Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The whole Brexit debacle has really magnified people 14:48 - Oct 30 with 8578 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

I've got to be honest and say 3 years ago I was perplexed by people that wanted to leave the EU because we had nowhere near enough information to make that decision in my view, but on the basis we didn't know either way what would happen, I fully respected that people had their own opinion based on this and that they were entitled to it.

What I have found the most depressing about Brexit at the moment is just how much damage it's done to my relationships with people and those of others I know. There are people I worked with for years, people I was good friends with and you only go so deep into their minds, chatting about football, TV shows, partners and so on, until this came along.

There are people now I literally avoid. I have lost all respect for them. I cannot fathom how they work. What I thought were decent people that believe without irony that we should be allowed to move to Spain but that a Romanian guy can't come over here for a better life. People that think Boris Johnson is a legend because he tells it like it is and will champion him for promising to put 30,000 police officers on the street if he's already taken 100,000 away and so on.

Anyone else had this? There are people that have proven to be so deluded, biggotted, racist or utterly clueless than have as much say as the rest of us and it's so depressing. Even people in my own family that I am just about civil with now because they have such mental views.

I don't care if someone has a different opinion and they may well know better than me if they've properly considered the same but so many people I deemed normal have come out of the last three years as completely horrible people.

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

The whole Brexit debacle has really magnified people on 16:23 - Oct 30 with 3360 viewstractordownsouth

The whole Brexit debacle has really magnified people on 15:00 - Oct 30 by itfcjoe

This is what the Tory party have done to this country over the last few years - this is just one of their legacies left.

The people that launched this divide strategy, and pitted people against other people as part of the Brexit debate (VoteLeave) are now our PM's strategy win.

Getting the Tories out in the upcoming election is so important for the country

Divide and rule has always been the Tory policy. Leavers v Remainers, UK nationals v immigrants etc, the employed v the unemployed.

It’s all a tactic to deflect blame from the greed that got the country into this mess in the first place.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

The whole Brexit debacle has really magnified people on 16:24 - Oct 30 with 3359 viewsitfcjoe

The whole Brexit debacle has really magnified people on 16:20 - Oct 30 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

They’ve played on it without doubt but removing the Tories from power won’t change things - other parties are just as bad (see Labour ‘red Tories’ or all Tories are evil type comments) and social media will continue to fuel the cycle, unfortunately

But the strategists running the Govt are literally the ones who pushed this and made this more of a thing on Social Media with the FB advertising.

Have you watched the Cambridge Analytica documentary on Netflix.

labours internal squabbling and attitudes from Momentum side aren't the same as literal targetted advertising to swing voters and bots etc from Russia coming at people spreading fake news

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

The whole Brexit debacle has really magnified people on 16:24 - Oct 30 with 3365 viewsflimflam

I work in a large office of various genders and nationalities and we openly discuss brexit and we have hard / soft leavers and remainers sitting in close proximity.

We are all still friends as far as I can make out and we respect others opinions even if we disagree.

Would be boring if everyone thought the same.
[Post edited 30 Oct 2019 16:27]

All men and women are created, by the, you know the, you know the thing.

The whole Brexit debacle has really magnified people on 16:24 - Oct 30 with 3359 viewsSpruceMoose

The whole Brexit debacle has really magnified people on 16:18 - Oct 30 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

And it’s that exact attitude that is causing said divide

All that said I think social media is the bigger cause rather than just Brexit or a particular political party, the foundations were already in place long before the referendum was even a thing

I heartily disagree with your first point. I think you have things arse about face there.

Second point is reasonable.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

The whole Brexit debacle has really magnified people on 16:31 - Oct 30 with 3334 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

The whole Brexit debacle has really magnified people on 16:24 - Oct 30 by itfcjoe

But the strategists running the Govt are literally the ones who pushed this and made this more of a thing on Social Media with the FB advertising.

