Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Labour Party 22:54 - Dec 13 with 3541 viewsvapour_trail

Not my default go to option but I have voted for them at times.

Their next move is important. The runners and riders look suspect.

Rayner, Thornberry and Long Lewis are loose cannons. Starmer has huge intellect but not sure he takes the four nations with him.

Must be Jess Phillips.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Labour Party on 10:58 - Dec 14 with 741 viewsBackToRussia

Labour Party on 08:33 - Dec 14 by gordon

In the olden days, it wasn't just that working-class people looked to the Labour Party to represent them - it was that Labour politicians admired and respected the working-classes. The current momentum lot is basically disgusted by them. And yet still expects their vote.

Where on earth have you got the idea Momentum is disgusted by the working class?

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

Labour Party on 11:57 - Dec 15 with 678 viewsTrequartista

Lisa Nandy

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Labour Party on 12:02 - Dec 15 with 678 viewspointofblue

Labour Party on 11:57 - Dec 15 by Trequartista

Lisa Nandy

Think she would be a good option. Yvette Cooper would be my choice but she’s a remnant of the Blairite days so won’t have a chance.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Labour Party on 12:18 - Dec 15 with 672 viewsTrequartista

Labour Party on 12:02 - Dec 15 by pointofblue

Think she would be a good option. Yvette Cooper would be my choice but she’s a remnant of the Blairite days so won’t have a chance.

I wouldn't want to hark back to the likes of Cooper or Kendall, I think the electorate rejected that in 2010, Nandy can bring the working class vote back and she speaks very well, the calmness reminds me of Nicola Sturgeon a bit.
[Post edited 15 Dec 2019 12:18]

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Labour Party on 07:51 - Dec 16 with 611 viewsGlasgowBlue

I’m a big fan of Jess Phillips and I’ve said that I’d be comfortable voting for a Jess Phillips lead Labour Party. However, if Labour go down the soft left route then I think Lisa Nandy would be better suited for the role.

Jess Phillips is a fantastic constituency MP and a wonderful campaigner for womens rights but she dies tend to wear her heart on her sleeve which could be a disadvantage for a party leader.

I’ve also followed both Jess and Lisa Nandy on Twitter for sone time and Jess can be a little too me, me me at times whereas Nandy is less self indulgent.

Jess Phillips or Lisa Nandy would be very fresh and apeal to the working class voters that Labour just lost. However, if they want somebody with gravitas who I’ll hold Johnson to account every week at PMQ’s then they should look no further than Yvette Cooper.
[Post edited 16 Dec 2019 8:33]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Labour Party on 08:32 - Dec 16 with 591 viewsitfcjoe

I think you need a joint ticket - Starmer to be able to pin Johnson and the Tories down on the detail, because you need someone super intelligent, super detailed to do this - and that basically is Sir Keir.

But with a Northerner, preferably woman, alongside - Jess Phillips, maybe Lisa Nandy? Pidcock and Long-Bailey are the other options (if they can get Pidcock back in somewhere) but RLB doesn't fill me with much confidence

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Labour Party on 08:36 - Dec 16 with 587 viewsGlasgowBlue

Labour Party on 08:32 - Dec 16 by itfcjoe

I think you need a joint ticket - Starmer to be able to pin Johnson and the Tories down on the detail, because you need someone super intelligent, super detailed to do this - and that basically is Sir Keir.

But with a Northerner, preferably woman, alongside - Jess Phillips, maybe Lisa Nandy? Pidcock and Long-Bailey are the other options (if they can get Pidcock back in somewhere) but RLB doesn't fill me with much confidence

Pidcock. Yes, if you want another twenty years of Tory government.

Iron Lion Zion

Labour Party on 08:38 - Dec 16 with 584 viewsitfcjoe

Labour Party on 08:36 - Dec 16 by GlasgowBlue

Pidcock. Yes, if you want another twenty years of Tory government.

She's not an MP anyway so won't be happening now.

I like Phillips, but in my uni course at the moment I'm studying about politics in the work place with regards to Bulls, Foxes, Owls and Sheep on the political vs integrity spectrum - Phillips strikes me as the bull and that personality type can't be the leader for me.

