Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Chain restaurant decline continues 22:46 - Sep 3 with 8098 viewscatch74

Over 110 Frankie & Benny’s earmarked to close after £79m half year losses.
Can’t say I’m surprised.

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

Chain restaurant decline continues on 14:21 - Sep 4 with 2625 viewsSwansea_Blue

Chain restaurant decline continues on 11:22 - Sep 4 by footers

Think the UK still does pretty well in terms of independently-run restaurants as opposed to the proliferation of chains in the US. But that's not saying much.

And isn't Denny's the one which just serves warm ham/beef rolls? Not sure I'd leave the house for that!

Denny's is the full American Diner experience, so yeah it's pretty much that. People here seem to flock to it for breakfasts. I doubt it's because it's any good - just the novelty of something 'exotic'. They're crap in the US too.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Chain restaurant decline continues on 14:22 - Sep 4 with 2621 viewsmonytowbray

Chain restaurant decline continues on 14:16 - Sep 4 by itfcjoe

I don't know how all of these survive - they are usually in prime bits of real estate, next to 5 or 6 other eateries and all offering big discounts on Sunday to Thursday, and usually empty those days too.

I think there will be loads more going soon, as eating habits change to healthier and veggie/vegans increase in numbers for moral reasons.

A shame as jobs will go, but they don't add much

I think Nandos will survive. There's nothing really to rival it other than cooking at home, but it's got a slick system where most feel it's reasonably priced, you know what you're getting and the service is fast. Ironically Nandos has been one of the best places to go when you're veggie/vegan for at least 15 years, was my go-to when eating out whilst vegetarian at uni.

Zizzi and Ask have expanded vegan menus and were quite early adaptors on the UK chain front, but I think the novelty has worn off now as supermarket options improve.If my Mum wanted to meet me in town for lunch they'd be on my suggestion list but I don't think I'd go out of my way to eat there because I was craving it.

Plus, being Chas & Dave now I'm spoilt for choice, there's a dedicated independent vegan place for pretty much anything now, bar steak houses.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Chain restaurant decline continues on 14:23 - Sep 4 with 2618 viewsRadlett_blue

Chain restaurant decline continues on 22:57 - Sep 3 by StokieBlue

I wouldn't feed it to Schrödinger's cat.

SB

You would have to feed it to Schrodinger's dog because I hear that his cat has died.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Chain restaurant decline continues on 14:24 - Sep 4 with 2610 viewsmonytowbray

Chain restaurant decline continues on 14:21 - Sep 4 by Swansea_Blue

Denny's is the full American Diner experience, so yeah it's pretty much that. People here seem to flock to it for breakfasts. I doubt it's because it's any good - just the novelty of something 'exotic'. They're crap in the US too.

Isn't it basically American Little Chef?
[Post edited 4 Sep 2019 14:24]

TWTD never forgets…

Chain restaurant decline continues on 14:30 - Sep 4 with 2591 viewswkj

Chain restaurant decline continues on 14:24 - Sep 4 by monytowbray

No

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Chain restaurant decline continues on 14:30 - Sep 4 with 2592 viewsitfcjoe

Chain restaurant decline continues on 14:22 - Sep 4 by monytowbray

I think Nandos will survive. There's nothing really to rival it other than cooking at home, but it's got a slick system where most feel it's reasonably priced, you know what you're getting and the service is fast. Ironically Nandos has been one of the best places to go when you're veggie/vegan for at least 15 years, was my go-to when eating out whilst vegetarian at uni.

Zizzi and Ask have expanded vegan menus and were quite early adaptors on the UK chain front, but I think the novelty has worn off now as supermarket options improve.If my Mum wanted to meet me in town for lunch they'd be on my suggestion list but I don't think I'd go out of my way to eat there because I was craving it.

Plus, being Chas & Dave now I'm spoilt for choice, there's a dedicated independent vegan place for pretty much anything now, bar steak houses.

Yeah Nando's is incredibly popular with 'the kids' these days, so think that will survive.

