Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
GE maps by age group 22:30 - Dec 30 with 5970 viewsSouperJim

Quite shocked by this, I expected a general trend towards labour the younger the voter, but the extent of the divide is massive.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/general-election-map-uk-young-old-voter

Essentially voters under 50 = labour landslide, voters over 50 = tory landslide

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

GE maps by age group on 11:02 - Dec 31 with 657 viewsNo9

GE maps by age group on 10:57 - Dec 31 by Pinewoodblue

I've queued for fuel in France and Ireland but the only times I can recall doing so in the UK is on budget day if Petrol went up 1d a gallon at 6pm.

I do remember being issued with a ration book for fuel though.

If you remember the ration book then you should remember Sailor Ted didn't ration petrol / diesel for boats that meant to avoid petrol rationing you could go to the petrol station with jerry cans & get as much as you wanted.
[Post edited 31 Dec 2019 11:16]
GE maps by age group on 11:12 - Dec 31 with 647 viewsSwansea_Blue

GE maps by age group on 10:39 - Dec 31 by BlueForYou

Spot on! I was going to say exactly the same. Oh & the reason Blair never had strikes was because Thatcher made them illegal. I was brought up in the 70's & Labour brought this country to its knees. It was generally worse than what you read. Strikes, strikes, strikes, for very little reason. 3 day working week, power cuts, rubbish went uncollected for months at one stage. We were a laughing stock throughout the world. Labour went on throughout the 80's with loony left wing councils creating the same chaos. Inhad enough & went to live in Australia!

Quite wide of the mark there; you seem to have conflated all the ails of a decade and picked a lazy explanation. The 3 day working week was under Ted Heath for starters (it was a Tory govt).

Very different times back then with a complex range of factors affecting the country, as Guthers has tried to explain a few times now.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

GE maps by age group on 12:24 - Dec 31 with 616 viewsjeera

GE maps by age group on 08:57 - Dec 31 by Leaky

Perhaps you cant remember the 60's & 70's then. Red Robbo bringing British Leyland to a stand still nearly every day. The dead not being buried during the Winter of Discontent. Oh yes great days. At least the music cheered us up.

I have no idea how that relates to today or why it would be like that again though, which is the point.

Many previous incarnations of government have done great and terrible things but that's not reason to vote/not vote for the same [named] party today.

Times have changed. I have repeated several times on here that there were 3 large strikes only a few weeks ago. Nothing to do with Labour.

If a few had opened their eyes they might have realised that many of the things workers didn't have back then, they do have now, and so work is a better place for people in general.

Much of that change came under EU rulings of course, but there ya go.
[Post edited 1 Jan 2020 13:44]

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

GE maps by age group on 12:33 - Dec 31 with 611 viewsBlueForYou

GE maps by age group on 11:01 - Dec 31 by Guthrum

3 Day Week and power cuts both under Heath's Conservative government in 1974.

Sandwiched between periods of Labour at a time when the unions were rampant & destroying the country. The winter of discontent was under Labour & inflation was around 15% from memory. No thanks! Blair took a far more responsible & business oriented approach, basically copying most of Bill Clinton’s ideas,& started off ok until he took us into Iraq.
GE maps by age group on 12:39 - Dec 31 with 606 viewsjeera

GE maps by age group on 11:12 - Dec 31 by Swansea_Blue

Quite wide of the mark there; you seem to have conflated all the ails of a decade and picked a lazy explanation. The 3 day working week was under Ted Heath for starters (it was a Tory govt).

Very different times back then with a complex range of factors affecting the country, as Guthers has tried to explain a few times now.

No, no, you're not understanding.

If we ever have another Labour government the country will be automatically thrust back in time.

The weather will readjust, all the jobs will disappear. As will mangoes.

TWTD will exist only in hard paper copies and the Audi offer will become Win A Capri [Ghia - of course].

And yet foreigners will be swarming over in their droves.

It's all very clear.