She may be a bit too Northern/Working Class - she'll connect with some and lose others.

Login to get fewer ads

Labour Party on 12:06 - Dec 16 with 539 viewsgordon

Labour Party on 10:58 - Dec 14 by BackToRussia

Where on earth have you got the idea Momentum is disgusted by the working class?

Not sure who does and doesn't qualify as Momentum, but there's loads of stuff on social media from London based Labour activist types reporting back from their trips out into the hinterlands. Sounds like Thornberry summarised their attitudes nicely.
Labour Party on 12:08 - Dec 16 with 533 viewschicoazul

If only Labour had some sort of template of proven electoral success they could look to for inspiration.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Labour Party on 12:11 - Dec 16 with 531 viewsgordon

Labour Party on 07:51 - Dec 16 by GlasgowBlue

I’m a big fan of Jess Phillips and I’ve said that I’d be comfortable voting for a Jess Phillips lead Labour Party. However, if Labour go down the soft left route then I think Lisa Nandy would be better suited for the role.

Jess Phillips is a fantastic constituency MP and a wonderful campaigner for womens rights but she dies tend to wear her heart on her sleeve which could be a disadvantage for a party leader.

I’ve also followed both Jess and Lisa Nandy on Twitter for sone time and Jess can be a little too me, me me at times whereas Nandy is less self indulgent.

Jess Phillips or Lisa Nandy would be very fresh and apeal to the working class voters that Labour just lost. However, if they want somebody with gravitas who I’ll hold Johnson to account every week at PMQ’s then they should look no further than Yvette Cooper.

To be honest, I don't have much time for much that you write on here, but I'd vote for Jess Phillips in a flash too. The idea that sh'es too 'emotional' to be party leader is male-chauvinist b*llocks as far as I can see.

I think a really important thing for the Labour party at the moment is just to get their best people into really prominent positions - Clive Lewis, Jess Phillips, Lisa Nandy, Keir Starmer, Yvette Cooper, Hilary Benn, Angela Rayner.
Labour Party on 12:22 - Dec 16 with 518 viewsGunnsAirkick

Rayner for me, she has balls and a very good 'back story' (now we're moving towards a more 'Presidential' format, I think it's important). I'm not sure about Phillips or Cooper as they'll be tainted with the 'Remainer' tag.

I'm going to consider all options though before making any decision, this is so important. If you're on the left of the party, I implore you to not automaticaly just select the Momentum ticket without considering all the candidates (the thought of Burgon as leader or even deputy is beyond laughable and will see Johnson in charge for ten years).
Labour Party on 12:34 - Dec 16 with 507 viewsGlasgowBlue

Labour Party on 12:11 - Dec 16 by gordon

To be honest, I don't have much time for much that you write on here, but I'd vote for Jess Phillips in a flash too. The idea that sh'es too 'emotional' to be party leader is male-chauvinist b*llocks as far as I can see.

I think a really important thing for the Labour party at the moment is just to get their best people into really prominent positions - Clive Lewis, Jess Phillips, Lisa Nandy, Keir Starmer, Yvette Cooper, Hilary Benn, Angela Rayner.

There are plenty of blokes who wear their hearts on their sleeves as well so it’s not male chauvinist bollox. The other two people I have put forward are women. So stop looking fir offence where none exists.
[Post edited 16 Dec 2019 12:45]

Iron Lion Zion

Labour Party on 12:36 - Dec 16 with 503 viewsgordon

Labour Party on 12:22 - Dec 16 by GunnsAirkick

Rayner for me, she has balls and a very good 'back story' (now we're moving towards a more 'Presidential' format, I think it's important). I'm not sure about Phillips or Cooper as they'll be tainted with the 'Remainer' tag.

I'm going to consider all options though before making any decision, this is so important. If you're on the left of the party, I implore you to not automaticaly just select the Momentum ticket without considering all the candidates (the thought of Burgon as leader or even deputy is beyond laughable and will see Johnson in charge for ten years).

