Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Worst player to ever put on a town shirt? 11:49 - Aug 29 with 21063 viewswkj

Prompted by the mention of Leon Best on another post, I realise there have been far worse. Reo-Coker springs to mind, but I think Samassi Abou stands out as I remember town players deliberately avoiding passing to him on his last game for us.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Worst player to ever put on a town shirt? on 16:38 - Aug 29 with 3455 viewsEatonBlue

Worst player to ever put on a town shirt? on 12:26 - Aug 29 by iamipswich

Balint Bajner?

Played the 1st half against Fulham and practically never seen again when McCarthy realised the Championship wasn't for him

No Bajner No Party
Worst player to ever put on a town shirt? on 16:41 - Aug 29 with 3451 viewsEatonBlue

Steve Stacey or James Alabi
[Post edited 29 Aug 2019 17:11]
Worst player to ever put on a town shirt? on 16:43 - Aug 29 with 3446 viewsjas0999

Tough one. Adam Proudlock was very poor, yet Adrian Paz was a complete waste of money and over hyped.
Worst player to ever put on a town shirt? on 16:53 - Aug 29 with 3424 viewsChurchman

Worst player to ever put on a town shirt? on 16:20 - Aug 29 by Churchman

Lee Chapman. My grandad would have contributed more than him and he’d been dead 20 years before the Chapmeister turned up. Woeful, but hey, he topped up his pension.

Second place: Jonathan Douglas. Laughed at by opposition fans (Newcastle in particular), but it used to enrage me that a has-been like him, whose prime was 10 years before in the 3rd Division, was stealing a living and he was still being bigged up by MM as a ‘proper bloke’. He was proper useless.

3rd place: Graham Harbey. Staggeringly inept. It was like somebody in the crowd had won a prize to play with the team.

Honourable mention: Glenn Pennyfather. He played with a built up boot because one leg was shorter than the other. I thought he ought to have played in callipers. He couldn’t have been any worse.

I was going to mention Frank Nouble. He never had a clue where he was in relation to anyone else on the pitch, the ball or anything else. He was so bad it was hilarious, so for entertainment value alone he was not the worst.

Drissa Diallo deserves a mention. Looked promising in a pre season game but died like a louse in a Russians beard as the season progressed. Awful player.
Worst player to ever put on a town shirt? on 17:14 - Aug 29 with 3403 viewsLankHenners

Worst player to ever put on a town shirt? on 16:53 - Aug 29 by Churchman

I was going to mention Frank Nouble. He never had a clue where he was in relation to anyone else on the pitch, the ball or anything else. He was so bad it was hilarious, so for entertainment value alone he was not the worst.

Drissa Diallo deserves a mention. Looked promising in a pre season game but died like a louse in a Russians beard as the season progressed. Awful player.

Leave Frank out of this - never deserves to be on these sorts of lists. Limited ability but had a few games where his pure pace and strength was rather effective (Derby at home with the Berra last minute winner stands out).

Douglas wasn’t *that* bad either.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Worst player to ever put on a town shirt? on 17:16 - Aug 29 with 3397 viewsGarv

Worst player to ever put on a town shirt? on 17:14 - Aug 29 by LankHenners

Leave Frank out of this - never deserves to be on these sorts of lists. Limited ability but had a few games where his pure pace and strength was rather effective (Derby at home with the Berra last minute winner stands out).

It annoyed me how much game time Nouble got, we had better players warming the bench. But I agree, he doesn't belong on this thread.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Worst player to ever put on a town shirt? on 17:20 - Aug 29 with 3393 viewsPJH

If I was to try to name someone for this I would probably start with a short list made up of four or five of Jackie Milburn's signings.

On the other hand Jackie Milburn made three or four very good signings AND started our youth team.
Worst player to ever put on a town shirt? on 17:32 - Aug 29 with 3380 viewshandslikeplates

Worst player to ever put on a town shirt? on 12:03 - Aug 29 by LeBlue

Mark Fish.

The answer to this question is always going to be that 45 min cameo by Mark Fish at QPR. Horror show bless him.
Login to get fewer ads

Worst player to ever put on a town shirt? on 17:43 - Aug 29 with 3366 viewsSuperblue95

Worst player to ever put on a town shirt? on 16:41 - Aug 29 by EatonBlue

Steve Stacey or James Alabi
[Post edited 29 Aug 2019 17:11]

James Alabi?

He must have one of the best goal to games ratios in the history of the club, if not the best

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

Worst player to ever put on a town shirt? on 19:23 - Aug 29 with 3284 viewsHipsterectomy

Worst player to ever put on a town shirt? on 17:43 - Aug 29 by Superblue95

James Alabi?

He must have one of the best goal to games ratios in the history of the club, if not the best

I work with a Leyton fan and he says Alabi is one of the worst players he's ever seen - even when they were in the conference winning every week

Walter Smith's Barmy Army

Worst player to ever put on a town shirt? on 19:26 - Aug 29 with 3284 viewsIllinoisblue

Adam Proudlock wasn't great.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Worst player to ever put on a town shirt? on 19:47 - Aug 29 with 3270 viewsChurchman

Worst player to ever put on a town shirt? on 17:14 - Aug 29 by LankHenners

Haha, Frank was a loveable character, but in my view and in just about everyone who was sitting near by, it was a great laugh when he came on and I was always pleased to see him (which was why I thought he should not be excluded) but sorry, he was awful.