GE maps by age group on 12:43 - Dec 31 with 603 viewsPinewoodblue

GE maps by age group on 12:33 - Dec 31 by BlueForYou

Sandwiched between periods of Labour at a time when the unions were rampant & destroying the country. The winter of discontent was under Labour & inflation was around 15% from memory. No thanks! Blair took a far more responsible & business oriented approach, basically copying most of Bill Clinton’s ideas,& started off ok until he took us into Iraq.

Wrong again, your memory is letting you down

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

GE maps by age group on 12:44 - Dec 31 with 603 viewschicoazul

GE maps by age group on 10:57 - Dec 31 by Pinewoodblue

I've queued for fuel in France and Ireland but the only times I can recall doing so in the UK is on budget day if Petrol went up 1d a gallon at 6pm.

I do remember being issued with a ration book for fuel though.

I can remember queuing for petrol under Blair.

Ration books will be back within 20 years or so. Meat, petrol, dairy will all be subject to rationing for climate change reasons.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

GE maps by age group on 12:47 - Dec 31 with 601 viewsElephantintheRoom

There are two basic problems with this simplistic analysis- if you ignore the ther blinding reality that very few seats ever change:

There aren't that many voters in the 18-24 age group -

And as people earn a bit more they vote for self-interest and fall for the 'tax cuts' dangers of a marxist corbyn (insert name here) governement etc etc.

the tories are even trying their greed is good philosphy on the great unwashed even we speak.... minimum wage raised by 4 x the rate of inflation.... ignoring that this will be paid by employers who will put up prices - and that those hard-won populist Brexit votes have already lost people the equivalent of a year's salary since the referendum

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Login to get fewer ads

GE maps by age group on 13:53 - Dec 31 with 574 viewsnoggin

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

GE maps by age group on 14:32 - Dec 31 with 563 viewsflimflam

"Essentially voters under 50 = labour landslide, voters over 50 = tory landslide"

How on earth do they know who voted for who?

I would take this with a pinch of over dramatic salt.

All men and women are created, by the, you know the, you know the thing.

GE maps by age group on 14:40 - Dec 31 with 561 viewsGaryCooper

GE maps by age group on 08:24 - Dec 31 by jeera

Well that's some made-up bollox.

It only takes a few million misinformed like you, repeating this rubbish, and we can see how it went the way it did.

What part of it is not correct though?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/january/22/newsid_2506000/25067
GE maps by age group on 15:13 - Dec 31 with 544 viewsOxford_Blue

That’s mainly because only the young and naive would vote for Corbyn. They don’t yet earn any money to be taxed on, and have no life experience only ideals (not all bad of course).

I bet those who get good jobs and earn good money within 10 years from now would not vote for Corbyn. In fact the figures show a move towards the right as people get older and have more to lose.
GE maps by age group on 15:31 - Dec 31 with 530 viewsjeera

GE maps by age group on 14:40 - Dec 31 by GaryCooper

What part of it is not correct though?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/january/22/newsid_2506000/25067

That electing a Labour government in this day and age would not mean an automatic return to those times.

How many times does this have to be spelled out.

GE maps by age group on 15:44 - Dec 31 with 513 viewsHerbivore

GE maps by age group on 15:13 - Dec 31 by Oxford_Blue

That’s mainly because only the young and naive would vote for Corbyn. They don’t yet earn any money to be taxed on, and have no life experience only ideals (not all bad of course).

I bet those who get good jobs and earn good money within 10 years from now would not vote for Corbyn. In fact the figures show a move towards the right as people get older and have more to lose.

What a load of guff.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

GE maps by age group on 15:44 - Dec 31 with 512 viewsnoggin

"More to lose" or more to share with those less fortunate? Seems to be all about me me me with you tory voters.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

GE maps by age group on 16:45 - Dec 31 with 484 viewsjeera

You'd bet wrongly and all this post shows is your world view and the assumption that everyone else in your position thinks the way you do.

You've discredited yourself on some scale there.

GE maps by age group on 17:09 - Dec 31 with 474 viewsNthsuffolkblue

GE maps by age group on 14:32 - Dec 31 by flimflam

"Essentially voters under 50 = labour landslide, voters over 50 = tory landslide"

How on earth do they know who voted for who?

