Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Paul Hurst working his magic again - Scunthorpe bottom of the EFL (n/t) 19:39 - Aug 21 with 6964 viewsitfcjoe

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Paul Hurst working his magic again - Scunthorpe bottom of the EFL (n/t) on 22:57 - Aug 21 with 2477 viewscatch74

Paul Hurst working his magic again - Scunthorpe bottom of the EFL (n/t) on 22:53 - Aug 21 by Mullet

He has to. Who else will reattach sailor fingers and beat off pirates?

Roger the cabin boy?

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

Paul Hurst working his magic again - Scunthorpe bottom of the EFL (n/t) on 22:59 - Aug 21 with 2474 viewsMullet

Paul Hurst working his magic again - Scunthorpe bottom of the EFL (n/t) on 22:57 - Aug 21 by catch74

Roger the cabin boy?

Just a rumour apparently.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Paul Hurst working his magic again - Scunthorpe bottom of the EFL (n/t) on 23:23 - Aug 21 with 2422 viewsSuperblue95

Paul Hurst working his magic again - Scunthorpe bottom of the EFL (n/t) on 19:53 - Aug 21 by jasondozzell

Bit harsh. It obviously didn't work here at all, but he seemed like a decent bloke and he had good intentions. I think the problem was he came in with attitude of a manager taking over lower league team and laying down the law, but there were more senior and established players here so didn't work the same way.
Don't wish him ill. Hope he can turn it around. For all the money they earn is a precarious career.

I’ll second that. Although I accept we are going to be in a very small minority

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

Paul Hurst working his magic again - Scunthorpe bottom of the EFL (n/t) on 01:02 - Aug 22 with 2383 viewsBlueBadger

Paul Hurst working his magic again - Scunthorpe bottom of the EFL (n/t) on 19:43 - Aug 21 by Herbivore

Another managerial career we've ended.

Of all the ones we've ended, he arguably deserves it the most.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Paul Hurst working his magic again - Scunthorpe bottom of the EFL (n/t) on 06:21 - Aug 22 with 2322 viewsBlueBadger

Paul Hurst working his magic again - Scunthorpe bottom of the EFL (n/t) on 20:08 - Aug 21 by NewcyBlue

Would you eat a burger made by J2?!?!

They had to take him off salads because he was burning those.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Paul Hurst working his magic again - Scunthorpe bottom of the EFL (n/t) on 07:49 - Aug 22 with 2260 viewsBluefish

Paul Hurst working his magic again - Scunthorpe bottom of the EFL (n/t) on 20:03 - Aug 21 by brogansnose

I think that the problem was that he came in and proved that he was totally out of his depth which coupled with his arrogance and sheer nasty streak - and that of his sidekick - led to our accelerated drop to the third tier of English football for the first time in aeons.

He absolutely decimated this club and I have no sympathy for him whatsoever. In this day and age everyone has a precarious career which isn't helped if you are damn useless at your chosen job path.

It is baffling how he got it so wrong. The appointment made sense in so many ways, he had the experience in the lower leagues so should have had good knowledge to find us some gems in and around that level. He had multiple clubs so had methods tested around different clubs and he was league 1 manager of the year. The system, conflict and arrogance was one thing but not necessarily that bad. He could have shaken things up here and done well but it was coupled with horrendous signings and then topped off with blind panic. The fact that we have KVY in the door again and we have paid for him tells me that he was scouted by someone at the club, presumably Bowman (obviously a guess) Hurst ignored at and hugely overpaid for Donacien. Add in that we also massively overpaid for Jackson and Edwards (arguably also Harrison) and it leaves a mess.

The reason I probably don't hate him more is that we had seen it all before with keane, it could be argued he did more damage by blowing our ticket to the riches of the Prem.

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Paul Hurst working his magic again - Scunthorpe bottom of the EFL (n/t) on 18:25 - Aug 22 with 2157 viewsbrogansnose

Paul Hurst working his magic again - Scunthorpe bottom of the EFL (n/t) on 07:49 - Aug 22 by Bluefish

It is baffling how he got it so wrong. The appointment made sense in so many ways, he had the experience in the lower leagues so should have had good knowledge to find us some gems in and around that level. He had multiple clubs so had methods tested around different clubs and he was league 1 manager of the year. The system, conflict and arrogance was one thing but not necessarily that bad. He could have shaken things up here and done well but it was coupled with horrendous signings and then topped off with blind panic. The fact that we have KVY in the door again and we have paid for him tells me that he was scouted by someone at the club, presumably Bowman (obviously a guess) Hurst ignored at and hugely overpaid for Donacien. Add in that we also massively overpaid for Jackson and Edwards (arguably also Harrison) and it leaves a mess.

The reason I probably don't hate him more is that we had seen it all before with keane, it could be argued he did more damage by blowing our ticket to the riches of the Prem.

As usual Fishers there's a lot in what you say. Perhaps the winning the L1 manager of the year led him to be overconfident. I had high hopes for the bloke but that mass clear out and wholesale changes set alarm bells off coupled with the fact that he clearly under estimated this league.

