Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
‘Coloured’ 15:26 - Mar 7 with 16988 viewsSitfcB

When did this become an unacceptable term?

As a lot of, if not all, the older generation still use the term as it’s what they’ve used forever.
[Post edited 7 Mar 2019 15:42]

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

‘Coloured’ on 15:29 - Mar 7 with 5107 viewsHerbivore

It's been unacceptable for years and years, probably getting on for decades now.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

‘Coloured’ on 15:29 - Mar 7 with 5113 viewsSouperJim

Around 1980?

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

‘Coloured’ on 15:30 - Mar 7 with 5124 viewsitfcjoe

Once again the message gets lost because everyone willing to jump up and down about the word used, when everyone is clear what it means.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

‘Coloured’ on 15:32 - Mar 7 with 5089 viewsSouperJim

‘Coloured’ on 15:30 - Mar 7 by itfcjoe

Once again the message gets lost because everyone willing to jump up and down about the word used, when everyone is clear what it means.

I'm sorry, what now? It's ok to use a racial slur if you don't mean it?

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

‘Coloured’ on 15:32 - Mar 7 with 5085 viewsSpruceMoose

A few years before you were born, Son.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

‘Coloured’ on 15:33 - Mar 7 with 5081 viewsLankHenners

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

‘Coloured’ on 15:33 - Mar 7 with 5084 viewsBlueBadger

As a general rule, if you're trying to make a point about prejudice it's not a good idea to refer to those on the receiving end of it by using offensive terms. Tends to undermine your message, somewhat.
[Post edited 7 Mar 2019 15:34]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

‘Coloured’ on 15:34 - Mar 7 with 5045 viewsHerbivore

‘Coloured’ on 15:33 - Mar 7 by BlueBadger

As a general rule, if you're trying to make a point about prejudice it's not a good idea to refer to those on the receiving end of it by using offensive terms. Tends to undermine your message, somewhat.

This.

Login to get fewer ads

‘Coloured’ on 15:36 - Mar 7 with 5022 viewsnoggin

Can someone explain why racism within the Labour Party is headline news on a daily basis?

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

‘Coloured’ on 15:36 - Mar 7 with 5019 viewsSomethingBlue

Certainly for all of my 36 years on earth.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

‘Coloured’ on 15:37 - Mar 7 with 5001 viewsBlueBadger

‘Coloured’ on 15:29 - Mar 7 by SouperJim

Around 1980?

At least.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

‘Coloured’ on 15:38 - Mar 7 with 4992 viewsHerbivore

‘Coloured’ on 15:36 - Mar 7 by noggin

Can someone explain why racism within the Labour Party is headline news on a daily basis?

Amber Rudd is a Tory? Am I being whooshed here?
[Post edited 7 Mar 2019 15:38]

‘Coloured’ on 15:38 - Mar 7 with 4987 viewsSitfcB

‘Coloured’ on 15:36 - Mar 7 by noggin

Rudd is a Tory.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

‘Coloured’ on 15:40 - Mar 7 with 4966 viewsitfcjoe

‘Coloured’ on 15:33 - Mar 7 by BlueBadger

When I was growing up 'coloured' was seen the 'right' term and this was only 20 years ago - hardly a life time.

Benedict Cumberbatch recently said it in the States and got in a bit of trouble.

Someone like my Mum would think saying someone is 'coloured' is much more polite than calling them 'black'.

Main point is that not everyone can keep up with what the current 'right' word is and some of the outrage from this you'd think she'd called her the N word - when she was actually trying to help.

It doesn't need the outrage and public shaming, it needed someone to have a word with Rudd and educate/inform her.

‘Coloured’ on 15:41 - Mar 7 with 4941 viewsBlueBadger

‘Coloured’ on 15:40 - Mar 7 by itfcjoe

When I was growing up 'coloured' was seen the 'right' term and this was only 20 years ago - hardly a life time.

Benedict Cumberbatch recently said it in the States and got in a bit of trouble.

Someone like my Mum would think saying someone is 'coloured' is much more polite than calling them 'black'.

Main point is that not everyone can keep up with what the current 'right' word is and some of the outrage from this you'd think she'd called her the N word - when she was actually trying to help.