Douglas not ‘that bad’??? I love football because it’s a game of opinions. Douglas used to run like someone who desperately needed the thunderbox. Knees together! He was behind the game always, just missed a tackle - always, drifted around and contributed nothing - in my view. Yes, he ‘weighed in’ with a massive 3 goals in his 59 appearances which against Skuse makes him a goal machine but sorry, his name on the team sheet was one of the most depressing sights in all my years following ITFC.
Worst player to ever put on a town shirt? on 20:10 - Aug 29 with 3244 viewsStuartBrett8

Worst player to ever put on a town shirt? on 15:45 - Aug 29 by Hipsterectomy

Not the worst but Bilel Mohsni was a weird one - 18 goals in 62 games for Southend. Could play as a centreback, winger or striker. Refused to turn up for training with them and was constantly getting sent off. He had a trial at West Ham and scored a goal and own goal. Had a trial at Celtic before joining Rangers where he was sent off for punching a player, punching and kicking another player and headbutting another.

Apparently he played 5 times for Town and I remember none of it

We had him on trial, we never actually signed him up... pretty sure he got sent off pre-season?

Stop the world, I want to get off
Poll: What should we do with Frank Nouble?

Worst player to ever put on a town shirt? on 20:17 - Aug 29 with 3233 viewsagentp

Marco Holster.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rec.sport.soccer/7P4zY5B6xRM
[Post edited 29 Aug 2019 20:20]

Poll: If only these two were available who would you choose for the rest of the season

Worst player to ever put on a town shirt? on 20:20 - Aug 29 with 3228 viewsHipsterectomy

Worst player to ever put on a town shirt? on 20:10 - Aug 29 by StuartBrett8

We had him on trial, we never actually signed him up... pretty sure he got sent off pre-season?

We had him on loan for 3 months

Walter Smith's Barmy Army

Worst player to ever put on a town shirt? on 20:24 - Aug 29 with 3222 viewsStuartBrett8

Worst player to ever put on a town shirt? on 20:20 - Aug 29 by Hipsterectomy

We had him on loan for 3 months

according to wiki we had him a week and then he went on trial at Brum, then a 3 month loan... apologies lol
[Post edited 29 Aug 2019 20:25]

Stop the world, I want to get off
Poll: What should we do with Frank Nouble?

Worst player to ever put on a town shirt? on 20:56 - Aug 29 with 3188 viewsEpiphone

To those mentioned before,Harbey,Douglas and Dinning I'd add Manuel Thetis.
Worst player to ever put on a town shirt? on 21:39 - Aug 29 with 3149 viewsEly_Blue

Colin Healy!

I will never forget the game in which he was so poor at PR that he was subbed after 20 minutes of the first half, can’t remember if it was Keane or Jewell who signed him but how the hell he made 19 appearances for us is beyond me

Poll: Will you still buy a Season Ticket for next year in league 1

Worst player to ever put on a town shirt? on 21:52 - Aug 29 with 3117 viewsLesta_Tractor

Worst player to ever put on a town shirt? on 20:56 - Aug 29 by Epiphone

To those mentioned before,Harbey,Douglas and Dinning I'd add Manuel Thetis.

But that goal at West brom!

1:23:47, 38:26
Poll: What is more important to you?

Worst player to ever put on a town shirt? on 21:53 - Aug 29 with 3114 viewsSwailsey

Worst player to ever put on a town shirt? on 21:39 - Aug 29 by Ely_Blue

Colin Healy!

I will never forget the game in which he was so poor at PR that he was subbed after 20 minutes of the first half, can’t remember if it was Keane or Jewell who signed him but how the hell he made 19 appearances for us is beyond me

Again, a joke surely?!!

Jewell publicly apologised for taking him off afterwards.

He was unplayable against Arsenal and formed a very good midfield with (loan) Bullard.

Not a world beater by any means, but for £50,000 I’d say we more than got our money’s worth!

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

Worst player to ever put on a town shirt? on 21:59 - Aug 29 with 3098 viewsStNeotsBlue

Plenty of shocking performances and players already mentioned and I'll throw Connor Sammon into the mix, absolute dog poo. But kept getting a chance, used to make my head hurt.
Worst player to ever put on a town shirt? on 22:11 - Aug 29 with 3083 viewsagentp

Worst player to ever put on a town shirt? on 21:52 - Aug 29 by Lesta_Tractor

But that goal at West brom!

Quite. Worth a statue in its own right.

Poll: If only these two were available who would you choose for the rest of the season

Worst player to ever put on a town shirt? on 22:13 - Aug 29 with 3080 viewsChurchman

Worst player to ever put on a town shirt? on 21:59 - Aug 29 by StNeotsBlue

Plenty of shocking performances and players already mentioned and I'll throw Connor Sammon into the mix, absolute dog poo. But kept getting a chance, used to make my head hurt.

Good call. Little was expected when he turned up and he delivered even less. Desperate.
Worst player to ever put on a town shirt? on 22:19 - Aug 29 with 3071 viewsagentp

Worst player to ever put on a town shirt? on 22:13 - Aug 29 by Churchman

Good call. Little was expected when he turned up and he delivered even less. Desperate.

C'mon that's not fair. Any player that scores more goals; I accept that's not many, with his Arse, knee and shin than he does with his foot should command far more respect. Pretty sure his entire goal tally here was scored without actually using a foot!

Worst player to ever put on a town shirt? on 22:24 - Aug 29 with 3061 viewsClapham_Junction

Worst player to ever put on a town shirt? on 13:51 - Aug 29 by BlueBadger

In terms of money spent vs return on that investment, a toss-up between Paul Taylor, Tamas Priskin and Lee Martin.
[Post edited 29 Aug 2019 15:18]

On that basis, I'd go for Amir Karic. £700k for zero league appearances.

Also, he must have been in our top 10 most expensive signings at the point we bought him.
[Post edited 29 Aug 2019 22:28]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024