I'll listen to what they have to say too, but a Burgon / Long-Bailey ticket may well be one-way ticket to irrelevance.
Labour Party on 12:38 - Dec 16 with 498 viewsgordon

Labour Party on 12:34 - Dec 16 by GlasgowBlue

There are plenty of blokes who wear their hearts on their sleeves as well so it’s not male chauvinist bollox. The other two people I have put forward are women. So stop looking fir offence where none exists.
[Post edited 16 Dec 2019 12:45]

I wasn't offended!
Labour Party on 13:07 - Dec 16 with 462 viewsDubtractor

One thing that really needs to stop for me, is the constant use of language like "comrades" and "solidarity ".

Even as a lefty myself I find those terms cringeworthy and I have no doubt that they are a massive turn off for exactly the people that labour should be appealing to.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Labour Party on 13:12 - Dec 16 with 448 viewshampstead_blue

Jess is the softest of them I agree.

One thing I find hard about her is her 'way' of talking to camera in an interview. I always feel she is wanting to be a victim.

Not sure if this is universal, but her use of tone and accent may give a false impression.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Labour Party on 13:16 - Dec 16 with 441 viewsSwansea_Blue

Interesting couple of shouts for Jess Philips there. Have you seen the crap she has to put up with from Corbyn fans? I imagine Labour would continue to split themselves apart with her.

But what's the option? She'd probably win over the moderates and wavering voters, as well as the traditional (non-Corbynista) voters.

I like her; I'd certainly be much more likely to vote Labour if she was the leader than Corbyn, subject to their policies and all that.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Labour Party on 13:18 - Dec 16 with 437 viewsElephantintheRoom

Doesn't really matter who it is unless they wake up and smell the herbal tea. The only time Labour have been electable is 'New Labour' which the great unwashed in the grim north hated almost as much as Corbyn.

I doubt they will be electable in 5 years' time given how awful the Tories have been over the last decade and the pig's ear that Labour have made of the last 10 years.... what's going to change in 5 years? We won't be out of the EU - half out at best - and everything will be a lot more dysfunctional than now.... but when push comes to shove that seems to be what people like and vote for.

IF in 5 years time Scotland are on their way to independence - with or without a United Ireland.... then what relevance do Labour have? None - they will be forever unelectable..... and all because they couldn't form a government of national unity when it was presented to them by BJ in 2019

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Labour Party on 13:30 - Dec 16 with 414 viewsJimmyJazz

I've copy / pasted the below. Interesting point on how / why Labour lost the working class

It wasn’t the policies that led so many working class people in the north and midlands to vote Tory, it was Brexit and people’s perception of Corbyn, twisted beyond humanity by the media. I think that is pretty much self evident.

And the right wing Labour politicians must take their share of the blame for this utter calamity. The Blair years were characterised by big majorities in the very areas lost this time, so they make an easy contrast between then and now and pin the blame on the Left.

But the reality is completely different. Blair’s governments saw those votes as secure and provided by people with ‘nowhere else to go’. So he ignored their communities and focused on winning the votes of the better off around Britain who had traditionally voted Tory.

This worked for a time but it sowed the seeds of disillusionment and despair as people in those communities saw no changes for the better locally and felt taken for granted by London-based Labour.

This saw firstly a growth in support for the simplistic nationalism of UKIP, blaming ‘immigrants’ not central policy for the deprivation people felt. And once the referendum was called, the belief grew among many that Brexit provided the ideal opportunity to give a great big roar of rage against years of being taken for granted, patronised and ignored.

For whole swathes of people in those communities Brexit became a holy grail, appealing, ironically, to their old trade union instincts of standing together in solidarity against a perceived enemy. It became seen as a standard to carry against the rich, the elites, today’s equivalent of the miners’ lodge banner of yesterday.

Obviously it isn’t. Ten thousand people in Hartlepool voted for Brexit Party leader Richard Tice, a London based multimillionaire who made his money buying up bankrupt companies. I literally cannot think of anyone more at odds with the culture of those who voted for him. Apart, of course, from Boris Johnson with ‘Get Brexit Done’ as a catch-all panacea.

