Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? 11:35 - Oct 2 with 35378 viewsBrixtonBlue

Yes, I'm bored at work.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 09:57 - Oct 4 with 619 viewsBrixtonBlue

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 09:47 - Oct 4 by Herbivore

I didn't state it as anything. I just stated it. It is folly to think there is a bigger reason for life in my view, it's a pointless attempt at validation that isn't based on rational thought.

To state something as you did is to state it as fact.

Using rational thought, all one can conclude is that there isn't enough evidence either way.

The fact that everything exists IS supernatural, from a certain point of thinking.

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 09:57 - Oct 4 with 617 viewsStokieBlue

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 09:52 - Oct 4 by BrixtonBlue

Again, like Herbi, you're talking as if it's fact. We don't actually know. It always baffles me why religious folk and atheists are so utterly convinced they're correct when there's not enough evidence either way.

I would argue that there is more evidence for the conclusion I put forward than for the existence of a creator which would then possibly imply a reason for life.

Humans are no different to any other form of life - they are all trying to propagate their genes to the next lineage. It's brutal but it's the way of life - as I said, we are lucky that we can enjoy it as well.

Do you think there is a reason to the life of an amoeba or a clownfish?

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 09:58 - Oct 4 with 610 viewsStokieBlue

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 09:57 - Oct 4 by BrixtonBlue

Using rational thought, all one can conclude is that there isn't enough evidence either way.

The fact that everything exists IS supernatural, from a certain point of thinking.

"The fact that everything exists IS supernatural, from a certain point of thinking."

You're going to have to explain that one as I honestly don't know what you mean.

SB

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 10:00 - Oct 4 with 607 viewsfooters

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 09:57 - Oct 4 by StokieBlue

I would argue that there is more evidence for the conclusion I put forward than for the existence of a creator which would then possibly imply a reason for life.

Humans are no different to any other form of life - they are all trying to propagate their genes to the next lineage. It's brutal but it's the way of life - as I said, we are lucky that we can enjoy it as well.

SB

"clownfish"

Of all the examples you could pick, you've done yourself a whoopsie there, SB. Two words: finding Nemo.

Case closed, boffins.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 10:04 - Oct 4 with 602 viewsHerbivore

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 09:57 - Oct 4 by BrixtonBlue

How does one state something as fact or opinion? I'm genuinely curious. Most things people state are opinions since facts are rather bland and usually not worth stating. Your first sentence in the post I'm quoting is an opinion by the way, not a fact.

You're using false equivalence by saying there's not enough evidence on either side to say whether there is a reason or purpose to life. What would even count as evidence, for you, that there is no reason or purpose to life? It's impossible to provide positive evidence to prove a negative. The absence of reason or purpose can't be proved but is the logical default position to take in the absence of any evidence that there is some wider purpose or reason for existence.

I don't agree that everything is supernatural, whatever viewpoint that is from I take issue with because it sounds like a load of mystical nonsense.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 10:06 - Oct 4 with 599 viewsBrixtonBlue

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 09:57 - Oct 4 by StokieBlue

SB

I agree with your first paragraph.

Humans are different in that we're vastly more intelligent than anything else. It's a hell of a leap to the next thing down (Pickles.. then chimps). You could argue being more intelligent isn't an argument for a reason for life, but I'd say that gap does make us stand out. No other creatures can actually ponder their existence, so to them it really is just about survival.

Then again, if all humans were wiped out by a global catastrophe, would that reason also be wiped out?

I think I've just talked myself out of it!

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 10:08 - Oct 4 with 596 viewscaught-in-limbo

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 09:00 - Oct 4 by BackToRussia

Why would the brain be responsible for receiving it and presumably recalling it and not for storing it? If you believe in a soul, why not just say?

I haven't been thinking about souls.

"Why would the brain be responsible for receiving it and presumably recalling it and not for storing it?"

I don't think like that. To me it's a bit like saying "if there's fruit at the green grocers and they sell it, why wouldn't you assume they grow it?"

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 10:12 - Oct 4 with 592 viewseireblue

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 10:06 - Oct 4 by BrixtonBlue

I agree with your first paragraph.

Humans are different in that we're vastly more intelligent than anything else. It's a hell of a leap to the next thing down (Pickles.. then chimps). You could argue being more intelligent isn't an argument for a reason for life, but I'd say that gap does make us stand out. No other creatures can actually ponder their existence, so to them it really is just about survival.

Then again, if all humans were wiped out by a global catastrophe, would that reason also be wiped out?

I think I've just talked myself out of it!

You may find this an interesting read

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2016/mar/06/chimps-more-human-than-we-think
Login to get fewer ads

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 10:12 - Oct 4 with 591 viewscaught-in-limbo

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 09:06 - Oct 4 by BrixtonBlue

Believing memories are received in the brain surely requires a hypothesis? You must have a reason for thinking this or have some evidence that lead you to it?

People believe in all sorts of things without having hypotheses.

People also believe in all sorts of things without considering evidence. Most people take things for granted because other people take those same things for granted. People accept things are so, mainly because they have no reason not to. It's not really a position on which science is founded.

#toxic

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 10:13 - Oct 4 with 588 viewsHerbivore

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 10:08 - Oct 4 by caught-in-limbo

"Why would the brain be responsible for receiving it and presumably recalling it and not for storing it?"