It doesn't need the outrage and public shaming, it needed someone to have a word with Rudd and educate/inform her.

It was seen as wrong when I was growing up and that was longer than 20 years ago. I can certainly recall at least one primary school teacher telling us that. Mind you, I grew up in cosmopolitan Glemsford, so we may have been ahead of our time.

‘Coloured’ on 15:41 - Mar 7 with 4944 viewsSpruceMoose

She's a God damn cabinet minister. It isn't up to other people to educate her about race issues.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

‘Coloured’ on 15:41 - Mar 7 with 4930 viewsgiant_stow

a woman of her age has no excuse to use that word.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

‘Coloured’ on 15:42 - Mar 7 with 4914 viewsnoggin

‘Coloured’ on 15:38 - Mar 7 by SitfcB

Rudd is a Tory.

Exactly. Why is racism in the Labour Party bigger news than racism in the Tory Party?

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

‘Coloured’ on 15:44 - Mar 7 with 4887 viewsHerbivore

Coloured has been an offensive term for as long as I can remember, although I didn't grow up in Suffolk.

A cabinet minister shouldn't need telling that coloured is an offensive term. Given how she handled Windrush when she was Home Secretary and how the government handled Grenfell, which Rudd would have been a part of, the use of language like this is significant.

‘Coloured’ on 15:44 - Mar 7 with 4889 viewsconnorscontract

It is hard to keep up, but the last I heard it has now been replaced by the term "funny tinge" in Parliament*.

* The word coloured (or "colored" in American English) is particularly offensive as it was the word used in States in the USA where racial prejudice was actively supported in State Law, eg Black people not being allowed to sit on certain benches or seats on the bus, or attend certain schools or universities. As such it was a label applied to people, rather than one they took on for themselves. Some Black people use the term "Person of Colour" (abbreviated as POC). This is a self-applied label, and although it sounds similar, it is respectful for a white person to use it if the person who they refer to uses it of themselves.
‘Coloured’ on 15:44 - Mar 7 with 4877 viewsitfcjoe

‘Coloured’ on 15:41 - Mar 7 by BlueBadger

It was seen as wrong when I was growing up and that was longer than 20 years ago. I can certainly recall at least one primary school teacher telling us that. Mind you, I grew up in cosmopolitan Glemsford, so we may have been ahead of our time.

Certainly wasn't in Chantry in the early 90s, it wasn't until very recently that I found out that half cast was a racist term - and one of my best friends for the last 20 years is as mixed race as you can get with a Scandinavian Mum and a Ugandan Dad.

I do think too much is made of the words said rather than the message - I just can't see anyone in todays age using 'coloured' as a term to offend.

‘Coloured’ on 15:44 - Mar 7 with 4872 viewsgiant_stow

‘Coloured’ on 15:41 - Mar 7 by BlueBadger

Its been a long time since it was acceptable. - I'm 44 and have never known it to be acceptable.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

‘Coloured’ on 15:45 - Mar 7 with 4847 viewsgiant_stow

‘Coloured’ on 15:42 - Mar 7 by noggin

Exactly. Why is racism in the Labour Party bigger news than racism in the Tory Party?

because more is expected of labour. much more.

‘Coloured’ on 15:45 - Mar 7 with 4846 viewsSpruceMoose

‘Coloured’ on 15:44 - Mar 7 by itfcjoe

Certainly wasn't in Chantry in the early 90s, it wasn't until very recently that I found out that half cast was a racist term - and one of my best friends for the last 20 years is as mixed race as you can get with a Scandinavian Mum and a Ugandan Dad.

I do think too much is made of the words said rather than the message - I just can't see anyone in todays age using 'coloured' as a term to offend.

Grew up in Chantry. Went to Chantry High. I respectfully disagree.

‘Coloured’ on 15:45 - Mar 7 with 4843 viewsZedRodgers

The message being that people shouldn't suffer abuse because of things they can't control?

Better chance of that message sticking if it wasn't being said by somebody who still refers to black people as 'coloured'.

It's not quite "n-word in the woodpile" level, but still remarkable that such somebody in such a senior position doesn't know better than referring to black people as coloured in a live media interview.

No, not at the moment

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024