Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Beat 09:46 - Sep 6 with 13560 viewsBlueinBrum

Could one of you old codgers who remembers seeing the Beat in his pomp give some insight into what it was that made him such a special player?

For me having never had the pleasure of watching the truly great ITFC teams (other than some highlight reels), it can be hard to visualise exactly what was so impressive about certain individuals.

What made him stand out? Who would you liken his playing style to him from the modern day game?
The Beat on 19:43 - Sep 6 with 2010 viewsronnyd

He, to me, was a 1off. Can,t think of anyone in the modern game comes close to what Beattie was when in his pomp. He played the same then as he did when he first came into the side, full blooded with no fear. He was immense.
The Beat on 19:46 - Sep 6 with 2003 viewsGrandadDel

The Beat on 19:41 - Sep 6 by wkj

Too many broadsides for you tonight captain, back to bed with you, aka fk off mate

Charming. Have a lovely evening..
The Beat on 19:52 - Sep 6 with 1993 viewswkj

The Beat on 19:46 - Sep 6 by GrandadDel

Charming. Have a lovely evening..

Balls to you

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

The Beat on 20:07 - Sep 6 with 1969 viewsghostofescobar

I was a kid when I was watching him (I'm 51 now), but he was the player that stood out, even as as a kid. Always first to the ball. Bringing the ball out from the back. Fearless. Fast as fvck. Good in the the air and the on the ground. Read the game. He just seemed like a hero to me as a child. I always remember that photo shoot they did of him in front of, I think, a million quid. Him and a pile of cash! Because that's what they said he was worth. That just raised his hero status for me! I regret never meeting him and telling him what an impression he left on a little kid from a small village in Suffolk.

GhostOfEscobar

The Beat on 20:32 - Sep 6 with 1942 viewsBeckets

The Beat on 19:39 - Sep 6 by GrandadDel

That statute looks like Burt Reynolds though

This thread shows the best of this site and you make a comment look like that. Pathetic.
The Beat on 20:51 - Sep 6 with 1915 views66notout

The Beat on 16:33 - Sep 6 by Mullet

I can't add much as I was only raised on the folklore by Snr and the elders of the Halesworth branch but I think van Dijk is the best shout and see someone has raised that already. If you read the hyperbole VvD attracts it's eerily close to what people said about the Beat.

Dave Dymond's profile of him is an excellent listen if you didn't catch it the first time around.

Thank you for posting that. Like you said, an excellent listen, despite a number of inaccuracies. Who is the guy paying tribute to The Beat?
The Beat on 21:08 - Sep 6 with 1901 viewsSuffolktractor

I have seen a lot of top players in many different sports, but I have never seen any one as brilliantly awesome as Kevin Beattie.
I was barely a teenager when he started playing for us, he was the player we all wanted to be. Power, pace, skill, determination he had the lot. You could see opposition players ‘freeze’ when they got near him, although with Big Al growling next to him, I don’t blame them!
I feel blessed to have seen his whole career and I can’t think there will ever be anyone quite as good as him again.
The Beat on 22:02 - Sep 6 with 1859 viewsnorth_stand77

The Beat on 11:04 - Sep 6 by Heathlander

I was lucky enough to start watching the town in 1974. So for the first 8 years or so Ipswich were one of the best teams in the country and then in Europe.

Kevin Beattie was just a phenomenon. He was lightning quick, he could jump higher than new Ronaldo, he had a harder shot than anyone in today's game, he was as brave as a Tony Adams or John Terry, he could tackle and also he would be able to play from the back like a Harry Maguire. He could also pass the ball like Steven Gerrard. He was a Frankenstein footballer. All the best skills of all the greats mixed into one. He really was that Good. Unfortunately he had a bit of 'Gazza' about him too. Daft as a brush. But also a lovely bloke.

He would be the world record holder transfer fee for a defender if he played now at his peak and would be playing for Barca or real Madrid. He should have played over a 100 times for England. But injuries stopped that. He was a footballing God.

Hopefully that helps youo envisage what he was like.

Very accurate description of him.