I don't think like that. To me it's a bit like saying "if there's fruit at the green grocers and they sell it, why wouldn't you assume they grow it?"

Don't think you'll be reeling in any more with this one. Lame effort.

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 10:13 - Oct 4 with 590 viewseireblue

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 10:08 - Oct 4 by caught-in-limbo

You may make that assumption.

Then test it.

And realise it was a stupid idea.
How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 10:15 - Oct 4 with 587 viewscaught-in-limbo

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 09:25 - Oct 4 by eireblue

Not wrong to start off with an assumption, it is often a good starting point for proof by Reductio ad absurdum.

However, I must say, gaps in knowledge, and assumptions based on knowledge gaps, are not sufficient to dismiss people that have studied such topics has having “limited” knowledge.

I agree with all of that. Now tell me why my comments (not everyone else's interpretations) in this thread lead you to think I disagree with you.

#toxic

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 10:23 - Oct 4 with 575 viewsBrixtonBlue

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 09:58 - Oct 4 by StokieBlue

"The fact that everything exists IS supernatural, from a certain point of thinking."

You're going to have to explain that one as I honestly don't know what you mean.

SB

It's fantastical, incredible, magical, unexplainable. Going on what we know scientifically the universe shouldn't exist at all. So the fact that it does is, from a certain point of view, supernatural.

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 10:23 - Oct 4 with 569 viewslowhouseblue

so how do you deal with all of the accumulated evidence of a link between brain injury / damage and memory loss? and the way in which damage in particular areas is associated with specific types of memory loss. and the evidence of brain activity in certain areas associated with different types of memory recall?

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 10:24 - Oct 4 with 567 viewsHerbivore

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 10:23 - Oct 4 by BrixtonBlue

It's fantastical, incredible, magical, unexplainable. Going on what we know scientifically the universe shouldn't exist at all. So the fact that it does is, from a certain point of view, supernatural.

It's not really any of those things though. You're imposing those constructs on it. What do you mean that scientifically the universe shouldn't exist?
[Post edited 4 Oct 2019 10:24]

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 10:25 - Oct 4 with 556 viewsHerbivore

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 10:23 - Oct 4 by lowhouseblue

so how do you deal with all of the accumulated evidence of a link between brain injury / damage and memory loss? and the way in which damage in particular areas is associated with specific types of memory loss. and the evidence of brain activity in certain areas associated with different types of memory recall?

I'll field this one. If my TV breaks it doesn't mean that all the old episodes of Have I Got News for You no longer exist. Checkmate.

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 10:27 - Oct 4 with 547 viewslowhouseblue

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 10:25 - Oct 4 by Herbivore

I'll field this one. If my TV breaks it doesn't mean that all the old episodes of Have I Got News for You no longer exist. Checkmate.

but does damage to a specific bit of your tv mean that you lose HIGNFY but nothing else?

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 10:27 - Oct 4 with 547 viewsBrixtonBlue

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 10:12 - Oct 4 by caught-in-limbo

People believe in all sorts of things without having hypotheses.

People also believe in all sorts of things without considering evidence. Most people take things for granted because other people take those same things for granted. People accept things are so, mainly because they have no reason not to. It's not really a position on which science is founded.

That's a massive swerve. Do you have any reasoning for what you believe or not?

If not, then it's something you just made up. In which case it's of very little value other than a flight of fancy.

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 10:28 - Oct 4 with 538 viewsfooters

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 10:27 - Oct 4 by lowhouseblue

but does damage to a specific bit of your tv mean that you lose HIGNFY but nothing else?

Maybe just left with the Angus Deayton series?

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 10:30 - Oct 4 with 525 viewsStokieBlue

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 10:23 - Oct 4 by BrixtonBlue

"Going on what we know scientifically the universe shouldn't exist at all."

This just simply isn't right and thus the rest of the following conclusions aren't right either.

SB

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 10:31 - Oct 4 with 520 viewsBrixtonBlue

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 10:24 - Oct 4 by Herbivore

It's not really any of those things though. You're imposing those constructs on it. What do you mean that scientifically the universe shouldn't exist?
[Post edited 4 Oct 2019 10:24]

It's impossible for us to artificially create lemons, tigers and Cole Skuse starting with nothing.

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 10:32 - Oct 4 with 513 viewsHerbivore

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 10:31 - Oct 4 by BrixtonBlue

It's impossible for us to artificially create lemons, tigers and Cole Skuse starting with nothing.

Right. And?

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 10:34 - Oct 4 with 513 viewsBrixtonBlue

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 10:30 - Oct 4 by StokieBlue

"Going on what we know scientifically the universe shouldn't exist at all."

This just simply isn't right and thus the rest of the following conclusions aren't right either.

SB

I've read 'A Universe From Nothing' as recommended on here (possibly by you) and I'm still not convinced.

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 10:34 - Oct 4 with 511 viewsStokieBlue

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 10:31 - Oct 4 by BrixtonBlue

It's impossible to create anything starting with nothing. It defies the principle of the conversation of mass.

I know that's not what you specifically meant though. I'd argue that we could create all those things once the knowledge is acquired. There is nothing supernatural about a lemon. You are invoking supernatural as a crutch to explain things we don't fully understand or control - this has been the case for millennia.

SB

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 10:35 - Oct 4 with 511 viewsBrixtonBlue

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 10:32 - Oct 4 by Herbivore

Right. And?

Um... you asked what I meant, so I explained it.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024