I feel that there's a lot of similarities between Keane and Hurst which led to them both extremely damaging in their own ways. I would add though that when Evans came into the football game blind with a stack of cash that he should have placed in post a proper D of F to act as overseer especially as he effectively wanted to adopt a low key approach to ownership which in itself has merits.

Anyway, we are where we are.

Uppa Towen.......................
Paul Hurst working his magic again - Scunthorpe bottom of the EFL (n/t) on 18:50 - Aug 22 with 2139 viewsWonky

Paul Hurst working his magic again - Scunthorpe bottom of the EFL (n/t) on 22:53 - Aug 21 by Mullet

I imagine there would a period of recovery for the fingers before the beating off begins, hope they're patient pirates.
Login to get fewer ads

Paul Hurst working his magic again - Scunthorpe bottom of the EFL (n/t) on 19:57 - Aug 22 with 2090 viewsNthQldITFC

That sounds like something Humphrey Lyttleton would say.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Paul Hurst working his magic again - Scunthorpe bottom of the EFL (n/t) on 20:19 - Aug 22 with 2076 viewsHipsterectomy

Being peak banter era we'll probably get Scunthorpe at home in the FA Cup first round and lose 3-0

Walter Smith's Barmy Army

Paul Hurst working his magic again - Scunthorpe bottom of the EFL (n/t) on 20:25 - Aug 22 with 2067 viewsPJH

Paul Hurst working his magic again - Scunthorpe bottom of the EFL (n/t) on 20:19 - Aug 22 by Hipsterectomy

Being peak banter era we'll probably get Scunthorpe at home in the FA Cup first round and lose 3-0

Possibly but if their league form continues as it is Hurst would be sacked before then.
Paul Hurst working his magic again - Scunthorpe bottom of the EFL (n/t) on 00:26 - Aug 23 with 2009 viewseddiespearitt03

Paul Hurst working his magic again - Scunthorpe bottom of the EFL (n/t) on 19:43 - Aug 21 by Herbivore

Another managerial career we've ended.

I might be the only person who feels he got a raw deal . Maybe there was a lot more going on behind the scenes that scuppered any chances of success at this club..
Paul Hurst working his magic again - Scunthorpe bottom of the EFL (n/t) on 01:36 - Aug 23 with 1989 viewsActionMan

Paul Hurst working his magic again - Scunthorpe bottom of the EFL (n/t) on 20:03 - Aug 21 by brogansnose

I think that the problem was that he came in and proved that he was totally out of his depth which coupled with his arrogance and sheer nasty streak - and that of his sidekick - led to our accelerated drop to the third tier of English football for the first time in aeons.

He absolutely decimated this club and I have no sympathy for him whatsoever. In this day and age everyone has a precarious career which isn't helped if you are damn useless at your chosen job path.

Probably the most popular appointment of any Ipswich manager since Burley though, I remember here, the EADT and various other sources saying he was the man to change everything here - essentially the anti-Mick. He ended up making those changes, young and exciting players from lower leagues, bringing in youngsters, clearing out the deadwood as a fair few put it, some said the August 2018 window was our best ever. I have never known such hype around a Town boss coming in. He was a total disaster from day one.
Paul Hurst working his magic again - Scunthorpe bottom of the EFL (n/t) on 09:14 - Aug 23 with 1880 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Paul Hurst working his magic again - Scunthorpe bottom of the EFL (n/t) on 07:49 - Aug 22 by Bluefish

That’s actually a really good point re Donacien - in fact there’s a strong argument that not signing KVY on a free last Summer has cost us £1.5m or so when you factor in the fee for Donacien (which we’re unlikely to get back) and costs for Bree too, as opposed to just the £500k we’ve now had to pay for him

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Paul Hurst working his magic again - Scunthorpe bottom of the EFL (n/t) on 09:50 - Aug 23 with 1845 viewsMullet

Paul Hurst working his magic again - Scunthorpe bottom of the EFL (n/t) on 01:36 - Aug 23 by ActionMan

Probably the most popular appointment of any Ipswich manager since Burley though, I remember here, the EADT and various other sources saying he was the man to change everything here - essentially the anti-Mick. He ended up making those changes, young and exciting players from lower leagues, bringing in youngsters, clearing out the deadwood as a fair few put it, some said the August 2018 window was our best ever. I have never known such hype around a Town boss coming in. He was a total disaster from day one.

Certainly the anti-Mick, destroyed team morale, destroyed the team, tacticaly inept, terrible football and we're in the third tier.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Paul Hurst working his magic again - Scunthorpe bottom of the EFL (n/t) on 09:53 - Aug 23 with 1832 viewsHerbivore

Paul Hurst working his magic again - Scunthorpe bottom of the EFL (n/t) on 00:26 - Aug 23 by eddiespearitt03

I might be the only person who feels he got a raw deal . Maybe there was a lot more going on behind the scenes that scuppered any chances of success at this club..

Yeah, I'd hope you're alone in that view. The man was massively out of his depth and I say that as someone who vocally backed him being appointed and wanted him to succeed. From Norwich onwards it became increasingly clear that he wasn't remotely up to the job.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024