Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Best/worst excuse for a member of staff blowing out of work. 08:07 - Jun 25 with 12382 viewsACP84

Today, I had an officer blow out because and I quote "It's raining"

Quick phone call later and he's on duty.

Anyone heard better?

Best/worst excuse for a member of staff blowing out of work. on 17:37 - Jun 25 with 1732 viewsMattinLondon

Best/worst excuse for a member of staff blowing out of work. on 12:00 - Jun 25 by chicoazul

You may well laugh but it wont be long before maternity and paternity leave doesnt exist and it all becomes parental leave, and men and women will be entitled to the same amount.

Surly that’ll be a good thing.
Best/worst excuse for a member of staff blowing out of work. on 17:38 - Jun 25 with 1731 viewswkj

Best/worst excuse for a member of staff blowing out of work. on 17:37 - Jun 25 by MattinLondon

Surly that’ll be a good thing.

Tell us more about your HR departments experiences with cheeky colleagues

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Best/worst excuse for a member of staff blowing out of work. on 17:41 - Jun 25 with 1727 viewsSpruceMoose

Best/worst excuse for a member of staff blowing out of work. on 10:14 - Jun 25 by J2BLUE

Childcare. It was the magic bullet at my previous company. If you were childless they basically thought they had first dibs on all your time. If you had a child you could call in at the last minute saying your child was ill or you couldn't get childcare and it was fine, no worries. If you were childless no excuse was good enough to refuse covering extra shifts and it was a real battle every week.

Typical fortnightly conversation:

"we need you to cover a shift on Saturday"
"I have worked the last three, i'm not working this one"
"You're going to have to"
"Why can't xxxx or xxxx do it?"
"They can't get childcare"
"They can't get childcare for any of the rubbish shifts or any weekends..."
"So we will need you to cover"
"No. I'm not doing it. I'm going to xxxxxxxxx"
"We really need cover"
"I can't do it, sorry"
"I'll see what I can do and get back to you"

*one of them was always able to get childcare if pushed a little bit*

A lot of people genuinely don't have the luxury of taking a long and relaxing lunch break in their car though. Them kids don't raise themselves!

Takes a village to raise a kid.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Best/worst excuse for a member of staff blowing out of work. on 17:42 - Jun 25 with 1727 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

I used to get myself sent home from school sick on the Tuesday morning of the Cheltenham Festival and when my parents would get home from work, I’d be ill for the week. Always fine by the Friday night though. Miraculous recovery.

Nobody ever clocked on and I did it from years 7 to 10.

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Best/worst excuse for a member of staff blowing out of work. on 17:43 - Jun 25 with 1722 viewsSpruceMoose

Best/worst excuse for a member of staff blowing out of work. on 17:42 - Jun 25 by The_Romford_Blue

I used to get myself sent home from school sick on the Tuesday morning of the Cheltenham Festival and when my parents would get home from work, I’d be ill for the week. Always fine by the Friday night though. Miraculous recovery.

Jesus. Gambling got its hooks in early eh!?

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

Best/worst excuse for a member of staff blowing out of work. on 17:43 - Jun 25 with 1722 viewswkj

Best/worst excuse for a member of staff blowing out of work. on 17:42 - Jun 25 by The_Romford_Blue

Missing 4 years worth of high-school for the nags is stupid

Crybaby

Best/worst excuse for a member of staff blowing out of work. on 17:44 - Jun 25 with 1712 viewsJ2BLUE

Best/worst excuse for a member of staff blowing out of work. on 17:41 - Jun 25 by SpruceMoose

A lot of people genuinely don't have the luxury of taking a long and relaxing lunch break in their car though. Them kids don't raise themselves!

Takes a village to raise a kid.

Well done, you've mentioned something completely unrelated.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Best/worst excuse for a member of staff blowing out of work. on 17:48 - Jun 25 with 1701 viewsSpruceMoose

Best/worst excuse for a member of staff blowing out of work. on 17:44 - Jun 25 by J2BLUE

Well done, you've mentioned something completely unrelated.

Sorry, just the me me me attitude of some people without kids is annoying. Seen it at work many times. No wonder community spirit is in the toilet. Kids are all of our futures. One will be wiping your bottom when you're old and bald.

If having one brings such great advantages maybe we should all pop one out.

