there at start of May and have been reading about Berghain...I'm planning on ditching the group and me and an ex-squaddie mate who was based in Paderborn heading to try and get in? Hoping his ounce of German lingo might help us get in!?!

Honestly, really, it ain't all that. I hate their sh1tty attitude, you can queue for hours and be rejected for no reason, and I found the prices very steep. It's just a club, a good one but not worth the hassle imo.

However, if you are there on the first of May you will find that the May Day celebrations are fcking awesome! So many proper free parties all over the city! Could put you in contact with some party people if that's the case ;)

P.S. If you really, really, really want to get in, try rocking up in fetish gear. It will guarantee you entry 100% of the time. How I know this I cannot say, but it is definitely true.
[Post edited 4 Mar 2019 11:01]

Any Berlin advice on 11:09 - Mar 4 with 2603 viewsHorst3000

I‘ve been living in Berlin for 21 years so if you need any extra tips let me know
Any Berlin advice on 11:14 - Mar 4 with 2592 viewsLord_Lucan

Any Berlin advice on 11:09 - Mar 4 by Horst3000

I‘ve been living in Berlin for 21 years so if you need any extra tips let me know

This seems to be your answer Skyblue......

...........I'd still recommend Treffpunkt

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Any Berlin advice on 11:37 - Mar 4 with 2555 viewsHorst3000

Any Berlin advice on 11:14 - Mar 4 by Lord_Lucan

This seems to be your answer Skyblue......

...........I'd still recommend Treffpunkt

I know Treffpunkt. Haven’t been in there for years though...
Any Berlin advice on 11:49 - Mar 4 with 2538 viewsLord_Lucan

Any Berlin advice on 11:37 - Mar 4 by Horst3000

I know Treffpunkt. Haven’t been in there for years though...

I've only been in there twice..........as I've only been in Berlin twice and the last time must have been 7 or 8 years ago.

I liked it as you could sort of use it as a base and it was family run and very welcoming. The kitchen was the size of a box bedroom but on my last visit they managed to feed an organised coach trip.

Great home cooked German fayre.

I love The Gerries.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024