I would take this with a pinch of over dramatic salt.

Probably from exit polls which give a very accurate of the election outcome very regularly.

If they come from other pollsters then they would be less accurate.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

GE maps by age group on 17:11 - Dec 31 with 471 viewsNthsuffolkblue

GE maps by age group on 10:39 - Dec 31 by BlueForYou

Spot on! I was going to say exactly the same. Oh & the reason Blair never had strikes was because Thatcher made them illegal. I was brought up in the 70's & Labour brought this country to its knees. It was generally worse than what you read. Strikes, strikes, strikes, for very little reason. 3 day working week, power cuts, rubbish went uncollected for months at one stage. We were a laughing stock throughout the world. Labour went on throughout the 80's with loony left wing councils creating the same chaos. Inhad enough & went to live in Australia!

So "Thatcher made strikes illegal" which is why a Labour government since her did not have them and yet we need to worry that another Labour government would take us back to the 70s and general strikes?

With logic like that, there is little hope.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

GE maps by age group on 17:19 - Dec 31 with 461 viewsjeera

GE maps by age group on 17:11 - Dec 31 by Nthsuffolkblue

So "Thatcher made strikes illegal" which is why a Labour government since her did not have them and yet we need to worry that another Labour government would take us back to the 70s and general strikes?

With logic like that, there is little hope.

Heh.

It's like watching a Harry Enfield creation at times.

GE maps by age group on 17:22 - Dec 31 with 454 viewsStokieBlue

GE maps by age group on 01:29 - Dec 31 by Sarge

Democracy, whilst crap, is made more crap by FPTP. At least PR would give some semblance of representation.

I would hope that this generation of young people, when they grow up won’t forget the ideals of fairness and tolerance and slip to the right. There’s some adage about voting labour when young and Tory when old. Let’s hope we buck that trend.

Edit: although I guess I’ve bucked it the other way because I didn’t vote for labour.
[Post edited 31 Dec 2019 1:31]

I'm interested in your first 3 words.

Can you expand on what alternative system would be less-crap than democracy?

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

GE maps by age group on 17:47 - Dec 31 with 438 viewsOxford_Blue

GE maps by age group on 15:44 - Dec 31 by Herbivore

What a load of guff.

To quote Hitchens, that which is asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.
GE maps by age group on 17:49 - Dec 31 with 434 viewsOxford_Blue

GE maps by age group on 16:45 - Dec 31 by jeera

You'd bet wrongly and all this post shows is your world view and the assumption that everyone else in your position thinks the way you do.

You've discredited yourself on some scale there.

Nope. I’ve just set out a view and explained why.

I’ve never claimed that everyone agrees.

In any event, I pay around £50-60,000 tax every year, not counting National Insurance, so it’s utter nonsense to say that Tory voters don’t contribute. I bet I pay more tax than many, so contribute more.
GE maps by age group on 17:52 - Dec 31 with 430 viewsOxford_Blue

GE maps by age group on 15:44 - Dec 31 by noggin

"More to lose" or more to share with those less fortunate? Seems to be all about me me me with you tory voters.

Hardly. As I said already, the more successful you are, the more tax you pay.

There is absolutely nothing to be ashamed of in working hard, and wanting to do well for yourself. Quite rightly, enlightened self interest means that the tax you pay as you earn more money increases. So you’ll find that successful high earners contribute a lot to the system.

Your parody of conservative voters is outdated and untrue.
GE maps by age group on 18:01 - Dec 31 with 422 viewsStokieBlue

GE maps by age group on 17:47 - Dec 31 by Oxford_Blue

To quote Hitchens, that which is asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.

A paradigm you may wish to apply to your initial post.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

GE maps by age group on 18:03 - Dec 31 with 415 viewsOxford_Blue

GE maps by age group on 18:01 - Dec 31 by StokieBlue

A paradigm you may wish to apply to your initial post.

SB

Hardly! I at least explained why I thought what I did as opposed to a one line “oh that’s rubbish” response. And in any event the whole point is that the OP says those who are older are less likely to vote Labour.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024