The rest are just much of a muchness for me - if I were looking to eat at one of Pizza Express, Ask, Zizzi, F&B etc, it would literally be a case of seeing if there are any vouchercodes or taste card etc as wouldn't pay full price - and wouldn't buy a beer at £6.60 or whatever it is. They are just so far down the list of where I would go.

EDIT _ nandos good for work or team lunches as well - no awkwardness around splitting the bill, everyone orders what they wants and pays and then can relax. Not the sort of thing that bothers me but it does lots of people.
[Post edited 4 Sep 2019 14:31]

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Chain restaurant decline continues on 14:33 - Sep 4 with 2582 viewswkj

Im okay with Nandos, largely because the food I have had there has been ok and worth the price, it is hard to really go wrong with chicken. Nandos also sets itself up to run like a silverware fast food restaurant and doesn't try to hide that fact.

Crybaby

Chain restaurant decline continues on 14:37 - Sep 4 with 2575 viewsmonytowbray

Chain restaurant decline continues on 14:30 - Sep 4 by itfcjoe

Yeah Nando's is incredibly popular with 'the kids' these days, so think that will survive.

The rest are just much of a muchness for me - if I were looking to eat at one of Pizza Express, Ask, Zizzi, F&B etc, it would literally be a case of seeing if there are any vouchercodes or taste card etc as wouldn't pay full price - and wouldn't buy a beer at £6.60 or whatever it is. They are just so far down the list of where I would go.

EDIT _ nandos good for work or team lunches as well - no awkwardness around splitting the bill, everyone orders what they wants and pays and then can relax. Not the sort of thing that bothers me but it does lots of people.

Made the mistzake of going to Zizzi's with my daughter after the Sunderland game and forgot my Tastecard doesn't work there on weekends. £40 for a pizza, some pork belly thing and dessert. Felt steep to me for what it was.

TWTD never forgets…

Login to get fewer ads

Chain restaurant decline continues on 14:37 - Sep 4 with 2572 viewsfooters

Chain restaurant decline continues on 14:33 - Sep 4 by wkj

Im okay with Nandos, largely because the food I have had there has been ok and worth the price, it is hard to really go wrong with chicken. Nandos also sets itself up to run like a silverware fast food restaurant and doesn't try to hide that fact.

Anyone who pays to eat jumped up chicken in a basket needs their head checking. Feck that. Buy a rotisserie one and eat it at home in your pants.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Chain restaurant decline continues on 14:40 - Sep 4 with 2564 viewswkj

Chain restaurant decline continues on 14:37 - Sep 4 by footers

Anyone who pays to eat jumped up chicken in a basket needs their head checking. Feck that. Buy a rotisserie one and eat it at home in your pants.

Because of Brexit the supermarkets are getting rid of their counter service, did you think about that before voting for the Borris Bus Bumfest you gammon?

Crybaby

Chain restaurant decline continues on 14:52 - Sep 4 with 2540 viewsSpruceMoose

Chain restaurant decline continues on 14:24 - Sep 4 by monytowbray

Not in the slightest.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Chain restaurant decline continues on 15:08 - Sep 4 with 2525 viewsGeoffSentence

Chain restaurant decline continues on 14:16 - Sep 4 by itfcjoe

I don't know how all of these survive - they are usually in prime bits of real estate, next to 5 or 6 other eateries and all offering big discounts on Sunday to Thursday, and usually empty those days too.

I think there will be loads more going soon, as eating habits change to healthier and veggie/vegans increase in numbers for moral reasons.

A shame as jobs will go, but they don't add much

Not a shame in any way. There will be a short term job loss, but these chains employ fewer people to churn out cheap cr@p than proper restaurants do to turn out good food, and they also benefit from the tax avoidance schemes available to large companies so contribute less to society than their local competition.

If people are turning to good local restaurants in place of these chain offerings it is a win all round.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Chain restaurant decline continues on 15:09 - Sep 4 with 2524 viewsSpruceMoose

Chain restaurant decline continues on 14:52 - Sep 4 by SpruceMoose

Not in the slightest.

