Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? 11:35 - Oct 2 with 35381 viewsBrixtonBlue

Yes, I'm bored at work.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 09:23 - Oct 3 with 1139 viewsghostofescobar

Seriously, is it not little people in our heads filing everything away? I've yet to see any hard evidence that it isn't.

GhostOfEscobar

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 10:13 - Oct 3 with 1120 viewsBackToRussia

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 16:40 - Oct 2 by caught-in-limbo

I don't assume memories are stored in the brain. I think they are received in the brain for sure, but the idea that the name, character and appearance of Miss Browne is stored as chemicals, electrical charges or a small collection of proteins somewhere in my brain and labelled "primary school teacher" seems unbelievable to me.
[Post edited 2 Oct 2019 16:42]

Where are they stored then?

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 10:28 - Oct 3 with 1115 viewscaught-in-limbo

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 10:13 - Oct 3 by BackToRussia

Where are they stored then?

I don't know. All I said was that I don't assume they're stored in our heads... but they may be.

Old episodes of "Have I got News for You" are not stored in my tele, but someone from the 16th century would assume they were.

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 10:33 - Oct 3 with 1110 viewsStokieBlue

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 10:28 - Oct 3 by caught-in-limbo

I don't know. All I said was that I don't assume they're stored in our heads... but they may be.

Old episodes of "Have I got News for You" are not stored in my tele, but someone from the 16th century would assume they were.

Can I ask why you don't believe the conclusions of experts in the field over a 100 year period of research and experimentation?

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 10:34 - Oct 3 with 1102 viewsBackToRussia

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 10:28 - Oct 3 by caught-in-limbo

It's provable that the brain is responsible for the faculty of memory. People who have damaged their brain lose memory.

Why is the brain being responsible more unbelievable than anything else? It's clearly the more likely place, even if you're a sceptic (for some reason)

TWTD CP. Evans Out.

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 10:46 - Oct 3 with 1097 viewscaught-in-limbo

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 10:34 - Oct 3 by BackToRussia

It's provable that the brain is responsible for the faculty of memory. People who have damaged their brain lose memory.

Why is the brain being responsible more unbelievable than anything else? It's clearly the more likely place, even if you're a sceptic (for some reason)

If I smash up the aerial on my TV, I can't watch that rerun of HIGNFY. Conclusion, that must be where the programme is stored.

#toxic

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 10:49 - Oct 3 with 1091 viewsBackToRussia

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 10:46 - Oct 3 by caught-in-limbo

If I smash up the aerial on my TV, I can't watch that rerun of HIGNFY. Conclusion, that must be where the programme is stored.

Yes, well humans aren't comparable to TVs, so stop being silly.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 10:53 - Oct 3 with 1088 viewsStokieBlue

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 10:46 - Oct 3 by caught-in-limbo

Comparing a technological construct to a evolved biological organism in the way you are is a bit odd.

Why don't you actually put forward your theory rather than always attempting to pick holes and sow the seeds of doubt with regards to hard earned scientific knowledge?

SB

Login to get fewer ads

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 10:53 - Oct 3 with 1087 viewscaught-in-limbo

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 10:33 - Oct 3 by StokieBlue

Can I ask why you don't believe the conclusions of experts in the field over a 100 year period of research and experimentation?

SB

Because the experts aren't very expert when it comes to understand memory. Can they show me where in my brain the memory of the weird smell of the boy who sat next to me in primary school is stored, how it's stored and how I can sometimes reproduce that memory (and the smell) at will?

#toxic

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 10:56 - Oct 3 with 1083 viewsStokieBlue

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 10:53 - Oct 3 by caught-in-limbo

Because the experts aren't very expert when it comes to understand memory. Can they show me where in my brain the memory of the weird smell of the boy who sat next to me in primary school is stored, how it's stored and how I can sometimes reproduce that memory (and the smell) at will?

You're asking for something you know they can't do. You would need some form of interpreter in order to scan precise memories. It's also not relevant when discussing how the brain stores memories. If I asked you the same question but with regards to a hard-disk you wouldn't be able to show the data either without an interpreter even though it's provably there.

What they can do is explain how they are stored in the general case and how they are accessed in the general case.

You are contributing to the erosion of trust in science and experts.

SB
[Post edited 3 Oct 2019 11:01]

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 10:57 - Oct 3 with 1078 viewsBackToRussia

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 10:53 - Oct 3 by caught-in-limbo

Yes, I reckon they can. It's not a very exciting answer, it's just another area of the brain. It probably works with other parts of the brain to reproduce the image in a visual sense, similar to imagining something that might happen in the future.

Our memory isn't actually that reliable and seems to literally re produce memories each time we recall them.

Still, love to hear your hypothesis, unlike you to give a mere shrug of the shoulders.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 11:01 - Oct 3 with 1071 viewscaught-in-limbo

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 10:53 - Oct 3 by StokieBlue

Comparing a technological construct to a evolved biological organism in the way you are is a bit odd.