Have you watched the Cambridge Analytica documentary on Netflix.

labours internal squabbling and attitudes from Momentum side aren't the same as literal targetted advertising to swing voters and bots etc from Russia coming at people spreading fake news

Been meaning to watch that but haven’t got round to it

I might be missing the point a bit but seems pretty clear that all sides are doing it it is just done in different ways - and much wider than just political parties too

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

The whole Brexit debacle has really magnified people on 16:32 - Oct 30 with 3333 viewsyorkshire

Daft thing is that before the whole Brexit thing most people didn't really give a toss. The UKIPers were all pretty much closet racists with a very nationalistic viewpoint - they prayed on people's misery the same way that all Nationalist/Fascist parties have in the past - by blaming it on foreigners
But your average household wasn't really that bothered - now it is 24/7 and now we all seem to be have to pick a side
[Post edited 30 Oct 2019 16:46]
The whole Brexit debacle has really magnified people on 16:33 - Oct 30 with 3323 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

The whole Brexit debacle has really magnified people on 16:24 - Oct 30 by SpruceMoose

I heartily disagree with your first point. I think you have things arse about face there.

Second point is reasonable.

You’re advocating hating someone as they hold a different viewpoint to you - I don’t know how you can’t see that that itself is divisive

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

The whole Brexit debacle has really magnified people on 16:37 - Oct 30 with 3310 viewsSpruceMoose

The whole Brexit debacle has really magnified people on 16:33 - Oct 30 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

You’re advocating hating someone as they hold a different viewpoint to you - I don’t know how you can’t see that that itself is divisive

Not at all. You're having a comprehension failure. I'm advocating nothing.

You're saying that attitude led to the divide. I'm saying the divide leads to and perpetuates that attitude.
[Post edited 30 Oct 2019 16:39]

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

Login to get fewer ads

The whole Brexit debacle has really magnified people on 16:45 - Oct 30 with 3299 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

The whole Brexit debacle has really magnified people on 15:11 - Oct 30 by J2BLUE

Can you not just talk about the subjects you used to talk about? While the Spain/Romania point is silly it's hardly so sickening that you can never talk to them again.

It's hardly that simple.

It's when people that you used to have a beer with and thought were decent, bright people, start going on about numerous points that make them look completely laughable, you just lose all respect for them.

People that repeatedly state they should be able to go abroad to make a better life for themselves, whilst Ilie from Bucharest should be sent back there, because he's not entitled to do the same. When they have plenty of these views over three years, eventually you just can't be bothered to have relationships with them anymore.

The whole Brexit debacle has really magnified people on 16:50 - Oct 30 with 3283 viewsSpruceMoose

The whole Brexit debacle has really magnified people on 16:45 - Oct 30 by WarkTheWarkITFC

It's hardly that simple.

It's when people that you used to have a beer with and thought were decent, bright people, start going on about numerous points that make them look completely laughable, you just lose all respect for them.

People that repeatedly state they should be able to go abroad to make a better life for themselves, whilst Ilie from Bucharest should be sent back there, because he's not entitled to do the same. When they have plenty of these views over three years, eventually you just can't be bothered to have relationships with them anymore.

Indeed. Like I said above. It's the realisation that there is a genuine divide between your own worldview and that of your friends and loved ones which fuels the feelings of alienation from one another, and eventually leads to animosity.

The idea that random acts of animosity caused people to develop divergent worldviews displays a rather basic understanding of the situation to my mind.
[Post edited 30 Oct 2019 16:50]

The whole Brexit debacle has really magnified people on 16:55 - Oct 30 with 3275 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

The whole Brexit debacle has really magnified people on 16:50 - Oct 30 by SpruceMoose

Indeed. Like I said above. It's the realisation that there is a genuine divide between your own worldview and that of your friends and loved ones which fuels the feelings of alienation from one another, and eventually leads to animosity.

The idea that random acts of animosity caused people to develop divergent worldviews displays a rather basic understanding of the situation to my mind.
[Post edited 30 Oct 2019 16:50]

I thought that the majority of people (95%) in this country were decent people who wanted to give their families the best possible life, didn't want to see anybody suffer, believed in live and let live, saw foreigners, the poorer members of society and anyone different from the 'norm' as also being decent people in the majority and so on.