Login to get fewer ads

Best/worst excuse for a member of staff blowing out of work. on 17:49 - Jun 25 with 1694 viewsGeoffSentence

Best/worst excuse for a member of staff blowing out of work. on 17:43 - Jun 25 by SpruceMoose

It is all too common

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/nhs-open-first-ever-gambling-230159414.html

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Best/worst excuse for a member of staff blowing out of work. on 17:50 - Jun 25 with 1687 viewswkj

Best/worst excuse for a member of staff blowing out of work. on 17:49 - Jun 25 by GeoffSentence

It is all too common

I think they should put stories like these in newsround, go in with the balance of argument early

Crybaby

Best/worst excuse for a member of staff blowing out of work. on 17:50 - Jun 25 with 1685 viewsSpruceMoose

Best/worst excuse for a member of staff blowing out of work. on 17:49 - Jun 25 by GeoffSentence

It is all too common

It really shouldn't be considered normal or 'top bantz'.
[Post edited 25 Jun 2019 17:51]

Best/worst excuse for a member of staff blowing out of work. on 17:52 - Jun 25 with 1676 viewsJ2BLUE

Best/worst excuse for a member of staff blowing out of work. on 17:48 - Jun 25 by SpruceMoose

Sorry, just the me me me attitude of some people without kids is annoying. Seen it at work many times. No wonder community spirit is in the toilet. Kids are all of our futures. One will be wiping your bottom when you're old and bald.

If having one brings such great advantages maybe we should all pop one out.

Me me me? You don't understand the situation I was in. The me me me was the other way around.

Truly impaired.

Best/worst excuse for a member of staff blowing out of work. on 18:02 - Jun 25 with 1651 viewsSpruceMoose

Best/worst excuse for a member of staff blowing out of work. on 17:52 - Jun 25 by J2BLUE

Me me me? You don't understand the situation I was in. The me me me was the other way around.

Not saying it wasn't, but that would be unusual.

Seen it my whole career. Parents, women especially, have to work twice as hard to prove their merits in the workplace than childless people.

Best/worst excuse for a member of staff blowing out of work. on 18:07 - Jun 25 with 1634 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Best/worst excuse for a member of staff blowing out of work. on 17:43 - Jun 25 by SpruceMoose

I wasn’t gambling in year 7. Didn’t have a penny on. Just loved watching the festival.

It’s not always about betting Spruce

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Best/worst excuse for a member of staff blowing out of work. on 18:07 - Jun 25 with 1632 viewsJ2BLUE

Best/worst excuse for a member of staff blowing out of work. on 18:02 - Jun 25 by SpruceMoose

Not saying it wasn't, but that would be unusual.

Seen it my whole career. Parents, women especially, have to work twice as hard to prove their merits in the workplace than childless people.

This wasn't like that. It was about them blatantly taking the piss as soon as they realised the company wouldn't push it any further. We literally advertised for someone to work weekends. The girl came to the interview, said childcare wasn't a problem at any time and then within a week suddenly she could only do the best shifts. My manager was too lazy to go through the whole hiring process again so went along with it. Honestly, they thought childless = married to the company and available at any time for any reason.

I would imagine it's completely different in an office and says more about the tin pot job I had than anything else.

Truly impaired.

Best/worst excuse for a member of staff blowing out of work. on 18:08 - Jun 25 with 1626 viewsSpruceMoose

Best/worst excuse for a member of staff blowing out of work. on 18:07 - Jun 25 by The_Romford_Blue

I wasn’t gambling in year 7. Didn’t have a penny on. Just loved watching the festival.

It’s not always about betting Spruce

If you were my son you'd have got the slipper.

Best/worst excuse for a member of staff blowing out of work. on 18:09 - Jun 25 with 1625 viewsFreddies_Ears

Best/worst excuse for a member of staff blowing out of work. on 11:18 - Jun 25 by jontysnut

used to work with someone who commuted from the Isle of Wight. Sometimes adverse weather meant he could get the hovercraft but one day he phoned to say he couldn't get in due to military exercises in the Solent

I had a staff member cry off due to expected snow. Half the office didn't make it in that day, as southern England was very snowy. But London was clear, and this bloke lived in St Katherine's Dock, with a vast commute all the way to Canary Wharf (DLR, bus, or a 40-minute walk).
Best/worst excuse for a member of staff blowing out of work. on 18:10 - Jun 25 with 1621 viewsNorthstaNder

Not an absence but one had someone at my old place of work turn up late. The excuse...heavy traffic. Fair enough we all thought.

