Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The whole Brexit debacle has really magnified people 14:48 - Oct 30 with 8577 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

I've got to be honest and say 3 years ago I was perplexed by people that wanted to leave the EU because we had nowhere near enough information to make that decision in my view, but on the basis we didn't know either way what would happen, I fully respected that people had their own opinion based on this and that they were entitled to it.

What I have found the most depressing about Brexit at the moment is just how much damage it's done to my relationships with people and those of others I know. There are people I worked with for years, people I was good friends with and you only go so deep into their minds, chatting about football, TV shows, partners and so on, until this came along.

There are people now I literally avoid. I have lost all respect for them. I cannot fathom how they work. What I thought were decent people that believe without irony that we should be allowed to move to Spain but that a Romanian guy can't come over here for a better life. People that think Boris Johnson is a legend because he tells it like it is and will champion him for promising to put 30,000 police officers on the street if he's already taken 100,000 away and so on.

Anyone else had this? There are people that have proven to be so deluded, biggotted, racist or utterly clueless than have as much say as the rest of us and it's so depressing. Even people in my own family that I am just about civil with now because they have such mental views.

I don't care if someone has a different opinion and they may well know better than me if they've properly considered the same but so many people I deemed normal have come out of the last three years as completely horrible people.

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

The whole Brexit debacle has really magnified people on 22:40 - Oct 30 with 1477 viewsjeera

The whole Brexit debacle has really magnified people on 16:20 - Oct 30 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

They’ve played on it without doubt but removing the Tories from power won’t change things - other parties are just as bad (see Labour ‘red Tories’ or all Tories are evil type comments) and social media will continue to fuel the cycle, unfortunately

To be fair though, some stereotypes are earned.
[Post edited 30 Oct 2019 22:40]

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

The whole Brexit debacle has really magnified people on 23:24 - Oct 30 with 1450 viewsfactual_blue

The whole Brexit debacle has really magnified people on 21:27 - Oct 30 by BlueBadger

We get told to do by unelected Americans, Chinese and corporations rather than elected people from across 27 countries, including our own.

Yes, but those 27 countries ARE FULL OF FOREIGNERS

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

The whole Brexit debacle has really magnified people on 02:46 - Oct 31 with 1437 viewstextbackup

I can hand on heart say the B word hasn't ever come up in conversation with me and my mates, why, because who wants to sit there talking about this sht, when we could be having a laugh.

I've seen drips at work in deep discussion over B, watch you lot on here argue the toss over it, and why? nothing you lot do or say will change what happens.

life is too short.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

The whole Brexit debacle has really magnified people on 05:47 - Oct 31 with 1405 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

The whole Brexit debacle has really magnified people on 22:24 - Oct 30 by Swansea_Blue

You’re lucky. The 7 months I had out in the States at the start of this nonsense was bliss. I know the states have their own wreckers in power, but we were pretty much immune to any debates around any of that.

Brexit is defining everything- personal relationships, planning for any public body and many companies, financial decisions, and obviously dominating the news and putting many other things on the back burner. It’s ridiculous.

With the exception of some planning at work, I can honestly say I don’t think Brexit has had any real impact on my day to day life. It occasionally comes up in conversation and there are some different views but I can’t recall ever getting in a long drawn out discussion* or hating anyone as a result**

*IRL, TWTD is an exception
**Actually I did remove one person on FB for pedding a load of far right propaganda, but that was someone from school I wouldn’t actually have said to be friends with in the first place anyway

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

The whole Brexit debacle has really magnified people on 05:49 - Oct 31 with 1400 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

The whole Brexit debacle has really magnified people on 16:55 - Oct 30 by WarkTheWarkITFC

I thought that the majority of people (95%) in this country were decent people who wanted to give their families the best possible life, didn't want to see anybody suffer, believed in live and let live, saw foreigners, the poorer members of society and anyone different from the 'norm' as also being decent people in the majority and so on.

But the whole Brexit farce has made me realise that it's more like 60% and that the other 40% range anywhere from slightly racist to full out racist, being happy to see others suffer as long as they are alright or who would rather their 'team' wins and we all suffer for it than admit they may have been wrong.

Absolutely mental and so depressing.

40% of the country aren’t racists, you massive over exaggerating fanny

Fairly obvious from this thread that you’re a massive part of the problem

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

The whole Brexit debacle has really magnified people on 07:08 - Oct 31 with 1375 viewsBlueAsTory

The whole Brexit debacle has really magnified people on 15:00 - Oct 30 by itfcjoe

This is what the Tory party have done to this country over the last few years - this is just one of their legacies left.

The people that launched this divide strategy, and pitted people against other people as part of the Brexit debate (VoteLeave) are now our PM's strategy win.