But the whole Brexit farce has made me realise that it's more like 60% and that the other 40% range anywhere from slightly racist to full out racist, being happy to see others suffer as long as they are alright or who would rather their 'team' wins and we all suffer for it than admit they may have been wrong.

Absolutely mental and so depressing.

The whole Brexit debacle has really magnified people on 17:40 - Oct 30 with 3236 viewsChurchman

No, I haven’t found that. The majority of my friends are ‘Leave’ for all sorts of different reasons and as a just about Remainer I’ve had a many a lively and interesting discussion with them without the disrespect from a few posters of other people and their views seen on this board sometimes.

One of the biggest problems is the lack of hard information out there and misinformation peddled by politicians and journalists with vested interests.
The whole Brexit debacle has really magnified people on 18:08 - Oct 30 with 3210 viewsIllinoisblue

I still don't understand what benefit there is to leaving. Talk of "taking back control", what does that even mean?

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

The whole Brexit debacle has really magnified people on 18:11 - Oct 30 with 3207 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

The whole Brexit debacle has really magnified people on 16:55 - Oct 30 by WarkTheWarkITFC

I thought that the majority of people (95%) in this country were decent people who wanted to give their families the best possible life, didn't want to see anybody suffer, believed in live and let live, saw foreigners, the poorer members of society and anyone different from the 'norm' as also being decent people in the majority and so on.

But the whole Brexit farce has made me realise that it's more like 60% and that the other 40% range anywhere from slightly racist to full out racist, being happy to see others suffer as long as they are alright or who would rather their 'team' wins and we all suffer for it than admit they may have been wrong.

Absolutely mental and so depressing.

Having attended Huddersfield Polytechnic during the miners strike with supposedly educated, inquisitive folk I have been under no illusion that 90% of that particular demographic are self serving w@nkers who have been asserting their w@nkiness in various well paid rôle ever since.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

The whole Brexit debacle has really magnified people on 18:14 - Oct 30 with 3209 viewsFixed_It

The whole Brexit debacle has really magnified people on 18:08 - Oct 30 by Illinoisblue

I still don't understand what benefit there is to leaving. Talk of "taking back control", what does that even mean?

What really annoys me is when you try to have a healthy debate and challenge their views, they just quote 'project fear' or 'fake news' to put an end to any such discussion.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

The whole Brexit debacle has really magnified people on 18:18 - Oct 30 with 3196 viewsitfcjoe

The whole Brexit debacle has really magnified people on 18:08 - Oct 30 by Illinoisblue

It means as much as ‘build the wall’ or some other inane Trump rubbish

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

The whole Brexit debacle has really magnified people on 18:29 - Oct 30 with 3181 viewsNthsuffolkblue

The whole Brexit debacle has really magnified people on 15:00 - Oct 30 by itfcjoe

This is what the Tory party have done to this country over the last few years - this is just one of their legacies left.

The people that launched this divide strategy, and pitted people against other people as part of the Brexit debate (VoteLeave) are now our PM's strategy win.

Getting the Tories out in the upcoming election is so important for the country

What I don't get is the depth of feeling on here and the vast majority who post and upvote seem clear on how disgraceful this all is. There are some with different views, I accept and some of them can hold a rational argument. But I don't get how this forum seems to be so different to the general electorate that almost certainly will return some sort of Tory government to continue the procrastination and impasse they have presided over for the past 3 years.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

The whole Brexit debacle has really magnified people on 18:41 - Oct 30 with 3172 viewsnoggin

I'm seriously so glad I left the UK when I did. The working class have been brainwashed into blaming their struggles on anyone but the politicians who have removed food from their children's mouths.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

The whole Brexit debacle has really magnified people on 18:41 - Oct 30 with 3172 viewseireblue

Tut tut.

What it means is that the un-elected officials that decide on the fire regulations for furnishings are civil servants, that could be a GB or EEA national, but working in the UK, rather than a GB or EEA national working in GB or somewhere in the EU.