Until we found out she walked!
Best/worst excuse for a member of staff blowing out of work. on 18:12 - Jun 25 with 1608 viewswkj

Best/worst excuse for a member of staff blowing out of work. on 18:08 - Jun 25 by SpruceMoose

Why the talk of sons? I thought being a Willie Stroker makes conception near to impossible

Crybaby

Best/worst excuse for a member of staff blowing out of work. on 18:13 - Jun 25 with 1603 viewsJ2BLUE

Best/worst excuse for a member of staff blowing out of work. on 18:08 - Jun 25 by SpruceMoose

Do you have children?

Truly impaired.

Best/worst excuse for a member of staff blowing out of work. on 18:13 - Jun 25 with 1605 viewsfooters

Best/worst excuse for a member of staff blowing out of work. on 18:07 - Jun 25 by J2BLUE

This wasn't like that. It was about them blatantly taking the piss as soon as they realised the company wouldn't push it any further. We literally advertised for someone to work weekends. The girl came to the interview, said childcare wasn't a problem at any time and then within a week suddenly she could only do the best shifts. My manager was too lazy to go through the whole hiring process again so went along with it. Honestly, they thought childless = married to the company and available at any time for any reason.

I would imagine it's completely different in an office and says more about the tin pot job I had than anything else.

I get what you mean. Not fair to lump all that extra work on someone like that, especially if it's a recurring thing. Everyone deserves a fair amount of rest and those with kids should have thought about work commitments before getting up the duff.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Best/worst excuse for a member of staff blowing out of work. on 18:17 - Jun 25 with 1587 viewsJ2BLUE

Best/worst excuse for a member of staff blowing out of work. on 18:13 - Jun 25 by footers

I get what you mean. Not fair to lump all that extra work on someone like that, especially if it's a recurring thing. Everyone deserves a fair amount of rest and those with kids should have thought about work commitments before getting up the duff.

I didn't even mind doing a bit extra. In school holidays I was happy to give them time off with their kids. If their partners were off and they wanted to go out for the day I was happy to swap shifts etc. It just became a major pisstake.

Truly impaired.

Best/worst excuse for a member of staff blowing out of work. on 18:18 - Jun 25 with 1583 viewsSpruceMoose

Best/worst excuse for a member of staff blowing out of work. on 18:13 - Jun 25 by J2BLUE

Do you have children?

Maybe I do, maybe I don't. That's too much personal information for this forum.

Let's just say I just appreciate the good that parents do and the contribution they make to our society in a world that doesn't make it easy for them.

Best/worst excuse for a member of staff blowing out of work. on 18:21 - Jun 25 with 1575 viewsfooters

Best/worst excuse for a member of staff blowing out of work. on 18:17 - Jun 25 by J2BLUE

I didn't even mind doing a bit extra. In school holidays I was happy to give them time off with their kids. If their partners were off and they wanted to go out for the day I was happy to swap shifts etc. It just became a major pisstake.

Depends if you're paid overtime/extra for weekends too I guess. Always happy when half-term/summer rolls around as the workload drops, office half empties and I can get a seat on the train! But know exactly what you mean.

I'm in the process of stamping out 'last-minute requests'- they're not requests at all, they're demands. And usually happen because some tool hasn't planned properly. So my answer now is a simple but firm 'No'. It's not going down too well, admittedly, but them's the breaks.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Best/worst excuse for a member of staff blowing out of work. on 18:23 - Jun 25 with 1562 viewsJ2BLUE

Best/worst excuse for a member of staff blowing out of work. on 18:18 - Jun 25 by SpruceMoose

Maybe I do, maybe I don't. That's too much personal information for this forum.

Let's just say I just appreciate the good that parents do and the contribution they make to our society in a world that doesn't make it easy for them.

Fair enough, and I don't disagree but I don't think having a kid makes you more important than someone that doesn't. Some people choose not to have kids for all the freedom that brings and have no desire to be part of the village raising someone else's.

I believe work is separate from family. Someone's childcare issues are not for me to solve. As I said earlier I would be flexible and swap shifts etc but on a long term ongoing basis childcare needs to be sorted without involving your colleagues IMO.

Truly impaired.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024