Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Lewis Hamilton 20:24 - Jun 23 with 9861 viewsWe_Love_Bluey

Why hasn’t he had a knighthood? 5 times world champion. Andy Murray got one after winning one Wimbledon. 🤔
Lewis Hamilton on 13:48 - Jun 24 with 2383 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Lewis Hamilton on 13:40 - Jun 24 by Ryorry

That wasn't the case. We were out walking & chatting at the time of another Grand Prix, and I simply said that I'd never understood why LH was so unpopular, as I'd seen many people on here say they couldn't stand him. So he explained, saying his feeling was widely shared amongst the other competitors.

And (according to him) LH, far from having to fight to get the funding, was fast-tracked for it because the funders were keen to support someone from a minority group background as a way of virtue signalling.

I simply posted in the first place for balance re JimmyJazz 's post. Tho yes, I agree, the karting was a long time ago & LH may well be a changed man - I've no issue with him myself & am usually pleased when a Brit wins anything!

#DontShootTheMessenger
[Post edited 24 Jun 2019 13:42]

I’m sorry but the funding point just sounds like sour grapes - when the funding did come it came because he was an incredibly talented driver, something which has subsequently been borne out by him becoming one of the most successful Formula One drivers of all time

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Lewis Hamilton on 13:55 - Jun 24 with 2371 viewsRyorry

Lewis Hamilton on 13:48 - Jun 24 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

I’m sorry but the funding point just sounds like sour grapes - when the funding did come it came because he was an incredibly talented driver, something which has subsequently been borne out by him becoming one of the most successful Formula One drivers of all time

I'm only repeating what friend said - according to him no one denied that he was/is a talented driver, but so, he said, were others who would also have been successful if as much supported. Therefore it was perceived as unfair, so did cause a quite a bit of resentment, yes.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Lewis Hamilton on 13:57 - Jun 24 with 2359 viewsStokieBlue

Lewis Hamilton on 13:40 - Jun 24 by Ryorry

That wasn't the case. We were out walking & chatting at the time of another Grand Prix, and I simply said that I'd never understood why LH was so unpopular, as I'd seen many people on here say they couldn't stand him. So he explained, saying his feeling was widely shared amongst the other competitors.

And (according to him) LH, far from having to fight to get the funding, was fast-tracked for it because the funders were keen to support someone from a minority group background as a way of virtue signalling.

I simply posted in the first place for balance re JimmyJazz 's post. Tho yes, I agree, the karting was a long time ago & LH may well be a changed man - I've no issue with him myself & am usually pleased when a Brit wins anything!

#DontShootTheMessenger
[Post edited 24 Jun 2019 13:42]

"And (according to him) LH, far from having to fight to get the funding, was fast-tracked for it because the funders were keen to support someone from a minority group background as a way of virtue signalling. "

That explanation sounds even more bitter than what you had before!

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Lewis Hamilton on 13:58 - Jun 24 with 2357 viewsRyorry

Lewis Hamilton on 13:57 - Jun 24 by StokieBlue

"And (according to him) LH, far from having to fight to get the funding, was fast-tracked for it because the funders were keen to support someone from a minority group background as a way of virtue signalling. "

That explanation sounds even more bitter than what you had before!

SB

Again, according to him it was simply factually correct.

Lewis Hamilton on 13:59 - Jun 24 with 2351 viewsStokieBlue

Lewis Hamilton on 13:58 - Jun 24 by Ryorry

Again, according to him it was simply factually correct.

How would he know though? Perhaps he would have gotten the sponsorship if he was actually better?

It's sounds awful if you think about it. Essentially he is saying LH is only a F1 driver because he's black. All the evidence to the contrary shows him to be the best driver of his era and there on merit.

I think I know how that would look to most people.

SB
[Post edited 24 Jun 2019 14:02]

Lewis Hamilton on 14:00 - Jun 24 with 2344 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Lewis Hamilton on 13:55 - Jun 24 by Ryorry

I'm only repeating what friend said - according to him no one denied that he was/is a talented driver, but so, he said, were others who would also have been successful if as much supported. Therefore it was perceived as unfair, so did cause a quite a bit of resentment, yes.

I wasn’t saying they hadn’t said that, just that their opinion appeared to be sour grapes, and indeed whilst other drivers may well have had talent it’s a fairly laughable claim that they could have just become one of the most successful drivers ever too
[Post edited 24 Jun 2019 14:04]

Lewis Hamilton on 14:02 - Jun 24 with 2331 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Lewis Hamilton on 13:59 - Jun 24 by StokieBlue

How would he know though? Perhaps he would have gotten the sponsorship if he was actually better?

It's sounds awful if you think about it. Essentially he is saying LH is only a F1 driver because he's black. All the evidence to the contrary shows him to be the best driver of his era and there on merit.

SB

Although come to think of it, that does explain all the other black drivers in F1

Lewis Hamilton on 14:04 - Jun 24 with 2326 viewsRyorry

Lewis Hamilton on 13:59 - Jun 24 by StokieBlue

SB

Not what he said, which was that LH was given the chance when many others were just as talented.

Really haven't got any more to say on the subject, I'm only relaying what someone who was there at the time on the inside said - I had asked him as I was curious about/didn't understand why others on here had expressed dislike of LH; and friend replied factually & without bitterness - he's now v. happy doing a completely different job that he'd dreamt of doing since boyhood!