How can you not get emotional about that.
The whole Brexit debacle has really magnified people on 18:43 - Oct 30 with 3164 viewsnoggin

Something about winning the war and The Jungle in Calais?

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

The whole Brexit debacle has really magnified people on 21:27 - Oct 30 with 3090 viewsBlueBadger

We get told to do by unelected Americans, Chinese and corporations rather than elected people from across 27 countries, including our own.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

The whole Brexit debacle has really magnified people on 21:28 - Oct 30 with 3089 viewsBlueBadger

The whole Brexit debacle has really magnified people on 18:14 - Oct 30 by Fixed_It

What really annoys me is when you try to have a healthy debate and challenge their views, they just quote 'project fear' or 'fake news' to put an end to any such discussion.

Genuinely had someone tell me I was was 'speculating' when I linked him to the government's own 'this is what you should do' website.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

The whole Brexit debacle has really magnified people on 22:04 - Oct 30 with 3064 viewsSwansea_Blue

The whole Brexit debacle has really magnified people on 15:04 - Oct 30 by UB9Blue

It is fair to say that the whole Brexit situation has been very divisive and is a subject best avoided when talking to friends with different views.

What troubles me is the petty name calling and accusations made by both sides.

I voted leave on the basis that the EU has not signed off accounts for circa 26 years whereas my business is fined if I miss a deadline by an hour. My vote had nothing to do with immigration but on the financial mismanagement of funds and the absurd amount of money wasted on having two parliaments, guaranteed expenses without receipts etc etc.

Whether my view or anyone else's are made rationally or not is open to debate as we can only make assumptions on the information we have been given.

Should we have no a vote....probably not as the carnage that has ensued has turned friends and family against each other. The fact remains Cameron put the idea forward and both Labour and Lib Dem's agreed it should happen. Sadly for most politicians they didn't get the response they were expecting.

Unfortunately you voted on a lie as their accounts are audited (which was known at the time). Plus the EU is vastly more efficient/cheaper than our own layers of governance and bureaucracy. I’m sure there’s some waste though, as there is in any large body.

But you probably didn’t realise - why would you? Why would anyone know these things? We believe what we’re repeatedly told by people in positions of authority (e.g. MPs) or influenced by stuff we regularly see in the press.

Hopefully that’s changing now and people are quicker to challenge and check claims made by people who are set to profit from spreading lies.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

The whole Brexit debacle has really magnified people on 22:16 - Oct 30 with 3048 viewsSwansea_Blue

The whole Brexit debacle has really magnified people on 16:32 - Oct 30 by yorkshire

Daft thing is that before the whole Brexit thing most people didn't really give a toss. The UKIPers were all pretty much closet racists with a very nationalistic viewpoint - they prayed on people's misery the same way that all Nationalist/Fascist parties have in the past - by blaming it on foreigners
But your average household wasn't really that bothered - now it is 24/7 and now we all seem to be have to pick a side
[Post edited 30 Oct 2019 16:46]

Yep, that’s what I still can’t get my head around. My old fella’s turned into a rabid Brexiteer; I’d never heard him mention the EU prior to all this. Now he’s absolutely convinced we have to leave because... [insert latest Daily Mail/Express bullsh*t here]. And will defend that view (which isn’t his) with a passion.

Which brings us nicely back to the OP, as I can barely talk to him any more.

The whole Brexit debacle has really magnified people on 22:24 - Oct 30 with 3043 viewsSwansea_Blue

The whole Brexit debacle has really magnified people on 18:41 - Oct 30 by noggin

I'm seriously so glad I left the UK when I did. The working class have been brainwashed into blaming their struggles on anyone but the politicians who have removed food from their children's mouths.

You’re lucky. The 7 months I had out in the States at the start of this nonsense was bliss. I know the states have their own wreckers in power, but we were pretty much immune to any debates around any of that.

Brexit is defining everything- personal relationships, planning for any public body and many companies, financial decisions, and obviously dominating the news and putting many other things on the back burner. It’s ridiculous.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024