Getting the Tories out in the upcoming election is so important for the country

Who would you kick them out and replace with Corbyn?
The whole Brexit debacle has really magnified people on 07:24 - Oct 31 with 1360 viewsitfcjoe

The whole Brexit debacle has really magnified people on 07:08 - Oct 31 by BlueAsTory

Who would you kick them out and replace with Corbyn?

Yes, not a massive Corbyn fan but Tories have done far too much damage over last 9 years and it’s time for a change.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

The whole Brexit debacle has really magnified people on 07:30 - Oct 31 with 1354 viewsBlueAsTory

The whole Brexit debacle has really magnified people on 07:24 - Oct 31 by itfcjoe

Yes, not a massive Corbyn fan but Tories have done far too much damage over last 9 years and it’s time for a change.

So you will accept Corbyn costing us over £150 billion for his re nationalisation project?
Login to get fewer ads

The whole Brexit debacle has really magnified people on 07:40 - Oct 31 with 1352 viewsitfcjoe

The whole Brexit debacle has really magnified people on 07:30 - Oct 31 by BlueAsTory

So you will accept Corbyn costing us over £150 billion for his re nationalisation project?

What is Johnson’s Brexit deal costing? 3-4% of GDP, per year, for nothing?

The whole Brexit debacle has really magnified people on 08:19 - Oct 31 with 1324 viewsGlasgowBlue

The whole Brexit debacle has really magnified people on 07:40 - Oct 31 by itfcjoe

What is Johnson’s Brexit deal costing? 3-4% of GDP, per year, for nothing?

Most forecasts are saying 4% over ten years*. Not 4% each year.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/oct/30/boris-johnsons-brexit-deal-woul

Where are you getting your info from these days? A lot of your posts seem to have the same tone and hyperbole as stuff I’ve seen in Facebook a lot recently.

*this isn’t support for Johnson’s deal. Just presenting the facts.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

The whole Brexit debacle has really magnified people on 08:38 - Oct 31 with 1308 viewsitfcjoe

The whole Brexit debacle has really magnified people on 08:19 - Oct 31 by GlasgowBlue

Most forecasts are saying 4% over ten years*. Not 4% each year.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/oct/30/boris-johnsons-brexit-deal-woul

Where are you getting your info from these days? A lot of your posts seem to have the same tone and hyperbole as stuff I’ve seen in Facebook a lot recently.

*this isn’t support for Johnson’s deal. Just presenting the facts.

Can I see some evidence of hyperbolic posts? I did also put a question mark at end of that - id read somewhere yesterday that this deal will effectively cut the GDP by the equivalent of the economy of Wales

Edit - just a misread from here
https://www.politico.eu/article/brexit-deal-would-leave-wales-sized-hole-in-uk-e
[Post edited 31 Oct 2019 8:40]

The whole Brexit debacle has really magnified people on 09:44 - Oct 31 with 1272 viewsOldsmoker

The whole Brexit debacle has really magnified people on 16:55 - Oct 30 by WarkTheWarkITFC

I thought that the majority of people (95%) in this country were decent people who wanted to give their families the best possible life, didn't want to see anybody suffer, believed in live and let live, saw foreigners, the poorer members of society and anyone different from the 'norm' as also being decent people in the majority and so on.

But the whole Brexit farce has made me realise that it's more like 60% and that the other 40% range anywhere from slightly racist to full out racist, being happy to see others suffer as long as they are alright or who would rather their 'team' wins and we all suffer for it than admit they may have been wrong.

Absolutely mental and so depressing.

"being happy to see others suffer as long as they are alright"

Ever watched "You've been Framed"
There are a lot of clips that show people getting seriously hurt and everyone sits on their sofa laughing at them.
If they said that one of the unfortunates had died from their injuries then there would be uproar that that was shown on TV.
I think that backs up your point.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

The whole Brexit debacle has really magnified people on 09:52 - Oct 31 with 1262 viewschicoazul

British Exceptionalism is the great lie of our time and it infects individuals across all races and classes, right down to people posting on football message boards about how inferior other British people's opinions are.
The sooner people accept our country is not influential or important and is in fact a stupid little country propped up by debt and tourism, and the sooner people accept this in fact applies to them and their opinions too and I include myself in that, the better.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

The whole Brexit debacle has really magnified people on 10:15 - Oct 31 with 1247 viewsNo9

The whole Brexit debacle has really magnified people on 15:37 - Oct 30 by lowhouseblue

the combination of the brexit debate and farce that has beset the labour party has completely changed my view of the political process (note the process not the outcomes i would like to see). i now see dishonesty, weasel words and agenda driven spin everywhere I look. i've stopped believing anything that has been confirmed by at least 2 sources who hold diametrically opposed views . it's all very depressing at present.

It has taken you a long while to come to that conclusion maybe it is because you haave, for a long while, been one of the type you are now criticising?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024