Why don't you actually put forward your theory rather than always attempting to pick holes and sow the seeds of doubt with regards to hard earned scientific knowledge?

SB

I don't need a theory of my own in order not to automatically accept the very limited understanding of the brain known by experts.

I know you want me to, but I generally form my own opinions based on my own experiences, wide reading and culture than just automatically accepting the word of "experts" whose knowledge on this topic is very limited. In this case, I don't have a theory of my own, yet.

#toxic

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 11:03 - Oct 3 with 1063 viewsBackToRussia

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 11:01 - Oct 3 by caught-in-limbo

I don't need a theory of my own in order not to automatically accept the very limited understanding of the brain known by experts.

I know you want me to, but I generally form my own opinions based on my own experiences, wide reading and culture than just automatically accepting the word of "experts" whose knowledge on this topic is very limited. In this case, I don't have a theory of my own, yet.

Just interested to hear, but you've got nothing. Fair enough.

Still, make sure you wear a helmet when cycling eh.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 11:05 - Oct 3 with 1063 viewseireblue

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 11:01 - Oct 3 by caught-in-limbo

Ahhh, you mean confirmation bias.
How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 11:05 - Oct 3 with 1061 viewscaught-in-limbo

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 10:56 - Oct 3 by StokieBlue

You're asking for something you know they can't do. You would need some form of interpreter in order to scan precise memories. It's also not relevant when discussing how the brain stores memories. If I asked you the same question but with regards to a hard-disk you wouldn't be able to show the data either without an interpreter even though it's provably there.

What they can do is explain how they are stored in the general case and how they are accessed in the general case.

You are contributing to the erosion of trust in science and experts.

SB
[Post edited 3 Oct 2019 11:01]

"You are contributing to the erosion of trust in science and experts."

Pppffffft! LOL. Then lock me up in your little authoritarian prison cell then!

You are contributing to the erosion of others to freely express or withhold their opinions.
[Post edited 3 Oct 2019 12:04]

#toxic

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 11:08 - Oct 3 with 1058 viewsStokieBlue

Their knowledge is limited in your opinion but still vastly larger than yours on the subject. Given this it's strange to me that you dismiss their knowledge and instead go with your own "experiences".

If you have a plumber round do you ignore they advice and just give it a go yourself based on your own experiences?

As for not having a theory - perhaps it's best not to go around dismissing the theories of experts in the fields if you don't have anything to contribute yourself.

SB

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 11:09 - Oct 3 with 1056 viewsStokieBlue

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 11:05 - Oct 3 by caught-in-limbo

You are contributing to the erosion of others to freely express or withhold their opinions.

Pathetic.

You also didn't bother tackling any of the points in the post.

SB
[Post edited 3 Oct 2019 11:13]

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 11:18 - Oct 3 with 1046 viewsfooters

Has this thread answered your question, Dolly?

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 11:36 - Oct 3 with 1033 viewseireblue

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 11:05 - Oct 3 by caught-in-limbo

I don’t see anyone stopping you from talking nonsense.

All you have really stated today is, I don’t understand how brains work.

That is perfectly fine, it is okay to be ignorant on a topic.

But from your ignorance, you have assumed that experts that are widely read and study such topics, are somewhat lacking in their expertise.

You should probably read more widely about evolution, and consider how an external brain store could have developed, versus an in-brain memory.
How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 11:38 - Oct 3 with 1030 viewsBrixtonBlue

Surely we have to rely on experts to a certain extent? Unless we have the capability to study brains ourselves. It makes more sense than just making up wild fantasies?

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 11:40 - Oct 3 with 1027 viewschicoazul

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 11:18 - Oct 3 by footers

All I know is I wish I had total recall of that time Rachel blew me out the back of the Welcome Sailor in 1993. Once the experts can do that let me know. Total recall, not the blowing me part.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 11:40 - Oct 3 with 1025 viewsBrixtonBlue

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 11:18 - Oct 3 by footers

Yes. It has been most enlightening!

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 11:43 - Oct 3 with 1016 viewsfooters

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 11:40 - Oct 3 by BrixtonBlue

Yes. It has been most enlightening!

I think it's answered mine, too, but I can't remember.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 11:45 - Oct 3 with 1013 viewslowhouseblue

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 11:38 - Oct 3 by BrixtonBlue

Surely we have to rely on experts to a certain extent? Unless we have the capability to study brains ourselves. It makes more sense than just making up wild fantasies?

experts? pah. it's not like it's rocket science.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 11:59 - Oct 3 with 987 viewseireblue

How the bloody hell are memories stored in our heads? on 11:45 - Oct 3 by lowhouseblue

experts? pah. it's not like it's rocket science.

Well as soon as you understand that Gravity was only a Theory to Newton and Eisenstein had his own little theory, really, rocket science is just a matter of opinion.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024