Login to get fewer ads

Lewis Hamilton on 14:07 - Jun 24 with 2315 viewsStokieBlue

Lewis Hamilton on 14:04 - Jun 24 by Ryorry

Not what he said, which was that LH was given the chance when many others were just as talented.

Really haven't got any more to say on the subject, I'm only relaying what someone who was there at the time on the inside said - I had asked him as I was curious about/didn't understand why others on here had expressed dislike of LH; and friend replied factually & without bitterness - he's now v. happy doing a completely different job that he'd dreamt of doing since boyhood!

"Not what he said, which was that LH was given the chance when many others were just as talented."

The evidence from the last 15 years of F1 makes a mockery of that assertion given nobody has come through who is as talented as LH. Alonso perhaps but even then Hamilton beat him in his rookie year.

Anyway we can leave it there.

SB

Lewis Hamilton on 14:11 - Jun 24 with 2308 viewsRyorry

Lewis Hamilton on 14:07 - Jun 24 by StokieBlue

"Not what he said, which was that LH was given the chance when many others were just as talented."

The evidence from the last 15 years of F1 makes a mockery of that assertion given nobody has come through who is as talented as LH. Alonso perhaps but even then Hamilton beat him in his rookie year.

Anyway we can leave it there.

SB

He would argue because they didn't get LH's kick start - how many openings were there in F1 at that time?

Anyway, yep, leaving it there.

Lewis Hamilton on 14:12 - Jun 24 with 2301 viewsStokieBlue

Lewis Hamilton on 14:11 - Jun 24 by Ryorry

He would argue because they didn't get LH's kick start - how many openings were there in F1 at that time?

Anyway, yep, leaving it there.

And the subsequent 15 years when nobody has come through?

It's making less sense the more you try and justify it I'm afraid.

SB

Lewis Hamilton on 14:23 - Jun 24 with 2285 viewsRyorry

Lewis Hamilton on 14:12 - Jun 24 by StokieBlue

And the subsequent 15 years when nobody has come through?

It's making less sense the more you try and justify it I'm afraid.

SB

I'm not talking about the 15 years inbetween, I'm talking about *then*, that year, that one chance that was up for grabs that year, for that particular group.

And for the umpteenth time, I'm not defending it, I'm simply relaying his comments which were given very factually and without side. Not sure why people are trying to twist things here.

Have a nice afternoon.
[Post edited 24 Jun 2019 14:24]

Lewis Hamilton on 14:48 - Jun 24 with 2262 viewsKropotkin123

Lewis Hamilton on 14:04 - Jun 24 by Ryorry

Perhaps his ability to judge the full future potential of kids, when he was a kid himself, is not as great as he thinks. It is a more likely than everyone else being just as talented. Particularly from the videos I've seen posted from his karting days.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Lewis Hamilton on 15:08 - Jun 24 with 2246 viewssundaze

Lewis Hamilton on 08:25 - Jun 24 by StokieBlue

That simply isn't fair. He's won the championship without the best car (McClaren) and he's consistently beaten his teammate in the same car.

I'm not comparing to Murray but plenty on here seem very quick to belittle his achievements. It's rather sad.

SB

Not sure the McLaren wasn't the best car in 2008, problem for McLaren was after losing Alonso they brought in Kovalainen and he struggled to get the best out of the car.
At least it was exciting that season, right up until the final corner of the final GP.
Lewis Hamilton on 15:41 - Jun 24 with 2232 viewsFather_Jack

he needs to go on Strictly.

Less is more.

Lewis Hamilton on 16:18 - Jun 24 with 2216 viewsyorkshireblue

For what it worth - which is nothing - I personally don't think any sportsperson should be knighted whilst still competing at the highest level.
Lewis Hamilton on 16:38 - Jun 24 with 2205 viewsBigManBlue

Phil Taylor.

I rest my case...

Poll: If Bart stays, who's no. 1?

Lewis Hamilton on 16:46 - Jun 24 with 2203 viewssundaze

Lewis Hamilton on 16:18 - Jun 24 by yorkshireblue

For what it worth - which is nothing - I personally don't think any sportsperson should be knighted whilst still competing at the highest level.

Agreed, I think they hand out too many Knighthoods and Damehoods, especially amongst sports people, it cheapens the value of them.
They should be rewarded for a lifetime of dedication to their chosen sport, not just for current success.
Lewis Hamilton on 18:50 - Jun 24 with 2175 viewsKropotkin123

Lewis Hamilton on 16:18 - Jun 24 by yorkshireblue

Agreed

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Lewis Hamilton on 18:52 - Jun 24 with 2172 viewschicoazul

BEcause he's a tax exile.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Lewis Hamilton on 10:11 - Jun 25 with 2107 viewsBlueRaider

Lewis Hamilton on 12:57 - Jun 24 by StokieBlue

Without getting into the specific knighthood argument, I always find this line of argument rather pathetic. It's tripped out for all kinds of things.

The logically conclusion is that nobody can ever leave this country if they are born here because they won't be paying tax. The argument is made against countless people and seems rather bitter.

SB

People can leave if they want to, most of them are not being spoken about in terms of getting honours.

He uses his British nationality when it suits him, but contributes nothing.

He's a leech in my view

Blog: Yellow Cards and Why They Bug Me

Lewis Hamilton on 12:06 - Jun 25 with 2089 viewsglasso

I don't think living in Monaco helps his cause.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024