Odd downvote. It isn't!

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Chain restaurant decline continues on 15:13 - Sep 4 with 2520 viewscaught-in-limbo

Bluddy Brexit!

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

Chain restaurant decline continues on 15:27 - Sep 4 with 2508 viewsSikamikanico

Chain restaurant decline continues on 14:30 - Sep 4 by itfcjoe

Never had anything but a bad experience in Nando's. Consider it overpriced myself.

Full of "Lads" with their "top bantz"
Chain restaurant decline continues on 16:00 - Sep 4 with 2467 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Chain restaurant decline continues on 14:22 - Sep 4 by monytowbray

No chance Nando’s will be in trouble anytime soon, they’re flying. In fact they are probably a big part of the reason of why F&B’s and some other chains have been struggling - along with a few other more modern, trendier chains

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Chain restaurant decline continues on 16:03 - Sep 4 with 2457 viewsitfcjoe

Chain restaurant decline continues on 14:37 - Sep 4 by monytowbray

Made the mistzake of going to Zizzi's with my daughter after the Sunderland game and forgot my Tastecard doesn't work there on weekends. £40 for a pizza, some pork belly thing and dessert. Felt steep to me for what it was.

Ouch - hope you had a good time with your daughter though

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Chain restaurant decline continues on 16:53 - Sep 4 with 2417 viewsmonytowbray

Chain restaurant decline continues on 16:03 - Sep 4 by itfcjoe

Ouch - hope you had a good time with your daughter though

It was great fun thanks, she looked terrified when we scored, she went in the SBRL for her first game haha.

Disneyland was the highlight though :)

TWTD never forgets…

Chain restaurant decline continues on 20:20 - Sep 4 with 2330 viewsallezlesbleus

I cannot for the life of me understand why people are surprised when a "popular restaurant chain" goes bust. Almost all of them are total pants. It really annoys me that almost every shopping centre in the UK has the same shops and restaurants...….so bland, boring and overpriced, with poor service.
Chain restaurant decline continues on 20:39 - Sep 4 with 2321 viewsjas0999

Absolutely terrible food. Well overpriced. Terrible service.
Chain restaurant decline continues on 20:40 - Sep 4 with 2319 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Chain restaurant decline continues on 16:53 - Sep 4 by monytowbray

It was great fun thanks, she looked terrified when we scored, she went in the SBRL for her first game haha.

Disneyland was the highlight though :)

That’s actually awesome, good for you

Chain restaurant decline continues on 20:52 - Sep 4 with 2312 viewsEwan_Oozami

Saw Norwood, Will Keane and Garbutt in Cardinal Park Nando's before the game last night - just saying...

And there was a table of teenagers who were going to the game going all fanboi over them - tbf to the guys they spent a good few minutes chatting and posing for selfies...then I let the teenagers through...

Respect to Norwood, Keane and Garbutt for spending time with the young fans - I wouldn't be responsible for my actions if I'm kept away from my 5 chicken wings (medium)...

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Chain restaurant decline continues on 21:24 - Sep 4 with 2286 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Nando’s doesn’t serve chicken in a basket

Chain restaurant decline continues on 21:25 - Sep 4 with 2286 viewspbishop1799

Market trend. People have more entertainment in their homes now – for when they’re not at the gym.

These places have also been ‘found out’ for their quality (lack of) by increasingly discerning customers.

There are exceptions, but they tend to do *one thing really well*, a la Franco Manca
[Post edited 4 Sep 2019 21:28]
Chain restaurant decline continues on 22:39 - Sep 4 with 2255 viewsjeera

Chain restaurant decline continues on 20:20 - Sep 4 by allezlesbleus

I cannot for the life of me understand why people are surprised when a "popular restaurant chain" goes bust. Almost all of them are total pants. It really annoys me that almost every shopping centre in the UK has the same shops and restaurants...….so bland, boring and overpriced, with poor service.

You gotta say, it shows the mentality of a rather large chunk of the population that so many of these places have been/ are still so damn successful.

These people get a vote by the way.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024