I do not believe a single word Johnson says about rejuvenating the communities of those who voted for him. I think the future for them Is going to be absolutely horrible and Labour need to be able to provide a logical, United and yes, radical alternative.

Part of me thinks that with the media in Its current state we will never win an election again unless we literally hold a meeting with the press billionaires and the other sources they intimidate and ask them to write the manifesto. That is effectively what Blair did by flying to Australia in 1997 to talk to Murdoch, and he is the only Labour leader to have won an election in the past 40 years. I completely understand why some people now say they’re giving up because it’s impossible for us ever to win - but they’re WRONG.

The demographics of the poll are out, and it confirms that we now have a government elected by old readers of the dead tree press against the wishes of the young. The demographics will change further, the role of the press with diminish further
[Post edited 16 Dec 2019 13:34]

Poll: If we could perm sign just one, which would it be?
Blog: Top Championship Teams?

Labour Party on 13:31 - Dec 16 with 409 viewsitfcjoe

Labour Party on 13:18 - Dec 16 by ElephantintheRoom

Doesn't really matter who it is unless they wake up and smell the herbal tea. The only time Labour have been electable is 'New Labour' which the great unwashed in the grim north hated almost as much as Corbyn.

I doubt they will be electable in 5 years' time given how awful the Tories have been over the last decade and the pig's ear that Labour have made of the last 10 years.... what's going to change in 5 years? We won't be out of the EU - half out at best - and everything will be a lot more dysfunctional than now.... but when push comes to shove that seems to be what people like and vote for.

IF in 5 years time Scotland are on their way to independence - with or without a United Ireland.... then what relevance do Labour have? None - they will be forever unelectable..... and all because they couldn't form a government of national unity when it was presented to them by BJ in 2019

This is the problem with the Corbyn wing of the party, there is never an attempt to be pragmatic and make compromises.

They may argue that Blair went too far with compromises and shifting over, but the Reds were still in power, and still making things better on the whole for the majority of the country. Education, Sure Start, Tax Credits, Min wage, NHS, etc

Labour Party on 13:34 - Dec 16 with 404 viewsbaxterbasics

Do they want to remain ideologically pure with a Momentum continuity candidate, or is Labour going to become a power-seeking party once again?

The problem is those close enough to the centre to win elections are all unacceptable to Momentum. That includes Jess Phillips, Cooper, Nandy, and Starmer.

zip
Poll: Your minimum standard of 'success' for our return to The Championship?

Labour Party on 13:35 - Dec 16 with 398 viewsgordon

Labour Party on 13:16 - Dec 16 by Swansea_Blue

Interesting couple of shouts for Jess Philips there. Have you seen the crap she has to put up with from Corbyn fans? I imagine Labour would continue to split themselves apart with her.

But what's the option? She'd probably win over the moderates and wavering voters, as well as the traditional (non-Corbynista) voters.

I like her; I'd certainly be much more likely to vote Labour if she was the leader than Corbyn, subject to their policies and all that.

In my opinion there's enough well-respected, likeable figures with a bit of gravitas in the Labour Party who could make Boris look like the fraud he is - the problem will be convincing the Momentum lot to let them.
Labour Party on 13:35 - Dec 16 with 397 viewsSwansea_Blue

Labour Party on 13:18 - Dec 16 by ElephantintheRoom

I'll start the People's Party of TWTD.

Manifesto
- I'll raise income tax by 0.5% to buy-out ITFC and transfer it into public ownership.
- We'll have a lotto draw each week from TWTD members to decide who takes the team that week.
- All transfer targets to be identified via the forum and graded according to def info status.
- All acolytes of PPTWTD also to receive a free hobnob on public holidays, which from now on will be rescheduled on the birthdays of ITFC legends.
- Any nasty stuff going on in the country, Phil gets the final say with his banhammer of doom (automatic deportation)

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Labour Party on 13:43 - Dec 16 with 377 viewsreusersfreekicks

Labour Party on 07:51 - Dec 16 by GlasgowBlue

Should have elected Cooper last time - by far the best of the 4 who bid to become leader
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024