I absolutely loved watching him as he was so dependable and exciting.
My group of friends I used to go to the games with always called him 'Bomber Beattie' as he would collect the ball, put his head down and charge forwards strongly and skilfully

My favourite Town player of all time.
Login to get fewer ads

The Beat on 07:24 - Sep 7 with 1779 viewsallezlesbleus

The Beat on 20:07 - Sep 6 by ghostofescobar

I was a kid when I was watching him (I'm 51 now), but he was the player that stood out, even as as a kid. Always first to the ball. Bringing the ball out from the back. Fearless. Fast as fvck. Good in the the air and the on the ground. Read the game. He just seemed like a hero to me as a child. I always remember that photo shoot they did of him in front of, I think, a million quid. Him and a pile of cash! Because that's what they said he was worth. That just raised his hero status for me! I regret never meeting him and telling him what an impression he left on a little kid from a small village in Suffolk.

I think it was half a million, that Coventry offered for him.

Suprised no one on here has mentioned his goal from in front of the dug outs, into the North Stand goal, against Leeds.
The Beat on 07:29 - Sep 7 with 1775 viewsWeWereZombies

The Beat on 18:22 - Sep 6 by LegendofthePhoenix

A few of my memories of the Beat.
I recall playing an evening match under the floodlights against Derby at PR. We were awarded a free kick very near the corner of our own 18 yd box. All the outfield players go u int Derby's box, the Beat then hits a 70yd free kick right onto Trevor Whymark's bonce.

I recall seeing Beattie outpace "Supermac" like he was going backwards, and Malcolm MacDonald was supposed to be the quickest striker in the league.

The Beat was invited to take part in Superstars, where different sports people all compete in a variety of sporting contests. He was running away with the 100m until hits nuts fell out of his ridiculous shorts, and the farcical and hilarious sight of him trying to tuck them back in as he completed the race, I think he finished 3rd in the end.

There is an account of that running race in Sir Bobby's 'An Englishman Abroad' and why it was such a disappointment to many of the Town squad.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

The Beat on 18:05 - Sep 7 with 1691 views3_5_2

The Beat on 10:24 - Sep 6 by itfcjoe

Been lucky enough to hear his former team mates talk about him - and they nicknamed him 'Monster'.

On the pitch they all just say he was the best at everything int he squad, the quickest player, the best passer, the most powerful shot, the strongest, the highest leap etc.

Only going from what I've heard so maybe not what you are looking for, but sounds as though he was similar to Wayne Rooney in that he was a 'man' at 16/17 and had that stature when he broke through into the team.

A few have said that it all came too easy to him, so when he needed to be more discipined later in career with injury and rehab he didn't have it in him to do so as had never needed to do so. Also Mariner esepcially felt that the physio's mistreated him trying to make a name for himself in getting him back early. Guess his knees were like Ledley King by the end, where he would just get wheeled out for the big games and barely trained.

I read somewhere that he was given cortisone injunctions in his knees to get him back on the pitch but of course this masks the issue and the damage never got a chance to repair and his knees were shot to pieces. Criminal

His abilities have been covered but I played against him when he played for the Belstead Arms in Sunday league and he scored a header that was hit so hard everyone on the pitch just stopped and just went “Holy Sh@t” !

A top top player.

Hindsight is always 20:20
Poll: Which system should we play?

The Beat on 19:58 - Sep 7 with 1661 viewsbluejacko

To sum up all of the previous posts THERE WAS ONLY ONE KEVIN BEATIE!
I was lucky enough to watch him play and agree with everyone when they say he was in a class of his own.
The Beat on 17:58 - Sep 8 with 1530 viewsbluebudgie

I'm 61 so I was fortunate enough to watch Beattie from the time of his debut. I cant add much to what has already been said ,but I will add that when it was announced that he wasn't playing a match(which was numerous with his injuries) it felt like we had lost three players not one! Honestly he was that brilliant.
The Beat on 19:07 - Sep 8 with 1504 viewsNo9

I would suggest he was naturally gifted.
I saw him play as a youth player & he was outstanding in strength, ability and vision
I'm not sure that any team in those days had coaches that coud bring that out
He just continued on until injury ended his career, that was the sadest thing he was finished at such a young age
The Beat on 19:43 - Sep 8 with 1489 viewsghostofescobar

The Beat on 07:24 - Sep 7 by allezlesbleus

I think it was half a million, that Coventry offered for him.

Suprised no one on here has mentioned his goal from in front of the dug outs, into the North Stand goal, against Leeds.

I was there! I saw that goal in the flesh! Can't believe I didn't go for that anecdote.

GhostOfEscobar

The Beat on 06:58 - Sep 9 with 1432 viewsjontysnut

The Beat on 19:43 - Sep 8 by ghostofescobar

I was there! I saw that goal in the flesh! Can't believe I didn't go for that anecdote.

And he beat Sylvester Stallone in an arm wrestling contest..
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024